News group blocking - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on News group blocking - Ubuntu ; I had received info from my ISP that only 8 Super Newsgroups will be available after 26Jun08. These do not include any alt. newsgroups. How will I be able to get my Ubuntu fix after this. Could the Ubuntu newsgroup ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38

  1. News group blocking

    I had received info from my ISP that only 8 Super Newsgroups will be
    available after 26Jun08. These do not include any alt. newsgroups. How
    will I be able to get my Ubuntu fix after this. Could the Ubuntu
    newsgroup shift over to comp. which is one of the allowed Super
    Newsgroups?

    Al

    Disgusted with the way the net is going!!!!!

  2. Re: News group blocking

    Al wrote:

    > I had received info from my ISP that only 8 Super Newsgroups will be
    > available after 26Jun08. These do not include any alt. newsgroups. How
    > will I be able to get my Ubuntu fix after this. Could the Ubuntu
    > newsgroup shift over to comp. which is one of the allowed Super
    > Newsgroups?
    >
    > Al
    >
    > Disgusted with the way the net is going!!!!!

    See:
    http://news.motzarella.org/

  3. Re: News group blocking

    On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 16:44:03 +0000, Al wrote:

    > I had received info from my ISP that only 8 Super Newsgroups will be
    > available after 26Jun08. These do not include any alt. newsgroups. How
    > will I be able to get my Ubuntu fix after this. Could the Ubuntu
    > newsgroup shift over to comp. which is one of the allowed Super
    > Newsgroups?
    >
    > Al
    >
    > Disgusted with the way the net is going!!!!!

    And here's why, in case you didn't know:

    How one states' AG can get this to be carried out nationwide and for it
    to be legal, is beyond me.

  4. Re: News group blocking

    In alt.os.linux.ubuntu on Sat, 14 Jun 2008 16:44:03 GMT, Al
    wrote:

    > I had received info from my ISP that only 8 Super Newsgroups will be
    > available after 26Jun08. These do not include any alt. newsgroups.

    The ignorance of most ISPs about Usenet would be surprising if it were
    anything new.

    > How
    > will I be able to get my Ubuntu fix after this.

    I use the free Motzarella server: . There
    are other good servers, some free, some cheap.

    > Could the Ubuntu
    > newsgroup shift over to comp. which is one of the allowed Super
    > Newsgroups?

    I'm probably not the only one here who's quite happy to stay in alt.*

    --
    PJR :-)

  5. Re: News group blocking

    On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 16:44:03 +0000, Al wrote:

    > I had received info from my ISP that only 8 Super Newsgroups will be
    > available after 26Jun08. These do not include any alt. newsgroups. How
    > will I be able to get my Ubuntu fix after this. Could the Ubuntu
    > newsgroup shift over to comp. which is one of the allowed Super
    > Newsgroups?
    >
    > Al
    >
    > Disgusted with the way the net is going!!!!!

    Tell your ISP that and vote with your feet.

    --
    Q: Want to lower petrol prices?
    A: Easy, just boycott BP & Esso

  6. Re: News group blocking

    Nico wrote:
    > On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 16:44:03 +0000, Al wrote:
    >
    >> I had received info from my ISP that only 8 Super Newsgroups will be
    >> available after 26Jun08. These do not include any alt. newsgroups. How
    >> will I be able to get my Ubuntu fix after this. Could the Ubuntu
    >> newsgroup shift over to comp. which is one of the allowed Super
    >> Newsgroups?
    >>
    >> Al
    >>
    >> Disgusted with the way the net is going!!!!!

    > And here's why, in case you didn't know:
    >

    > How one states' AG can get this to be carried out nationwide and for it
    > to be legal, is beyond me.

    That is fairly bloody appalling I must say!

  7. Re: News group blocking

    Trevor Best wrote:

    >> Disgusted with the way the net is going!!!!!

    > Tell your ISP that and vote with your feet.

    Feet?

  8. Re: News group blocking

    Cork Soaker wrote:

    >> How one states' AG can get this to be carried out nationwide and for
    >> it to be legal, is beyond me.

    > That is fairly bloody appalling I must say!

    why can't they just nuke alt.bin stuff. that'd surely make this AG happy
    about kiddy porn etc? and then leave the rest of the hierarchy intact.
    stupid politicians.

    bob

    --
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too
    dark to read. - Groucho Marx

  9. Re: News group blocking

    >>> How one states' AG can get this to be carried out nationwide and for
    >>> it to be legal, is beyond me.

    > why can't they just nuke alt.bin stuff. that'd surely make this AG happy
    > about kiddy porn etc? and then leave the rest of the hierarchy intact.
    > stupid politicians.

    I won't deny that politicians can be stupid,
    but the disadvantage to you and me is not the politician's fault.

    VERIZON is the one that decided it was too much work to give their
    New York customers a different configuration than the rest of us.

    And VERIZON is the one that decided alt.*
    was easier to drop than alt.bin.*

    --
    Wes Groleau

    What kind of smiley is C:\ ?

  10. Re: News group blocking

    Cork Soaker illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Trevor Best wrote:
    >
    >>> Disgusted with the way the net is going!!!!!

    >> Tell your ISP that and vote with your feet.
    >>

    > Feet?

    Yes. It's a common term. Walk away from them. Use an ISP that provides
    what you want.

    If Sprint (or whoever it is that are stopping the access to the alt.
    hierarchy) do not provide NNTP access (or limited
    nntp) then find either
    a) A dedicated provider such as news.individual, datemas, or motzarella
    b) An ISP that will provide you with *full* nntp access.

    Personally, I believe the dedicated servers are the best way (option
    a).

    I haven't used my ISP's usenet access for around 8 years. The
    dedicated ones are brilliant. The ISP's versions are generally
    second-rate, bolt-ons, that are an afterthought with poor retention
    rates and hit and miss access.

    --
    Moog

    “Are you going to come quietly, or do I have to use earplugs?”

  11. Re: News group blocking

    Wes Groleau illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >> why can't they just nuke alt.bin stuff. that'd surely make this AG happy
    >> about kiddy porn etc? and then leave the rest of the hierarchy intact.
    >> stupid politicians.

    > I won't deny that politicians can be stupid,
    > but the disadvantage to you and me is not the politician's fault.
    >
    > VERIZON is the one that decided it was too much work to give their
    > New York customers a different configuration than the rest of us.
    >
    > And VERIZON is the one that decided alt.*
    > was easier to drop than alt.bin.*

    To be fair to Verizon, at least they are still providing some sort of
    Usenet access. Many UK ISP's provide zero access.

    --
    Moog

    “Are you going to come quietly, or do I have to use earplugs?”

  12. Re: News group blocking

    On 2008-06-15, Moog wrote:
    > Cork Soaker illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> Tell your ISP that and vote with your feet.
    >>>

    >> Feet?

    > Yes. It's a common term. Walk away from them. Use an ISP that provides
    > what you want.
    >
    > If Sprint (or whoever it is that are stopping the access to the alt.
    > hierarchy) do not provide NNTP access (or limited
    > nntp) then find either
    > a) A dedicated provider such as news.individual, datemas, or motzarella
    > b) An ISP that will provide you with *full* nntp access.
    >
    > Personally, I believe the dedicated servers are the best way (option
    > a).

    I would have to agree here. Remember people that Internet is not controlled
    by anyone, each bit does as they see fit.

    In the GOD, Good Old Days, NNTP was supplied by ones ISP as no one else did
    it and also there was SFA (Sweet Fanny Adams) else and thus the ISp saw it
    as the thing which they needed to provide.

    To-day we have porn, sex , ads, ads, and yet more ads, not to menition the
    porn, or the web interface. So the NNTP has been picked up by some savy
    people who know what ASCII stands for. (American Standard Code for
    Information Interchange ).

    The Intenet is not fixed like some neo conservative. It is developing. As
    long as one can get what one desires them all is well.

    Adapt people.Get over it. Move with the times. Let it go.

  13. Re: News group blocking

    On 2008-06-14, Nico wrote:
    > On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 16:44:03 +0000, Al wrote:
    >
    >> I had received info from my ISP that only 8 Super Newsgroups will be
    >> available after 26Jun08. These do not include any alt. newsgroups. How
    >> will I be able to get my Ubuntu fix after this. Could the Ubuntu
    >> newsgroup shift over to comp. which is one of the allowed Super
    >> Newsgroups?
    >>
    >> Al
    >>
    >> Disgusted with the way the net is going!!!!!

    > And here's why, in case you didn't know:
    >

    > How one states' AG can get this to be carried out nationwide and for it
    > to be legal, is beyond me.

    "We are attacking this problem by working with Internet service providers
    to ensure they do not play host to this immoral business," Cuomo said
    in a statement released after a press conference in New York. "I call
    on all Internet service providers to follow their example and help deter
    the spread of online child porn."

    Looks to me like a clear case of violation of the first amendment of the
    constitution, especially when the result is shutting down access to
    sources that have no relation whatsoever to any kind of child
    exploitation. Pretty <....>ing stupid.

    Perhaps the EFF [http://www.eff.org/] will file a lawsuit.

    --

  14. Re: News group blocking

    bob from oz wrote:

    > Cork Soaker wrote:
    >>>

    >>> How one states' AG can get this to be carried out nationwide and for
    >>> it to be legal, is beyond me.

    >> That is fairly bloody appalling I must say!

    > why can't they just nuke alt.bin stuff. that'd surely make this AG happy
    > about kiddy porn etc? and then leave the rest of the hierarchy intact.
    > stupid politicians.

    When a politician is being "stupid" it's usually because they are hiding
    something, or doing something different than what they are saying. Look at
    what they do, don't listen to at what they say. What is the effect of
    dropping the "alt" group? That is what they *are* doing, That is probably
    what they want to do and we can assume that is the effect they want,
    regardless of what they say.

    --
    Peace,
    Fred

  15. Re: News group blocking

    On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 08:53:26 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > To be fair to Verizon, at least they are still providing some sort of
    > Usenet access. Many UK ISP's provide zero access.

    Easynet dropped theirs a few years ago. Due to lack of interest they say.
    Zen's is still going strong.

    --
    Q: Want to lower petrol prices?
    A: Easy, just boycott BP & Esso

  16. Re: News group blocking

    On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 11:10:08 +0200, Jim Cochrane wrote:

    > On 2008-06-14, Nico wrote:
    >> On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 16:44:03 +0000, Al wrote:
    >>
    >>> I had received info from my ISP that only 8 Super Newsgroups will be
    >>> available after 26Jun08. These do not include any alt. newsgroups. How
    >>> will I be able to get my Ubuntu fix after this. Could the Ubuntu
    >>> newsgroup shift over to comp. which is one of the allowed Super
    >>> Newsgroups?
    >>>
    >>> Al
    >>>
    >>> Disgusted with the way the net is going!!!!!

    >> And here's why, in case you didn't know:
    >>

    >> How one states' AG can get this to be carried out nationwide and for it
    >> to be legal, is beyond me.

    > "We are attacking this problem by working with Internet service
    > providers to ensure they do not play host to this immoral business,"
    > Cuomo said in a statement released after a press conference in New York.
    > "I call on all Internet service providers to follow their example and
    > help deter the spread of online child porn."
    >
    > Looks to me like a clear case of violation of the first amendment of the
    > constitution, especially when the result is shutting down access to
    > sources that have no relation whatsoever to any kind of child
    > exploitation. Pretty <....>ing stupid.
    >
    > Perhaps the EFF [http://www.eff.org/] will file a lawsuit.

    I'm making my first donations to the EFF and ACLU. This doesn't even
    directly affect me as I've had no usenet with my ISP since the get go and
    have been using a paid service. However, if they are starting here and
    set a precedent, it won't be long before they go after the pay servers
    and naturally they'll enlist the the RIAA and MPAA as well. Some
    enterprising individuals should set up decent servers in Norway or
    another country with similar laws where they can't be strong armed into
    this sort of BS.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm all for getting rid of the kiddie porn, but this
    is a obvious ruse. That AG in New York State has big political ambitions
    and this is just a feather in his cap giving him political capital for a
    later date.

  17. Re: News group blocking

    Wes Groleau wrote:

    >> why can't they just nuke alt.bin stuff. that'd surely make this AG
    >> happy about kiddy porn etc? and then leave the rest of the hierarchy
    >> intact. stupid politicians.

    > I won't deny that politicians can be stupid,
    > but the disadvantage to you and me is not the politician's fault.
    >
    > VERIZON is the one that decided it was too much work to give their
    > New York customers a different configuration than the rest of us.
    >
    > And VERIZON is the one that decided alt.*
    > was easier to drop than alt.bin.*

    How long before these idiots realise that alt.* aren't the only groups
    where binaries can be posted?
    Then, bye bye Verizon news servers.

  18. Re: News group blocking

    Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 08:53:26 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >
    >> To be fair to Verizon, at least they are still providing some sort of
    >> Usenet access. Many UK ISP's provide zero access.

    > Easynet dropped theirs a few years ago. Due to lack of interest they say.
    > Zen's is still going strong.

    Heh. "lack of interest".

    In other words, they had no interest in supplying it. ;-)

    --
    Moog

    “Are you going to come quietly, or do I have to use earplugs?”

  19. Re: News group blocking

    Nico wrote:

    > I'm making my first donations to the EFF and ACLU. This doesn't even
    > directly affect me as I've had no usenet with my ISP since the get go and
    > have been using a paid service. However, if they are starting here and
    > set a precedent, it won't be long before they go after the pay servers
    > and naturally they'll enlist the the RIAA and MPAA as well. Some
    > enterprising individuals should set up decent servers in Norway or
    > another country with similar laws where they can't be strong armed into
    > this sort of BS.
    > Don't get me wrong, I'm all for getting rid of the kiddie porn, but this
    > is a obvious ruse. That AG in New York State has big political ambitions
    > and this is just a feather in his cap giving him political capital for a
    > later date.

    I somehow suspect several ISPs may really be at the bottom of this AG's
    push.

    Perhaps they see it as a way to bail out of providing NNTP without
    appearing to be the guilty party?

    If they really wanted to furnish NNTP for their customers, they could
    simply Cleanfeed away the binaries. But that takes a desire -- and some
    brains.

    --
    John

  20. Re: News group blocking

    On Sat, 14 Jun 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.ubuntu, in article
    , Al wrote:

    >I had received info from my ISP that only 8 Super Newsgroups will be
    >available after 26Jun08. These do not include any alt. newsgroups.

    Except it's the Big Eight newsgroups - (comp.*, humanities.*, misc.*,
    news.*, rec.*, sci.*, soc.*, and talk.*). On the 15th of each month,
    there is a posting to the newsgroups news.announce.newgroups,
    news.groups, and news.lists.misc with the subject "List of Big Eight
    Newsgroups" which lists all 2290 groups. There are just 17 newsgroups
    with the word 'linux' in the name:

    [compton ~]$ zgrep linux big.8.list.06.15.08.gz | cut -f1 | column
    comp.os.linux.advocacy comp.os.linux.misc
    comp.os.linux.alpha comp.os.linux.networking
    comp.os.linux.announce comp.os.linux.portable
    comp.os.linux.answers comp.os.linux.powerpc
    comp.os.linux.development.apps comp.os.linux.security
    comp.os.linux.development.system comp.os.linux.setup
    comp.os.linux.embedded comp.os.linux.x
    comp.os.linux.hardware comp.os.linux.xbox
    comp.os.linux.m68k
    [compton ~]$

    Notice that there are no distribution specific newsgroups. You may
    find that your news server has additional (unsanctioned) groups in
    this hierarchy - the one I'm reading from carries 13 additional, though
    they tend to have poor distribution, and low readership.

    >How will I be able to get my Ubuntu fix after this.

    Several solutions. First, you can ****-can your incompetent ISP,
    as there are many better ones available. Second, you can use a more
    suitable news server - try http://blinkynet.net/comp/newfeed.html.
    Third, you can use the wonky web forums.

    >Could the Ubuntu newsgroup shift over to comp. which is one of the
    >allowed Super Newsgroups?

    HIGHLY unlikely - but what you want to read is another FAQ which is
    posted to the Usenet newsgroups news.announce.newgroups, news.groups,
    news.groups.proposals,and news.answers on the 1st and 15th of each
    month with the title "[FAQ] Creating and removing newsgroups in the
    Big-8 Hierarchies" (or point your browser at
    http://www.big-8.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=faqs:news_faq).

    >Disgusted with the way the net is going!!!!!

    The net is an enormous place - and some companies like the former
    Baby Bell phone companies are better off out of the Internet
    business which they never understood anyway. Some felt that Verizon,
    Time Warner. and Sprint intentionally ignored pr0n sources on their
    servers so that the New York AG looks like the bad guy (he's not,
    he's merely another self-serving politician who wishes to _appear_ to
    be doing something), and they get to dump the extra costs of
    running or contracting for a news server. That's why your best
    choice would be to get rid of the ISP and find another who can at
    least find a clue if they concentrate hard enough. Be sure to tell the
    phone-droid why you are leaving the incompetent idiots you have now.

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast