Newsgroup Elimination - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Newsgroup Elimination - Ubuntu ; I have sent the following to Verizon. I hope more do the same. They are eliminating access to all but 8 supergroups. Why are you deleting perfectly good newsgroups from your service? I routinely access the following" alt.autos.jaguar alt.autos.subaru alt.engineering.electrical ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 92

  1. Newsgroup Elimination

    I have sent the following to Verizon. I hope more do the same. They are
    eliminating access to all but 8 supergroups.

    Why are you deleting perfectly good newsgroups from your service? I
    routinely access the following"
    alt.autos.jaguar
    alt.autos.subaru
    alt.engineering.electrical
    alt.ham-radio
    alt.os.linux.ubunt
    rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
    If my access is denied, I will encourage my Senate and House delegations
    to enact legistation that will restore my legitimate access to these
    groups. I think the last thing you would want is more legislation on your
    networks.

    Al

  2. Re: Newsgroup Elimination

    Al wrote:

    > I have sent the following to Verizon. I hope more do the same. They are
    > eliminating access to all but 8 supergroups.
    >
    > Why are you deleting perfectly good newsgroups from your service? I
    > routinely access the following"
    > alt.autos.jaguar
    > alt.autos.subaru
    > alt.engineering.electrical
    > alt.ham-radio
    > alt.os.linux.ubunt
    > rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
    > If my access is denied, I will encourage my Senate and House delegations
    > to enact legistation that will restore my legitimate access to these
    > groups. I think the last thing you would want is more legislation on
    > your networks.

    You did your part, which is good. (Now I am waiting for the stupid idiot
    trolls to call me a troll, because I am posting regarding this - fooey to
    you.)

    Get a Usenet ISP that will allow you to continue to post to those
    newsgroups you like.

    Have you tried Albasani.net or CNNTP.org? They are free, require
    registration but so far have been good. Albasani carries more articles,
    if you have a need to go back a little farther.

    --
    HPT

  3. Re: Newsgroup Elimination

    Al wrote:
    > I have sent the following to Verizon. I hope more do the same. They are
    > eliminating access to all but 8 supergroups.
    >

    > Why are you deleting perfectly good newsgroups from your service? I
    > routinely access the following"
    > alt.autos.jaguar
    > alt.autos.subaru
    > alt.engineering.electrical
    > alt.ham-radio
    > alt.os.linux.ubunt
    > rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
    > If my access is denied, I will encourage my Senate and House delegations
    > to enact legistation that will restore my legitimate access to these
    > groups. I think the last thing you would want is more legislation on
    > your networks.

    The part of your gripe which is related to 'consumerism' is legitimate,
    rather 'appropriate' - forget about law/legitimacy. You the consumer
    would wish that your provider provided for your wishes and the wishes of
    your fellow consumers, from a competitive provider perspective.

    However, the part of your gripe which is related to government dictatorial
    interference in business - enact legistlation to force a provider to
    provide some specific access to something - is nuts.

    Obviously no such law could ever happen, nor would I want it to. There
    are numerous ways for you to access the groups you want, likely with
    better newsserver administration than verizon provided.

    --
    Mike Easter

  4. Re: Newsgroup Elimination

    Al wrote:
    > I have sent the following to Verizon. I hope more do the same. They are
    > eliminating access to all but 8 supergroups.
    >

    > Why are you deleting perfectly good newsgroups from your service? I
    > routinely access the following"
    > alt.autos.jaguar
    > alt.autos.subaru
    > alt.engineering.electrical
    > alt.ham-radio
    > alt.os.linux.ubunt
    > rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
    > If my access is denied, I will encourage my Senate and House delegations
    > to enact legistation that will restore my legitimate access to these
    > groups. I think the last thing you would want is more legislation on your
    > networks.
    >
    > Al

    We don't need any more stinking legislation.

    What we need are less laws.

    Maybe then we can use our guns on those who need a reminder the most, eh.

    --
    John

  5. Re: Newsgroup Elimination

    On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 21:28:28 +0000, Al wrote:

    > I have sent the following to Verizon. I hope more do the same. They are
    > eliminating access to all but 8 supergroups.
    >

    > Why are you deleting perfectly good newsgroups from your service? I
    > routinely access the following"
    > alt.autos.jaguar
    > alt.autos.subaru
    > alt.engineering.electrical
    > alt.ham-radio
    > alt.os.linux.ubunt
    > rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
    > If my access is denied, I will encourage my Senate and House delegations
    > to enact legistation that will restore my legitimate access to these
    > groups. I think the last thing you would want is more legislation on
    > your networks.
    >
    > Al

    Suggest you just get over it. A lot of ISPs don't even provide a news
    server. There are plenty of inexpensive alternatives - I've been using
    news.individual.net for a few years now and it's performance exceeds any
    ISP's I've seen so far. Cost is one euro per month, as I recall.

  6. Re: Newsgroup Elimination

    On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 21:28:28 +0000, Al wrote:

    > I have sent the following to Verizon. I hope more do the same. They are
    > eliminating access to all but 8 supergroups.

    They won't even read it. If they do, they'll laugh at you like they do
    with everyone else. They don't give a ****, and you're not going to scare
    them into anything with vague threats of bull**** "legislation" that won't
    ever happen.

    Might as well quit whining, and start shopping for a commercial NNTP
    provider.

    --
    "Bother!" said Pooh, as the woodpecker approached his hot-air balloon.

  7. Re: Newsgroup Elimination

    ray wrote in news:6bttkfF3dhjlnU1@mid.individual.net:

    > Cost is one euro per month, as I recall.

    10 Euros a year, once a year. Best deal on the planet. No sporge, no spam.

  8. Re: Newsgroup Elimination

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > However, the part of your gripe which is related to government
    > dictatorial interference in business - enact legistlation to force a
    > provider to provide some specific access to something - is nuts.
    >
    > Obviously no such law could ever happen, nor would I want it to. There
    > are numerous ways for you to access the groups you want, likely with
    > better newsserver administration than verizon provided.

    Oh yes, they are happening in US, like the one now where one is limited to
    how much antihistamine a citizen can buy, because it contains
    pseudoephedrine or similar products.

    I used to purchase 4 or 5 boxes for allergies, stock up and go 4 to 6
    months without any hassles. Now, they limit me to one box a week, which
    is really stupid, like they are stopping the drug dealers by inhibiting
    the common citizen.

    Now with DRM legislation, border search and seizure for illicite "CD's",
    US is becoming a police state.

    Don't take nail clippers or leathermans across the border.

    --
    HPT

  9. Re: Newsgroup Elimination

    John F. Morse wrote:

    > We don't need any more stinking legislation.
    >
    > What we need are less laws.

    I disagree, we need one more law that states for every one new law
    passed they have to eliminate at least three.

  10. Re: Newsgroup Elimination

    On 06/18/2008 09:03 PM High Plains Thumper scribbled:

    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >
    >> However, the part of your gripe which is related to government
    >> dictatorial interference in business - enact legistlation to force a
    >> provider to provide some specific access to something - is nuts.
    >>
    >> Obviously no such law could ever happen, nor would I want it to. There
    >> are numerous ways for you to access the groups you want, likely with
    >> better newsserver administration than verizon provided.

    > Oh yes, they are happening in US, like the one now where one is limited to
    > how much antihistamine a citizen can buy, because it contains
    > pseudoephedrine or similar products.
    >
    > I used to purchase 4 or 5 boxes for allergies, stock up and go 4 to 6
    > months without any hassles.

    if you are whining about this, you really are an idiot, as has been
    opined hereabouts before.
    maybe your nym should be highplains tweaker???

  11. Re: Newsgroup Elimination

    In article <-ZCdndnVB7BeQMTVnZ2dnUVZ_g6dnZ2d@trueband.net>, User wrote:
    >John F. Morse wrote:
    >

    >> We don't need any more stinking legislation.
    >>
    >> What we need are less laws.
    >>

    >I disagree, we need one more law that states for every one new law
    >passed they have to eliminate at least three.

    I would like to suggest that a better idea would be to add a new amendment
    to the constitution so that ALL laws go on the books with an expiration date.

    My proposal would be that new laws expire after ten years. Laws that are
    already on the books can be renwed by congress for one hundred years so long
    as no change is made in wording or punctuation.

    Test drive every law and keep congress busy renwing old laws.

    The mountain of law books under which we live and work would shrink
    tremendously and become vastly more relevant in both intent and application.

  12. Re: Newsgroup Elimination

    elaich wrote:

    > ray wrote in news:6bttkfF3dhjlnU1@mid.individual.net:
    >
    >> Cost is one euro per month, as I recall.
    >>

    > 10 Euros a year, once a year. Best deal on the planet. No sporge, no spam.

    I use Motzarella and it's completely free, It's hard to get better than
    that and it does everything I could want. You
    just have to register first, but there's no cost.

    --
    Peace,
    Fred

  13. Re: Newsgroup Elimination

    * Mike Easter wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    [...]

    > However, the part of your gripe which is related to government
    > dictatorial interference in business - enact legistlation to force a
    > provider to provide some specific access to something - is nuts.
    >
    > Obviously no such law could ever happen, [...]

    Really? What do you call the government interference in a businesses right
    to permit smoking on its premises if the guy who spent his life savings on
    the business and assumed all the risk wants to allow it?

    Sounds like it happens everyday, at least at the state level.

    --
    David

  14. Re: Newsgroup Elimination

    SINNER wrote:
    > * Mike Easter wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >
    > [...]
    >

    >> However, the part of your gripe which is related to government
    >> dictatorial interference in business - enact legistlation to force a
    >> provider to provide some specific access to something - is nuts.
    >>
    >> Obviously no such law could ever happen, [...]
    >>

    > Really? What do you call the government interference in a businesses right
    > to permit smoking on its premises if the guy who spent his life savings on
    > the business and assumed all the risk wants to allow it?
    >
    > Sounds like it happens everyday, at least at the state level.

    What would you call it if there were people who objected to a "business
    owner" who allowed open sales of dope on his property?

    Or provided prostitution?

    Or even child prostitution?

    The law is designed to protect the innocent, not some business owner. He
    is there to sell food or beverage, and as far as I know, no law
    prohibits that.

    --
    John

  15. Re: Newsgroup Elimination

    On 2008-06-19, John F. Morse wrote:
    > SINNER wrote:
    >> * Mike Easter wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >>
    >> [...]
    >>

    >>> However, the part of your gripe which is related to government
    >>> dictatorial interference in business - enact legistlation to force a
    >>> provider to provide some specific access to something - is nuts.
    >>>
    >>> Obviously no such law could ever happen, [...]
    >>>

    >> Really? What do you call the government interference in a businesses right
    >> to permit smoking on its premises if the guy who spent his life savings on
    >> the business and assumed all the risk wants to allow it?
    >>
    >> Sounds like it happens everyday, at least at the state level.

    > What would you call it if there were people who objected to a "business
    > owner" who allowed open sales of dope on his property?

    Free choice.

    > Or provided prostitution?

    Free choice.

    > Or even child prostitution?

    Slavery.

    > The law is designed to protect the innocent, not some business owner. He
    > is there to sell food or beverage, and as far as I know, no law
    > prohibits that.

    The law doesn't protect the innocent. The individual should have no
    more rights than the individual business owner. All men were created
    equal, but under Liberal rule, some are more equal than others...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  16. Re: Newsgroup Elimination

    --
    hpt

  17. Re: Newsgroup Elimination

    Joe wrote:

    > On 2008-06-19, John F. Morse wrote:
    >> SINNER wrote:
    >>> * Mike Easter wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >>>
    >>> [...]
    >>>>

    >>> Really? What do you call the government interference in a businesses
    >>> right to permit smoking on its premises if the guy who spent his life
    >>> savings on the business and assumed all the risk wants to allow it?
    >>>
    >>> Sounds like it happens everyday, at least at the state level.

    >> What would you call it if there were people who objected to a "business
    >> owner" who allowed open sales of dope on his property?

    > Free choice.

    Addictive drugs are not free choice. They build their own demand and
    addicts have no choice. They are unable to make a choice.

    >> Or provided prostitution?

    > Free choice.

    This is also slavery in many cases.

    >> Or even child prostitution?

    > Slavery.

    Yup.

    >> The law is designed to protect the innocent, not some business owner. He
    >> is there to sell food or beverage, and as far as I know, no law
    >> prohibits that.

    > The law doesn't protect the innocent. The individual should have no
    > more rights than the individual business owner. All men were created
    > equal, but under Liberal rule, some are more equal than others...

    Yes, the law does not protect the innocent, but that's what it is supposed
    to do. Corporations were invented to help the rich avoid responsibility
    and liability for their actions.
    The individual should have many rights. Corporations should not exist.

    --
    Peace,
    Fred
    (Remove FFFf from my email address to reply by email).

  18. Re: Newsgroup Elimination

    * John F. Morse wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > SINNER wrote:
    >> * Mike Easter wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >>
    >> [...]
    >>

    >>> However, the part of your gripe which is related to government
    >>> dictatorial interference in business - enact legistlation to force a
    >>> provider to provide some specific access to something - is nuts.
    >>>
    >>> Obviously no such law could ever happen, [...]
    >>>

    >> Really? What do you call the government interference in a businesses
    >> right to permit smoking on its premises if the guy who spent his life
    >> savings on the business and assumed all the risk wants to allow it?
    >>
    >> Sounds like it happens everyday, at least at the state level.

    > What would you call it if there were people who objected to a
    > "business owner" who allowed open sales of dope on his property?

    Dope is Illegal.

    > Or provided prostitution?

    Illegal

    > Or even child prostitution?

    Illegal

    > The law is designed to protect the innocent, not some business owner.
    > He is there to sell food or beverage, and as far as I know, no law
    > prohibits that.

    Unless something has changed, Tobacco is legal.

    Your arguments are non-sequitor. A Business owner is there to provide
    whatever he wants to provide within the bounds of the law, you dont have
    to patronize him if he does something you dont like and he subsequently
    can decide to change or remain the same.

    --
    David

  19. Re: Newsgroup Elimination

    * Fred wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    [...]

    >>> What would you call it if there were people who objected to a
    >>> "business owner" who allowed open sales of dope on his property?

    >> Free choice.
    >>

    > Addictive drugs are not free choice. They build their own
    > demand and
    > addicts have no choice. They are unable to make a choice.

    So someone pushed the needle into the addicts arm or tied them down and
    blew pot smoke in their face?

    --
    David

  20. Re: Newsgroup Elimination

    SINNER wrote:

    > * Fred wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >
    > [...]
    >>>
    >>> Free choice.
    >>>

    >> Addictive drugs are not free choice. They build their own
    >> demand and
    >> addicts have no choice. They are unable to make a choice.
    >>

    > So someone pushed the needle into the addicts arm or tied them down and
    > blew pot smoke in their face?

    They are "addictive." What part of Addictive don't you understand?