Apache2 Server on Hardy - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Apache2 Server on Hardy - Ubuntu ; I just setup Ubuntu Server 8.04, and apparently it very nearly works. I installed Webmin along with the server. I can SSH into the server and HTTPS (into webmin) as well. SSH lets me successfully drag and drop into my ...

  1. Apache2 Server on Hardy

    I just setup Ubuntu Server 8.04, and apparently it very nearly works. I
    installed Webmin along with the server.

    I can SSH into the server and HTTPS (into webmin) as well. SSH lets me
    successfully drag and drop into my Home directory.

    I can HTTP into the server. Apache2 returns a default page: /var/www/
    index.html.

    So far so good.

    Here's the problem: I cannot write to /var/www in order to setup the
    website. Server returns an error:

    Could not save the file sftp://192.168.18.18/var/www/index.html. You do
    not have the permissions necessary to save the file.

    I have been unable to find where those permissions are set.

    Does anyone know where Webmin or Apache2 hides that?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Apache2 Server on Hardy

    Coffeeman wrote:
    > I just setup Ubuntu Server 8.04, and apparently it very nearly works. I
    > installed Webmin along with the server.
    >
    > I can SSH into the server and HTTPS (into webmin) as well. SSH lets me
    > successfully drag and drop into my Home directory.
    >
    > I can HTTP into the server. Apache2 returns a default page: /var/www/
    > index.html.
    >
    > So far so good.
    >
    > Here's the problem: I cannot write to /var/www in order to setup the
    > website. Server returns an error:
    >
    > Could not save the file sftp://192.168.18.18/var/www/index.html. You do
    > not have the permissions necessary to save the file.
    >
    > I have been unable to find where those permissions are set.
    >
    > Does anyone know where Webmin or Apache2 hides that?
    >
    > Thanks!

    You need root access to /var/www.

  3. Re: Apache2 Server on Hardy

    Coffeeman wrote:
    > I just setup Ubuntu Server 8.04, and apparently it very nearly works. I
    > installed Webmin along with the server.
    >
    > I can SSH into the server and HTTPS (into webmin) as well. SSH lets me
    > successfully drag and drop into my Home directory.
    >
    > I can HTTP into the server. Apache2 returns a default page: /var/www/
    > index.html.
    >
    > So far so good.
    >
    > Here's the problem: I cannot write to /var/www in order to setup the
    > website. Server returns an error:
    >
    > Could not save the file sftp://192.168.18.18/var/www/index.html. You do
    > not have the permissions necessary to save the file.
    >
    > I have been unable to find where those permissions are set.
    >
    > Does anyone know where Webmin or Apache2 hides that?
    >
    > Thanks!

    The apache user is usually 'www-data'.

    --
    Norman
    Registered Linux user #461062

  4. Re: Apache2 Server on Hardy

    Cork Soaker illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Coffeeman wrote:
    >> I just setup Ubuntu Server 8.04, and apparently it very nearly works. I
    >> installed Webmin along with the server.
    >>
    >> I can SSH into the server and HTTPS (into webmin) as well. SSH lets me
    >> successfully drag and drop into my Home directory.
    >>
    >> I can HTTP into the server. Apache2 returns a default page: /var/www/
    >> index.html.
    >>
    >> So far so good.
    >>
    >> Here's the problem: I cannot write to /var/www in order to setup the
    >> website. Server returns an error:
    >>
    >> Could not save the file sftp://192.168.18.18/var/www/index.html. You do
    >> not have the permissions necessary to save the file.
    >>
    >> I have been unable to find where those permissions are set.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know where Webmin or Apache2 hides that?
    >>
    >> Thanks!

    > You need root access to /var/www.

    Or better still, sudo access.

    --
    Moog

    “Are you going to come quietly, or do I have to use earplugs?”

  5. Re: Apache2 Server on Hardy

    Moog wrote:

    >> You need root access to /var/www.

    > Or better still, sudo access.

    That's a real pain in the arse when trying to edit multiple files. I
    always ssh root@server or sshfs root@homeserver:/var/www to make life easy.
    I'm not likely to screw up system settings in /var/www.

  6. Re: Apache2 Server on Hardy

    On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 12:56:41 +0100, Cork Soaker wrote:

    > Moog wrote:
    >
    >>> You need root access to /var/www.

    >> Or better still, sudo access.
    >>

    > That's a real pain in the arse when trying to edit multiple files. I
    > always ssh root@server or sshfs root@homeserver:/var/www to make life
    > easy. I'm not likely to screw up system settings in /var/www.

    Right! How do you sudo from remote terminal?

    I can walk over and physically touch the server and sudo in as my admin
    name. Ubuntu doesn't have root login without enabling a root.

    So how is this really done when you want to do everything remotely? There
    is something really basic here which I've missed.

    Cheers,

  7. Re: Apache2 Server on Hardy

    Coffeeman wrote:

    >>> Or better still, sudo access.
    >>>

    >> That's a real pain in the arse when trying to edit multiple files. I
    >> always ssh root@server or sshfs root@homeserver:/var/www to make life
    >> easy. I'm not likely to screw up system settings in /var/www.

    > Right! How do you sudo from remote terminal?
    >
    > I can walk over and physically touch the server and sudo in as my admin
    > name. Ubuntu doesn't have root login without enabling a root.
    >
    > So how is this really done when you want to do everything remotely? There
    > is something really basic here which I've missed.
    >
    > Cheers,

    Use SSH to log in, and then sudo from there. Or, enable the root
    account and do the same, then su. I recommend the former if you can't
    be certain you won't break something.

    Or, use sshfs, but you'll have to su or gksudo to edit the files from
    the local machine (unless my machine is being retard, which happens).

    I recommend Google, it's all there.

  8. Re: Apache2 Server on Hardy

    On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 15:18:49 +0100, Cork Soaker wrote:

    > Coffeeman wrote:

    >>> That's a real pain in the arse when trying to edit multiple files. I
    >>> always ssh root@server or sshfs root@homeserver:/var/www to make life
    >>> easy. I'm not likely to screw up system settings in /var/www.

    >> Right! How do you sudo from remote terminal?
    >>
    >> I can walk over and physically touch the server and sudo in as my admin
    >> name. Ubuntu doesn't have root login without enabling a root.
    >>
    >> So how is this really done when you want to do everything remotely?
    >> There is something really basic here which I've missed.
    >>
    >> Cheers,

    > Use SSH to log in, and then sudo from there. Or, enable the root
    > account and do the same, then su. I recommend the former if you can't
    > be certain you won't break something.
    >
    > Or, use sshfs, but you'll have to su or gksudo to edit the files from
    > the local machine (unless my machine is being retard, which happens).
    >
    > I recommend Google, it's all there.

    OK! Thanks for sticking with me here.

    This is what I can do:

    I can open Terminal and login as my admin name, then cd down to /var/
    www, and use sudo VIM to edit the index.html or whatever.

    This works well. But what if I have this nice GUI on my local machine
    and I'm using an editor such as Bluefish to make my website and I want to
    put it up from local machine to remote server?

    What method is generally used to remotely upload existing website to the /
    var/www directory? Or is this normally done?

    And then I discover things get even more fun.

    I used mkdir to create a public_html directory in my home folder--home/
    myuser/public_html--and put my index.html there, thinking I could
    http://192.168.18.18/~myuser

    I got a 404 error which I didn't expect.

    So, I'm just fumbling around here. I think need some literature. Do you
    have any recommendations?

    And thanks for noticing I might break something. But that's the whole
    point. I set this old Gateway 900 Celeron box up as a server so I could
    break it plenty before I need to know how to do something on a real world
    server without tearing stuff up or wasting time 'on the clock'.

    Cheers

  9. Re: Apache2 Server on Hardy

    Cork Soaker wrote:
    > Moog wrote:
    >
    >>> You need root access to /var/www.

    >> Or better still, sudo access.
    >>

    > That's a real pain in the arse when trying to edit multiple files. I
    > always ssh root@server or sshfs root@homeserver:/var/www to make life
    > easy.
    > I'm not likely to screw up system settings in /var/www.

    You certainly have a thick head.

    --
    John

  10. Re: Apache2 Server on Hardy

    Coffeeman wrote:

    >>> Or better still, sudo access.
    >>>

    >> That's a real pain in the arse when trying to edit multiple files. I
    >> always ssh root@server or sshfs root@homeserver:/var/www to make life
    >> easy. I'm not likely to screw up system settings in /var/www.
    >>

    > Right! How do you sudo from remote terminal?

    See man ssh for details.

    --
    John

  11. Re: Apache2 Server on Hardy

    Coffeeman wrote:

    > OK! Thanks for sticking with me here.
    >
    > This is what I can do:
    >
    > I can open Terminal and login as my admin name, then cd down to /var/
    > www, and use sudo VIM to edit the index.html or whatever.
    >
    > This works well. But what if I have this nice GUI on my local machine
    > and I'm using an editor such as Bluefish to make my website and I want to
    > put it up from local machine to remote server?
    >

    > What method is generally used to remotely upload existing website to the /
    > var/www directory? Or is this normally done?

    You could use rcp or scp.

    If you want to use that nice fancy GUI, why not look under Ubuntu's
    "Places" menu, and use the "Connect to server..." item.

    Use the "SSH" connection type if is is a Linux box, or "Windows Share"
    if you have Samba installed. This will mount the connection share on the
    desktop.

    Then all you need to do is open that desktop icon, and it will show the
    remote PC in a Nautilus file browser window. Now you can drag and drop
    files.

    > And then I discover things get even more fun.
    >
    > I used mkdir to create a public_html directory in my home folder--home/
    > myuser/public_html--and put my index.html there, thinking I could
    > http://192.168.18.18/~myuser
    >
    > I got a 404 error which I didn't expect.
    >
    > So, I'm just fumbling around here. I think need some literature. Do you
    > have any recommendations?

    Don't allow the "public" to have access to your /home directory!

    Read the caveats at http://httpd.apache.org

    http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mis...tml#serverroot

    Also learn about chroot jails:

    http://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/m...html#chrootdir

    The term "chroot"means to change the apparent root filesystem level, not
    anything to do with the superuser, "Root."

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroot

    > And thanks for noticing I might break something. But that's the whole
    > point. I set this old Gateway 900 Celeron box up as a server so I could
    > break it plenty before I need to know how to do something on a real world
    > server without tearing stuff up or wasting time 'on the clock'.
    >
    > Cheers

    I agree; it's nice to have old junkers around for testing and education.
    Your's is certainly better than most of my 233 MHz PCs though!

    Your 900 MHz would rank in at #6 in my farm of 54. Of course, since it
    runs on celery, it might be #7, just below a 600 MHz P-III Coppermine. ;-)

    --
    John

  12. Re: Apache2 Server on Hardy

    John F. Morse wrote:
    > Cork Soaker wrote:

    >>> Or better still, sudo access.
    >>>

    >> That's a real pain in the arse when trying to edit multiple files. I
    >> always ssh root@server or sshfs root@homeserver:/var/www to make life
    >> easy.
    >> I'm not likely to screw up system settings in /var/www.

    > You certainly have a thick head.

    What?

  13. Re: Apache2 Server on Hardy

    Cork Soaker wrote:
    > John F. Morse wrote:
    >> Cork Soaker wrote:

    >>> That's a real pain in the arse when trying to edit multiple files.
    >>> I always ssh root@server or sshfs root@homeserver:/var/www to make
    >>> life easy.
    >>> I'm not likely to screw up system settings in /var/www.

    >> You certainly have a thick head.
    >>

    > What?

    YOU CERTAINLY HAVE A THICK HEAD.

    AND YOUR HEARING ISN'T ALL THAT WHOOPEE EITHER!

    --
    John

  14. Re: Apache2 Server on Hardy

    John F. Morse wrote:
    > Cork Soaker wrote:
    >> John F. Morse wrote:

    >>> You certainly have a thick head.
    >>>

    >> What?

    > YOU CERTAINLY HAVE A THICK HEAD.
    >
    > AND YOUR HEARING ISN'T ALL THAT WHOOPEE EITHER!

    I see what you said; it means nothing.
    Are you trying to suggest that I am thick because I use root access or
    SSH. I mean, what the **** is your point exactly?

  15. Re: Apache2 Server on Hardy

    Cork Soaker wrote:
    > John F. Morse wrote:
    >> Cork Soaker wrote:

    >>> What?

    >> YOU CERTAINLY HAVE A THICK HEAD.
    >>
    >> AND YOUR HEARING ISN'T ALL THAT WHOOPEE EITHER!
    >>

    > I see what you said; it means nothing.
    > Are you trying to suggest that I am thick because I use root access ... ?

    Finally you see the light!

    Or do you, since it means nothing to you whether I said it, or many
    others, including Canonical.

    You outsmart all of us!

    --
    John

  16. Re: Apache2 Server on Hardy

    On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 15:26:15 -0500, John F. Morse wrote:

    > Coffeeman wrote:
    >
    >> OK! Thanks for sticking with me here.
    >>
    >> This is what I can do:
    >>
    >> I can open Terminal and login as my admin name, then cd down to /var/
    >> www, and use sudo VIM to edit the index.html or whatever.
    >>
    >> This works well. But what if I have this nice GUI on my local machine
    >> and I'm using an editor such as Bluefish to make my website and I want
    >> to put it up from local machine to remote server?
    >>

    >> What method is generally used to remotely upload existing website to
    >> the / var/www directory? Or is this normally done?
    >>

    > You could use rcp or scp.

    The GUI file manager (java based) don't work even though I enabled
    repositories and did restricted-extras. So I can't drag and drop from
    within Webmin. To get things over from here to the server, I connected to
    server, dragged to my Home directory from Nautilus, then went to terminal
    and sudo cp'd from Home to the /var/www/mywebsite.

    For SCP, I think I'll have to go in and setup the .rhosts file and try
    SCP or RCP! Should save a few steps and a bunch of time.

    We had a few incidents with wireless port scanners skimming passwords on
    FTP and email logins, so FTP is out, and likely RCP, too.

    > If you want to use that nice fancy GUI, why not look under Ubuntu's
    > "Places" menu, and use the "Connect to server..." item.

    A big part of the whole problem is that I don't find the GUI intuitive--
    because I have insufficient experience with Apache2.

    Anyway, finding the GUI too complex so far, I went in manually through
    SSH and setup the Sites-enabled, Sites-available and hosts file. Now it
    works. I can make it usable, it's not what I'd call secure, and I'm not
    happy with my skills yet. I'd rate myself a middle 'D' so far.

    > Use the "SSH" connection type if is is a Linux box, or "Windows Share"
    > if you have Samba installed. This will mount the connection share on the
    > desktop.
    >
    > Then all you need to do is open that desktop icon, and it will show the
    > remote PC in a Nautilus file browser window. Now you can drag and drop
    > files.
    >

    >> And then I discover things get even more fun.
    >>
    >> I used mkdir to create a public_html directory in my home folder--home/
    >> myuser/public_html--and put my index.html there, thinking I could
    >> http://192.168.18.18/~myuser
    >>
    >> I got a 404 error which I didn't expect.
    >>
    >> So, I'm just fumbling around here. I think need some literature. Do
    >> you have any recommendations?
    >>

    > Don't allow the "public" to have access to your /home directory!

    Right. Took that out. I was trying about anything here. I found that on
    the web somewhere.

    > Read the caveats at http://httpd.apache.org
    >
    > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mis...tml#serverroot
    >
    > Also learn about chroot jails:
    >
    > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/m...html#chrootdir
    >
    > The term "chroot"means to change the apparent root filesystem level, not
    > anything to do with the superuser, "Root."
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroot

    Thanks! I was looking for the literature.

    >> And thanks for noticing I might break something. But that's the whole
    >> point. I set this old Gateway 900 Celeron box up as a server so I could
    >> break it plenty before I need to know how to do something on a real
    >> world server without tearing stuff up or wasting time 'on the clock'.
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>

    > I agree; it's nice to have old junkers around for testing and education.
    > Your's is certainly better than most of my 233 MHz PCs though!
    >
    > Your 900 MHz would rank in at #6 in my farm of 54. Of course, since it
    > runs on celery, it might be #7, just below a 600 MHz P-III Coppermine.
    > ;-)

    My 'personal box' is that PIII 600. Waay smarter and faster than the
    900mhz Celeron. Funny that you mentioned education. I bought them at a
    public school auction for $20.

    I'm doing Linux vs Vista. Used the UBCD to wipe my XP drives. I like
    almost everything about Ubuntu and wish I had shifted to Linux years
    sooner. There's a learning curve.

    MANY thanks to you and the group!

    Cheers,

  17. Re: Apache2 Server on Hardy

    John F. Morse wrote:
    > Cork Soaker wrote:
    >> John F. Morse wrote:

    >>> YOU CERTAINLY HAVE A THICK HEAD.
    >>>
    >>> AND YOUR HEARING ISN'T ALL THAT WHOOPEE EITHER!
    >>>

    >> I see what you said; it means nothing.
    >> Are you trying to suggest that I am thick because I use root access ... ?

    > Finally you see the light!
    >
    > Or do you, since it means nothing to you whether I said it, or many
    > others, including Canonical.
    >
    > You outsmart all of us!

    Later troll.

  18. Re: Apache2 Server on Hardy

    "John F. Morse" wrote in message

    > Or do you, since it means nothing to you whether I said it, or many
    > others, including Canonical.
    >
    > You outsmart all of us!
    >

    > --
    > John

    Another prime example of a linsux asshole

  19. Re: Apache2 Server on Hardy

    "Cork Soaker" wrote in message
    > John F. Morse wrote:
    >> Cork Soaker wrote:

    >>> What?

    >> YOU CERTAINLY HAVE A THICK HEAD.
    >>
    >> AND YOUR HEARING ISN'T ALL THAT WHOOPEE EITHER!
    >>

    > I see what you said; it means nothing.
    > Are you trying to suggest that I am thick because I use root access or
    > SSH. I mean, what the **** is your point exactly?

    He's trying to tell you that he is a linsux asshole

  20. Re: Apache2 Server on Hardy

    WhoKnew wrote:
    > "Cork Soaker" wrote in message
    >> John F. Morse wrote:

    >>> YOU CERTAINLY HAVE A THICK HEAD.
    >>>
    >>> AND YOUR HEARING ISN'T ALL THAT WHOOPEE EITHER!
    >>>

    >> I see what you said; it means nothing.
    >> Are you trying to suggest that I am thick because I use root access or
    >> SSH. I mean, what the **** is your point exactly?

    > He's trying to tell you that he is a linsux asshole

    You're quite right there. He must be a super genius with loads of
    friends and not a virgin at all.

+ Reply to Thread