Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu - Ubuntu ; Moog wrote: > CBFalconer illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing: > .... snip ... > >> Try free.teranews.com. One time $3.95 charge, nothing more. >> They add an ad to each posting made, see the end of this post >> (after the ...

  1. Re: Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    Moog wrote:
    > CBFalconer illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    .... snip ...

    >> Try free.teranews.com. One time $3.95 charge, nothing more.
    >> They add an ad to each posting made, see the end of this post
    >> (after the sig).

    > Let me get this straight, you pay £3.95 to use advertise a
    > *free* service thati sn't actually free?
    >
    > Bloody nutz. Why advise people to do this when there are plenty
    > of real free solutions?

    Those are US $. Makes sense to me. It keeps them from getting all
    sorts of phony registrations and ensures (more or less) that they
    know who their users actually are.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  2. Re: Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > Dan C wrote:
    >> Aaron wrote:
    >>
    >>> I do not post here often, but do read a lot of useful information that
    >>> has helped me immensely in learning Ubuntu.

    >> I'm glad to help.
    >>

    >> Try here for a free news provider:
    >>
    >> http://www.motzarella.org
    >>
    >> It works well.

    > Bad idea, motzarella.org is a troll haven to the extent that most have
    > posts from this ISP kill filed.

    It's the first I've heard of it. Are you making this up?

    --
    Peace,
    Fred

  3. Re: Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 06:38:39 -0400, CBFalconer wrote:

    > Moog wrote:

    >> Bloody nutz. Why advise people to do this when there are plenty
    >> of real free solutions?

    > Those are US $. Makes sense to me. It keeps them from getting all
    > sorts of phony registrations and ensures (more or less) that they
    > know who their users actually are.

    That's less than a pint Moog, and only just more than a litre of petrol in
    a few weeks time.

    --
    Q: Want to lower petrol prices?
    A: Easy, just boycott BP & Esso

  4. Re: Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    CBFalconer wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >> Dan C wrote:

    >>> Bad advice, for the reason given above.

    >> Teranews.com is a troll haven. Many have this Usenet ISP kill filed for
    >> this very reason.

    > Thumper is a troll, posting this about all free news servers. He has the
    > same answer for Motzarella. Ignore and plonk.

    You're a freaking, lying, incompetent idiot, bitch.

    --
    HPT

  5. Re: Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    CBFalconer illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >> CBFalconer illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>

    > ... snip ...
    >>
    >>> Try free.teranews.com. One time $3.95 charge, nothing more.
    >>> They add an ad to each posting made, see the end of this post
    >>> (after the sig).

    >> Let me get this straight, you pay £3.95 to use advertise a
    >> *free* service thati sn't actually free?
    >>
    >> Bloody nutz. Why advise people to do this when there are plenty
    >> of real free solutions?

    > Those are US $. Makes sense to me. It keeps them from getting all
    > sorts of phony registrations and ensures (more or less) that they
    > know who their users actually are.

    Sorry. It's a gross mis-description. A free newserver should be free.
    There's nothing wrong with a paid for service, but it needs to be
    advertised as such.

    --
    Moog

    “Are you going to come quietly, or do I have to use earplugs?”

  6. Re: Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    On 2008-06-15, Bill intrigued me by typing:
    > Trevor Best wrote:
    >> On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 09:12:46 +0000, Gordon wrote:
    >>

    > Blocking a whole 'alt' block of groups is A: Draconian, and B: Signs of
    > a lazy or stupid company or IT administrator.
    > Bill Baka

    I agree.
    --
    Just Me, D
    Linux User# 454411

  7. Re: Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    CBFalconer wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >> Dan C wrote:

    >>> Try here for a free news provider:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.motzarella.org
    >>>
    >>> It works well.

    >> Bad idea, motzarella.org is a troll haven to the extent that most have
    >> posts from this ISP kill filed.

    > This troll has posted the same about teranews.com recently. Ignore and
    > plonk.

    CBFalconer has some strange ideas on what a troll is. Apparently it is
    anyone who posts something that he doesn't understand or like. In doing
    so shows that he is the troll. Not everyone agrees with him.

    http://unixadmintalk.com/f21/slackwa...66/index2.html

    rm@biteme.org
    Re: Slackware for kids

    Ian Bell wrote:
    > CBFalconer wrote:
    >
    >> Just PLONK and ignore him. That way the rest of us don't have to
    >> see his silly vituperations, and he won't be amused and encouraged.

    [....]
    this, or any other newsgroup. Check it out yourself. Use Google.
    In past I have used Motzarella.org, but rarely use it now because of the
    trolling in COLA bleeding into AOLU through troll crossposts.

    If one follows CBFalconer's reasoning, the Hadron and Moshe Goldfarb
    aren't trolls although they use Motzarella.org and post their anti-Linux
    gob****e.

    Ezekiel is not a troll although he uses Teranews.com and posts his
    anti-linux tripe.

    --
    HPT

  8. Re: Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 00:28:30 +0000, Wes Groleau wrote:

    > Took less than thirty seconds to Mae a new account (which copied all the
    > Verizon settings) and then switch the server to nntp.aioe.net
    >
    > That's with Thunderbird.

    Decided it would be nice to have a backup news server so I logged onto

    news.motzarella.org

    ......registered and then setup Pan v0.132 for that feed. Seems to be
    working fine.

    Just thought I'd add my 2 cents worth. :-)

  9. Re: Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    Wes Groleau wrote:
    > Took less than thirty seconds to Mae a new account
    > (which copied all the Verizon settings) and then
    > switch the server to nntp.aioe.net

    Wes, did you mean nntp.aioe.org by chance?

    Or do they actually have both TLDs?

    --
    John

  10. Re: Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 17:37:40 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:

    ___________________
    /| /| | |
    ||__|| | Please do |
    / O O\__ NOT |
    / \ feed the |
    / \ \ trolls |
    / _ \ \ ______________|
    / |\____\ \ ||
    / | | | |\____/ ||
    / \|_|_|/ \ __||
    / / \ |____| ||
    / | | /| | --|
    | | |// |____ --|
    * _ | |_|_|_| | \-/
    *-- _--\ _ \ // |
    / _ \\ _ // | /
    * / \_ /- | - | |
    * ___ c_c_c_C/ \C_c_c_c____________

    --
    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he wiped the vomit from his chin.

  11. Re: Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    Moog wrote:
    > CBFalconer illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Moog wrote:
    >>> CBFalconer illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>>

    >> ... snip ...

    >>> Let me get this straight, you pay £3.95 to use advertise a
    >>> *free* service thati sn't actually free?
    >>>
    >>> Bloody nutz. Why advise people to do this when there are plenty
    >>> of real free solutions?

    >> Those are US $. Makes sense to me. It keeps them from getting all
    >> sorts of phony registrations and ensures (more or less) that they
    >> know who their users actually are.

    > Sorry. It's a gross mis-description. A free newserver should be free.
    > There's nothing wrong with a paid for service, but it needs to be
    > advertised as such.

    It is free. The registration is not.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  12. Re: Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    Dan C wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >> CBFalconer wrote:
    >>
    >>> This troll has posted the same about teranews.com
    >>> recently. Ignore and plonk.

    >> CBFalconer has some strange ideas on what a troll is.
    >> Apparently it is anyone who posts something that he doesn't
    >> understand or like. In doing so shows that he is the troll.
    >> Not everyone agrees with him.
    >>
    >> http://unixadmintalk.com/f21/slackwa...66/index2.html
    >>
    >> [quote]

    >> rm@biteme.org
    >> Re: Slackware for kids
    >>
    >> Ian Bell wrote:
    >>> CBFalconer wrote:

    Just PLONK and ignore him. That way the rest of us don't have

    >> [....] CBFalconer is a troll and he has never contributed anything of
    >> value to this, or any other newsgroup. Check it out yourself. Use
    >> Google.
    >>
    >> In past I have used Motzarella.org, but rarely use it now because of
    >> the trolling in COLA bleeding into AOLU through troll crossposts.
    >>
    >> If one follows CBFalconer's reasoning, the Hadron and Moshe Goldfarb
    >> aren't trolls although they use Motzarella.org and post their
    >> anti-Linux gob****e.
    >>
    >> Ezekiel is not a troll although he uses Teranews.com and posts his
    >> anti-linux tripe.

    > ___________________
    > /| /| | |
    > ||__|| | Please do |
    > / O O\__ NOT |

    listen to Dan C's gob****e.

    http://tinyurl.com/6ehwrk

    Newsgroups: rec.arts.books.tolkien
    Subject: About Dan C the troll (was Re: Does Boern appear anywhere besides
    the Hobbit?)
    Date: 1 Jul 2005 17:26:55 -0700

    Dan C wrote:
    > On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 07:27:35 -0700, Michael wrote:
    >
    > > You're as bad a troll as AC.

    > I guess you don't really know what a troll is, huh? Hint: I'm not one.

    Dude, when people look up the definition of "troll" on the Internet,
    your name is among the first listed.

    Get a life, because you surely don't have an honest leg to stand on in
    this matter.
    --
    HPT

  13. Re: Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    CBFalconer illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >> CBFalconer illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>>>
    >>> ... snip ...

    >>> Those are US $. Makes sense to me. It keeps them from getting all
    >>> sorts of phony registrations and ensures (more or less) that they
    >>> know who their users actually are.

    >> Sorry. It's a gross mis-description. A free newserver should be free.
    >> There's nothing wrong with a paid for service, but it needs to be
    >> advertised as such.

    > It is free. The registration is not.

    That's a joke. Right?

    --
    Moog

    “Are you going to come quietly, or do I have to use earplugs?”

  14. Re: Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    Dan C wrote:
    >> Dan C wrote:
    >>
    >>> ___________________
    >>> /| /| | |
    >>> ||__|| | Please do |
    >>> / O O\__ NOT |

    >> listen to Dan C's gob****e.
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/6ehwrk
    >>

    >> Newsgroups: rec.arts.books.tolkien
    >> Subject: About Dan C the troll (was Re: Does Boern appear anywhere
    >> besides the Hobbit?)
    >> Date: 1 Jul 2005 17:26:55 -0700
    >>
    >> Dan C wrote:

    >>> I guess you don't really know what a troll is, huh? Hint: I'm not
    >>> one.

    >> Dude, when people look up the definition of "troll" on the Internet,
    >> your name is among the first listed.
    >>
    >> Get a life, because you surely don't have an honest leg to stand on in
    >> this matter.
    >>

    > ___________________
    > /| /| | |
    > ||__|| | Please do |
    > / O O\__ NOT |
    > / \ feed the |
    > / \ \ DAN C troll |
    > / _ \ \ ______________|
    > / |\____\ \ ||
    > / | | | |\____/ ||
    > / \|_|_|/ \ __||
    > / / \ |____| ||
    > / | | /| | --|
    > | | |// |____ --|
    > * _ | |_|_|_| | \-/
    > *-- _--\ _ \ // |
    > / _ \\ _ // | /
    > * / \_ /- | - | |
    > * ___ c_c_c_C/ \C_c_c_c____________

    Yup. Proof:

    [Dan C sig quotes]
    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he inserted the suppository.
    [/Dan C sig quotes]

    Go play in the Slackware Usenet and leave Ubuntu alone, idiot.

    --
    HPT

  15. Re: Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 07:16:01 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:

    ___________________
    /| /| | |
    ||__|| | Please do |
    / O O\__ NOT |
    / \ feed the |
    / \ \ trolls |
    / _ \ \ ______________|
    / |\____\ \ ||
    / | | | |\____/ ||
    / \|_|_|/ \ __||
    / / \ |____| ||
    / | | /| | --|
    | | |// |____ --|
    * _ | |_|_|_| | \-/
    *-- _--\ _ \ // |
    / _ \\ _ // | /
    * / \_ /- | - | |
    * ___ c_c_c_C/ \C_c_c_c____________

    --
    "Bother!" said Pooh, as his U-Boat sank another hospital ship.

  16. Re: Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 08:06:08 +0000, Moog wrote:

    >> It is free. The registration is not.

    > That's a joke. Right?

    Answers on the back of a 20 note to...

    --
    Q: Want to lower petrol prices?
    A: Easy, just boycott BP & Esso

  17. Re: Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 08:06:08 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >
    >>> It is free. The registration is not.

    >> That's a joke. Right?

    > Answers on the back of a £20 note to...

    free.teranews.com
    ;-)

    --
    Moog

    “Are you going to come quietly, or do I have to use earplugs?”

  18. Re: Are there any free news servers that carry alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    ray wrote:

    > I've been using news.individual.net for a few years - complete
    > satisfaction. It's not free, but it is certainly modest - I think it's
    > about 12 euros/year.

    same here, they also don't put up with trolls ether