iTune equivalent software on Linux? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on iTune equivalent software on Linux? - Ubuntu ; I'm looking for a software which can sync my mp3 files with Nano3. I've tried a lot third party softwares on Linux, but none of them works for None3, or maybe I didn't do it in the right way? It's ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

  1. iTune equivalent software on Linux?

    I'm looking for a software which can sync my mp3 files with Nano3. I've tried a
    lot third party softwares on Linux, but none of them works for None3, or maybe
    I didn't do it in the right way?

    It's annoying, because that's the only reason I have to kept a windows
    partation.

    Any recommends?

    Thanks

  2. Re: iTune equivalent software on Linux?

    pirata wrote:
    > I'm looking for a software which can sync my mp3 files with Nano3. I've tried a

    What the hell is Nano3?

    > lot third party softwares on Linux, but none of them works for None3, or maybe

    Now it's a None3?

    > I didn't do it in the right way?

    I'm certain you didn't.

    > It's annoying, because that's the only reason I have to kept a windows
    > partation.

    I bet it's annoying. But then again, so is reading your post. You
    provide Zero information, like what kind of player you have. *What* have
    you tried, exactly. What apps have you tried, and how they failed. Etc,
    etc. etc.

    > Any recommends?

    Stick with Windows, or make a bit more sense.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  3. Re: iTune equivalent software on Linux?

    On 2008-06-17, johnny bobby bee wrote:
    > pirata wrote:
    >> I'm looking for a software which can sync my mp3 files with Nano3.

    I've tried a

    > What the hell is Nano3?
    >
    >> lot third party softwares on Linux, but none of them works for None3,

    or maybe

    > Now it's a None3?
    >
    >> I didn't do it in the right way?

    > I'm certain you didn't.
    >
    >> It's annoying, because that's the only reason I have to kept a windows
    >> partation.

    > I bet it's annoying. But then again, so is reading your post. You
    > provide Zero information, like what kind of player you have. *What* have
    > you tried, exactly. What apps have you tried, and how they failed. Etc,
    > etc. etc.
    >
    >> Any recommends?

    > Stick with Windows, or make a bit more sense.

    What he says.

    But you might want to try Amarok or Rhythmbox (loosely based on
    iTunes). They both play nice with iPods, which i guess a Nano/None3
    is.

    And fix your line wrapping...

    --
    Alle grote zangers zen allemaal homofiel.
    En die heteroseksuelen leren best nen andere stiel.

  4. Re: iTune equivalent software on Linux?

    "TomB" wrote in message
    > On 2008-06-17, johnny bobby bee wrote:
    >> pirata wrote:
    >>> I'm looking for a software which can sync my mp3 files with Nano3.

    > I've tried a
    >>
    >> What the hell is Nano3?
    >>
    >>> lot third party softwares on Linux, but none of them works for None3,

    > or maybe
    >>
    >> Now it's a None3?
    >>
    >>> I didn't do it in the right way?

    >> I'm certain you didn't.
    >>
    >>> It's annoying, because that's the only reason I have to kept a windows
    >>> partation.

    >> I bet it's annoying. But then again, so is reading your post. You
    >> provide Zero information, like what kind of player you have. *What* have
    >> you tried, exactly. What apps have you tried, and how they failed. Etc,
    >> etc. etc.
    >>
    >>> Any recommends?

    >> Stick with Windows, or make a bit more sense.
    >>

    > What he says.
    >
    > But you might want to try Amarok or Rhythmbox (loosely based on
    > iTunes). They both play nice with iPods, which i guess a Nano/None3
    > is.
    >
    > And fix your line wrapping...

    lolz
    Look in the repositories via synaptic, an ipod search should hit something.

  5. Re: iTune equivalent software on Linux?

    TomB wrote:
    > And fix your line wrapping...

    I don't see anything wrong with his line lengths. He is sending data --
    intelligence.

    If you want his data displayed in some way that only you can see, then
    you should adjust it at your end. Then his data will appear like some
    word processor output or a page layout program output, just as you like it.

    Otherwise you might want to "upgrade" your teletypewriter-era newsreader
    which can't handle a line longer than 80 characters. Or can it, but you
    don't know how to option it?

    No point clearing off the cars from the Interstates when you like riding
    horses, eh?

    You are free to choose which newsreader you prefer to use. Slrn is a
    good one, but you have no right whatsoever to try and force the world to
    bend to your likes and dislikes.

    You are also free to reply and even flame if you so choose, but I, like
    everybody else, am also free to form a lasting opinion.

    --
    John

  6. Re: iTune equivalent software on Linux?

    On 2008-06-17, John F. Morse wrote:
    > TomB wrote:
    >> And fix your line wrapping...

    > I don't see anything wrong with his line lengths. He is sending data --
    > intelligence.

    He caps at 80 chars, so even at the first quote of his message the
    text will be broken for a *lot* of usenet users.

    > Otherwise you might want to "upgrade" your teletypewriter-era newsreader
    > which can't handle a line longer than 80 characters. Or can it, but you
    > don't know how to option it?

    I just *upgraded* from pan to slrn, thank you ;-)

    And of course I could set my terminal at a width of more than 80
    chars, but that isn't the point.

    > No point clearing off the cars from the Interstates when you like riding
    > horses, eh?

    It will be my new mission in life from now on!

    > You are free to choose which newsreader you prefer to use. Slrn is a
    > good one, but you have no right whatsoever to try and force the world to
    > bend to your likes and dislikes.

    Of course not. But wrapping at 72 chars is a generally accepted rule
    on usenet. I'm just suggesting - in a not so polite manner I now
    realize - to the OP to comply to it. He doesn't *have* to of course.

    > You are also free to reply and even flame if you so choose, but I, like
    > everybody else, am also free to form a lasting opinion.

    Absolutely. No offence taken. I'm a big boy.

    --
    If The Flintstones has taught us anything, it's that pelicans
    can be used to mix cement.

  7. Re: iTune equivalent software on Linux?

    On Tuesday 17 Jun 2008 07:34 pirata licked a pencil and jotted:

    > I'm looking for a software which can sync my mp3 files with Nano3. I've
    > tried a lot third party softwares on Linux, but none of them works for
    > None3, or maybe I didn't do it in the right way?
    >
    > It's annoying, because that's the only reason I have to kept a windows
    > partation.
    >
    > Any recommends?
    >
    > Thanks

    As someone who avoids proprietary formats such iPod like the plague I am
    probably not best placed to give recommendations as to how to manage one of
    the over-priced, over-blown, unnecessarily complicated bits of ridiculous
    crappy eye-candy. However...

    As someone else has suggested, fire up Synaptic and search for "ipod" in
    titles and descriptions. I suspect " I've tried a lot third party softwares
    on Linux" could be part of the reason for your woes.

    First example:

    "manage songs and playlists on an Apple iPod
    gtkpod is a platform independent GUI for Apple's iPod using GTK2. It
    allows you to upload songs and playlists to your iPod. It supports ID3
    tag editing, multiple charsets for ID3 tags, detects duplicate songs,
    allows offline modification of the database with later synchronisation,
    and more."

    There are many others - 38 packages listed for that search.

    I use Amarok as my main music player on the PC and that seamlessly
    integrates with my bog standard mp3 player if want it to (much easier to
    just plug it in and drag and drop files onto it in Konqueror I find. In the
    same configuration section that has "generic mp3 player" there is, among
    other things, the option for iPod device.

    I will say it more politely than one or two here who seem to take pride in
    being obnoxious, but a little more information on what apps you have tried
    and what specific problems each cause would probably get you more useful
    answers.

    David

    --
    Knowledge is of two kinds: we know a subject ourselves, or we know where we
    can find information upon it. (Samuel Johnson)

  8. Re: iTune equivalent software on Linux?

    TomB wrote:
    > On 2008-06-17, John F. Morse wrote:
    >
    >> TomB wrote:
    >>
    >>> And fix your line wrapping...
    >>>

    >> I don't see anything wrong with his line lengths. He is sending data --
    >> intelligence.
    >>

    > He caps at 80 chars, so even at the first quote of his message the
    > text will be broken for a *lot* of usenet users.

    A "lot"? On what factual computation do you base that "opinion"?

    The vast majority of Usenet readers use Outoluck Eggspress or some
    Mozilla reader.

    Slrn is probably near the bottom of the list, maybe outnumbering tin,
    nn, rn, ....

    It would be nice if they all played equally -- or would it?

    You and I prefer GNU/Linux, not Windows. But there are more of "them"
    for the obvious reason (forced preloaded Windows on OEM PCs).

    >> Otherwise you might want to "upgrade" your teletypewriter-era newsreader
    >> which can't handle a line longer than 80 characters. Or can it, but you
    >> don't know how to option it?
    >>

    > I just *upgraded* from pan to slrn, thank you ;-)
    >
    > And of course I could set my terminal at a width of more than 80
    > chars, but that isn't the point.

    Well, some would say your "upgrade" is a "downgrade." I'm sure slrn is
    technically a better news client, but Pan has some featured that slrn
    doesn't. Same goes for Mozilla products, but they also have some hated
    issues.

    You can't maintain your home with only a screwdriver. You will also need
    a hammer, pliers, wrenches, saws, .... Band-Aids....

    It is a different strokes for different folks dilemma. You use what you
    prefer, but abstain from trying to force others to follow your preferences.

    You can lead and maybe pick up followers, but pushing usually causes
    buckling.

    People are like individual links in a civilization chain. You can
    certainly pull a chain down your street, but try pushing it! ;-)

    >> No point clearing off the cars from the Interstates when you like riding
    >> horses, eh?
    >>

    > It will be my new mission in life from now on!

    Good luck! Maybe the fuel crisis will help?

    There was a blurb in my morning online newspaper about someone riding a
    horse to work. That will stop when Big Oil decides oats work as good as
    corn for making fuel.

    When they take away the barley, you'll hear the masses! ;-)

    >> You are free to choose which newsreader you prefer to use. Slrn is a
    >> good one, but you have no right whatsoever to try and force the world to
    >> bend to your likes and dislikes.
    >>

    > Of course not. But wrapping at 72 chars is a generally accepted rule
    > on usenet. I'm just suggesting - in a not so polite manner I now
    > realize - to the OP to comply to it. He doesn't *have* to of course.

    It is NOT a "rule" Tom, and it never was. It was just a "suggestion"
    that made a lot of sense back in the days when Usenet users all used
    printing (hardcopy) teletypewriter machines. They were limited to 80 or
    132 columns, and lines longer than that created a big glob at the end
    (unless the line printer was smart and could auto-wrap at column so-and-so).

    This is 2008, and in the past THIRTY years, we've had smart CRT
    terminals that could take care of longer lines, images, etc.

    >> You are also free to reply and even flame if you so choose, but I, like
    >> everybody else, am also free to form a lasting opinion.
    >>

    > Absolutely. No offence taken. I'm a big boy.

    Thank you for understanding and being considerate.

    I hope you see the other side of the issue here as I've glossed over above.

    I use slrn too at times, but it is not my usual newsreader for several
    reasons. I'm not knocking slrn in any way, just like I wouldn't suggest
    all horses be ground up into dog food or Elmer's glue.

    I know that when I use slrn, I will expect some issues, and I just
    overlook them. Life is certainly easier that way. ;-)

    --
    John

  9. Re: iTune equivalent software on Linux?

    On 2008-06-17, John F. Morse wrote:
    > TomB wrote:

    >> He caps at 80 chars, so even at the first quote of his message the
    >> text will be broken for a *lot* of usenet users.

    > A "lot"? On what factual computation do you base that "opinion"?
    > The vast majority of Usenet readers use Outoluck Eggspress or some
    > Mozilla reader.
    > Slrn is probably near the bottom of the list, maybe outnumbering tin,
    > nn, rn, ....

    If even only 1000 people have slrn or some other terminal (pun
    slightly intended) as their main newsreader, I'd consider that a lot.
    And I guess that - unfortunately - you can add Gruegle Groups to your
    list of newsreaders used by the vast majority of Usenet readers...

    > It would be nice if they all played equally -- or would it?

    It would be a dream. Yet, on the other hand it's too nice knowing that
    you're using something elitist ;-)

    > You and I prefer GNU/Linux, not Windows. But there are more of "them"
    > for the obvious reason (forced preloaded Windows on OEM PCs).

    Their loss!

    >> I just *upgraded* from pan to slrn, thank you ;-)
    >>
    >> And of course I could set my terminal at a width of more than 80
    >> chars, but that isn't the point.

    > Well, some would say your "upgrade" is a "downgrade." I'm sure slrn is
    > technically a better news client, but Pan has some featured that slrn
    > doesn't. Same goes for Mozilla products, but they also have some hated
    > issues.

    For me, the main reason to use slrn - and lots of other console apps -
    is the fact that I can use it over ssh.

    > You can't maintain your home with only a screwdriver.

    You'd be surprised!

    >> Of course not. But wrapping at 72 chars is a generally accepted rule
    >> on usenet. I'm just suggesting - in a not so polite manner I now
    >> realize - to the OP to comply to it. He doesn't *have* to of course.

    > It is NOT a "rule" Tom, and it never was. It was just a "suggestion"
    > that made a lot of sense back in the days when Usenet users all used
    > printing (hardcopy) teletypewriter machines. They were limited to 80 or
    > 132 columns, and lines longer than that created a big glob at the end
    > (unless the line printer was smart and could auto-wrap at column so-and-so).

    That "suggestion" still makes a lot of sense today. Quoted messages just
    look awfull when they're not properly wrapped, and not only in text
    based clients.

    >> Absolutely. No offence taken. I'm a big boy.

    > Thank you for understanding and being considerate.
    >
    > I hope you see the other side of the issue here as I've glossed over above.

    Of course. And you're right that wrapping at 80 or less chars isn't an
    issue any more as much today as it once was, I still think it
    shouldn't be abandoned.

    --
    Hasta la vista, baby.
    ~ T-1000

  10. Re: iTune equivalent software on Linux?

    In alt.os.linux.ubuntu on Tue, 17 Jun 2008 13:55:59 -0500, John F.
    Morse wrote:

    > I know that when I use slrn, I will expect some issues, and I just
    > overlook them. Life is certainly easier that way. ;-)

    I'd rather you reported the issues, if they still exist in a recent
    version of slrn, i.e. pre0.9.9, not 0.9.8.1.

    Ubuntu packages for Gutsy and Hardy:

    Updated documentation:

    --
    PJR :-)

  11. Re: iTune equivalent software on Linux?

    In alt.os.linux.ubuntu on Tue, 17 Jun 2008 19:50:12 GMT, TomB
    wrote:

    > For me, the main reason to use slrn - and lots of other console apps -
    > is the fact that I can use it over ssh.

    However, there's something wrong with your wrapping of long lines of
    quoted text, which I can't reproduce in slrn. It may a text-editor
    issue. IIRC, you're using vim.

    I have this in my .slrnrc:

    set editor_command "vim -c %d %s"

    And this in my .vimrc:

    autocmd VimEnter .{article,letter,followup} set tw=70
    autocmd VimEnter .{followup,letter} if line('.') != 1 | normal gq${j

    Nothing else is necessary to write non-broken followups except
    attention to what appears on the screen.

    --
    PJR :-)

  12. Re: iTune equivalent software on Linux?

    Peter J Ross illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > In alt.os.linux.ubuntu on Tue, 17 Jun 2008 19:50:12 GMT, TomB
    > wrote:
    >
    >> For me, the main reason to use slrn - and lots of other console apps -
    >> is the fact that I can use it over ssh.

    > However, there's something wrong with your wrapping of long lines of
    > quoted text, which I can't reproduce in slrn. It may a text-editor
    > issue. IIRC, you're using vim.
    >
    > I have this in my .slrnrc:
    >
    > set editor_command "vim -c %d %s"
    >
    > And this in my .vimrc:
    >
    > autocmd VimEnter .{article,letter,followup} set tw=70
    > autocmd VimEnter .{followup,letter} if line('.') != 1 | normal gq${j
    >
    > Nothing else is necessary to write non-broken followups except
    > attention to what appears on the screen.

    Peter,

    What are the advantages (other then vim always wrapping at 70 - which
    I'm not so sure I'd like) with your method over

    (From my ~/.slrnrc)
    set editor_command "vim '+set tw=70' +%d '%s'"

    --
    Moog

    “Are you going to come quietly, or do I have to use earplugs?”

  13. Re: iTune equivalent software on Linux?

    In alt.os.linux.ubuntu on 17 Jun 2008 20:48:21 GMT, Moog
    wrote:

    > Peter J Ross illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >
    >> I have this in my .slrnrc:
    >>
    >> set editor_command "vim -c %d %s"
    >>
    >> And this in my .vimrc:
    >>
    >> autocmd VimEnter .{article,letter,followup} set tw=70
    >> autocmd VimEnter .{followup,letter} if line('.') != 1 | normal gq${j
    >>
    >> Nothing else is necessary to write non-broken followups except
    >> attention to what appears on the screen.

    > Peter,
    >
    > What are the advantages (other then vim always wrapping at 70 - which
    > I'm not so sure I'd like)

    With my configuration, vim does that only with files named .article,
    ..letter and .followup.

    > with your method over
    >
    > (From my ~/.slrnrc)
    > set editor_command "vim '+set tw=70' +%d '%s'"

    None at all, as far as I can see. I just prefer to put all my vim
    settings in my .vimrc file.

    In fact, I have all this stuff in my .vimrc, but I omitted what was
    obviously irrelevant to Tom's wrapping problem:

    #v+
    augroup usenet
    autocmd VimEnter .{article,letter,followup} set tw=70
    autocmd VimEnter .{article,letter,followup} set noai
    autocmd VimEnter .letter :2s/\(From: \).*/\1Peter J Ross /
    autocmd VimEnter .letter :6s/^Reply-To:.*\n//
    autocmd VimEnter .{followup,letter} if line('.') != 1 | normal gq${j
    autocmd VimEnter .followup :%s/\n\n>\n/\r\r/ge
    autocmd VimEnter .followup :%s/^>\n\(>\n\)\+/>\r/ge
    " autocmd VimEnter .followup :%s/\(^>*>\)\s\(>\)/\1\2/ge
    " autocmd VimEnter .followup :%s/\(^>>.*\n>\)\([^>]\)/\1>\2/ge
    " autocmd VimEnter .followup :%s/^>\n\n/\r/ge
    " autocmd VimEnter .followup :%s/^\(>*>>\)\(\w\)/\1 \2/ge
    " autocmd VimEnter .followup %s/^\(> .*\n>\)>\(\n\)/\1\2/ge
    " autocmd VimEnter .followup :norm 9G
    augroup END
    #v-

    The stuff that's commented out was experimental and may not work. I
    can't even remember what some of it was meant to do, but the general
    idea was to fix other people's bad formatting when replying to Usenet
    posts.

    --
    PJR :-)

  14. Re: iTune equivalent software on Linux?

    On 2008-06-17, Peter J Ross wrote:

    > However, there's something wrong with your wrapping of long lines of
    > quoted text, which I can't reproduce in slrn. It may a text-editor
    > issue. IIRC, you're using vim.

    Oh my, so the problem is originating from my side you think? Will
    investigate! I'm still pretty much a slrn/vim novice :-p

    --
    I eat because I'm unhappy, I'm unhappy because I eat.
    ~ Fat Bastard

  15. Re: iTune equivalent software on Linux?

    Baldylocks-Ubuntu wrote:
    > I will say it more politely than one or two here who seem to take pride in
    > being obnoxious, but a little more information on what apps you have tried
    > and what specific problems each cause would probably get you more useful
    > answers.

    Sorry to have offended your delicate sensibilities, truly.

    Maybe you should post an FAQ for newbies. You know, things like, lurk
    for awhile, provide lots of information about your precise problem, tell
    us what you've done *exactly*, did you try Google, what were the errors,
    etc?

    We good? Cool?

    --Benjamin Franklin

  16. Re: iTune equivalent software on Linux?

    Peter J Ross illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > In alt.os.linux.ubuntu on 17 Jun 2008 20:48:21 GMT, Moog
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Peter J Ross illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>
    >>> I have this in my .slrnrc:
    >>>
    >>> set editor_command "vim -c %d %s"
    >>>
    >>> And this in my .vimrc:
    >>>
    >>> autocmd VimEnter .{article,letter,followup} set tw=70
    >>> autocmd VimEnter .{followup,letter} if line('.') != 1 | normal gq${j
    >>>
    >>> Nothing else is necessary to write non-broken followups except
    >>> attention to what appears on the screen.

    >> Peter,
    >>
    >> What are the advantages (other then vim always wrapping at 70 - which
    >> I'm not so sure I'd like)

    Yeah. So it does. That'll teach me to "skim read"

    > With my configuration, vim does that only with files named .article,
    > .letter and .followup.
    >
    >> with your method over
    >>
    >> (From my ~/.slrnrc)
    >> set editor_command "vim '+set tw=70' +%d '%s'"

    > None at all, as far as I can see. I just prefer to put all my vim
    > settings in my .vimrc file.
    >
    > In fact, I have all this stuff in my .vimrc, but I omitted what was
    > obviously irrelevant to Tom's wrapping problem:
    >
    > #v+
    > augroup usenet
    > autocmd VimEnter .{article,letter,followup} set tw=70
    > autocmd VimEnter .{article,letter,followup} set noai
    > autocmd VimEnter .letter :2s/\(From: \).*/\1Peter J Ross /
    > autocmd VimEnter .letter :6s/^Reply-To:.*\n//
    > autocmd VimEnter .{followup,letter} if line('.') != 1 | normal gq${j
    > autocmd VimEnter .followup :%s/\n\n>\n/\r\r/ge
    > autocmd VimEnter .followup :%s/^>\n\(>\n\)\+/>\r/ge
    > " autocmd VimEnter .followup :%s/\(^>*>\)\s\(>\)/\1\2/ge
    > " autocmd VimEnter .followup :%s/\(^>>.*\n>\)\([^>]\)/\1>\2/ge
    > " autocmd VimEnter .followup :%s/^>\n\n/\r/ge
    > " autocmd VimEnter .followup :%s/^\(>*>>\)\(\w\)/\1 \2/ge
    > " autocmd VimEnter .followup %s/^\(> .*\n>\)>\(\n\)/\1\2/ge
    > " autocmd VimEnter .followup :norm 9G
    > augroup END
    > #v-
    >
    > The stuff that's commented out was experimental and may not work. I
    > can't even remember what some of it was meant to do, but the general
    > idea was to fix other people's bad formatting when replying to Usenet
    > posts.

    Peter,

    Do you mind if I steal your method?

    --
    Moog

    “Are you going to come quietly, or do I have to use earplugs?”

  17. Re: iTune equivalent software on Linux?

    Peter J Ross wrote:
    > In alt.os.linux.ubuntu on Tue, 17 Jun 2008 13:55:59 -0500, John F.
    > Morse wrote:
    >
    >> I know that when I use slrn, I will expect some issues, and I just
    >> overlook them. Life is certainly easier that way. ;-)
    >>

    > I'd rather you reported the issues, if they still exist in a recent
    > version of slrn, i.e. pre0.9.9, not 0.9.8.1.
    >
    > Ubuntu packages for Gutsy and Hardy:
    >
    > Updated documentation:

    Thanks Peter.

    The "issues" may all be my not knowing slrn well enough to do something
    correctly. Certainly not "bugs" in slrn.

    For instance, I cannot read the text on a black background, especially
    reds and blues. It's an eyeball thing. I know this is configurable
    somewhere, and I've seen it, but haven't had the chance to investigate
    it and try it.

    The other items are, again, ignorance, like believing slrn cannot handle
    HTML, graphics (or other attachments). I can "presume" some helper
    application could be configured, but again, I haven't had the time to
    investigate it.

    I do frequent a few groups where people post jpgs, midis, etc. Plus I
    run my own INN server where I need some of the features in news readers
    that I am familiar with using (templates, moderator "approved" headers,
    etc.). Slrn is a text-based news reader, and I have nothing against
    using the CLI. I do most all of my work in a terminal, usually via ssh,
    but I believe newsgroups and the associated servers ("accounts") and the
    directories ("folders") are more efficiently navigated with a GUI.

    I don't know if or how slrn can archive messages. I've always used a
    Moz-type reader and e-mail client, and I know how to save messages for
    future reference. I don't like their mbox type files, preferring maildir
    with a separate file per message. But it's always give and take.

    I also use (at the last count) 15 different news servers, and I don't
    know if slrn can handle more than one. Or if it can, how much difficulty
    there is to switch amongst them at one sitting.

    I don't know if slrn can use multiple servers for downloading certain
    groups, like KLibido does (I think the beta Pan does this too, but I
    prefer and use 0.14.2.91), or if slrn would need to work on one server
    at a time.

    Like I said, I have nothing "against" slrn, and do consider it a good
    news reader. I'm just not that familiar with it beyond posting an
    occasional test message. In its current default installed configuration,
    it is not as useful as Thunderbird/Icedove or Pan, plus a few others
    when needed, like Claws Mail, Dialog (on Wine), etc.

    If you have time, I'd appreciate you replying (inline) about these
    thoughts and concerns. There's no better time to learn than the present!

    Oh, I forgot I'm in the middle of reconfiguring INN, actually Cleanfeed,
    to allow certain message types while blocking others. I had to put my
    configuration of a Postfix+Dovecot mail server on the back burner to
    work on the news server, but I plan on restarting that project later
    today. The mail server PC has been wasting electricity for the past 11
    days waiting on my return. I need to get it running so I can shut down
    the old SIMS box on a PowerMac, which has been running non-stop for the
    past ten years.

    But I will read, save and try anything you provide for slrn.

    I want to also thank Andrew for his valuable work.

    --
    John

  18. Re: iTune equivalent software on Linux?

    On 2008-06-17, John F. Morse wrote:
    > Peter J Ross wrote:
    > The other items are, again, ignorance, like believing slrn cannot handle
    > HTML, graphics (or other attachments). I can "presume" some helper
    > application could be configured, but again, I haven't had the time to
    > investigate it.

    Decoding attachements are possible by default. Just do # on the
    message(s) you wish to decode, and then hit :

    It will then decode the attachements into the dir you specified in
    your .slrnrc

    --
    In this life, it's not what you hope for, it's not what
    you deserve -- it's what you take.

  19. Re: iTune equivalent software on Linux?

    On 2008-06-17, John F. Morse wrote:
    > Peter J Ross wrote

    >> I'd rather you reported the issues, if they still exist in a recent
    >> version of slrn, i.e. pre0.9.9, not 0.9.8.1.

    Posting to check version in header.

    --
    John

  20. Re: iTune equivalent software on Linux?

    In alt.os.linux.ubuntu on 17 Jun 2008 21:59:14 GMT, Moog
    wrote:

    > Peter J Ross illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >
    >> In fact, I have all this stuff in my .vimrc, but I omitted what was
    >> obviously irrelevant to Tom's wrapping problem:
    >>
    >> #v+
    >> augroup usenet

    This wraps at 70 columns:
    >> autocmd VimEnter .{article,letter,followup} set tw=70

    This turns off the automatic indentention that I use for other files:
    >> autocmd VimEnter .{article,letter,followup} set noai

    The next two lines facilitate replying to Usenet posts by email, since
    my From: header is invalid:
    >> autocmd VimEnter .letter :2s/\(From: \).*/\1Peter J Ross /
    >> autocmd VimEnter .letter :6s/^Reply-To:.*\n//

    This wraps the attribution line if necessary:
    >> autocmd VimEnter .{followup,letter} if line('.') != 1 | normal gq${j

    The next few lines fix broken formatting, or they would if they worked
    reliably:
    >> autocmd VimEnter .followup :%s/\n\n>\n/\r\r/ge
    >> autocmd VimEnter .followup :%s/^>\n\(>\n\)\+/>\r/ge
    >> " autocmd VimEnter .followup :%s/\(^>*>\)\s\(>\)/\1\2/ge
    >> " autocmd VimEnter .followup :%s/\(^>>.*\n>\)\([^>]\)/\1>\2/ge
    >> " autocmd VimEnter .followup :%s/^>\n\n/\r/ge
    >> " autocmd VimEnter .followup :%s/^\(>*>>\)\(\w\)/\1 \2/ge
    >> " autocmd VimEnter .followup %s/^\(> .*\n>\)>\(\n\)/\1\2/ge

    WTF does this next bit do? I've forgotten.
    >> " autocmd VimEnter .followup :norm 9G
    >> augroup END
    >> #v-
    >>
    >> The stuff that's commented out was experimental and may not work. I
    >> can't even remember what some of it was meant to do, but the general
    >> idea was to fix other people's bad formatting when replying to Usenet
    >> posts.

    > Peter,
    >
    > Do you mind if I steal your method?

    Help yourself to any bits of my .vimrc that you find useful. I've
    added some comments above.

    --
    PJR :-)

+ Reply to Thread