apt-get GPG key error message - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on apt-get GPG key error message - Ubuntu ; Does anyone have any idea how to solve this? W: GPG error: http://server hardy Release: The following signatures were invalid: BADSIG 40976EAF437D05B5 Ubuntu Archive Automatic Signing Key W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems TIA...

  1. apt-get GPG key error message

    Does anyone have any idea how to solve this?

    W: GPG error: http://server hardy Release: The following signatures were
    invalid: BADSIG 40976EAF437D05B5 Ubuntu Archive Automatic Signing Key

    TIA

  2. Re: apt-get GPG key error message

    Cork Soaker wrote:
    > Does anyone have any idea how to solve this?
    >
    > W: GPG error: http://server hardy Release: The following signatures
    > were invalid: BADSIG 40976EAF437D05B5 Ubuntu Archive Automatic Signing
    > Key
    > W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
    >
    > TIA

    Run apt-get update?

    --
    John

  3. Re: apt-get GPG key error message

    John F. Morse wrote:
    > Cork Soaker wrote:
    >> Does anyone have any idea how to solve this?
    >>
    >> W: GPG error: http://server hardy Release: The following signatures
    >> were invalid: BADSIG 40976EAF437D05B5 Ubuntu Archive Automatic Signing
    >> Key
    >> W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
    >>
    >> TIA

    > Run apt-get update?

    It's apt-get update that gives the error.

  4. Re: apt-get GPG key error message

    John - can you contact me off-line? (kopfj@att.net)

    John Kopf

    John F. Morse wrote:
    > SNIP

  5. Re: apt-get GPG key error message

    Cork Soaker wrote:
    > Does anyone have any idea how to solve this?
    >
    > W: GPG error: http://server hardy Release: The following signatures were
    > invalid: BADSIG 40976EAF437D05B5 Ubuntu Archive Automatic Signing Key
    >
    > W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
    >
    > TIA

    Getting worse! I can't figure out why. This happens on all the
    computers using the server - so I guess it's a server problem. :-(

    W: GPG error: http://homeserver hardy Release: The following signatures
    were invalid: BADSIG 40976EAF437D05B5 Ubuntu Archive Automatic Signing
    Key
    W: Failed to fetch
    http://homeserver:9999/ubuntu/dists/...6/Packages.bz2
    Hash Sum mismatch

    W: Failed to fetch
    http://homeserver:9999/ubuntu/dists/...ce/Sources.bz2
    Hash Sum mismatch

    W: Failed to fetch
    http://homeserver:9999/ubuntu/dists/...6/Packages.bz2
    Hash Sum mismatch

    W: Failed to fetch
    http://homeserver:9999/ubuntu/dists/...6/Packages.bz2
    Hash Sum mismatch

    W: Failed to fetch
    http://homeserver:9999/ubuntu/dists/...ce/Sources.bz2
    Hash Sum mismatch

    W: Failed to fetch
    http://homeserver:9999/ubuntu/dists/...ce/Sources.bz2
    Hash Sum mismatch

    E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old
    ones used instead.

  6. Re: apt-get GPG key error message

    Cork Soaker illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Cork Soaker wrote:
    >> Does anyone have any idea how to solve this?

    Yes.

    >> W: GPG error: http://server hardy Release: The following signatures were
    >> invalid: BADSIG 40976EAF437D05B5 Ubuntu Archive Automatic Signing Key
    >>
    >> W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
    >>
    >> TIA

    > Getting worse! I can't figure out why. This happens on all the
    > computers using the server - so I guess it's a server problem. :-(
    >
    > W: GPG error: http://homeserver hardy Release:

    You've not got a signing key for

    http://homeserver

    Which, IMHO, is a bloody good thing.

    You need to change your sources list to point to a proper repository
    mirror or read up about how to correctly set up your own mirror

    The errors you are getting are because the GPG keys cannot be
    verified. That's the first thing to look into.

    --
    Moog

    “Are you going to come quietly, or do I have to use earplugs?”

  7. Re: apt-get GPG key error message

    Moog wrote:

    >> W: GPG error: http://homeserver hardy Release:

    > You've not got a signing key for
    >
    > http://homeserver
    >
    > Which, IMHO, is a bloody good thing.
    >
    > You need to change your sources list to point to a proper repository
    > mirror or read up about how to correctly set up your own mirror
    >
    > The errors you are getting are because the GPG keys cannot be
    > verified. That's the first thing to look into.

    It's worked fine for months though. I don't understand what has changed.

  8. Re: apt-get GPG key error message

    I demand that Moog may or may not have written...

    > Cork Soaker illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Cork Soaker wrote:
    >>> Does anyone have any idea how to solve this?

    > Yes.
    >>> W: GPG error: http://server hardy Release: The following signatures were
    >>> invalid: BADSIG 40976EAF437D05B5 Ubuntu Archive Automatic Signing Key
    >>>
    >>> W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems

    >> Getting worse! I can't figure out why. This happens on all the
    >> computers using the server - so I guess it's a server problem. :-(
    >> W: GPG error: http://homeserver hardy Release:

    [snip]
    > You need to change your sources list to point to a proper repository mirror
    > or read up about how to correctly set up your own mirror

    Or a caching proxy. (I use apt-cacher.)

    [snip]
    | Let's keep the pound sterling

    Any smoothly functioning technology is indistinguishable from a rigged demo.

  9. Re: apt-get GPG key error message

    On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 00:59:20 +0100, Cork Soaker wrote:

    > Moog wrote:
    >
    >>> W: GPG error: http://homeserver hardy Release:

    >> You've not got a signing key for
    >>
    >> http://homeserver
    >>
    >> Which, IMHO, is a bloody good thing.
    >>
    >> You need to change your sources list to point to a proper repository
    >> mirror or read up about how to correctly set up your own mirror
    >>
    >> The errors you are getting are because the GPG keys cannot be verified.
    >> That's the first thing to look into.
    >>

    > It's worked fine for months though. I don't understand what has
    > changed.

    Just guessing (in fact really, really guessing) here but are you aware of
    this recent update:

    Commit Log for Fri Jun 13 22:31:06 2008

    Upgraded the following packages:
    openssl-blacklist (0.1-0ubuntu0.8.04.4) to 0.3.3+0.4-0ubuntu0.8.04.1
    xserver-xorg-core (2:1.4.1~git20080131-1ubuntu9) to
    2:1.4.1~git20080131-1ubuntu9.2

  10. Re: apt-get GPG key error message

    Darren Salt wrote:

    > [snip]
    >> You need to change your sources list to point to a proper repository mirror
    >> or read up about how to correctly set up your own mirror

    > Or a caching proxy. (I use apt-cacher.)
    >
    > [snip]

    This is apt-proxy.

  11. Re: apt-get GPG key error message

    propman illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> You've not got a signing key for
    >>>
    >>> http://homeserver
    >>>
    >>> Which, IMHO, is a bloody good thing.
    >>>
    >>> You need to change your sources list to point to a proper repository
    >>> mirror or read up about how to correctly set up your own mirror
    >>>
    >>> The errors you are getting are because the GPG keys cannot be verified.
    >>> That's the first thing to look into.
    >>>

    >> It's worked fine for months though. I don't understand what has
    >> changed.

    > Just guessing (in fact really, really guessing) here but are you aware of
    > this recent update:
    >
    > Commit Log for Fri Jun 13 22:31:06 2008
    >

    > Upgraded the following packages:
    > openssl-blacklist (0.1-0ubuntu0.8.04.4) to 0.3.3+0.4-0ubuntu0.8.04.1
    > xserver-xorg-core (2:1.4.1~git20080131-1ubuntu9) to
    > 2:1.4.1~git20080131-1ubuntu9.2

    Good darts. It could well be related.

    --
    Moog

    “Are you going to come quietly, or do I have to use earplugs?”

  12. Re: apt-get GPG key error message

    propman wrote:

    >> It's worked fine for months though. I don't understand what has
    >> changed.

    > Just guessing (in fact really, really guessing) here but are you aware of
    > this recent update:
    >
    > Commit Log for Fri Jun 13 22:31:06 2008
    >

    > Upgraded the following packages:
    > openssl-blacklist (0.1-0ubuntu0.8.04.4) to 0.3.3+0.4-0ubuntu0.8.04.1
    > xserver-xorg-core (2:1.4.1~git20080131-1ubuntu9) to
    > 2:1.4.1~git20080131-1ubuntu9.2

    Hmmm. If that has affected it, any idea how I would fix it? :-/

  13. Re: apt-get GPG key error message

    On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 16:36:39 +0100, Cork Soaker wrote:

    > propman wrote:
    >
    >>> It's worked fine for months though. I don't understand what has
    >>> changed.

    >> Just guessing (in fact really, really guessing) here but are you aware
    >> of this recent update:
    >>
    >> Commit Log for Fri Jun 13 22:31:06 2008
    >>

    >> Upgraded the following packages:
    >> openssl-blacklist (0.1-0ubuntu0.8.04.4) to 0.3.3+0.4-0ubuntu0.8.04.1
    >> xserver-xorg-core (2:1.4.1~git20080131-1ubuntu9) to
    >> 2:1.4.1~git20080131-1ubuntu9.2
    >>

    > Hmmm. If that has affected it, any idea how I would fix it? :-/

    Those "little old ladies and children" that Bill was mentioning in
    another thread would probably have a better idea that I!

    I did however do a Goggle and the following turned up:

    http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/USN-612-9

    The page outlines some tests that can be run....at least you can check
    the validity of the update and disregard it as being a potential source
    of your problem area if the tests pass.

    Did you by any chance check to see if the beginning of the problem and
    the update dates coincide?

    Other than the standard check dependencies, broken packages, uninstall/
    reinstall I'm at a loss to what may or may not be pertinent...sorry! :-(

  14. Re: apt-get GPG key error message

    On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 13:46:25 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > propman illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 00:59:20 +0100, Cork Soaker wrote:
    >>
    >>> It's worked fine for months though. I don't understand what has
    >>> changed.

    >> Just guessing (in fact really, really guessing) here but are you aware
    >> of this recent update:
    >>
    >> Commit Log for Fri Jun 13 22:31:06 2008
    >>

    >> Upgraded the following packages:
    >> openssl-blacklist (0.1-0ubuntu0.8.04.4) to 0.3.3+0.4-0ubuntu0.8.04.1
    >> xserver-xorg-core (2:1.4.1~git20080131-1ubuntu9) to
    >> 2:1.4.1~git20080131-1ubuntu9.2

    > Good darts. It could well be related.

    Cheers. Didn't figure it would hurt anything to send the info along...:-)

  15. Re: apt-get GPG key error message

    propman wrote:

    > Did you by any chance check to see if the beginning of the problem and
    > the update dates coincide?
    >
    > Other than the standard check dependencies, broken packages, uninstall/
    > reinstall I'm at a loss to what may or may not be pertinent...sorry! :-(

    I tried a purge/reinstall of apt-proxy but that didn't help.

    I gave up and took drastic action - purged the cache. Problem solved.

    I think it may have occurred when I set up the headers in
    apt-proxy-v2.conf incorrectly causing the wrong keys to be download, and
    just causing general confusion. I tried deleting the files I thought
    would hold the keys, but that didn't seem to solve it, so a cache purge
    seemed to be the only option.
    So long as I don't bugger things up again, I do not foresee this
    happening again.

    Yeah, so, ummm, don't do it!

  16. Re: apt-get GPG key error message

    On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 01:40:45 +0100, Cork Soaker wrote:

    > I gave up and took drastic action - purged the cache. Problem solved.

    > Good to hear!

    > I think it may have occurred when I set up the headers in
    > apt-proxy-v2.conf incorrectly causing the wrong keys to be download, and
    > just causing general confusion. I tried deleting the files I thought
    > would hold the keys, but that didn't seem to solve it, so a cache purge
    > seemed to be the only option.
    > So long as I don't bugger things up again, I do not foresee this
    > happening again.
    >
    > Yeah, so, ummm, don't do it!

    Heh! Been going through a similar situation myself! ;-)

+ Reply to Thread