Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu - Ubuntu ; John F. Morse wrote: > Wes Groleau wrote: >> Took less than thirty seconds to Mae a new account >> (which copied all the Verizon settings) and then >> switch the server to nntp.aioe.net > > Wes, did you mean ...

  1. Re: Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    John F. Morse wrote:
    > Wes Groleau wrote:
    >> Took less than thirty seconds to Mae a new account
    >> (which copied all the Verizon settings) and then
    >> switch the server to nntp.aioe.net

    > Wes, did you mean nntp.aioe.org by chance?

    Yes

    > Or do they actually have both TLDs?

    Don't know.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    Ostracism: A practice of sticking your head in the sand.

  2. Re: Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    Dan C wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper wrote:

    **

    --
    HPT

  3. Re: Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    CBFalconer illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> It is free. The registration is not.

    >> That's a joke. Right?

    > It's factual. I have used them for about 2 years for that $3.95.

    It is NOT factual. The two statements used together are oxy*moronic*.

    --
    Moog

    “Are you going to come quietly, or do I have to use earplugs?”

  4. Re: Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 17:07:11 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > CBFalconer illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> That's a joke. Right?

    >> It's factual. I have used them for about 2 years for that $3.95.

    > It is NOT factual. The two statements used together are oxy*moronic*.

    Maybe if viewed as "strictly administration costs"....yeah, yeah I know
    (raising eyes to the heavens) "When it come down to it what
    "administration costs??".....common enough practice around here and one
    that generates a "You want WHAT???" for toggling an electronic switch to
    enabled.

  5. Re: Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    propman illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 17:07:11 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >
    >> CBFalconer illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> It's factual. I have used them for about 2 years for that $3.95.

    >> It is NOT factual. The two statements used together are oxy*moronic*.

    > Maybe if viewed as "strictly administration costs"....yeah, yeah I know
    > (raising eyes to the heavens) "When it come down to it what
    > "administration costs??".....common enough practice around here and one
    > that generates a "You want WHAT???" for toggling an electronic switch to
    > enabled.

    No. It is NOT free. To try to convince *anyone* it is, is a
    gross misdecription.

    I have no issue's with people charging for services. The issue I have
    is people charging and then claiming it's free.

    --
    Moog

    “Are you going to come quietly, or do I have to use earplugs?”

  6. Re: Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    Moog wrote:
    > CBFalconer illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> That's a joke. Right?

    >> It's factual. I have used them for about 2 years for that $3.95.

    > It is NOT factual. The two statements used together are oxy*moronic*.

    Well, how would you ensure that you probably know the correct
    identity and address of each and every registered user? Quickly
    now.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  7. Re: Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 19:06:03 -0400, CBFalconer wrote:

    > Moog wrote:
    >> CBFalconer illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> It's factual. I have used them for about 2 years for that $3.95.

    >> It is NOT factual. The two statements used together are oxy*moronic*.

    > Well, how would you ensure that you probably know the correct
    > identity and address of each and every registered user? Quickly
    > now.

    Free registration. Quick enough?

    --
    I wish my lawn was EMO so it would cut itself.

  8. Re: Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    "CBFalconer" wrote in message

    8<

    > Well, how would you ensure that you probably know the correct
    > identity and address of each and every registered user? Quickly
    > now.

    By taking a reserve on their card and removing that reserve after the check.
    How do you think its done for nothing?

  9. Re: Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    Trevor Best wrote:
    > CBFalconer wrote:
    >> Moog wrote:
    >>> CBFalconer illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> It is NOT factual. The two statements used together are oxy*moronic*.

    >> Well, how would you ensure that you probably know the correct
    >> identity and address of each and every registered user? Quickly
    >> now.

    > Free registration. Quick enough?

    Quite. Obviously you trust all your users. I have this bridge for
    sale in New York. It has been well proven by use over nearly 150
    years. If you prefer towers I can find something in Paris for
    you. Slightly younger than the bridge, but has over a century of
    proven use.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  10. Re: Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    CBFalconer illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >> CBFalconer illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> It's factual. I have used them for about 2 years for that $3.95.

    >> It is NOT factual. The two statements used together are oxy*moronic*.

    > Well, how would you ensure that you probably know the correct
    > identity and address of each and every registered user? Quickly
    > now.

    First off, why do you *need* to do that?

    Ultimately, the newsserver has the right to cancel accounts. Read the
    AUP's at the likes of motzarella and cnntp. IF they feel there is any
    misuse of their system, they simply cancel the acoount.

    They also capture IP's of people registering. More than one from one
    IP then they decline to open.

    So. Tell me how having an adress on record or not changes that
    ability. Quickly now.

    --
    Moog

    “Are you going to come quietly, or do I have to use earplugs?”

  11. Re: Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    CBFalconer illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > Quite. Obviously you trust all your users.

    So. Quite obviously, you trust people who you know the address of.

    If I give you my address, will you trust me?

    --
    Moog

    “Are you going to come quietly, or do I have to use earplugs?”

  12. Re: Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    * Moog wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > CBFalconer illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >

    >> Quite. Obviously you trust all your users.

    > So. Quite obviously, you trust people who you know the address of.
    >
    > If I give you my address, will you trust me?

    I'll bring the beer.

    --
    David

  13. Re: Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    Moog wrote:
    > CBFalconer illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >

    >> Quite. Obviously you trust all your users.

    > So. Quite obviously, you trust people who you know the address of.
    > If I give you my address, will you trust me?

    No, but if you give me a credit card number, and I successfully
    collect a charge on it from a credit card company, and that doesn't
    result in a callback for forgery etc., I can be quite confident
    that I do know who you are and how to access you.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  14. Re: Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    Moog wrote:
    > CBFalconer illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    .... snip ...

    >> Well, how would you ensure that you probably know the correct
    >> identity and address of each and every registered user? Quickly
    >> now.

    > First off, why do you *need* to do that?
    >
    > Ultimately, the newsserver has the right to cancel accounts. Read the
    > AUP's at the likes of motzarella and cnntp. IF they feel there is any
    > misuse of their system, they simply cancel the acoount.
    >
    > They also capture IP's of people registering. More than one from one
    > IP then they decline to open.
    >
    > So. Tell me how having an adress on record or not changes that
    > ability. Quickly now.

    It doesn't. It does change the ability to charge the evil deeds to
    the evil doer.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  15. Re: Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 04:47:37 -0400, CBFalconer wrote:

    >> Free registration. Quick enough?

    > Quite. Obviously you trust all your users. I have this bridge for
    > sale in New York. It has been well proven by use over nearly 150
    > years. If you prefer towers I can find something in Paris for
    > you. Slightly younger than the bridge, but has over a century of
    > proven use.

    Apples and oranges. They're providing a Usenet account, not giving them
    the key to their daughter's house.

    --
    I wish my lawn was EMO so it would cut itself.

  16. Re: Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    * CBFalconer wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > Moog wrote:
    >> CBFalconer illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>

    >>> Quite. Obviously you trust all your users.

    >> So. Quite obviously, you trust people who you know the address of.
    >> If I give you my address, will you trust me?

    > No, but if you give me a credit card number, and I successfully
    > collect a charge on it from a credit card company, and that doesn't
    > result in a callback for forgery etc., I can be quite confident
    > that I do know who you are and how to access you.

    So they dont have identity theft on your planet?

    --
    David

  17. Re: Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    * CBFalconer wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > Moog wrote:
    >> CBFalconer illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>

    > ... snip ...
    >>>
    >>> Well, how would you ensure that you probably know the correct
    >>> identity and address of each and every registered user? Quickly
    >>> now.

    >> First off, why do you *need* to do that?
    >>
    >> Ultimately, the newsserver has the right to cancel accounts. Read the
    >> AUP's at the likes of motzarella and cnntp. IF they feel there is any
    >> misuse of their system, they simply cancel the acoount.
    >>
    >> They also capture IP's of people registering. More than one from one
    >> IP then they decline to open.
    >>
    >> So. Tell me how having an adress on record or not changes that
    >> ability. Quickly now.

    > It doesn't. It does change the ability to charge the evil deeds to
    > the evil doer.

    I dont see anywhere on their site where you agree to be charged for such,
    in fact, I dont see a TOS anywhere.

    Next...

    --
    David

  18. Re: Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    Moog wrote:
    > CBFalconer illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >

    >> Quite. Obviously you trust all your users.
    >>

    > So. Quite obviously, you trust people who you know the address of.
    >
    > If I give you my address, will you trust me?

    I would trust you on my news server, but I wouldn't trust you for other
    matters, like alone near my refrigerator.

    If you have an authenticated account, then you are responsible for your
    posts.

    I can't know if someone else uses your authentication, unless I also use
    an IP check, but I do know that if someone posts a no-no, you are
    responsible because you provided the "cracker" with your authentication.
    Whether on purpose, or because you chose a poor username and password.

    In the rare case where a cracker just happened to guess it, you would be
    easily forgiven -- after you changed the password of course.

    But you still aren't gonna get in me frige!

    --
    John

  19. Re: Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    SINNER wrote:
    > * Moog wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >

    >> CBFalconer illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>

    >>> Quite. Obviously you trust all your users.
    >>>

    >> So. Quite obviously, you trust people who you know the address of.
    >>
    >> If I give you my address, will you trust me?
    >>

    > I'll bring the beer.

    You can keep it cold in my frige if you want. ;-)

    --
    John

  20. Re: Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    CBFalconer illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >> CBFalconer illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>

    >>> Quite. Obviously you trust all your users.

    >> So. Quite obviously, you trust people who you know the address of.
    >> If I give you my address, will you trust me?

    > No, but if you give me a credit card number, and I successfully
    > collect a charge on it from a credit card company, and that doesn't
    > result in a callback for forgery etc., I can be quite confident
    > that I do know who you are and how to access you.

    So. We've moved from addresses to credit card numbers now.

    Hey. Goal posts. Stop moving please.