Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu - Ubuntu ; I do not post here often, but do read a lot of useful information that has helped me immensely in learning Ubuntu. The problem is that my ISP is Verizon. Starting June 24, 2008 alt.os.linux.ubuntu will no longer be carried. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 88

  1. Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    I do not post here often, but do read a lot of useful information that
    has helped me immensely in learning Ubuntu.

    The problem is that my ISP is Verizon.
    Starting June 24, 2008 alt.os.linux.ubuntu will no longer be carried.
    In fact, quoting from the announcement on their website:

    "On 06/24/2008, Verizon will be modifying its Newsgroup offerings to
    only offer groups in the Big-8 Newsgroup hierarchies, which are listed
    below. Users will not be able to post or download from any other newsgroups.

    comp.*
    humanities.*
    misc.*
    news.*
    rec.*
    sci.*
    soc.*
    talk.* "

    Noticeably lacking is the entire alt.* hierarchy, much less just about
    anything else.

    Yes, I realize this is their way of blocking access to child porn, and
    that they are not the only ISP doing this draconian measure.

    I never thought I would appreciate the ACLU, but I sure hope they, or
    somebody, gets this decision reversed.

    If you feel like flaming me, go ahead; apparently in less than two weeks
    I won't be able to see the pretty flames anyways, or any of your
    recommended news servers. Or alt.satellite.gps, or any
    microsoft.public.* groups (which may just be the silver lining)

    --
    I'm glad my Mom named me Aaron,
    That's what everybody calls me.

  2. Re: Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 04:05:19 +0000, Aaron wrote:

    > I do not post here often, but do read a lot of useful information that
    > has helped me immensely in learning Ubuntu.

    I'm glad to help.

    Try here for a free news provider:

    http://www.motzarella.org

    It works well.

    Now filtering out all posts originating from Google Groups.

  3. Re: Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    On 2008-06-14, Aaron wrote:

    > The problem is that my ISP is Verizon.
    > Starting June 24, 2008 alt.os.linux.ubuntu will no longer be carried.
    > In fact, quoting from the announcement on their website:
    >
    > "On 06/24/2008, Verizon will be modifying its Newsgroup offerings to
    > only offer groups in the Big-8 Newsgroup hierarchies, which are listed
    > below. Users will not be able to post or download from any other newsgroups.

    A fascinating development in the US but I hope one that is not imitated
    everywhere. If you are happy to spend 10 per year you can get a quality
    feed from individual.net. I would hurry if I were you as things may
    change with the US diaspora of people looking for a news server
    commences.

    Andrew

    --
    Do you think that's air you're breathing now?

  4. Re: Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    teranews has an almost free (one time $3.95 charge) service that carries
    this newsgroup and works pretty well most of the time.

    Regards,
    John E. Golden

  5. Re: Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 04:05:19 +0000, Aaron wrote:

    > I do not post here often, but do read a lot of useful information that
    > has helped me immensely in learning Ubuntu.
    >
    > The problem is that my ISP is Verizon. Starting June 24, 2008
    > alt.os.linux.ubuntu will no longer be carried.

    While you can still access it, you may wish to read alt.free.newsservers.

    If you don't find a free server to your liking, I'll second the suggestion
    of news.individual.net. $12 per year is not bad for the use of a well
    run news server.

    --
    Tony Sivori
    Due to spam, I'm now filtering all Google Groups posters.

  6. Re: Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    Aaron a crit/wrote/schreef le/on/op 14/06/2008 Saint Elise ;

    Have a look at news.sunsite.dk

    http://dotsrc.org/usenet/

    --
    www.alain-beguin.be - Mesnews Translators Team
    MesNews on Linux Ubuntu Gnome Hardy Heron 8.04

  7. Re: Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 04:05:19 +0000, Aaron wrote:

    You could email newsadmin@datemas.de and ask if they will give you a free
    account. ;-)

  8. Re: Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    Den Sat, 14 Jun 2008 04:05:19 +0000 skrev Aaron:

    Check out
    http://www.albasani.net/

    You onley have to ask.

    /Anders

  9. Re: Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    Aaron wrote:

    .... snip ...

    > "On 06/24/2008, Verizon will be modifying its Newsgroup offerings
    > to only offer groups in the Big-8 Newsgroup hierarchies, which are
    > listed below. Users will not be able to post or download from any
    > other newsgroups.
    >
    > comp.*
    > humanities.*
    > misc.*
    > news.*
    > rec.*
    > sci.*
    > soc.*
    > talk.* "
    >
    > Noticeably lacking is the entire alt.* hierarchy, much less just
    > about anything else.

    Try free.teranews.com. One time $3.95 charge, nothing more. They
    add an ad to each posting made, see the end of this post (after the
    sig).

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  10. Re: Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 17:49:42 -0400, CBFalconer wrote:

    > Try free.teranews.com. One time $3.95 charge, nothing more. They
    > add an ad to each posting made, see the end of this post (after the
    > sig).

    Bad advice, for the reason given above.

    Hey doofus, anything in the post which is *after* the signature delimiter
    is *part of* the signature. That's why yours is non-Netiquette-compliant,
    and makes you look like a fool each time you open your mouth and insert
    foot. Fix your signature block, dimwit.

    Now filtering out all posts originating from Google Groups.

  11. Re: Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    Dan C wrote:
    > CBFalconer wrote:
    >
    >> Try free.teranews.com. One time $3.95 charge, nothing more. They add
    >> an ad to each posting made, see the end of this post (after the sig).

    > Bad advice, for the reason given above.

    Teranews.com is a troll haven. Many have this Usenet ISP kill filed for
    this very reason.

    --
    HPT

  12. Re: Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    Dan C wrote:
    > Aaron wrote:
    >
    >> I do not post here often, but do read a lot of useful information that
    >> has helped me immensely in learning Ubuntu.

    > I'm glad to help.
    >

    > Try here for a free news provider:
    >
    > http://www.motzarella.org
    >
    > It works well.

    Bad idea, motzarella.org is a troll haven to the extent that most have
    posts from this ISP kill filed.

    --
    HPT

  13. Re: Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 19:21:49 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:

    >> Try here for a free news provider:
    >>
    >> http://www.motzarella.org
    >>
    >> It works well.

    > Bad idea, motzarella.org is a troll haven to the extent that most have
    > posts from this ISP kill filed.

    Bull****.

    You must have them confused with aioe.org.

    Now filtering out all posts originating from Google Groups.

  14. Re: Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    High Plains Thumper wrote:
    > Dan C wrote:
    >
    >> Aaron wrote:
    >>

    >>> I do not post here often, but do read a lot of useful information that
    >>> has helped me immensely in learning Ubuntu.
    >>>

    >> I'm glad to help.
    >>

    >> Try here for a free news provider:
    >>
    >> http://www.motzarella.org
    >>
    >> It works well.
    >>

    > Bad idea, motzarella.org is a troll haven to the extent that most have
    > posts from this ISP kill filed.

    Intoxicated this early in the evening, eh?

    --
    John

  15. Re: Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    High Plains Thumper illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Dan C wrote:
    >> Aaron wrote:
    >>
    >>> I do not post here often, but do read a lot of useful information that
    >>> has helped me immensely in learning Ubuntu.

    >> I'm glad to help.
    >>

    >> Try here for a free news provider:
    >>
    >> http://www.motzarella.org
    >>
    >> It works well.

    > Bad idea, motzarella.org is a troll haven to the extent that most have
    > posts from this ISP kill filed.

    Nonsense. Motzarella is a good server. Anyone who blocks every poster
    using it is a dunderhead.

    --
    Moog

    “Are you going to come quietly, or do I have to use earplugs?”

  16. Re: Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    CBFalconer illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Aaron wrote:
    >>

    > ... snip ...
    >>
    >> "On 06/24/2008, Verizon will be modifying its Newsgroup offerings
    >> to only offer groups in the Big-8 Newsgroup hierarchies, which are
    >> listed below. Users will not be able to post or download from any
    >> other newsgroups.
    >>
    >> comp.*
    >> humanities.*
    >> misc.*
    >> news.*
    >> rec.*
    >> sci.*
    >> soc.*
    >> talk.* "
    >>
    >> Noticeably lacking is the entire alt.* hierarchy, much less just
    >> about anything else.

    > Try free.teranews.com. One time $3.95 charge, nothing more. They
    > add an ad to each posting made, see the end of this post (after the
    > sig).

    Let me get this straight, you pay £3.95 to use advertise a *free*
    service thati sn't actually free?

    Bloody nutz. Why advise people to do this when there are plenty of
    real free solutions?

    --
    Moog

    “Are you going to come quietly, or do I have to use earplugs?”

  17. Re: Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    On 2008-06-14, CBFalconer wrote:
    > Aaron wrote:
    >>

    > ... snip ...
    >>
    >> "On 06/24/2008, Verizon will be modifying its Newsgroup offerings
    >> to only offer groups in the Big-8 Newsgroup hierarchies, which are
    >> listed below. Users will not be able to post or download from any
    >> other newsgroups.
    >>
    >> comp.*
    >> humanities.*
    >> misc.*
    >> news.*
    >> rec.*
    >> sci.*
    >> soc.*
    >> talk.* "
    >>
    >> Noticeably lacking is the entire alt.* hierarchy, much less just
    >> about anything else.

    > Try free.teranews.com. One time $3.95 charge, nothing more. They
    > add an ad to each posting made, see the end of this post (after the
    > sig).

    I must have words with slrn to allow me to see it.

  18. Re: Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    On 2008-06-14, ray wrote:
    > On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 04:05:19 +0000, Aaron wrote:
    >
    > I've been using news.individual.net for a few years - complete
    > satisfaction. It's not free, but it is certainly modest - I think it's
    > about 12 euros/year.

    Ten. One spends more on just about anything in a year

  19. Re: Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    High Plains Thumper wrote:
    > Dan C wrote:
    >> Aaron wrote:
    >>
    >>> I do not post here often, but do read a lot of useful
    >>> information that has helped me immensely in learning Ubuntu.

    >> Try here for a free news provider:
    >>
    >> http://www.motzarella.org
    >>
    >> It works well.

    > Bad idea, motzarella.org is a troll haven to the extent that
    > most have posts from this ISP kill filed.

    This troll has posted the same about teranews.com recently. Ignore
    and plonk.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  20. Re: Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    High Plains Thumper wrote:
    > Dan C wrote:
    >> CBFalconer wrote:
    >>
    >>> Try free.teranews.com. One time $3.95 charge, nothing more.
    >>> They add an ad to each posting made, see the end of this post
    >>> (after the sig).

    >> Bad advice, for the reason given above.

    > Teranews.com is a troll haven. Many have this Usenet ISP kill
    > filed for this very reason.

    Thumper is a troll, posting this about all free news servers. He
    has the same answer for Motzarella. Ignore and plonk.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast