Steam / memory usage ? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Steam / memory usage ? - Ubuntu ; ....been having a dabble with xubuntu and while it's quite workmanlike (functional rather than pretty) it doesn't display any of the graphical flicker I was getting under 8.04 (i'd been trying to get it working right under 7.04 but was ...

  1. Steam / memory usage ?

    ....been having a dabble with xubuntu and while it's quite workmanlike
    (functional rather than pretty) it doesn't display any of the
    graphical flicker I was getting under 8.04 (i'd been trying to get it
    working right under 7.04 but was getting crashes due to audio issues)

    Anyway, back to the question :-}

    I noticed Steam was using over 85Mb earlier, that's without accounting
    for the additional 199Mb the Half-Life executable was using (got the
    memory usage from the system monitor)

    Can anyone tell me whether it normally takes up that much memory -
    seems rather excessive for what's essentially a jumped up front end
    launcher !

  2. Re: Steam / memory usage ?

    On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 00:41:34 +0100
    Colin Wilson
    wrote:

    > ...been having a dabble with xubuntu and while it's quite workmanlike
    > (functional rather than pretty) it doesn't display any of the
    > graphical flicker I was getting under 8.04 (i'd been trying to get it
    > working right under 7.04 but was getting crashes due to audio issues)
    >
    > Anyway, back to the question :-}
    >
    > I noticed Steam was using over 85Mb earlier, that's without accounting
    > for the additional 199Mb the Half-Life executable was using (got the
    > memory usage from the system monitor)
    >
    > Can anyone tell me whether it normally takes up that much memory -
    > seems rather excessive for what's essentially a jumped up front end
    > launcher !

    Given that you're running it under Wine, which provides a "fake windows
    environment", and Steam itself probably isn't free of bloat, I'd say
    that's rather "normal"...
    Most of the cruft is probably not used, and will be swapped to disk if
    you should run out of RAM...

    --
    Was ist ist, was nicht ist ist moeglich

  3. Re: Steam / memory usage ?

    > Given that you're running it under Wine, which provides a "fake windows
    > environment", and Steam itself probably isn't free of bloat, I'd say
    > that's rather "normal"...

    Ta, thought it was worth asking though :-}

+ Reply to Thread