Support for older versions of ubuntu - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Support for older versions of ubuntu - Ubuntu ; I do not consider Hardy to be ready for production installs. Too many problems. I need to set up a production server that would not bother me with freezes, etc. My experience with Gutsy was very good with zero freezes. ...

  1. Support for older versions of ubuntu

    I do not consider Hardy to be ready for production installs. Too many
    problems.

    I need to set up a production server that would not bother me with
    freezes, etc. My experience with Gutsy was very good with zero
    freezes.

    My question concerns what happens when "support ends" for Gutsy next
    year.

    I understand and accept that no new patches will be released. But will
    the repos go away also? Would I be able to install additional packages
    after support ends?
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  2. Re: Support for older versions of ubuntu

    On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 14:30:59 -0500, Ignoramus8073 wrote:

    > I do not consider Hardy to be ready for production installs. Too many
    > problems.
    >
    > I need to set up a production server that would not bother me with
    > freezes, etc. My experience with Gutsy was very good with zero freezes.
    >
    > My question concerns what happens when "support ends" for Gutsy next year.
    >
    > I understand and accept that no new patches will be released. But will the
    > repos go away also? Would I be able to install additional packages after
    > support ends?

    I don't think you'll have problems. Legacy repos in the universe
    community already exist. Same with multiverse and even in the main for a
    period of time. And with the correct developmental bins installed, you'll
    be able make your own stuff from source.

  3. Re: Support for older versions of ubuntu

    On 2008-06-19, Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 14:30:59 -0500, Ignoramus8073 wrote:
    >
    >> I do not consider Hardy to be ready for production installs. Too many
    >> problems.
    >>
    >> I need to set up a production server that would not bother me with
    >> freezes, etc. My experience with Gutsy was very good with zero freezes.
    >>
    >> My question concerns what happens when "support ends" for Gutsy next year.
    >>
    >> I understand and accept that no new patches will be released. But will the
    >> repos go away also? Would I be able to install additional packages after
    >> support ends?

    > I don't think you'll have problems. Legacy repos in the universe
    > community already exist. Same with multiverse and even in the main for a
    > period of time. And with the correct developmental bins installed, you'll
    > be able make your own stuff from source.

    So I will basically change URLs to point to some other "legacy repo"
    website and I will be able to install stuff beyond expiration. Right?

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  4. Re: Support for older versions of ubuntu

    On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 15:47:00 -0500, Ignoramus8073 wrote:

    > On 2008-06-19, Meat Plow wrote:
    >> On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 14:30:59 -0500, Ignoramus8073 wrote:
    >>
    >>> I do not consider Hardy to be ready for production installs. Too many
    >>> problems.
    >>>
    >>> I need to set up a production server that would not bother me with
    >>> freezes, etc. My experience with Gutsy was very good with zero freezes.
    >>>
    >>> My question concerns what happens when "support ends" for Gutsy next
    >>> year.
    >>>
    >>> I understand and accept that no new patches will be released. But will
    >>> the repos go away also? Would I be able to install additional packages
    >>> after support ends?

    >> I don't think you'll have problems. Legacy repos in the universe
    >> community already exist. Same with multiverse and even in the main for a
    >> period of time. And with the correct developmental bins installed,
    >> you'll be able make your own stuff from source.
    >>

    > So I will basically change URLs to point to some other "legacy repo"
    > website and I will be able to install stuff beyond expiration. Right?

    Synaptic package manager has a repository setting to allow it do look in
    many locations. You can search the web for the packages you want and add
    these repository(s) to your database for future lookups with their
    supplied instructions. There are many options available to you so you're
    not dead in the water after major updates/upgrades occur in the main
    repositories.

  5. Re: Support for older versions of ubuntu

    On 2008-06-19, Ignoramus8073 wrote:
    > I do not consider Hardy to be ready for production installs. Too many
    > problems.

    > I need to set up a production server that would not bother me with
    > freezes, etc. My experience with Gutsy was very good with zero
    > freezes.

    If you truly want a trouble free production server, you should not be
    considering *ANY* version of Ubuntu. This is not a slam against Ubuntu,
    just a statement of opinion from an experienced sysadmin and linux user.

    I recommend Slackware. There is nothing more stable.

    > My question concerns what happens when "support ends" for Gutsy next
    > year.

    Do you really need "support"? What do you expect "support" to do for
    you? You can't update a few packages now and then, all by yourself?

    > I understand and accept that no new patches will be released. But will
    > the repos go away also? Would I be able to install additional packages
    > after support ends?

    Slackware is still providing security updates (packages) back as far as
    version 10.0 (current version is 12.1). Version 10.0 was released 4
    years ago, and will continue to be supported for the foreseeable future.
    Chances are that once you get beyond 4-5 years, you'll want to upgrade
    the production server anyway, for various reasons.

    Seriously, you cannot do better than Slackware for something important.

  6. Re: Support for older versions of ubuntu

    On 2008-06-19, Ignoramus8073 wrote:
    > I do not consider Hardy to be ready for production installs. Too many
    > problems.
    >
    > I need to set up a production server that would not bother me with
    > freezes, etc. My experience with Gutsy was very good with zero
    > freezes.
    >
    > My question concerns what happens when "support ends" for Gutsy next
    > year.
    >
    > I understand and accept that no new patches will be released. But will
    > the repos go away also? Would I be able to install additional packages
    > after support ends?

    For a while, but not forever. For instance, Edgy has now been
    dropped. The repos are gone. Edgy was 6.10, so it isn't even 2 years
    old yet.

    If server stability is important, you are best off sticking with the
    LTS releases. A server LTS has 5 years of support, so Dapper is still
    out there, and will remain until 2011.06.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  7. Re: Support for older versions of ubuntu

    On 2008-06-20, Dan C wrote:
    > On 2008-06-19, Ignoramus8073 wrote:
    >> I do not consider Hardy to be ready for production installs. Too many
    >> problems.

    >> I need to set up a production server that would not bother me with
    >> freezes, etc. My experience with Gutsy was very good with zero
    >> freezes.

    > If you truly want a trouble free production server, you should not be
    > considering *ANY* version of Ubuntu. This is not a slam against Ubuntu,
    > just a statement of opinion from an experienced sysadmin and linux user.
    >
    > I recommend Slackware. There is nothing more stable.

    What kernel does it run?

    >> My question concerns what happens when "support ends" for Gutsy next
    >> year.

    > Do you really need "support"? What do you expect "support" to do for
    > you? You can't update a few packages now and then, all by yourself?

    I want packages to be available in repos. Just in case if I want to
    add more stuff.

    I have a fedora server that went out of support, and at times it is a
    real pain in the ass.

    >> I understand and accept that no new patches will be released. But will
    >> the repos go away also? Would I be able to install additional packages
    >> after support ends?

    > Slackware is still providing security updates (packages) back as far as
    > version 10.0 (current version is 12.1). Version 10.0 was released 4
    > years ago, and will continue to be supported for the foreseeable future.
    > Chances are that once you get beyond 4-5 years, you'll want to upgrade
    > the production server anyway, for various reasons.

    I would say 5 years is all I care about.

    > Seriously, you cannot do better than Slackware for something important.

    I think that I used it very many years ago., Cannot remember anymore.
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  8. Re: Support for older versions of ubuntu

    On 2008-06-20, Ignoramus8073 wrote:

    >> If you truly want a trouble free production server, you should not be
    >> considering *ANY* version of Ubuntu. This is not a slam against Ubuntu,
    >> just a statement of opinion from an experienced sysadmin and linux user.
    >>
    >> I recommend Slackware. There is nothing more stable.

    > What kernel does it run?

    The default is 2.6.24.5.

    >>> My question concerns what happens when "support ends" for Gutsy next
    >>> year.

    >> Do you really need "support"? What do you expect "support" to do for
    >> you? You can't update a few packages now and then, all by yourself?

    > I want packages to be available in repos. Just in case if I want to
    > add more stuff.

    There are "repos" for Slackware packages. The only real difference is
    that you manually download the desired package, and then manually
    install it with a command like: "installpkg ". Not real
    difficult. There are also scripts called "slackbuilds" that compile
    some application source code for you and automatically make a Slack
    package for installation.