IReinstalling 7.10 with /home and /var - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on IReinstalling 7.10 with /home and /var - Ubuntu ; I do not seem to be able to solve my missing workspace problems in Gnome. One more Google try and I give up. Therefore I'm looking at reinstalling. To make reinstalls easier in the future, how do I partition a ...

  1. IReinstalling 7.10 with /home and /var

    I do not seem to be able to solve my missing workspace problems in Gnome.
    One more Google try and I give up. Therefore I'm looking at reinstalling.

    To make reinstalls easier in the future, how do I partition a separate
    /home and /var so future reinstalls will not affect my settings. Or so I
    understand this will do. The original install did not make clear how this
    was done. How big should these partitions be. I have > 20G for the whole
    system.

    Can anyone explain in detail for an Ubuntu beginner or point me at a
    suitable web site? I've found some info in Google but so far it's over my
    head.

    TIA

    Ken

  2. Re: IReinstalling 7.10 with /home and /var

    Ken wrote:
    > I do not seem to be able to solve my missing workspace problems in Gnome.
    > One more Google try and I give up. Therefore I'm looking at reinstalling.
    >
    > To make reinstalls easier in the future, how do I partition a separate
    > /home and /var so future reinstalls will not affect my settings. Or so I
    > understand this will do. The original install did not make clear how this
    > was done. How big should these partitions be. I have > 20G for the whole
    > system.
    >
    > Can anyone explain in detail for an Ubuntu beginner or point me at a
    > suitable web site? I've found some info in Google but so far it's over my
    > head.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Ken

    Well, since you admit to being a beginner, I can take it you aren't
    running a mail or news server that requires a big spool in the /var
    directory.

    So, create a swap partition about twice the size as the amount of RAM
    you have.

    Create a root ("/") partition about 5 GB, which will be large enough for
    a long, long time.

    Then let /home have the rest of the drive, about 15 GB or whatever it shows.

    If and when you upgrade in the future, your (and your users') personal
    data and personal preferences will be safe in the /home partition
    directories.

    How to do it is on the Ubuntu site. Go there and search for partitioning.

    --
    John

  3. Re: IReinstalling 7.10 with /home and /var

    Ken wrote:
    > Can anyone explain in detail for an Ubuntu beginner or point me at a
    > suitable web site? I've found some info in Google but so far it's over my
    > head.

    In addition to what John said, these are pretty simple illustrations:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowtoPartition
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DiskSpace

    But you *could* do all this when you reinstall. Either way, you'll lose
    everything, so back up what you need.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  4. Re: IReinstalling 7.10 with /home and /var

    Ken wrote:
    > I do not seem to be able to solve my missing workspace problems in Gnome.
    > One more Google try and I give up. Therefore I'm looking at reinstalling.
    >
    > To make reinstalls easier in the future, how do I partition a separate
    > /home and /var so future reinstalls will not affect my settings. Or so I
    > understand this will do. The original install did not make clear how this
    > was done. How big should these partitions be. I have > 20G for the whole
    > system.
    >
    > Can anyone explain in detail for an Ubuntu beginner or point me at a
    > suitable web site? I've found some info in Google but so far it's over my
    > head.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Ken

    If you want to REINSTALL the system and discards everything, just follow
    the above way. If you want to keep your system, use GParted to shrink
    the / file system (e.g. sda1), create a new file system (e.g. sda2),
    move the files from sda1 to sda2, edit the /etc/fstab file to mount sda2
    at /home

+ Reply to Thread