Cannot burn an iso with ubuntu - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Cannot burn an iso with ubuntu - Ubuntu ; The error that I get with K3b is: Cdrecord has no permission to open the device. Brasero does not work either. I can burn data and music cds but can't get the iso to burn. I have downloaded ubuntu 8.04 ...

  1. Cannot burn an iso with ubuntu

    The error that I get with K3b is: Cdrecord has no permission to open the
    device.

    Brasero does not work either.

    I can burn data and music cds but can't get the iso to burn.

    I have downloaded ubuntu 8.04 desktop twice so that I could install it
    into my laptop.
    Then I have to reboot to win2k on the machine that I downloaded it on in
    order to burn the disk.
    The first try, one of the files was corrupt and when loading files on
    install it stopped with the file error.
    The second disk would not boot at all.

    Very frustrating.

    Wendell

  2. Re: Cannot burn an iso with ubuntu

    Wendell wrote:
    > The error that I get with K3b is: Cdrecord has no permission to open the
    > device.
    >
    > Brasero does not work either.
    >
    > I can burn data and music cds but can't get the iso to burn.
    >
    > I have downloaded ubuntu 8.04 desktop twice so that I could install it
    > into my laptop.
    > Then I have to reboot to win2k on the machine that I downloaded it on in
    > order to burn the disk.
    > The first try, one of the files was corrupt and when loading files on
    > install it stopped with the file error.
    > The second disk would not boot at all.
    >
    > Very frustrating.
    >
    > Wendell

    What's the permissions on the .iso file? "ls -l"

  3. Re: Cannot burn an iso with ubuntu

    On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 12:43:52 +0100, Cork Soaker wrote:

    > Wendell wrote:
    >> The error that I get with K3b is: Cdrecord has no permission to open
    >> the device.
    >>
    >> Brasero does not work either.
    >>
    >> I can burn data and music cds but can't get the iso to burn.
    >>
    >> I have downloaded ubuntu 8.04 desktop twice so that I could install it
    >> into my laptop.
    >> Then I have to reboot to win2k on the machine that I downloaded it on
    >> in order to burn the disk.
    >> The first try, one of the files was corrupt and when loading files on
    >> install it stopped with the file error. The second disk would not boot
    >> at all.
    >>
    >> Very frustrating.
    >>
    >> Wendell

    > What's the permissions on the .iso file? "ls -l"

    -rw-r--r-- 1

    Wendell

  4. Re: Cannot burn an iso with ubuntu

    On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 10:47:14 +0000, Wendell wrote:

    > The error that I get with K3b is: Cdrecord has no permission to open the
    > device.
    >
    > Brasero does not work either.
    >
    > I can burn data and music cds but can't get the iso to burn.
    >
    > I have downloaded ubuntu 8.04 desktop twice so that I could install it
    > into my laptop.
    > Then I have to reboot to win2k on the machine that I downloaded it on in
    > order to burn the disk.
    > The first try, one of the files was corrupt and when loading files on
    > install it stopped with the file error. The second disk would not boot
    > at all.
    >
    > Very frustrating.
    >
    > Wendell

    One simple immediate work-around "sudo k3b".

  5. Re: Cannot burn an iso with ubuntu

    On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 10:47:14 +0000, Wendell wrote:

    > The error that I get with K3b is: Cdrecord has no permission to open the
    > device.
    >
    > Brasero does not work either.
    >
    > I can burn data and music cds but can't get the iso to burn.
    >
    > I have downloaded ubuntu 8.04 desktop twice so that I could install it
    > into my laptop.
    > Then I have to reboot to win2k on the machine that I downloaded it on in
    > order to burn the disk.
    > The first try, one of the files was corrupt and when loading files on
    > install it stopped with the file error. The second disk would not boot at
    > all.

    Make your user part of the disk group. Normally this does not have to be
    done except if you want read/write access to DV devices using raw1394. In
    your case it may or may not be an easy fix.

  6. Re: Cannot burn an iso with ubuntu

    On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 10:47:14 +0000, Wendell wrote:

    > The error that I get with K3b is: Cdrecord has no permission to open the
    > device.
    >
    > Brasero does not work either.
    >
    > I can burn data and music cds but can't get the iso to burn.
    >
    > I have downloaded ubuntu 8.04 desktop twice so that I could install it
    > into my laptop.
    > Then I have to reboot to win2k on the machine that I downloaded it on in
    > order to burn the disk.
    > The first try, one of the files was corrupt and when loading files on
    > install it stopped with the file error. The second disk would not boot
    > at all.
    >
    > Very frustrating.
    >
    > Wendell

    You should be able to burn an ISO by first installing a blank disk in the
    drive and then right clicking the ISO file and selecting burn ISO.

+ Reply to Thread