Clean up old kernels in ubuntu - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Clean up old kernels in ubuntu - Ubuntu ; johnny bobby bee illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing: > Moog wrote: >> I do use vim, but is it installed by default? > > Well, vi is included by default. Well who'd have thunk it? -- Moog “Are you going to ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 83

Thread: Clean up old kernels in ubuntu

  1. Re: Clean up old kernels in ubuntu

    johnny bobby bee illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >> I do use vim, but is it installed by default?

    >
    > Well, vi is included by default.


    Well who'd have thunk it?

    --
    Moog

    “Are you going to come quietly, or do I have to use earplugs?”

  2. Re: Clean up old kernels in ubuntu

    On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 17:05:04 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > dennis@home illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>
    >>
    >> "Moog" wrote in message
    >> news:6bqribF3d7m06U1@mid.individual.net...
    >>> johnny bobby bee illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>>> Moog wrote:
    >>>>> No problem. It beats the hell out of b0rking the klack out of your
    >>>>> menu.list
    >>>>> using nano from within single user mode. ;-)
    >>>>
    >>>> Nano? Weak!
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> I do use vim, but is it installed by default?
    >>>
    >>> I mentioned Nano for the benefit of the n00bs. ;-)

    >>
    >> I've had to use nano to get Ubuntu to install before now. ;-)

    >
    > See. Told yer!
    > ;-)



    Didn't even know about the existence of Nano until you mentioned it in
    one of your responses.....a couple of days later, after some tinkering I
    had a hiccup with the system and couldn't reboot. Pulled out the
    SystemRescueDisk and saw that Nano was one of the offered text editors,
    so used it to delete the errant entry in one of my config files. Cute
    little rascal and one I'm sure I will end up using again.


  3. Re: Clean up old kernels in ubuntu

    Matt wrote:
    > John F. Morse wrote:
    >> Matt wrote:
    >>
    >>> You could set up something like a cron job that would (by some
    >>> combination of ls -a, wc, sed, perl, and tail) find all old vmlinuz*
    >>> files in /boot and remove the associated packages using apt or so,
    >>> as suggested by Andreas.
    >>>
    >>> Instead of a cron job, you could run it at boot time, since you will
    >>> be rebooting after updating to your new kernel. That way you could
    >>> assume the invariant that there would be at most one old kernel.
    >>> Then you could just remove the package for the older of the two
    >>> vmlinuz* files, if there were more than one at boot time.

    >>
    >>
    >> A roofer could use a ten-pound sledge hammer to make sure all the
    >> nails were fully driven.
    >>
    >> Just how difficult is it to remove a kernel once every 90 days?

    >
    >
    > I think I can say that it is somewhat more difficult than putting me
    > in your kill file.



    You might be surprised just how many kill files would be involved.

    Several news clients on this PC, and many more PCs, all with several
    news clients.

    It's easier to just ignore you instead of trying to teach you something.
    You obviously have little understanding of tongue-in-cheek comments.


    --
    John

    No Microsoft, Apple, Intel, Novell, Trend Micro, nor Ford products were used in the preparation or transmission of this message.

    The EULA sounds like it was written by a team of lawyers who want to tell me what I can't do. The GPL sounds like it was written by a human being, who wants me to know what I can do.

  4. Re: Clean up old kernels in ubuntu

    On 2008-06-18, Andres E. Hernando wrote:
    > In Wed, 18 Jun 2008 01:25:51, Jim Cochrane wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >> On 2008-06-18, Moog wrote:
    >>> Dan C illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>>> On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 22:18:51 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>>>> ...
    >>>

    >>
    >> [Damn - I've killfiled Dan C, but I keep seeing his messages anyway
    >> because people keep replying to him. Maybe I should just killfile
    >> everybody ;-) ]

    >
    > Haven't tried it myself but shouldn't slrn be able to kill
    > any post that answers one from Grumpy Danny? Something like:
    >
    > Score:: =-9999
    > References: youmustbejoking@lan\.invalid\.fqdn>$


    Thanks for pointing that out; if I get irritated enough at some point
    I'll try it. (I already use slrn, btw.)

    >
    > If it works, I'd seriously consider moving to slrn...
    >
    > Saludos,
    > AHG



    --


  5. Re: Clean up old kernels in ubuntu

    On 2008-06-19, Moog wrote:
    > Jim Cochrane illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >
    >>
    >> [Damn - I've killfiled Dan C, but I keep seeing his messages anyway
    >> because people keep replying to him. Maybe I should just killfile
    >> everybody ;-) ]

    >
    > I cannot believe that everyone killfiles him. His razor sharp whit and
    > repartee make me smile.


    Well, for razor sharp wit, I prefer someone like Bill Maher. (You were
    being facetious, no?)

    > Sometimes people take things too personally. Dan C is hilarious. You
    > just have to read between the lines.


    Personally, I don't take his posts personally - they're more like a
    misquito - i.e., a nuisance. Wasted milliseconds on posts, to me, of
    no value.

    >
    > I have a game I play. Count the DanC catchphrases in his posts. When
    > he includes them all, I feel duty bound to voice my approval.


    Sounds like you've got a lot of time on your hands :-)

    >
    > Did that make sense? Who ties your shoelaces in the morning? Bugger
    > off Windroid, n00b.
    > ;-)
    >



    --


  6. Re: Clean up old kernels in ubuntu

    Ignoramus17809 wrote:
    > Old kernels seem to be accumulating instead of being phased out. So
    > right now on my laptop I have
    >
    > i linux-image-2.6.24-12-generic - Linux kernel image for version 2.6.24 on x
    > i linux-image-2.6.24-15-generic - Linux kernel image for version 2.6.24 on x
    > i linux-image-2.6.24-16-generic - Linux kernel image for version 2.6.24 on x
    > i linux-image-2.6.24-17-generic - Linux kernel image for version 2.6.24 on x
    > i A linux-image-2.6.24-18-generic - Linux kernel image for version 2.6.24 on x
    > i A linux-image-2.6.24-19-generic - Linux kernel image for version 2.6.24 on x
    >
    >
    > which is way too much. Is there some way to clean them up so that I
    > have only a couple of latest ones (and maybe the first one).
    >



    Geez you people do things the hard way....

    Go into Synaptic and remove the offending kernels. Hint: instead of
    plane "remove" or "Uninstall" use COMPLETE REMOVAL. This gets rid of all
    traces...

  7. Re: Clean up old kernels in ubuntu

    "devlin" wrote in message
    news:s3Z6k.43$Wr.12@trndny04...
    > Ignoramus17809 wrote:
    >> Old kernels seem to be accumulating instead of being phased out. So
    >> right now on my laptop I have i linux-image-2.6.24-12-generic - Linux
    >> kernel image for version 2.6.24 on x
    >> i linux-image-2.6.24-15-generic - Linux kernel image for version
    >> 2.6.24 on x
    >> i linux-image-2.6.24-16-generic - Linux kernel image for version
    >> 2.6.24 on x
    >> i linux-image-2.6.24-17-generic - Linux kernel image for version
    >> 2.6.24 on x
    >> i A linux-image-2.6.24-18-generic - Linux kernel image for version
    >> 2.6.24 on x
    >> i A linux-image-2.6.24-19-generic - Linux kernel image for version
    >> 2.6.24 on x
    >>
    >>
    >> which is way too much. Is there some way to clean them up so that I
    >> have only a couple of latest ones (and maybe the first one).
    >>

    >
    >
    > Geez you people do things the hard way....
    >
    > Go into Synaptic and remove the offending kernels. Hint: instead of plane
    > "remove" or "Uninstall" use COMPLETE REMOVAL. This gets rid of all
    > traces...


    Thanks for this information. I just used this method to remove all but the
    last two kernels and it worked fine. It was hard to find your post though
    with all the bull**** in this thread. I don't know why all these idiots
    reply to a post when they're not interested in answering the original
    question.

    Regards,
    John E. Golden

    ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

  8. Re: Clean up old kernels in ubuntu

    Jim Cochrane illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 2008-06-19, Moog wrote:
    >> Jim Cochrane illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>
    >>>
    >>> [Damn - I've killfiled Dan C, but I keep seeing his messages anyway
    >>> because people keep replying to him. Maybe I should just killfile
    >>> everybody ;-) ]

    >>
    >> I cannot believe that everyone killfiles him. His razor sharp whit and
    >> repartee make me smile.

    >
    > Well, for razor sharp wit, I prefer someone like Bill Maher. (You were
    > being facetious, no?)


    Rumbled.

    >> Sometimes people take things too personally. Dan C is hilarious. You
    >> just have to read between the lines.

    >
    > Personally, I don't take his posts personally - they're more like a
    > misquito - i.e., a nuisance. Wasted milliseconds on posts, to me, of
    > no value.


    I do find them funny. Maybe that's my warped sense of humour.

    >> I have a game I play. Count the DanC catchphrases in his posts. When
    >> he includes them all, I feel duty bound to voice my approval.

    >
    > Sounds like you've got a lot of time on your hands :-)


    Heh.

    --
    Moog

    “Are you going to come quietly, or do I have to use earplugs?”

  9. Re: Clean up old kernels in ubuntu

    On 2008-06-17, Dan C wrote:
    > On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 13:31:59 -0500, Ignoramus17809 wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-06-17, Dan C wrote:
    >>> On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 13:15:02 -0500, Ignoramus17809 wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Old kernels seem to be accumulating instead of being phased out. So
    >>>> right now on my laptop I have
    >>>>
    >>>> i linux-image-2.6.24-12-generic - Linux kernel image for version 2.6.24 on x
    >>>> i linux-image-2.6.24-15-generic - Linux kernel image for version 2.6.24 on x
    >>>> i linux-image-2.6.24-16-generic - Linux kernel image for version 2.6.24 on x
    >>>> i linux-image-2.6.24-17-generic - Linux kernel image for version 2.6.24 on x
    >>>> i A linux-image-2.6.24-18-generic - Linux kernel image for version 2.6.24 on x
    >>>> i A linux-image-2.6.24-19-generic - Linux kernel image for version 2.6.24 on x
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> which is way too much. Is there some way to clean them up so that I
    >>>> have only a couple of latest ones (and maybe the first one).
    >>>
    >>> You've never heard of the "rm" command?
    >>>

    >>
    >> I have heard about it.

    >
    > OK, well that's a good clue for you to pursue.
    >
    >


    'apt-get remove linux-image-[insert.version.number]-generic'
    is the way I do it.



    --
    "...Amusing, yet not without a certain understated omniscience."
    -- Eric Tiberius Duckman

  10. Re: Clean up old kernels in ubuntu

    On 2008-06-21, Eric T Duckman wrote:
    >>>> You've never heard of the "rm" command?


    >>> I have heard about it.


    >> OK, well that's a good clue for you to pursue.


    > 'apt-get remove linux-image-[insert.version.number]-generic'
    > is the way I do it.


    That's for sissies.

    You don't learn anything about Linux by doing things that way. In fact,
    with that attitude towards things, you never will.




    --
    "Ubuntu" - an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".

  11. Re: Clean up old kernels in ubuntu

    On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 14:28:41 -0500, John F. Morse wrote:

    > It's easier to just ignore you instead of trying to teach you something.
    > You obviously have little understanding of tongue-in-cheek comments.


    His understanding is very similar to your own knowledge of how to
    configure a signature block correctly, to comply with accepted Usenet
    standards.

    What's even harder to understand is why you haven't fixed it, after being
    told numerous times of your error. Blind stubbornness seems to be the
    only reason that makes sense. Not good Usenet citizenship, by any measure.



    --
    "Bother!" said Pooh, as Christopher Robin pleaded to be spanked again.


  12. Re: Clean up old kernels in ubuntu

    "Dan C" wrote in message
    newsan.2008.06.17.18.38.53.920486@moria2.lan...
    > On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 13:31:59 -0500, Ignoramus17809 wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-06-17, Dan C wrote:
    >>> On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 13:15:02 -0500, Ignoramus17809 wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Old kernels seem to be accumulating instead of being phased out. So
    >>>> right now on my laptop I have
    >>>>
    >>>> i linux-image-2.6.24-12-generic - Linux kernel image for version
    >>>> 2.6.24 on x
    >>>> i linux-image-2.6.24-15-generic - Linux kernel image for version
    >>>> 2.6.24 on x
    >>>> i linux-image-2.6.24-16-generic - Linux kernel image for version
    >>>> 2.6.24 on x
    >>>> i linux-image-2.6.24-17-generic - Linux kernel image for version
    >>>> 2.6.24 on x
    >>>> i A linux-image-2.6.24-18-generic - Linux kernel image for version
    >>>> 2.6.24 on x
    >>>> i A linux-image-2.6.24-19-generic - Linux kernel image for version
    >>>> 2.6.24 on x
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> which is way too much. Is there some way to clean them up so that I
    >>>> have only a couple of latest ones (and maybe the first one).
    >>>
    >>> You've never heard of the "rm" command?
    >>>

    >>
    >> I have heard about it.

    >
    > OK, well that's a good clue for you to pursue.


    Why don't you go back to the Slackware group. You certainly aren't helping
    anyone here.

    ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

  13. Re: Clean up old kernels in ubuntu

    "Dan C" wrote in message
    newsan.2008.06.18.17.21.21.916400@moria2.lan...
    > On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 18:41:51 +0200, Mark Madsen wrote:
    >
    >>> giving too broad of a credit in the savvy department and I probably
    >>> should realize that some n00bs actually read this group.

    >
    >> There are newbies who write in this group too....

    >
    > Yup, and "Meat Plow" is a prime example of that.


    Why don't you go back to the Slackware group. You certainly aren't helping
    anyone here.

    ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

  14. Re: Clean up old kernels in ubuntu

    "Dan C" wrote in message
    newsan.2008.06.18.01.47.52.95630@moria2.lan...
    > On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 22:18:51 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >
    >>>> No problem. It beats the hell out of b0rking the klack out of your
    >>>> menu.list using nano from within single user mode. ;-)

    >
    >>> Nano? Weak!

    >
    >> I do use vim, but is it installed by default? I mentioned Nano for the
    >> benefit of the n00bs. ;-)

    >
    > You're the n00b, if you think editing menu.lst with nano (or with vi) is
    > something hard or scary.
    >
    > Ooooohhhh! Using a text editor??? Oh my! That's too complicated!
    >
    > LOL. n00b.


    Why don't you go back to the Slackware group. You certainly aren't helping
    anyone here.

    ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

  15. Re: Clean up old kernels in ubuntu

    "Dan C" wrote in message
    news:slrng5r6am.24v.youmustbejoking@bree.lan...
    > On 2008-06-21, Eric T Duckman wrote:
    >>>>> You've never heard of the "rm" command?

    >
    >>>> I have heard about it.

    >
    >>> OK, well that's a good clue for you to pursue.

    >
    >> 'apt-get remove linux-image-[insert.version.number]-generic'
    >> is the way I do it.

    >
    > That's for sissies.
    >
    > You don't learn anything about Linux by doing things that way. In fact,
    > with that attitude towards things, you never will.
    > --
    > "Ubuntu" - an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".


    Why don't you go back to the Slackware group. You certainly aren't helping
    anyone here.

    ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

  16. Re: Clean up old kernels in ubuntu

    On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 23:25:44 -0500, John F. Morse wrote:

    >> His understanding is very similar to your own knowledge of how to
    >> configure a signature block correctly, to comply with accepted Usenet
    >> standards.
    >>
    >> What's even harder to understand is why you haven't fixed it, after being
    >> told numerous times of your error. Blind stubbornness seems to be the
    >> only reason that makes sense. Not good Usenet citizenship, by any measure.


    > Maybe it is you who can't understand something, Dan.


    Nope, I understand just fine.

    > For instance, I am not a citizen of Usenet. That is obviously your error.


    Yes, you are. You're using Usenet, and that's what my comment was aimed
    at, as you well knew.

    > I know how to configure a sig block, but you obviously do not know
    > enough about your news reader to either:
    >
    > 1. Scroll over to read the whole signature.
    > 2. Read it once and remember it.
    > 3. Quit net nannying and move on to something more productive.


    It's got nothing to do with my newsreader, n00b. Your signature block
    does not comply with accepted Usenet standards. Simple as that.

    > Therefore I have decided to modify my sig block.
    > I hope it makes you happy. It should satisfy your complaints.


    All you're doing here is showing your n00b-ness, and that you are clueless.

    > If not, I certainly can post it in HTML on the reply to your next
    > mouthing off.


    OK, go ahead.

    > And if that isn't good enough for you, then I'll create a PDF and insert
    > it.


    Sounds good. Do that.

    > Now, booger off, n00b.


    Heh. Idiots say the damnedest things sometimes.

    You are doing a good job at making yourself appear a fool. In fact you
    are right up there with "CBFalconer" in the lamer/luser category. Pitiful.



    --
    "Bother!" said Pooh, as the condom ripped.


  17. Re: Clean up old kernels in ubuntu

    Dan C wrote:
    > On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 23:25:44 -0500, John F. Morse wrote:
    >
    >
    >> Now, booger off, n00b.
    >>

    >
    > Heh. Idiots say the damnedest things sometimes.



    Yes, you certainly do very often, Dan. Thanks for proving my point.


    > You are doing a good job at making yourself appear a fool. In fact you
    > are right up there with "CBFalconer" in the lamer/luser category. Pitiful.
    >



    You only wish you had half the brains Chuck has. You certainly are
    pitiful, but you won't change, being the lamer/luser you demonstrate.

    My only error was failing to plonk you when I started accessing this
    group from a different news server that didn't yet have you plonked.

    Bye, lamer/luser.


    --
    John

    No Microsoft, Apple, Intel, Novell, Trend Micro, nor Ford products were used in the preparation or transmission of this message.

    The EULA sounds like it was written by a team of lawyers who want to tell me what I can't do. The GPL sounds like it was written by a human being, who wants me to know what I can do.

  18. Re: Clean up old kernels in ubuntu

    On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 00:50:14 -0400, John E. Golden wrote:

    > "Dan C" wrote in message
    > newsan.2008.06.18.17.21.21.916400@moria2.lan...
    >> On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 18:41:51 +0200, Mark Madsen wrote:
    >>
    >>>> giving too broad of a credit in the savvy department and I probably
    >>>> should realize that some n00bs actually read this group.

    >>
    >>> There are newbies who write in this group too....

    >>
    >> Yup, and "Meat Plow" is a prime example of that.

    >
    > Why don't you go back to the Slackware group. You certainly aren't
    > helping anyone here.
    >
    > ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **


    And you are?

    --
    Neil
    reverse ra and delete l
    Linux user 335851

  19. Re: Clean up old kernels in ubuntu

    On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 00:50:14 -0400, John E. Golden wrote:

    [snip repeated rant]

    John, there's one way to improve the signal to noise ratio, you are doing
    the opposite.

    --
    trevor@leoben:~$ telnet mordor
    telnet: could not resolve mordor/telnet: One does not simply telnet into mordor!



  20. Re: Clean up old kernels in ubuntu

    On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 00:49:45 -0400, John E. Golden wrote:

    >>>> You've never heard of the "rm" command?


    >>> I have heard about it.


    >> OK, well that's a good clue for you to pursue.


    > Why don't you go back to the Slackware group. You certainly aren't helping
    > anyone here.


    The guy was asking how to delete some files. I asked him if he'd heard of
    the "rm" command (above). How is that "not helping" him?

    **** off, n00b.


    --
    "Bother!" said Pooh, as Rabbit pushed him off the speeding train.


+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast