Re: OT - Say Watt? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: OT - Say Watt? - Ubuntu ; caver1 wrote: > Maybe that's true. But a gas engine does not run on watts. hrydrogen > has the potential to supply much more than gas does. 2.6 times more. > Gasoline does not supply watts either. A Watt is ...

  1. Re: OT - Say Watt?

    caver1 wrote:
    > Maybe that's true. But a gas engine does not run on watts. hrydrogen
    > has the potential to supply much more than gas does. 2.6 times more.
    > Gasoline does not supply watts either.

    A Watt is a unit of power (Rate of energy)

    One "horsepower" = 746 watts = 2547 BTU/hr

    --
    Wes Groleau

    http://Ideas.Lang-Learn.us/
    For lovers of language and learning

  2. Re: OT - Say Watt?

    Wes Groleau wrote:
    > caver1 wrote:
    >> Maybe that's true. But a gas engine does not run on watts. hrydrogen
    >> has the potential to supply much more than gas does. 2.6 times more.
    >> Gasoline does not supply watts either.

    > A Watt is a unit of power (Rate of energy)
    >
    > One "horsepower" = 746 watts = 2547 BTU/hr

    And again have you tried?
    caver1

  3. Re: OT - Try it, you might learn something

    caver1 wrote:
    > And again have you tried?

    Since you hate numbers and love to try things, try these:

    1.
    Put four hundred-watt bulbs in parallel.
    Put a switch to control all of them.

    Hook them up to a sufficiently capable hand-crank generator.

    Open the switch.

    Begin cranking. When you get up to speed, have someone close the switch.

    See whether you are able to maintain the same cranking speed.

    2.
    Rig up a fairly strong electric motor to a disk brake rotor
    with its calipers on it, but open so it can spin freely.

    Put it near your electric meter and turn it on.

    Watch what the spinner in the meter does when you clamp the calipers.

    3.
    Ask yourself what turning on lights and hydrolysis have in common.

    4.
    Ask yourself what pushing a car down the road has in common
    with pushing against brake calipers.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    After the christening of his baby brother in church, Jason sobbed
    all the way home in the back seat of the car. His father asked him
    three times what was wrong. Finally, the boy replied, "That preacher
    said he wanted us brought up in a Christian home, and I wanted to
    stay with you guys."

+ Reply to Thread