DVD ISO - Copy to flash drive/USB HDD? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on DVD ISO - Copy to flash drive/USB HDD? - Ubuntu ; I'm trying to install Ubuntu onto my old HP Pavilion N5495 laptop. This is an 1Ghz Intel P3M CPU with 1 gig of memory and an Intel i830MG chipset. Once I've chosen my language, and then start the install process ...

  1. DVD ISO - Copy to flash drive/USB HDD?

    I'm trying to install Ubuntu onto my old HP Pavilion N5495 laptop. This
    is an 1Ghz Intel P3M CPU with 1 gig of memory and an Intel i830MG
    chipset.

    Once I've chosen my language, and then start the install process the
    laptop will freeze, or throw a bunch of I/O errors.

    I have verified that the DVD I burned is good. This means that my
    optical drive is failing, the hard drive is failing, or I'm having
    memory issues. It could also be a compatibility issue, but I doubt
    this.

    I'd like to know, is it possible to "burn" the install ISO to a flash
    memory stick, or a USB hard drive? If so, how? Installing from one of
    these should help prove out some of my hardware. How about a network
    install?

    Any help is appreciated!

    --
    Fight Usenet Spam!!! - http://improve-usenet.org:80/

    Want a great newsgroup reader that will filter out the flood of
    newgroup spam?
    Try MesNews - http://www.mesnews.net/gb/

    If you want your posts to be seen, DON'T USE GOOGLE GROUPS!

  2. Re: DVD ISO - Copy to flash drive/USB HDD?

    Calab wrote:
    > I'd like to know, is it possible to "burn" the install ISO to a flash
    > memory stick, or a USB hard drive? If so, how? Installing from one of
    > these should help prove out some of my hardware. How about a network
    > install?

    This may help, or search for other USB installs on this page:
    http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2008/04...drive-install/

    --Benjamin Franklin

  3. Re: DVD ISO - Copy to flash drive/USB HDD?

    On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 01:28:09 +0000, johnny bobby bee wrote:

    > Calab wrote:
    >> I'd like to know, is it possible to "burn" the install ISO to a flash
    >> memory stick, or a USB hard drive? If so, how? Installing from one of
    >> these should help prove out some of my hardware. How about a network
    >> install?

    > This may help, or search for other USB installs on this page:
    > http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2008/04...sb-hard-drive-

    install/

    Just used this to do a pendrive 8.04 install; went smoothly except for an
    grub "Error 17" on boot and had to change fd1,0 to fd0,0 in menu.lst. Now
    if I can only find out why it won't accept my password I'd be up and
    running! LOL!

    Actually I think the OP doesn't want to install to a pendrive but rather
    use the pendrive (coupled with the iso) as a replacement for a CDROM
    install; at first, I read it as a pendrive install too! :-)

    FWIW....the first time I tried to do a pendrive install I used a virtual
    CD with the ISO but for some reason it didn't do an installation but
    rather "unpack" the actually installation files from the ISO and copy
    them to the pendrive. I didn't persue exactly why this happened but the
    experience I had may point to being able to use the pen drive as a
    repository for the installation files.

  4. Re: DVD ISO - Copy to flash drive/USB HDD?

    On 2008-06-20, propman wrote:
    > On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 01:28:09 +0000, johnny bobby bee wrote:
    >
    >> Calab wrote:
    >>> I'd like to know, is it possible to "burn" the install ISO to a flash
    >>> memory stick, or a USB hard drive? If so, how? Installing from one of
    >>> these should help prove out some of my hardware. How about a network
    >>> install?

    >> This may help, or search for other USB installs on this page:
    >> http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2008/04...sb-hard-drive-

    > install/
    >
    > Just used this to do a pendrive 8.04 install; went smoothly except for an
    > grub "Error 17" on boot and had to change fd1,0 to fd0,0 in menu.lst. Now
    > if I can only find out why it won't accept my password I'd be up and
    > running! LOL!
    >
    > Actually I think the OP doesn't want to install to a pendrive but rather
    > use the pendrive (coupled with the iso) as a replacement for a CDROM
    > install; at first, I read it as a pendrive install too! :-)

    It's the same thing, with some minor differences. In this case, you
    need to copy the CD to the pendrive (not an iso), then you need to
    make the pendrive bootable. You boot off of the pendrive as a livecd,
    then do your install...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  5. Re: DVD ISO - Copy to flash drive/USB HDD?

    >> Calab wrote:
    >>> I'd like to know, is it possible to "burn" the install ISO to a flash
    >>> memory stick, or a USB hard drive? If so, how? Installing from one of
    >>> these should help prove out some of my hardware. How about a network
    >>> install?

    >> This may help, or search for other USB installs on this page:
    >> http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2008/04...sb-hard-drive-

    > install/
    >
    > Actually I think the OP doesn't want to install to a pendrive but rather
    > use the pendrive (coupled with the iso) as a replacement for a CDROM
    > install; at first, I read it as a pendrive install too! :-)

    Exactly right!

    I still want it installed to the hard drive in my laptop. I just want
    the installer to run from something other than my optical drive.

    I'm going to try and find a USB/Firewire enclosure to mount another DVD
    drive into. Not sure how well this will work as PC's won't boot from
    firewire and the USB ports are only 1.1.

    --
    Fight Usenet Spam!!! - http://improve-usenet.org:80/

    Want a great newsgroup reader that will filter out the flood of
    newgroup spam?
    Try MesNews - http://www.mesnews.net/gb/

    If you want your posts to be seen, DON'T USE GOOGLE GROUPS!

  6. Re: DVD ISO - Copy to flash drive/USB HDD?

    Calab wrote:
    > I'm trying to install Ubuntu onto my old HP Pavilion N5495 laptop. This
    > is an 1Ghz Intel P3M CPU with 1 gig of memory and an Intel i830MG chipset.
    >
    > Once I've chosen my language, and then start the install process the
    > laptop will freeze, or throw a bunch of I/O errors.
    >
    > I have verified that the DVD I burned is good. This means that my
    > optical drive is failing, the hard drive is failing, or I'm having
    > memory issues. It could also be a compatibility issue, but I doubt this.
    >
    > I'd like to know, is it possible to "burn" the install ISO to a flash
    > memory stick, or a USB hard drive? If so, how? Installing from one of
    > these should help prove out some of my hardware. How about a network
    > install?
    >
    > Any help is appreciated!

    This might help:
    https://launchpad.net/liveusb

    --
    JimP

  7. Re: DVD ISO - Copy to flash drive/USB HDD?

    On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 00:00:12 +0000, Calab wrote:

    > I'm trying to install Ubuntu onto my old HP Pavilion N5495 laptop. This is
    > an 1Ghz Intel P3M CPU with 1 gig of memory and an Intel i830MG chipset.
    >
    > Once I've chosen my language, and then start the install process the
    > laptop will freeze, or throw a bunch of I/O errors.
    >
    > I have verified that the DVD I burned is good. This means that my optical
    > drive is failing, the hard drive is failing, or I'm having memory issues.
    > It could also be a compatibility issue, but I doubt this.
    >
    > I'd like to know, is it possible to "burn" the install ISO to a flash
    > memory stick, or a USB hard drive? If so, how? Installing from one of
    > these should help prove out some of my hardware. How about a network
    > install?
    >
    > Any help is appreciated!

    Boot from the optical drive and do a memory test.

  8. Re: DVD ISO - Copy to flash drive/USB HDD?

    On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 22:03:00 -0500, Joe wrote:

    > On 2008-06-20, propman wrote:

    >>> This may help, or search for other USB installs on this page:
    >>> http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2008/04...sb-hard-drive-

    >> install/
    >>
    >> Just used this to do a pendrive 8.04 install; went smoothly except for
    >> an grub "Error 17" on boot and had to change fd1,0 to fd0,0 in
    >> menu.lst. Now if I can only find out why it won't accept my password
    >> I'd be up and running! LOL!
    >>
    >> Actually I think the OP doesn't want to install to a pendrive but
    >> rather use the pendrive (coupled with the iso) as a replacement for a
    >> CDROM install; at first, I read it as a pendrive install too! :-)

    > It's the same thing, with some minor differences. In this case, you
    > need to copy the CD to the pendrive (not an iso), then you need to make
    > the pendrive bootable. You boot off of the pendrive as a livecd, then
    > do your install...

    Ummmm.......how does one copy the contents of a CD without using a CDROM/
    DVD drive? ;-)

  9. Re: DVD ISO - Copy to flash drive/USB HDD?

    On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 04:18:33 +0000, Calab wrote:

    >>> This may help, or search for other USB installs on this page:
    >>> http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2008/04...sb-hard-drive-

    >> install/
    >>
    >> Actually I think the OP doesn't want to install to a pendrive but
    >> rather use the pendrive (coupled with the iso) as a replacement for a
    >> CDROM install; at first, I read it as a pendrive install too! :-)

    > Exactly right!
    >
    > I still want it installed to the hard drive in my laptop. I just want
    > the installer to run from something other than my optical drive.
    >
    > I'm going to try and find a USB/Firewire enclosure to mount another DVD
    > drive into. Not sure how well this will work as PC's won't boot from
    > firewire and the USB ports are only 1.1.

    .......and you might be further ahead to go this route if my latest
    experience with a pendrive installation is any indication. After finding
    out that my first pendrive install wouldn't accept my password at logon,
    I decided to just wipe the first install and then do another install.
    Again, grub got buggered up but even worse than the first time; there
    seems to be some kind of interaction between the main system install and
    the pendrive install which buggers up the hdx,y etc parameters in grub.
    Plus it seems that some of the files from the /boot/grub directory on my
    main system were nuked.....only found that out by noticing they were
    present in /boot/grub directory on the pendrive.

    .........and to cap it all off.......the pendrive boots fine until it hits
    xwindow; even using the recovery mode boot along with the "fix xwindow"
    option hasn't resolved the problem.

    Time to peruse the docs again I guess!

    Good luck with your endevours....hopefully you will have smooth
    sailing. :-)

  10. Re: DVD ISO - Copy to flash drive/USB HDD?

    On 2008-06-21, propman wrote:
    > On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 22:03:00 -0500, Joe wrote:

    >>> install/
    >>>
    >>> Just used this to do a pendrive 8.04 install; went smoothly except for
    >>> an grub "Error 17" on boot and had to change fd1,0 to fd0,0 in
    >>> menu.lst. Now if I can only find out why it won't accept my password
    >>> I'd be up and running! LOL!
    >>>
    >>> Actually I think the OP doesn't want to install to a pendrive but
    >>> rather use the pendrive (coupled with the iso) as a replacement for a
    >>> CDROM install; at first, I read it as a pendrive install too! :-)

    >> It's the same thing, with some minor differences. In this case, you
    >> need to copy the CD to the pendrive (not an iso), then you need to make
    >> the pendrive bootable. You boot off of the pendrive as a livecd, then
    >> do your install...

    > Ummmm.......how does one copy the contents of a CD without using a CDROM/
    > DVD drive? ;-)

    Mount the iso file, then copy the contents. You can either use the
    mount command at a terminal prompt, or you can use gmount-iso if you
    are a gui type guy...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  11. Re: DVD ISO - Copy to flash drive/USB HDD?

    On 2008-06-21, propman wrote:

    >>> install/
    >>>
    >>> Actually I think the OP doesn't want to install to a pendrive but
    >>> rather use the pendrive (coupled with the iso) as a replacement for a
    >>> CDROM install; at first, I read it as a pendrive install too! :-)

    >> Exactly right!
    >>
    >> I still want it installed to the hard drive in my laptop. I just want
    >> the installer to run from something other than my optical drive.
    >>
    >> I'm going to try and find a USB/Firewire enclosure to mount another DVD
    >> drive into. Not sure how well this will work as PC's won't boot from
    >> firewire and the USB ports are only 1.1.

    > ......and you might be further ahead to go this route if my latest
    > experience with a pendrive installation is any indication. After finding
    > out that my first pendrive install wouldn't accept my password at logon,
    > I decided to just wipe the first install and then do another install.
    > Again, grub got buggered up but even worse than the first time; there
    > seems to be some kind of interaction between the main system install and
    > the pendrive install which buggers up the hdx,y etc parameters in grub.
    > Plus it seems that some of the files from the /boot/grub directory on my
    > main system were nuked.....only found that out by noticing they were
    > present in /boot/grub directory on the pendrive.

    Consider how the sd(x) designation is made in the first place. A lot
    of it will have to do with the boot order of your BIOS. If you set
    the USB as the first boot item, it will be sda, but when you boot to
    the hard drive and do the installation, the usb is probably NOT sda.
    So, after you install, go through the menu.list and figure out what
    should be where.

    Also, if you boot from the HD to do the install, or if the HD is ahead
    of the USB in the boot order, it is very likely that the default
    destination of grub will be the HD. It will certainly mess up what is
    already there...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  12. Re: DVD ISO - Copy to flash drive/USB HDD?

    On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 23:38:09 -0500, Joe wrote:

    >>> Exactly right!
    >>>
    >>> I still want it installed to the hard drive in my laptop. I just want
    >>> the installer to run from something other than my optical drive.
    >>>
    >>> I'm going to try and find a USB/Firewire enclosure to mount another
    >>> DVD drive into. Not sure how well this will work as PC's won't boot
    >>> from firewire and the USB ports are only 1.1.

    >> ......and you might be further ahead to go this route if my latest
    >> experience with a pendrive installation is any indication. After
    >> finding out that my first pendrive install wouldn't accept my password
    >> at logon, I decided to just wipe the first install and then do another
    >> install. Again, grub got buggered up but even worse than the first
    >> time; there seems to be some kind of interaction between the main
    >> system install and the pendrive install which buggers up the hdx,y etc
    >> parameters in grub. Plus it seems that some of the files from the
    >> /boot/grub directory on my main system were nuked.....only found that
    >> out by noticing they were present in /boot/grub directory on the
    >> pendrive.

    > Consider how the sd(x) designation is made in the first place. A lot of
    > it will have to do with the boot order of your BIOS. If you set the USB
    > as the first boot item, it will be sda, but when you boot to the hard
    > drive and do the installation, the usb is probably NOT sda. So, after
    > you install, go through the menu.list and figure out what should be
    > where.

    Yeppers.....that's been part of the learning process for the last day!
    LOL!

    > Also, if you boot from the HD to do the install, or if the HD is ahead
    > of the USB in the boot order, it is very likely that the default
    > destination of grub will be the HD. It will certainly mess up what is
    > already there...

    Yeppers again....and it made a mess alright. The install was done from
    the LiveCD..... IMHO, there should be some kind of insulation there so
    it's taken care of automatically but what the f**k do I know? ;-)

  13. Re: DVD ISO - Copy to flash drive/USB HDD?

    On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 23:26:40 -0500, Joe wrote:

    > On 2008-06-21, propman wrote:

    >>> It's the same thing, with some minor differences. In this case, you
    >>> need to copy the CD to the pendrive (not an iso), then you need to
    >>> make the pendrive bootable. You boot off of the pendrive as a livecd,
    >>> then do your install...

    >> Ummmm.......how does one copy the contents of a CD without using a
    >> CDROM/ DVD drive? ;-)
    >>

    > Mount the iso file, then copy the contents. You can either use the
    > mount command at a terminal prompt, or you can use gmount-iso if you are
    > a gui type guy...

    Ahhhhhh......very cool! Wasn't aware that such a beastie existed...thank
    you very much for the update sir! Sounds like something the OP could also
    use...hopefully he's reading these other messages too. :-)

  14. Re: DVD ISO - Copy to flash drive/USB HDD?

    On 2008-06-21, propman wrote:
    > Yeppers again....and it made a mess alright. The install was done from
    > the LiveCD..... IMHO, there should be some kind of insulation there so
    > it's taken care of automatically but what the f**k do I know? ;-)

    That'd be great, but it is hard for the installer to know just exactly
    what you are trying to do. Pendrives were never really designed to be
    a boot device, so when trying to do something out of the ordinary, it
    make take special steps and/or knowledge...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  15. Re: DVD ISO - Copy to flash drive/USB HDD?

    > I'm trying to install Ubuntu onto my old HP Pavilion N5495 laptop. This is an
    > 1Ghz Intel P3M CPU with 1 gig of memory and an Intel i830MG chipset.
    >
    > Once I've chosen my language, and then start the install process the laptop
    > will freeze, or throw a bunch of I/O errors.
    >
    > I have verified that the DVD I burned is good. This means that my optical
    > drive is failing, the hard drive is failing, or I'm having memory issues. It
    > could also be a compatibility issue, but I doubt this.

    FYI... It was the CDRom drive in my laptop causing the issues.

    My Memtest came up clean. HDD tests passed. Scan of the install DVD
    using another PC passed fine.

    Fortunately, I had another drive that was missing the spindle hub. I
    pulled the hub from my flaky drive in installed it to that drive and
    it's 100% again!

    Thanks all!

    --
    Fight Usenet Spam!!! - http://improve-usenet.org:80/

    Want a great newsgroup reader that will filter out the flood of
    newgroup spam?
    Try MesNews - http://www.mesnews.net/gb/

    If you want your posts to be seen, DON'T USE GOOGLE GROUPS!

  16. Re: DVD ISO - Copy to flash drive/USB HDD?

    Calab wrote:
    > I'm trying to install Ubuntu onto my old HP Pavilion N5495 laptop. This
    > is an 1Ghz Intel P3M CPU with 1 gig of memory and an Intel i830MG chipset.
    >
    > Once I've chosen my language, and then start the install process the
    > laptop will freeze, or throw a bunch of I/O errors.
    >
    > I have verified that the DVD I burned is good. This means that my
    > optical drive is failing, the hard drive is failing, or I'm having
    > memory issues. It could also be a compatibility issue, but I doubt this.
    >
    > I'd like to know, is it possible to "burn" the install ISO to a flash
    > memory stick, or a USB hard drive? If so, how? Installing from one of
    > these should help prove out some of my hardware. How about a network
    > install?
    >
    > Any help is appreciated!

    have you tried installing from an image on another computer? your laptop
    should have a NIC you can use for this.

  17. Re: DVD ISO - Copy to flash drive/USB HDD?

    Calab wrote:
    > I'm trying to install Ubuntu onto my old HP Pavilion N5495 laptop. This
    > is an 1Ghz Intel P3M CPU with 1 gig of memory and an Intel i830MG chipset.
    >
    > Once I've chosen my language, and then start the install process the
    > laptop will freeze, or throw a bunch of I/O errors.
    >
    > I have verified that the DVD I burned is good. This means that my
    > optical drive is failing, the hard drive is failing, or I'm having
    > memory issues. It could also be a compatibility issue, but I doubt this.

    Have you ran Memtest from a bootable CD/DVD? Is the system stable when
    using the live DVD?

+ Reply to Thread