Update problems - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Update problems - Ubuntu ; I do like the auto update feature (which included samba) but today's updates resulted in the following errors: E: samba-common: subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1 E: smbclient: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured E: smbfs: dependency problems - ...

  1. Update problems

    I do like the auto update feature (which included samba) but today's
    updates resulted in the following errors:

    E: samba-common: subprocess post-installation script returned error exit
    status 1
    E: smbclient: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    E: smbfs: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    E: pyneighborhood: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    E: samba: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    E: swat: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    E: libpam-smbpass: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured

    --

    I have tried to delete all samba and reinstall but I keep getting the
    same errors. Any solutions?

    Franz Fripplfrappl

  2. Re: Update problems

    franz fripplfrappl wrote:
    > I do like the auto update feature (which included samba) but today's
    > updates resulted in the following errors:
    >
    > E: samba-common: subprocess post-installation script returned error exit
    > status 1
    > E: smbclient: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    > E: smbfs: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    > E: pyneighborhood: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    > E: samba: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    > E: swat: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    > E: libpam-smbpass: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    >

    > --
    >
    > I have tried to delete all samba and reinstall but I keep getting the
    > same errors. Any solutions?

    Obviously you failed to do what it told you to do:

    "It is impossible to install or remove any software. Please use the
    package manager "Synaptic" or run "sudo apt-get install -f" in a
    terminal to fix this issue at first."

    So, run the "sudo apt-get install -f" in a terminal so you can see what
    the errors are. Then post them here. Everything it reports.

    I suggest you always copy error messages and paste them into a text
    editor so you will have them for later reference. You can copy from
    Synaptic's "Terminal" window.

    Do not simply dismiss error message windows. Doing so means you are
    throwing away your valuable diagnostic clues.

    You may see something like what I received after the failure:

    john@ubuntu6.06:~$ sudo apt-get install -f

    Password:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    Correcting dependencies... Done
    samba
    Recommended packages:
    smbldap-tools
    samba
    1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 0B/2852kB of archives.
    After unpacking 4096B of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? yes
    Preconfiguring packages ...
    (Reading database ... 174932 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace samba 3.0.22-1ubuntu3.6 (using
    ..../samba_3.0.22-1ubuntu3.7_ i386.deb) ...
    invoke-rc.d: dangling symlink: /etc/rc2.d/S91samba
    dpkg: warning - old pre-removal script returned error exit status 102
    dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
    invoke-rc.d: dangling symlink: /etc/rc2.d/S91samba
    dpkg: error processing
    /var/cache/apt/archives/samba_3.0.22-1ubuntu3.7_i386.deb (--unpack):
    subprocess new pre-removal script returned error exit status 102
    /var/cache/apt/archives/samba_3.0.22-1ubuntu3.7_i386.deb
    john@ubuntu6.06:~$

    john@ubuntu6.06:~$ sudo rm /etc/rc2.d/S91samba

    john@ubuntu6.06:~$ sudo apt-get install -f
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    Correcting dependencies... Done
    samba
    Recommended packages:
    smbldap-tools
    samba
    1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 0B/2852kB of archives.
    After unpacking 4096B of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
    Preconfiguring packages ...
    (Reading database ... 174932 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace samba 3.0.22-1ubuntu3.6 (using
    ..../samba_3.0.22-1ubuntu3.7_i386.deb) ...
    * Stopping Samba
    daemons...
    [ ok ]
    Unpacking replacement samba ...
    Setting up samba (3.0.22-1ubuntu3.7) ...
    update-rc.d: warning: /etc/rc3.d/S91samba is not a link to
    .../init.d/samba or /etc/init.d/samba
    * Starting Samba
    daemons...
    [ ok ]

    john@ubuntu6.06: cd /etc/rc3.d

    john@ubuntu6.06:/etc/rc3.d$ sudo rm S91samba

    john@ubuntu6.06:/etc/rc3.d$ sudo ln -s ../init.d/samba S91samba

    That took care of my problem.

    --
    John

  3. Re: Update problems

    On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 11:23:17 -0500, John F. Morse wrote:

> [...]

    > Correcting dependencies... Done
    > samba
    > Recommended packages:
    > smbldap-tools
    > samba
    > 1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded. Need to
    > get 0B/2852kB of archives.
    > After unpacking 4096B of additional disk space will be used. Do you want
    > to continue [Y/n]? y
    > Preconfiguring packages ...
    > (Reading database ... 174932 files and directories currently installed.)
    > Preparing to replace samba 3.0.22-1ubuntu3.6 (using
    > .../samba_3.0.22-1ubuntu3.7_i386.deb) ...
    > * Stopping Samba
    > daemons...
    > [ ok ]
    > Unpacking replacement samba ...
    > Setting up samba (3.0.22-1ubuntu3.7) ... update-rc.d: warning:
    > /etc/rc3.d/S91samba is not a link to ../init.d/samba or

    Here's the results:

    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    7 not fully installed or removed.
    After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be used.
    Setting up samba-common (3.0.28a-1ubuntu4.2) ...
    Not replacing deleted config file /etc/samba/smb.conf
    chmod: cannot access `/etc/samba/smb.conf': No such file or directory
    dpkg: error processing samba-common (--configure):
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of smbclient:
    smbclient depends on samba-common (= 3.0.28a-1ubuntu4.2); however:
    Package samba-common is not configured yet.
    dpkg: error processing smbclient (--configure):
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of smbfs:
    smbfs depends on samba-common (= 3.0.28a-1ubuntu4.2); however:
    Package samba-common is not configured yet.
    dpkg: error processing smbfs (--configure):
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of pyneighborhood:
    pyneighborhood depends on smbclient (>= 3.0.22); however:
    Package smbclient is not configured yet.
    pyneighborhood depends on smbfs; however:
    Package smbfs is not configured yet.
    dpkg: error processing pyneighborhood (--configure):
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of samba:
    samba depends on samba-common (= 3.0.28a-1ubuntu4.2); however:
    Package samba-common is not configured yet.
    dpkg: error processing samba (--configure):
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of swat:
    swat depends on samba (= 3.0.28a-1ubuntu4.2); however:
    Package samba is not configured yet.
    dpkg: error processing swat (--configure):
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libpam-smbpass:
    libpam-smbpass depends on samba-common (= 3.0.28a-1ubuntu4.2); however:
    Package samba-common is not configured yet.
    dpkg: error processing libpam-smbpass (--configure):
    samba-common
    smbclient
    smbfs
    pyneighborhood
    samba
    swat
    libpam-smbpass

    Franz Fripplfrappl

  4. Re: Update problems

> [...]

    > Correcting dependencies... Done
    > samba
    > Recommended packages:
    > smbldap-tools
    > samba
    > 1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded. Need to
    > get 0B/2852kB of archives.
    > After unpacking 4096B of additional disk space will be used. Do you want
    > to continue [Y/n]? y
    > Preconfiguring packages ...
    > (Reading database ... 174932 files and directories currently installed.)
    > Preparing to replace samba 3.0.22-1ubuntu3.6 (using
    > .../samba_3.0.22-1ubuntu3.7_i386.deb) ...
    > * Stopping Samba
    > daemons...
    > [ ok ]
    > Unpacking replacement samba ...
    > Setting up samba (3.0.22-1ubuntu3.7) ... update-rc.d: warning:
    > /etc/rc3.d/S91samba is not a link to ../init.d/samba or

    Thanks for the help.

    I was missing smb.conf. Created the file and now everything seems OK.

    Franz Fripplfrappl

  5. Re: Update problems

    franz fripplfrappl illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > I do like the auto update feature (which included samba) but today's
    > updates resulted in the following errors:
    >
    > E: samba-common: subprocess post-installation script returned error exit
    > status 1
    > E: smbclient: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    > E: smbfs: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    > E: pyneighborhood: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    > E: samba: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    > E: swat: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    > E: libpam-smbpass: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    >

    > --
    >
    > I have tried to delete all samba and reinstall but I keep getting the
    > same errors. Any solutions?

    Does
    $ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

    not fix the dependencies?

    --
    Moog

    “Are you going to come quietly, or do I have to use earplugs?”

+ Reply to Thread