Verizon blocking newsgroups - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Verizon blocking newsgroups - Ubuntu ; In a few days Verizon will be blocking access to all .alt newsgroups and lots of others. Does anyone know of other newsgroup alteratives? I already know about motzarella.org. must be other ones. Censorship sucks. ST...

  1. Verizon blocking newsgroups

    In a few days Verizon will be blocking access to all .alt newsgroups and
    lots of others.
    Does anyone know of other newsgroup alteratives? I already know about
    motzarella.org. must be other ones.

    Censorship sucks.

    ST

  2. Re: Verizon blocking newsgroups

    ST wrote:

    > Does anyone know of other newsgroup alteratives? I already know about
    > motzarella.org. must be other ones.

    Sebastien Willemijns has a faq about free/open nntp newsservers which has
    a list which characterizes various free/open newsservers in Annex 2
    http://80.247.230.136/nntpeng.htm

    A site which lists sites which list free newsservers is
    http://ecalame.tripod.com/free.html and it mentions the newsgroup
    alt.free.newsservers which has a name which sounds better than the group
    is actually useful.

    Besides free, there are extremely cheap ways to access text newsgroups.
    If you spend $2 US on a non-expiring 2G block, it will last 'forever' if
    all you do is text.

    If you want really high-class well-admin/ed text-only newsgroups with
    wonderful filtering, Individual costs 10 euros/y.

    --
    Mike Easter

  3. Re: Verizon blocking newsgroups

    ST wrote:
    > In a few days Verizon will be blocking access to all .alt newsgroups and
    > lots of others.
    > Does anyone know of other newsgroup alteratives? I already know about
    > motzarella.org. must be other ones.
    >
    > Censorship sucks.
    >
    > ST

    aioe.org Free. No binaries.

    Alias

  4. Re: Verizon blocking newsgroups

    On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 14:39:40 +0000, ST wrote:

    > In a few days Verizon will be blocking access to all .alt newsgroups and
    > lots of others.
    > Does anyone know of other newsgroup alteratives? I already know about
    > motzarella.org. must be other ones.

    There are. Ever heard of Google? Ever bothered to read any current
    threads before asking something? About every other ****ing thread, in
    every friggin newsgroup on Usenet, is about this very subject. Have a
    look around, and learn something.

    > Censorship sucks.

    So do Win-droid idiot posters.

    --
    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he called in an air strike.

  5. Re: Verizon blocking newsgroups

    Dan C wrote:
    > On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 14:39:40 +0000, ST wrote:
    >
    >> In a few days Verizon will be blocking access to all .alt newsgroups and
    >> lots of others.
    >> Does anyone know of other newsgroup alteratives? I already know about
    >> motzarella.org. must be other ones.

    > There are. Ever heard of Google? Ever bothered to read any current
    > threads before asking something? About every other ****ing thread, in
    > every friggin newsgroup on Usenet, is about this very subject. Have a
    > look around, and learn something.
    >
    >> Censorship sucks.

    > So do Win-droid idiot posters.

    That time of the month?

    Alias

  6. Re: Verizon blocking newsgroups

    "Mike Easter" wrote in message
    news:a9SdnScDnfOe78fVnZ2dnUVZ_t_inZ2d@earthlink.co m...
    > ST wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone know of other newsgroup alteratives? I already know about
    >> motzarella.org. must be other ones.

    > Sebastien Willemijns has a faq about free/open nntp newsservers which has
    > a list which characterizes various free/open newsservers in Annex 2
    > http://80.247.230.136/nntpeng.htm
    >
    > A site which lists sites which list free newsservers is
    > http://ecalame.tripod.com/free.html and it mentions the newsgroup
    > alt.free.newsservers which has a name which sounds better than the group
    > is actually useful.
    >
    > Besides free, there are extremely cheap ways to access text newsgroups.
    > If you spend $2 US on a non-expiring 2G block, it will last 'forever' if
    > all you do is text.
    >
    > If you want really high-class well-admin/ed text-only newsgroups with
    > wonderful filtering, Individual costs 10 euros/y.
    >

    > --
    > Mike Easter

    Thanks guys much appreciated......what's up with Dan C.... abused child or
    something?? ( I dual boot ubuntu xp ..just happen to be on xp now.)

  7. Re: Verizon blocking newsgroups

    On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 18:07:05 +0200, Alias wrote:

    >>> Censorship sucks.

    >> So do Win-droid idiot posters.

    > That time of the month?

    The Win-droid Wars observe no holidays.

    --
    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he clubbed another baby seal Win-droid.

  8. Re: Verizon blocking newsgroups

    Dan C wrote:

    >>> So do Win-droid idiot posters.

    >> That time of the month?

    > The Win-droid Wars observe no holidays.

    Not what I meant.

    Alias

  9. Re: Verizon blocking newsgroups

    On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 11:33:25 -0500, Dan C wrote:

    >>> So do Win-droid idiot posters.

    >> That time of the month?

    > The Win-droid Whores observe no holidays.

    IFYPFY :-)

    --
    I wish my lawn was EMO so it would cut itself.

  10. Re: Verizon blocking newsgroups

    On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 19:42:41 +0200, Alias wrote:

    > Dan C wrote:

    >>> That time of the month?

    >> The Win-droid Wars observe no holidays.
    >>

    > Not what I meant.
    >
    > Alias

    OK, OK....no need to rag on. ;-)

  11. Re: Verizon blocking newsgroups

    ST wrote:

    > Thanks guys much appreciated......what's up with Dan C.... abused child or
    > something?? ( I dual boot ubuntu xp ..just happen to be on xp now.)

    His first case of abuse was the day his mother farted and crapped him
    out -- on his n00gin.

    From that day forward, he's been a windy-droid.

    But -- he was right on with his advice. Google is your best place to
    search for anything.

    Just read Dan C between his stuck-record wisenheimer remarks, and you
    can learn a few things.

    --
    John

  12. Re: Verizon blocking newsgroups

    On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 15:35:09 -0500, John F. Morse wrote:

    > ST wrote:
    >

    >> Thanks guys much appreciated......what's up with Dan C.... abused child
    >> or something?? ( I dual boot ubuntu xp ..just happen to be on xp
    >> now.)

    > His first case of abuse was the day his mother farted and crapped him
    > out -- on his n00gin.
    >
    > From that day forward, he's been a windy-droid.
    >
    > But -- he was right on with his advice. Google is your best place to
    > search for anything.
    >
    > Just read Dan C between his stuck-record wisenheimer remarks, and you
    > can learn a few things.

    Guess the same could be said about Bill Gates.....IMHO, comes a time when
    a person has to decide whether they want to learn anything from certain
    rascals regardless of the wisdom they could impart to ones particular
    field, knowledge base etc. At my age, I like learning, exploring plus
    peace and quiet........and a very strong distaste for overbearing
    obnoxious idiots looking for whatever attention they can get.

    ............that's why Dan C is in my nukefile and his entry is toggled
    "forever".

    Just ma two little ole cents worth.... :-)

  13. Re: Verizon blocking newsgroups

    ST wrote:

    > In a few days Verizon will be blocking access to all .alt
    > newsgroups and lots of others. Does anyone know of other
    > newsgroup alteratives? I already know about motzarella.org.
    > must be other ones.

    Some free news servers. I use teranews and gmane.
    (1 time charge) (free)
    (free)
    (free)
    (free)
    (free)
    (mail-lists via news) (free)
    (pay)
    <http://www.individual.net/ (low pay)

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  14. Re: Verizon blocking newsgroups

    ST wrote:

    .... snip ...

    > Thanks guys much appreciated......what's up with Dan C.... abused
    > child or something?? ( I dual boot ubuntu xp ..just happen to be
    > on xp now.)

    Or something. Just plonk him. You will miss nothing.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.