News group blocking - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on News group blocking - Ubuntu ; Gordon wrote: > The Intenet is not fixed like some neo conservative. It is developing. As > long as one can get what one desires them all is well. > > Adapt people.Get over it. Move with the times. Let ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 38 of 38

  1. Re: News group blocking

    Gordon wrote:

    > The Intenet is not fixed like some neo conservative. It is developing. As
    > long as one can get what one desires them all is well.
    >
    > Adapt people.Get over it. Move with the times. Let it go.

    Are you saying we should give up NNTP access?

  2. Re: News group blocking

    Cork Soaker wrote:
    > Gordon wrote:
    >
    >> The Intenet is not fixed like some neo conservative. It is
    >> developing. As
    >> long as one can get what one desires them all is well.
    >>
    >> Adapt people.Get over it. Move with the times. Let it go.

    > Are you saying we should give up NNTP access?

    Only if:

    1. You no longer care for it.

    2. It has been taken away from you.

    --
    John

  3. Re: News group blocking

    John F. Morse wrote:
    > Cork Soaker wrote:
    >> Gordon wrote:
    >>
    >>> The Intenet is not fixed like some neo conservative. It is
    >>> developing. As
    >>> long as one can get what one desires them all is well.
    >>>
    >>> Adapt people.Get over it. Move with the times. Let it go.

    >> Are you saying we should give up NNTP access?

    > Only if:
    >
    > 1. You no longer care for it.
    >
    > 2. It has been taken away from you.

    I see.

  4. Re: News group blocking

    Al wrote:
    > I had received info from my ISP that only 8 Super Newsgroups will be
    > available after 26Jun08. These do not include any alt. newsgroups. How
    > will I be able to get my Ubuntu fix after this. Could the Ubuntu
    > newsgroup shift over to comp. which is one of the allowed Super
    > Newsgroups?
    >
    > Al
    >
    > Disgusted with the way the net is going!!!!!

    Change your ISP.

  5. Re: News group blocking

    On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 14:25:08 +0800, Michael wrote:

    > Al wrote:
    >> I had received info from my ISP that only 8 Super Newsgroups will be
    >> available after 26Jun08. These do not include any alt. newsgroups. How
    >> will I be able to get my Ubuntu fix after this. Could the Ubuntu
    >> newsgroup shift over to comp. which is one of the allowed Super
    >> Newsgroups?
    >>
    >> Al
    >>
    >> Disgusted with the way the net is going!!!!!

    > Change your ISP.

    Easier said than done. They are all doing it here. I have three choices,
    Verizon, Comcast and RCN. And only Verizon offers DSL. The others are
    cable hookups which I don't have have nor need as the television is not
    needed. I get 27 free HDTV broadcasts over the air here.

    Al

  6. Re: News group blocking

    > I had received info from my ISP that only 8 Super Newsgroups will be
    > available after 26Jun08. These do not include any alt. newsgroups. How
    > will I be able to get my Ubuntu fix after this. Could the Ubuntu
    > newsgroup shift over to comp. which is one of the allowed Super
    > Newsgroups?
    >
    > Al
    >
    > Disgusted with the way the net is going!!!!!

    You mean full of off-topic spammers?

    --
    Fight Usenet Spam!!! - http://improve-usenet.org:80/

    Want a great newsgroup reader that will filter out the flood of
    newgroup spam?
    Try MesNews - http://www.mesnews.net/gb/

    If you want your posts to be seen, DON'T USE GOOGLE GROUPS!

  7. Re: News group blocking

    Calab wrote:
    >> I had received info from my ISP that only 8 Super Newsgroups will be
    >> available after 26Jun08. These do not include any alt. newsgroups. How
    >> will I be able to get my Ubuntu fix after this. Could the Ubuntu
    >> newsgroup shift over to comp. which is one of the allowed Super
    >> Newsgroups?
    >>
    >> Al
    >>
    >> Disgusted with the way the net is going!!!!!

    > You mean full of off-topic spammers?

    This isn't spamming but it is real. I use Comcast here in California,
    but they not only limit me to Comcast groups with things like COLA,
    Alt.binaries.wareze.linux, they have a 2GB per month limit after which I
    can't even send text mail. They don't even allow me to log on. So if I
    download a 2GB binary of something I would like to check out that is it
    for the month. Fortunately I have a friend who lets me use his SBcglobal
    DSL account on which he get 1.5 Mbps. I use multiple accounts across the
    country so I don't interfere with him. My big deal with the news
    limiting is that I download about 3GB of e-books.technical every single
    night, along with alt.binaries.picture.rail for the old steam locomotive
    pictures, which had the opportunity not only to watch but too ride on
    from 1948-1955 when they got killed off by diesels. Mostly there are a
    lot of porn jpg's on alt. but there is so much more. If the ISP's had
    any brains they would kill groups according to name 'alt.erotica' covers
    most of it and any other few groups that have 'erotica' in their names
    should be dropped. One IT guy with one afternoon could kill 90% or more
    of the bad groups.
    Or he could spend a day blocking stealth porn groups.
    If you haven't read my mind yet, I mean the provider's IT guy or group.

    Bill Baka

  8. Re: News group blocking

    On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 14:06:06 GMT, Al wrote:

    >On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 14:25:08 +0800, Michael wrote:
    >
    >> Al wrote:
    >>> I had received info from my ISP that only 8 Super Newsgroups will be
    >>> available after 26Jun08. These do not include any alt. newsgroups. How
    >>> will I be able to get my Ubuntu fix after this. Could the Ubuntu
    >>> newsgroup shift over to comp. which is one of the allowed Super
    >>> Newsgroups?
    >>>
    >>> Al
    >>>
    >>> Disgusted with the way the net is going!!!!!

    >> Change your ISP.

    >Easier said than done. They are all doing it here. I have three choices,
    >Verizon, Comcast and RCN. And only Verizon offers DSL. The others are
    >cable hookups which I don't have have nor need as the television is not
    >needed. I get 27 free HDTV broadcasts over the air here.
    >
    >Al

    Have you considered subscribing to "pay" services like Giganews?
    (http://www.giganews.com). Granted, there is a user fee, but not as
    many limitations as those which come bundled with ISPs.

    Talk about "limitations", I am a Time Warner subscriber and on Monday
    the 26th, they will stop offering newsgroups. So I had to subscribe to
    an external service. In my case, it was Giganews (other newsgroup
    services exist)

    ______________________

    The Traveller
    Carlsbad, California

  9. Re: News group blocking

    On Sat, 21 Jun 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.ubuntu, in article
    , Al wrote:

    >Michael wrote:

    >> Al wrote:

    >>> Disgusted with the way the net is going!!!!!

    >> Change your ISP.

    >Easier said than done. They are all doing it here. I have three choices,
    >Verizon, Comcast and RCN. And only Verizon offers DSL. The others are
    >cable hookups which I don't have have nor need as the television is not
    >needed.

    http://www.business.com/directory/in...ernet_service_
    providers_isp/isps_by_country/united_states/

    That's all one line. I make no guarantees, and have no preference.
    Your phone company (Verizon?) does the "last mile", but you are allowed
    to use any DSL provider for the actual connection. If Verizon gives
    you a ration of sh!t over this, request a _written_ response detailing
    why they won't provide the connectivity, then discuss the matter with
    your state 'Public Utilities Commission' (or equal - see the phone bills
    and look for the name of the state entity that oversees the rates,
    operation and such). I'm using QWorst for the last mile, and do so
    only because they "own" the wires. I'd never consider using them for an
    ISP, much less recommending them to others.

    >I get 27 free HDTV broadcasts over the air here.

    So instead of 200 channels with nothing worth watching, you have 27
    channels of nothing worth watching but it's in high definition.

    Old guy

  10. Re: News group blocking

    In Moe Trin:

    [Snip...]

    > So instead of 200 channels with nothing worth watching, you have 27
    > channels of nothing worth watching but it's in high definition.

    That's basically what I told the Radio Shack guy when he told me I needed
    an EXPENSIVE OUTDOOR ANTENNA to get useful broadcast digital TV signals.

    I politely declined, bought some canned air, and left the store pronto.

    If it's not clear: US broadcast TV can kiss my ass come February 2009.

    I toss GoogleGroup posts from gitgo (http://improve-usenet.org).

  11. Re: News group blocking

    Harold Stevens wrote:
    > In Moe Trin:
    >
    > [Snip...]
    >
    >> So instead of 200 channels with nothing worth watching, you have 27
    >> channels of nothing worth watching but it's in high definition.

    > That's basically what I told the Radio Shack guy when he told me I needed
    > an EXPENSIVE OUTDOOR ANTENNA to get useful broadcast digital TV signals.
    >
    > I politely declined, bought some canned air, and left the store pronto.
    >
    > If it's not clear: US broadcast TV can kiss my ass come February 2009.

    I moved in here about 2 years ago. Since my TV usage was basically
    Jeopardy and the News I decided that cable access was pointless,
    and ignored it. I then found that Rabbit Ears couldn't access
    anything properly, so I totally abandoned TV. FM radio works. I
    save about $50 per month, not to mention power.

    The only problem is that my grandson is now not anxious to visit
    me.

    I also managed to quit smoking, which saves even more! :-)

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  12. Re: News group blocking

    On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 22:51:37 -0400, CBFalconer wrote:

    > I moved in here about 2 years ago. Since my TV usage was basically
    > Jeopardy and the News I decided that cable access was pointless,
    > and ignored it. I then found that Rabbit Ears couldn't access
    > anything properly, so I totally abandoned TV. FM radio works. I
    > save about $50 per month, not to mention power.
    >
    > The only problem is that my grandson is now not anxious to visit
    > me.

    It isn't because of the lack of TV that your grandson doesn't want to
    visit you.

    Even kids can tell an asshole when they see one.

    --
    "Bother!" said Pooh, as the Facehugger impregnated him.

  13. Re: News group blocking

    CBFalconer wrote:

    > I moved in here about 2 years ago. Since my TV usage was basically
    > Jeopardy and the News I decided that cable access was pointless,
    > and ignored it. I then found that Rabbit Ears couldn't access
    > anything properly, so I totally abandoned TV. FM radio works. I
    > save about $50 per month, not to mention power.
    >
    > The only problem is that my grandson is now not anxious to visit
    > me.
    >
    > I also managed to quit smoking, which saves even more! :-)

    Congrats! It may also save your life!

    I have cable primarily for high-speed broadband Internet access. I will
    be moving my POTS landline to cable soon, and then "AT&T" will be added
    to my "non-compliant" sig block below. That should make the n00b Dan
    squirm. ;-)

    TV programming is secondary, but I do watch the news, including world
    news on CNN/FOX/MSNBC and the BBC, none of which are available on my
    hayseed local stations. I can receive more local stations, with an
    outdoor or indoor antenna, than are provided on either available cable
    systems.

    --
    John

  14. Re: News group blocking

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 13:48:46 -0500, John F. Morse wrote:

    > I have cable primarily for high-speed broadband Internet access. I will
    > be moving my POTS landline to cable soon, and then "AT&T" will be added
    > to my "non-compliant" sig block below. That should make the n00b Dan
    > squirm. ;-)

    There's no reason to put "non-compliant" in quotation marks like you did
    above, in an attempt to make it appear that it *isn't* non-compliant. It
    most certainly is, and makes you appear a fool to knowledgeable Usenet
    users. Your choice, though.

    n00b? Me? LOL! HAR! You made a funny!

    Bugger off, n00b.

    --
    "Bother!" said Pooh, as Rabbit pushed him off the speeding train.

  15. Re: News group blocking

    On 2008-06-23, Dan C wrote:
    > On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 22:51:37 -0400, CBFalconer wrote:
    >
    >> I moved in here about 2 years ago. Since my TV usage was basically
    >> Jeopardy and the News I decided that cable access was pointless,
    >> and ignored it. I then found that Rabbit Ears couldn't access
    >> anything properly, so I totally abandoned TV. FM radio works. I
    >> save about $50 per month, not to mention power.
    >>
    >> The only problem is that my grandson is now not anxious to visit
    >> me.

    > It isn't because of the lack of TV that your grandson doesn't want to
    > visit you.
    >
    > Even kids can tell an asshole when they see one.

    It's the rare gem like this that has kept me from killfiling Dan...
    Got right to the heart of the matter... ;-)

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  16. Re: News group blocking

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 07:47:01 -0500, Joe wrote:

    >>> The only problem is that my grandson is now not anxious to visit
    >>> me.

    >> It isn't because of the lack of TV that your grandson doesn't want to
    >> visit you.
    >>
    >> Even kids can tell an asshole when they see one.

    > It's the rare gem like this that has kept me from killfiling Dan...
    > Got right to the heart of the matter... ;-)

    "Rare"? I like to think nearly all of my posts are of "gem" quality. ;-)

    --
    "Bother!" said Pooh, as Lorena Bobbitt tied him to the bed.

  17. Re: News group blocking

    On 2008-06-25, Dan C wrote:

    >>> It isn't because of the lack of TV that your grandson doesn't want to
    >>> visit you.
    >>>
    >>> Even kids can tell an asshole when they see one.

    >> It's the rare gem like this that has kept me from killfiling Dan...
    >> Got right to the heart of the matter... ;-)

    > "Rare"? I like to think nearly all of my posts are of "gem" quality. ;-)

    Nahh. Usually monotonous and unimaginative. This one probably struck
    me as extra entertaining as it was exactly what I was thinking, but I
    tried to be nice... ;-)

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  18. Re: News group blocking

    CBFalconer wrote:
    > Harold Stevens wrote:
    >>
    >> [Snip...]
    >> That's basically what I told the Radio Shack guy when he told me I needed
    >> an EXPENSIVE OUTDOOR ANTENNA to get useful broadcast digital TV signals.

    Never ever take the advice from a Radio Shack nerd. What the kid didn't
    know is that digital is actually more sensitive than NTSC analog.

    >> I politely declined, bought some canned air, and left the store pronto.
    >>
    >> If it's not clear: US broadcast TV can kiss my ass come February 2009.

    Same here since I have 3 color sets, 3 DVD players, and 3 VHS tape
    machines. The only shows that I do watch regularly are BBC and I have to
    do a torrent download to see those. Going the Lemming way would mean
    about $3,000.00 minimum, and most of the so called wide screen digital
    televisions are not up to the 1,920 x 1080P standard anyway.
    News by way of shortwave, BBC mostly, gets me the real news and not the
    sanitized American version.
    'nuff from me,
    Bill Baka

+ Reply to Thread