Just a few days left - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Just a few days left - Ubuntu ; Because my provider, Time Warner is eliminating newsgroups, my days lurking and reading this group are coming to an end. I doubt that I'll pay extra for newsgroups from another provider so I must say goodbye to all. I have ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37

  1. Just a few days left

    Because my provider, Time Warner is eliminating newsgroups, my days
    lurking and reading this group are coming to an end. I doubt that I'll
    pay extra for newsgroups from another provider so I must say goodbye to
    all. I have enjoyed the group over the years. The best to all.

  2. Re: Just a few days left

    In alt.os.linux.ubuntu on Thu, 19 Jun 2008 07:49:57 -0400,
    derspankster wrote:

    > Because my provider, Time Warner is eliminating newsgroups, my days
    > lurking and reading this group are coming to an end. I doubt that I'll
    > pay extra for newsgroups from another provider so I must say goodbye to
    > all. I have enjoyed the group over the years. The best to all.

    If you're still here, read this:

    --
    PJR :-)

  3. Re: Just a few days left

    Peter J Ross wrote:
    > In alt.os.linux.ubuntu on Thu, 19 Jun 2008 07:49:57 -0400,
    > derspankster wrote:
    >
    >> Because my provider, Time Warner is eliminating newsgroups, my days
    >> lurking and reading this group are coming to an end. I doubt that I'll
    >> pay extra for newsgroups from another provider so I must say goodbye to
    >> all. I have enjoyed the group over the years. The best to all.

    > If you're still here, read this:

    Thanks for the link. I'll look into it.

  4. Re: Just a few days left

    derspankster wrote:
    > Because my provider, Time Warner is eliminating newsgroups, my days
    > lurking and reading this group are coming to an end. I doubt that I'll
    > pay extra for newsgroups from another provider so I must say goodbye to
    > all. I have enjoyed the group over the years. The best to all.

    My ISP doesn't host this group because most ISPs in Hong Kong don't care
    about the latest Usenet newsgroup list.

    I am reading and posting to this group via news://news.sunsite.dk!

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.25.7

  5. Re: Just a few days left

    >> If you're still here, read this:
    >>

    > Thanks for the link. I'll look into it.

    Also check out "Google groups".

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.25.7
    ^ ^ 20:36:01 up 2 days 2:06 3 users load average: 1.04 1.36 1.27
    (CSSA):

  6. Re: Just a few days left

    > My ISP doesn't host this group because most ISPs in Hong Kong don't care
    > about the latest Usenet newsgroup list.

    um ..... I forgot about the issue of politics and national
    security... maybe related...

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.25.7
    ^ ^ 20:42:01 up 2 days 2:12 3 users load average: 1.03 1.14 1.19
    (CSSA):

  7. Re: Just a few days left

    Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote:

    [other attributions were stripped.]
    >>> If you're still here, read this:
    >>>

    >> Thanks for the link. I'll look into it.

    > Also check out "Google groups".

    That's a joke, right?

    --
    -bts

  8. Re: Just a few days left

    On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 07:49:57 -0400, derspankster wrote:

    > Because my provider, Time Warner is eliminating newsgroups, my days
    > lurking and reading this group are coming to an end. I doubt that I'll
    > pay extra for newsgroups from another provider so I must say goodbye to
    > all. I have enjoyed the group over the years. The best to all.

    Am I missing something?

    Why not use thunderbird to mozerella.com

    Wendell

  9. Re: Just a few days left

    Wendell wrote:
    > On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 07:49:57 -0400, derspankster wrote:
    >
    >> Because my provider, Time Warner is eliminating newsgroups, my days
    >> lurking and reading this group are coming to an end. I doubt that I'll
    >> pay extra for newsgroups from another provider so I must say goodbye to
    >> all. I have enjoyed the group over the years. The best to all.

    > Am I missing something?
    >
    > Why not use thunderbird to mozerella.com
    >
    > Wendell

    I guess I must be missing something. What is mozerella.com?

    mozerella.com
    Delicious Authentic Italian food. Everything you love to eat.
    www.pastacheese.com · Italian Mozzarella The Finest Imported Italian
    Cheeses Shipped Directly ...
    mozerella.com/ - 31k - Cached - Similar pages

  10. Re: Just a few days left

    It's motzarella.ORG http://motzarella.org/

    > mozerella.com
    > Delicious Authentic Italian food. Everything you love to eat.

    The cheese is mozzarella ...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozzarella

    --
    -bts

  11. Re: Just a few days left

    Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> If you're still here, read this:
    >>>

    >> Thanks for the link. I'll look into it.

    > Also check out "Google groups".

    Aaaaghhhhhh. No *don't*. For the love of the little baby jesus.

    --
    Moog

    “Are you going to come quietly, or do I have to use earplugs?”

  12. Re: Just a few days left

    On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 07:49:57 -0400, derspankster wrote:

    > Because my provider, Time Warner is eliminating newsgroups, my days
    > lurking and reading this group are coming to an end. I doubt that I'll
    > pay extra for newsgroups from another provider so I must say goodbye to
    > all. I have enjoyed the group over the years. The best to all.

    FWIW - my ISP does not provide news server - never has as far as I can
    tell. I have used news.individual.net for several years with complete
    satisfaction. Their performance exceeds that of any ISP i've tried. Cost
    is on the order of one euro per month - shouldn't bread the bank.

  13. Re: Just a few days left

    Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote:
    >>> If you're still here, read this:
    >>>

    >> Thanks for the link. I'll look into it.

    > Also check out "Google groups".

    That is extremely bad advice on the following bases:

    - GG doesn't carry a lot of newsgroups, including this one a.o.l.u
    - GG is a terrible interface to read&post active usenet
    - GGers are filtered out, so a GGers posts aren't seen by many
    - GGers expose their IP and their valid login address in the From
    - GG doesn't do any filtering

    GG archive should be used as a resource for searching old usenet posts to
    help determine how and where to post a question to an active usenet group,
    not for actually reading and posting current.

    Googlespecific groups have some small use, which can be accessed or
    followed with the GG web interface or by email.

    --
    Mike Easter

  14. Re: Just a few days left

    On Thu, 19 Jun 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.ubuntu, in article
    <485a6785$0$5714$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>, derspankster wrote:

    >Wendell wrote:

    >>derspankster wrote:
    >>
    >>> Because my provider, Time Warner is eliminating newsgroups, my days
    >>> lurking and reading this group are coming to an end. I doubt that I'll
    >>> pay extra for newsgroups from another provider so I must say goodbye to
    >>> all. I have enjoyed the group over the years. The best to all.

    You could always tell Time Warner to shove it where the sun don't shine,
    and replace the incompetent idiots with a provider that actually has
    access to a functioning brain cell, but that's a personal decision.

    You really are not the only person effected by the stupidity of Verizon,
    Time Warner and Sprint. Nearly every one of the 'alt.*' news groups I
    try to scan daily (27 of the 80 groups I'm subscribed to) are screaming
    moaning, and crying about the "problem". You have to recall that this
    Internet thingy was invented by the military to be a robust means of
    communication, working around outages. You appear to be in the US, so
    pick up the telephone book and look at the Yellow Pages under "Internet"
    (probably Internet Service Providers, or Internet Access Providers) and
    discover dozens of alternatives to RR/TWC/et.al.

    >> Am I missing something?

    Apparently.

    >> Why not use thunderbird to mozerella.com

    Use any competent news reader (there really are a few out there) and
    use any of the available _free_ news servers. You could start at

    http://blinkynet.net/comp/newfeed.html
    http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Usenet..._News_Servers/
    http://www.geocities.com/freefreenews/ and the newsgroup
    alt.free.newsservers.

    >I guess I must be missing something. What is mozerella.com?

    A typ0 for www.motzarella.org/

    Old guy

  15. Re: Just a few days left

    Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote:
    > derspankster wrote:
    >
    >> Because my provider, Time Warner is eliminating newsgroups, my days
    >> lurking and reading this group are coming to an end. I doubt that I'll
    >> pay extra for newsgroups from another provider so I must say goodbye to
    >> all. I have enjoyed the group over the years. The best to all.
    >>

    > My ISP doesn't host this group because most ISPs in Hong Kong don't care
    > about the latest Usenet newsgroup list.

    Possibly because they have their hands full chasing down spammers, and
    mail server crackers, eh?

    --
    John

  16. Re: Just a few days left

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > derspankster wrote:
    >

    >> Wendell wrote:

    >>> Am I missing something?
    >>>
    >>> Why not use thunderbird to mozerella.com <--- TYPO alert!
    >>>

    >> I guess I must be missing something. What is mozerella.com?
    >>

    > It's motzarella.ORG http://motzarella.org/
    >

    >> mozerella.com
    >> Delicious Authentic Italian food. Everything you love to eat.
    >>

    > The cheese is mozzarella ...
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozzarella

    And Thunderbird is a, er, well it can be consumed with
    mozzarella-covered pizza!

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderbird_%28wine%29

    --
    John

  17. Re: Just a few days left

    On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 15:40:24 -0500, John F. Morse wrote:

    > Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote:
    >> derspankster wrote:
    >>
    >>> Because my provider, Time Warner is eliminating newsgroups, my days
    >>> lurking and reading this group are coming to an end. I doubt that I'll
    >>> pay extra for newsgroups from another provider so I must say goodbye
    >>> to all. I have enjoyed the group over the years. The best to all.
    >>>

    >> My ISP doesn't host this group because most ISPs in Hong Kong don't
    >> care about the latest Usenet newsgroup list.

    > Possibly because they have their hands full chasing down spammers, and
    > mail server crackers, eh?

    Ouch!! LOL!

  18. Re: Just a few days left

    ibuprofin@painkiller.example.tld (Moe Trin) wrote in

    > On Thu, 19 Jun 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.ubuntu, in
    > article <485a6785$0$5714$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>, derspankster wrote:
    >
    >>Wendell wrote:

    > You could always tell Time Warner to shove it where the sun don't
    > shine, and replace the incompetent idiots with a provider that
    > actually has access to a functioning brain cell, but that's a personal
    > decision.

    It's kind of hard to dump TW when it's the only broadband that serves my
    address.

  19. Re: Just a few days left

    derspankster wrote:

    > Because my provider, Time Warner is eliminating newsgroups, my
    > days lurking and reading this group are coming to an end. I doubt
    > that I'll pay extra for newsgroups from another provider so I
    > must say goodbye to all. I have enjoyed the group over the years.
    > The best to all.

    Try something listed in my sig. below.

    --
    Some free news servers. I use teranews and gmane.
    (1 time charge) (free)

  20. Re: Just a few days left

    DanS wrote:
    > ibuprofin@painkiller.example.tld (Moe Trin) wrote:

    .... snip ...

    >> You could always tell Time Warner to shove it where the sun don't
    >> shine, and replace the incompetent idiots with a provider that
    >> actually has access to a functioning brain cell, but that's a
    >> personal decision.

    > It's kind of hard to dump TW when it's the only broadband that
    > serves my address.

    You don't need to dump TW. Just use it to connect to one of the
    generally available newsservers.