Update: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Update: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection - Ubuntu ; FWIW........ Quick recap of problem: Under Ubuntu v8.04, my Acer Aspire 7720 onboard Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection will make connection with provider, obtain valid IP, gateway and DNS but not get out on the web, or receive valid pings ...

  1. Update: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

    FWIW........

    Quick recap of problem:

    Under Ubuntu v8.04, my Acer Aspire 7720 onboard Intel PRO/Wireless
    3945ABG Network Connection will make connection with provider, obtain
    valid IP, gateway and DNS but not get out on the web, or receive valid
    pings etc.

    My two external USB D-Link wirelesses have no problems; no change in
    networking config files etc have been made to accommodate the function of
    these units.

    Tried something different this morning......

    Booted up the Ubuntu v8.04 LiveCD which I made from the Ubuntu 8.04 ISO;
    disk passes validity checks and has been used for my current permanent
    installation without any problems. The "Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
    Network Connection" still exhibits the same problem as described above.

    Booted up the Ubuntu v7.10 LiveCD which I received with a Linux magazine.
    Absolutely no problems connecting and getting valid pings, out on the web
    etc with the "Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection".

    Methinks something got a little screwy between the two releases. :-)

    PS...For anyone who is interested, please see the original thread titled
    "Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection" for further details
    concerning ifconfig, lshw etc.

  2. Re: Update: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

    propman illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > FWIW........
    >
    > Quick recap of problem:
    >
    > Under Ubuntu v8.04, my Acer Aspire 7720 onboard Intel PRO/Wireless
    > 3945ABG Network Connection will make connection with provider, obtain
    > valid IP, gateway and DNS but not get out on the web, or receive valid
    > pings etc.
    >
    > My two external USB D-Link wirelesses have no problems; no change in
    > networking config files etc have been made to accommodate the function of
    > these units.
    >
    > Tried something different this morning......
    >
    > Booted up the Ubuntu v8.04 LiveCD which I made from the Ubuntu 8.04 ISO;
    > disk passes validity checks and has been used for my current permanent
    > installation without any problems. The "Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
    > Network Connection" still exhibits the same problem as described above.
    >
    > Booted up the Ubuntu v7.10 LiveCD which I received with a Linux magazine.
    > Absolutely no problems connecting and getting valid pings, out on the web
    > etc with the "Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection".
    >

    > Methinks something got a little screwy between the two releases. :-)
    >
    > PS...For anyone who is interested, please see the original thread titled
    > "Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection" for further details
    > concerning ifconfig, lshw etc.

    Could it be an ipv6 issue?

    I thought ISP's were providing full access, but it's possible that you
    need to blacklist IPv6 and remove the relevant entries from your hosts
    file.

    Full details of this procedure can be found at ubuntuforums.org.

    Worth a try?

    --
    Moog

    “Are you going to come quietly, or do I have to use earplugs?”

  3. Re: Update: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

    On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 16:55:18 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > propman illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>

    >> FWIW........
    >>
    >> Quick recap of problem:
    >>
    >> Under Ubuntu v8.04, my Acer Aspire 7720 onboard Intel PRO/Wireless
    >> 3945ABG Network Connection will make connection with provider, obtain
    >> valid IP, gateway and DNS but not get out on the web, or receive valid
    >> pings etc.
    >>
    >> My two external USB D-Link wirelesses have no problems; no change in
    >> networking config files etc have been made to accommodate the function
    >> of these units.
    >>
    >> Tried something different this morning......
    >>
    >> Booted up the Ubuntu v8.04 LiveCD which I made from the Ubuntu 8.04
    >> ISO; disk passes validity checks and has been used for my current
    >> permanent installation without any problems. The "Intel PRO/Wireless
    >> 3945ABG Network Connection" still exhibits the same problem as
    >> described above.
    >>
    >> Booted up the Ubuntu v7.10 LiveCD which I received with a Linux
    >> magazine. Absolutely no problems connecting and getting valid pings,
    >> out on the web etc with the "Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network
    >> Connection".
    >>

    >> Methinks something got a little screwy between the two releases. :-)
    >>
    >> PS...For anyone who is interested, please see the original thread
    >> titled "Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection" for further
    >> details concerning ifconfig, lshw etc.

    > Could it be an ipv6 issue?
    >
    > I thought ISP's were providing full access, but it's possible that you
    > need to blacklist IPv6 and remove the relevant entries from your hosts
    > file.
    >
    > Full details of this procedure can be found at ubuntuforums.org.
    >
    > Worth a try?

    Good point and one which I tried before but, IIRC, one I forgot to
    mention in my original posting on this topic; unfortunately, blacklisting
    IPv6 didn't rectify the problem.

    Maybe I should send away for a LiveCD direct from Ubuntu....if it works,
    then there's something wrong with their ISO setup. Really can't see them
    utilizing a different setup for their LiveCD distribution disks that they
    mail out than what's present in the ISO but......

    Hmmm.....maybe won't have to do that if some of the other rascals here
    who have the same unit working in their regular setup would try the v8.04
    ISO (32 bit) to see what happens.

    Anyways, bit of a head scratcher alright.....thanks again for your input
    Moog. :-)

  4. Re: Update: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

    propman illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > Good point and one which I tried before but, IIRC, one I forgot to
    > mention in my original posting on this topic; unfortunately, blacklisting
    > IPv6 didn't rectify the problem.
    >
    > Maybe I should send away for a LiveCD direct from Ubuntu....if it works,
    > then there's something wrong with their ISO setup. Really can't see them
    > utilizing a different setup for their LiveCD distribution disks that they
    > mail out than what's present in the ISO but......

    No. That wouldn't make any difference at all. Shipit provides the same
    CD as you download.

    What could be worth trying is getting hold of Gutsy and seeing how
    that works. If you see an improvement, then upgrade to Hardy using a
    distribution upgrade

    > Hmmm.....maybe won't have to do that if some of the other rascals here
    > who have the same unit working in their regular setup would try the v8.04
    > ISO (32 bit) to see what happens.

    I'm posting using the same wireless card.

    > Anyways, bit of a head scratcher alright.....thanks again for your input
    > Moog. :-)

    NP.

    --
    Moog

    “Are you going to come quietly, or do I have to use earplugs?”

  5. Re: Update: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

    Moog wrote:

    > No. That wouldn't make any difference at all. Shipit provides the same
    > CD as you download.

    Their CD label is a heck of a lot better looking than my Sharpie can do!
    ;-)

    --
    John

  6. Re: Update: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

    On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 10:36:24 -0500, John F. Morse wrote:

    > Moog wrote:
    >
    >> No. That wouldn't make any difference at all. Shipit provides the same
    >> CD as you download.

    > Their CD label is a heck of a lot better looking than my Sharpie can do!
    > ;-)

    Heh! :-)

  7. Re: Update: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

    On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 07:07:58 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > propman illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >

    >> Good point and one which I tried before but, IIRC, one I forgot to
    >> mention in my original posting on this topic; unfortunately,
    >> blacklisting IPv6 didn't rectify the problem.
    >>
    >> Maybe I should send away for a LiveCD direct from Ubuntu....if it
    >> works, then there's something wrong with their ISO setup. Really can't
    >> see them utilizing a different setup for their LiveCD distribution
    >> disks that they mail out than what's present in the ISO but......

    > No. That wouldn't make any difference at all. Shipit provides the same
    > CD as you download.
    >
    > What could be worth trying is getting hold of Gutsy and seeing how that
    > works. If you see an improvement, then upgrade to Hardy using a
    > distribution upgrade

    Well as I mentioned in my previous message, IIRC, I have Gutsy that was
    included as a freebie from one of the Linux magazines I bought...Gutsy
    has no problems with the Intel wireless when running the Live Gutsy CD.

    >> Hmmm.....maybe won't have to do that if some of the other rascals here
    >> who have the same unit working in their regular setup would try the
    >> v8.04 ISO (32 bit) to see what happens.

    > I'm posting using the same wireless card.

    But did you install using the 8.04 LiveCD....that's the whole point. As
    I mentioned, Gutsy will operate the rascal right out of the box; Hardy
    will install the correct drive, config, obtain valid IP etc but will not
    "connect" on pings or web access. :-)

  8. Re: Update: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

    propman illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 07:07:58 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >
    >> propman illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>

    >>> Good point and one which I tried before but, IIRC, one I forgot to
    >>> mention in my original posting on this topic; unfortunately,
    >>> blacklisting IPv6 didn't rectify the problem.
    >>>
    >>> Maybe I should send away for a LiveCD direct from Ubuntu....if it
    >>> works, then there's something wrong with their ISO setup. Really can't
    >>> see them utilizing a different setup for their LiveCD distribution
    >>> disks that they mail out than what's present in the ISO but......

    >> No. That wouldn't make any difference at all. Shipit provides the same
    >> CD as you download.
    >>
    >> What could be worth trying is getting hold of Gutsy and seeing how that
    >> works. If you see an improvement, then upgrade to Hardy using a
    >> distribution upgrade

    > Well as I mentioned in my previous message, IIRC, I have Gutsy that was
    > included as a freebie from one of the Linux magazines I bought...Gutsy
    > has no problems with the Intel wireless when running the Live Gutsy CD.

    Install it instead of Hardy. Then before you do anything else run
    $ sudo update-manager -c -d

    >>> Hmmm.....maybe won't have to do that if some of the other rascals here
    >>> who have the same unit working in their regular setup would try the
    >>> v8.04 ISO (32 bit) to see what happens.

    >> I'm posting using the same wireless card.

    > But did you install using the 8.04 LiveCD....that's the whole point. As
    > I mentioned, Gutsy will operate the rascal right out of the box; Hardy
    > will install the correct drive, config, obtain valid IP etc but will not
    > "connect" on pings or web access. :-)

    I installed it to hard drive using the LiveCD, two days ago. The
    machine is an Acer 8920G. It works a treat.

    No problems whatsoever with any of the hardware (other than the
    soundcard that required OSS4 rather than Alsa)

    FOOTNOTE: I think I read that you installed using wubi. Is that
    correct?
    It's still pretty new. You really should install on a dedicated
    partition. Who knows (certainly not me) that *could* well be your
    issue.

    --
    Moog

    “Are you going to come quietly, or do I have to use earplugs?”

  9. Re: Update: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

    On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 22:27:17 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > propman illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 07:07:58 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >>

    >>> What could be worth trying is getting hold of Gutsy and seeing how
    >>> that works. If you see an improvement, then upgrade to Hardy using a
    >>> distribution upgrade

    >> Well as I mentioned in my previous message, IIRC, I have Gutsy that was
    >> included as a freebie from one of the Linux magazines I bought...Gutsy
    >> has no problems with the Intel wireless when running the Live Gutsy CD.

    > Install it instead of Hardy. Then before you do anything else run $ sudo
    > update-manager -c -d

    Maybe if I pick up another laptop sometime....right now I am busy taming
    Hardy to bow to my ultimate wishes (kinda anyways). ;-) Quite honestly
    though, the onboard wireless problem isn't that big of a deal as I also
    have a couple of USB D-Links (including one N protocol) that I am using
    to obtain better reception.

    >>> I'm posting using the same wireless card.

    >> But did you install using the 8.04 LiveCD....that's the whole point.
    >> As I mentioned, Gutsy will operate the rascal right out of the box;
    >> Hardy will install the correct drive, config, obtain valid IP etc but
    >> will not "connect" on pings or web access. :-)

    > I installed it to hard drive using the LiveCD, two days ago. The machine
    > is an Acer 8920G. It works a treat.

    Now that is interesting!! Will have to look up the specs on that model
    and compare it to my Acer Aspire 7720. Just out of curiosity, how old is
    that particular model?

    > No problems whatsoever with any of the hardware (other than the
    > soundcard that required OSS4 rather than Alsa)
    >
    > FOOTNOTE: I think I read that you installed using wubi. Is that correct?
    > It's still pretty new. You really should install on a dedicated
    > partition. Who knows (certainly not me) that *could* well be your issue.

    Good thought and one that had crossed my mind before....at the time I
    grabbed the LiveCD (without installing it) to test out the theory but the
    wireless still displayed the same problem.

    Another thought that crossed my mind on this subject is related to
    firmware on board the wireless.....just wondering if there are different
    revisions available but haven't checked out that aspect yet; one of the D-
    Link models I have here have three different revisions and AFAIK, the
    correct driver for each must be installed for proper operation.

    Cheers, Moog....ttyl. :-)

  10. Re: Update: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

    On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 22:27:17 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > propman illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 07:07:58 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >>

    >> But did you install using the 8.04 LiveCD....that's the whole point.
    >> As I mentioned, Gutsy will operate the rascal right out of the box;
    >> Hardy will install the correct drive, config, obtain valid IP etc but
    >> will not "connect" on pings or web access. :-)

    > I installed it to hard drive using the LiveCD, two days ago. The machine
    > is an Acer 8920G. It works a treat.

    Decided to do a Google......seems that the driver was changed from Gutsy
    to Hardy and others have also experienced problems with it. A couple of
    urls, if you're interested:

    http://www.ubuntugeek.com/using-ipw3...ad-iwl3945-in-
    hardy.html#more-510

    http://linuxtechie.wordpress.com/200...eless-3945abg-
    work-better-on-ubuntu-hardy/

    :-)

  11. Re: Update: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

    propman a écrit :

    > Booted up the Ubuntu v8.04 LiveCD which I made from the Ubuntu 8.04 ISO;
    > disk passes validity checks and has been used for my current permanent
    > installation without any problems. The "Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
    > Network Connection" still exhibits the same problem as described above.

    I tried Ubuntu hardy live CD from ISO download, and no problem with the
    3945 on my Dell laptop (D820).

    Kernel : 2.6.24-16-generic

    iwconfig :
    wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"HOME" Nickname:""
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.442 GHz Access Point:
    04:11:9A:B0:95:7C
    Bit Rate=54 Mb/s Tx-Power=27 dBm
    Retry min limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thr=2346 B
    Encryption key:{Info removed}
    Power Managementff
    Link Quality=89/100 Signal level=-43 dBm Noise level=-82 dBm

    ldsmod :
    iwl3945 89844 0
    iwlwifi_mac80211 219108 1 iwl3945

    ifconfig :
    wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:18:de:a4:ca:78
    inet adr:192.168.20.240 Bcast:192.168.20.255
    Masque:255.255.255.0
    adr inet6: fe80::218:deff:fea4:ca78/64 Scope:Lien
    Packets reçus:113 erreurs:0 :0 overruns:0 frame:0
    collisions:0 lg file transmission:1000
    Octets reçus:19632 (19.1 KB) Octets transmis:9720 (9.4 KB)

    wmaster0 Link encap:UNSPEC HWaddr
    00-18-DE-A4-CA-78-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
    Packets reçus:0 erreurs:0 :0 overruns:0 frame:0
    collisions:0 lg file transmission:1000
    Octets reçus:0 (0.0 B) Octets transmis:0 (0.0 B)

    dmesg :
    [ 236.026720] wlan0: Initial auth_alg=0
    [ 236.026725] wlan0: authenticate with AP 04:11:9a:b0:95:7c
    [ 236.026738] wlan0: RX authentication from 04:11:9a:b0:95:7c (alg=0
    transaction=2 status=0)
    [ 236.026742] wlan0: authenticated
    [ 236.026747] wlan0: associate with AP 04:11:9a:b0:95:7c
    [ 236.030254] wlan0: authentication frame received from
    04:11:9a:b0:95:7c, but not in authenticate state - ignored
    [ 236.031109] wlan0: RX deauthentication from 04:11:9a:b0:95:7c (reason=6)
    [ 236.031113] wlan0: deauthenticated
    [ 236.078998] wlan0: authenticate with AP 04:11:9a:b0:95:7c
    [ 236.079724] wlan0: RX authentication from 04:11:9a:b0:95:7c (alg=0
    transaction=2 status=0)
    [ 236.079731] wlan0: authenticated
    [ 236.079734] wlan0: associate with AP 04:11:9a:b0:95:7c
    [ 236.081031] wlan0: RX ReassocResp from 04:11:9a:b0:95:7c (capab=0x431
    status=0 aid=1)
    [ 236.081036] wlan0: associated
    [ 242.067977] wlan0: no IPv6 routers present

+ Reply to Thread