iTune equivalent software on Linux? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on iTune equivalent software on Linux? - Ubuntu ; In alt.os.linux.ubuntu on Tue, 17 Jun 2008 17:06:32 -0500, John F. Morse wrote: > Peter J Ross wrote: >> In alt.os.linux.ubuntu on Tue, 17 Jun 2008 13:55:59 -0500, John F. >> Morse wrote: >> >>> I know that when I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 26 of 26

  1. Re: iTune equivalent software on Linux?

    Morse wrote:

    > Peter J Ross wrote:
    >> In alt.os.linux.ubuntu on Tue, 17 Jun 2008 13:55:59 -0500, John F.
    >> Morse wrote:
    >>
    >>> I know that when I use slrn, I will expect some issues, and I just
    >>> overlook them. Life is certainly easier that way. ;-)
    >>>

    >> I'd rather you reported the issues, if they still exist in a recent
    >> version of slrn, i.e. pre0.9.9, not 0.9.8.1.
    >>
    >> Ubuntu packages for Gutsy and Hardy:
    >>
    >> Updated documentation:

    > Thanks Peter.
    >
    > The "issues" may all be my not knowing slrn well enough to do something
    > correctly. Certainly not "bugs" in slrn.
    >
    > For instance, I cannot read the text on a black background, especially
    > reds and blues. It's an eyeball thing. I know this is configurable
    > somewhere, and I've seen it, but haven't had the chance to investigate
    > it and try it.

    You need to use the "color" command in your .slrnrc.

    > The other items are, again, ignorance, like believing slrn cannot handle
    > HTML,

    You can configure slrn to open HTML messages with metamail or a
    similar external program, but I haven't experimented with this myself.

    > graphics (or other attachments).

    Binaries can be decoded, either with slrn's own methods or with
    external software. Handling of binaries is quite primitive: slrn is
    intentionally a mostly-text-only newsreader.

    > I can "presume" some helper
    > application could be configured, but again, I haven't had the time to
    > investigate it.

    You can use uudeview for decoding binaries:

    ./configure --with-uudeview

    Binary slrn packages tend to have this option turned off.

    > I do frequent a few groups where people post jpgs, midis, etc. Plus I
    > run my own INN server where I need some of the features in news readers
    > that I am familiar with using (templates, moderator "approved" headers,
    > etc.). Slrn is a text-based news reader, and I have nothing against
    > using the CLI. I do most all of my work in a terminal, usually via ssh,
    > but I believe newsgroups and the associated servers ("accounts") and the
    > directories ("folders") are more efficiently navigated with a GUI.

    slrn isn't a good tool for server administration.

    > I don't know if or how slrn can archive messages. I've always used a
    > Moz-type reader and e-mail client, and I know how to save messages for
    > future reference. I don't like their mbox type files, preferring maildir
    > with a separate file per message. But it's always give and take.

    slrn can certainly save articles, but the format is mbox.

    > I also use (at the last count) 15 different news servers, and I don't
    > know if slrn can handle more than one. Or if it can, how much difficulty
    > there is to switch amongst them at one sitting.
    >
    > I don't know if slrn can use multiple servers for downloading certain
    > groups, like KLibido does (I think the beta Pan does this too, but I
    > prefer and use 0.14.2.91), or if slrn would need to work on one server
    > at a time.

    You can quite easily use multiple servers separately, but you can't
    combine them.

    However, slrn works nicely with leafnode, INN etc.

    > Like I said, I have nothing "against" slrn, and do consider it a good
    > news reader. I'm just not that familiar with it beyond posting an
    > occasional test message. In its current default installed configuration,
    > it is not as useful as Thunderbird/Icedove or Pan, plus a few others
    > when needed, like Claws Mail, Dialog (on Wine), etc.
    >
    > If you have time, I'd appreciate you replying (inline) about these
    > thoughts and concerns. There's no better time to learn than the present!

    You'll probably get a more useful set of responses if you repeat your
    list of issues in news.software.readers.

    > Oh, I forgot I'm in the middle of reconfiguring INN, actually Cleanfeed,
    > to allow certain message types while blocking others. I had to put my
    > configuration of a Postfix+Dovecot mail server on the back burner to
    > work on the news server, but I plan on restarting that project later
    > today. The mail server PC has been wasting electricity for the past 11
    > days waiting on my return. I need to get it running so I can shut down
    > the old SIMS box on a PowerMac, which has been running non-stop for the
    > past ten years.
    >
    > But I will read, save and try anything you provide for slrn.

    I'm always delighted to try to help with slrn, and I'll elaborate on
    any of the above answers if necessary.

    > I want to also thank Andrew for his valuable work.

    Andrew's instructions for installing and configuring slrn are the best
    I've seen, and are rightly endorsed by John E Davis, the creator and
    maintainer of slrn:

    --
    PJR :-)

  2. Re: iTune equivalent software on Linux?

    In alt.os.linux.ubuntu on Tue, 17 Jun 2008 23:11:38 +0000 (UTC), John
    F. Morse wrote:

    > On 2008-06-17, John F. Morse wrote:
    >> Peter J Ross wrote

    >>> I'd rather you reported the issues, if they still exist in a recent
    >>> version of slrn, i.e. pre0.9.9, not 0.9.8.1.

    > Posting to check version in header.

    There are lots of bugs in that version. Try these Ubuntu packages:

    --
    PJR :-)

  3. Re: iTune equivalent software on Linux?

    Peter J Ross illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > Help yourself to any bits of my .vimrc that you find useful. I've
    > added some comments above.

    Appreciated. Thanks.

    --
    Moog

    “Are you going to come quietly, or do I have to use earplugs?”

  4. Re: iTune equivalent software on Linux?

    pirata wrote:
    > I'm looking for a software which can sync my mp3 files with Nano3. I've tried a
    > lot third party softwares on Linux, but none of them works for None3, or maybe
    > I didn't do it in the right way?
    >
    > It's annoying, because that's the only reason I have to kept a windows
    > partation.
    >
    > Any recommends?
    >
    > Thanks

    Banshee.

  5. Re: iTune equivalent software on Linux?

    On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 01:34:56 -0500, pirata wrote:

    > I'm looking for a software which can sync my mp3 files with Nano3. I've
    > tried a lot third party softwares on Linux, but none of them works for
    > None3, or maybe I didn't do it in the right way?
    >
    > It's annoying, because that's the only reason I have to kept a windows
    > partation.
    >
    > Any recommends?
    >
    > Thanks

    None. amarok is better then iTunes since it will allows you make direct
    modifications to your nano, but now automated sync.

    --
    Jerry Maguire: Help me... help you. Help me, help you. ;-)

  6. Re: iTune equivalent software on Linux?

    On 2008-06-20, Holz wrote:
    > On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 01:34:56 -0500, pirata wrote:
    >
    >> I'm looking for a software which can sync my mp3 files with Nano3. I've
    >> tried a lot third party softwares on Linux, but none of them works for
    >> None3, or maybe I didn't do it in the right way?
    >>
    >> It's annoying, because that's the only reason I have to kept a windows
    >> partation.
    >>
    >> Any recommends?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > None. amarok is better then iTunes since it will allows you make direct
    > modifications to your nano, but now automated sync.

    It's as close to automated as I'd want it to be... Right click on a
    playlist, and click on sync, then plug in your device and click
    transfer.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2