C.O.L.A. Newcomer FAQ and Primer - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on C.O.L.A. Newcomer FAQ and Primer - Ubuntu ; High Plains Thumper a écrit: > +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ > + > + C.O.L.A. Newcomer FAQ and Primer > + Edition: 23 - 10/24/07 > + Group: comp.os.linux.advocacy > + > + Copyright (c) 2002-2006 Linux Reality Team > + > + ...

  1. C.O.L.A. Newcomer FAQ and Primer

    High Plains Thumper a écrit:
> [...]
    >
    > 6.1 Q: What is RTFM?!
    > A: This is an acronym for Read The Fuc*ing Manual. This is a common
    > answer you'll get when asking for help in the Linux community.
    > It's meant to make you feel inadequate while boating the Linux
    > persons ego at the same time. See, Linux enthusiasts consider
    > themselves to be guru like and above helping out the simple
    > newbie. You have to earn your respect by spending countless
    > hours becoming a kernel hacker before you're worthy of getting
    > any help.
    >
    > 6.2 Q: Why does everyone think they are better than you when
    > using Linux?
    > A: Same as above. When people use Linux they believe since it
    > takes a little more knowledge to use Linux, they are technically
    > superior, and see themselves as an elite group that doesn't have
    > time for the pathetic little Windows people.
    >
    > (more to come...)
    >
    > SECTION SEVEN - LINUX ADVOCACY, HELPING OR HURTING?
    >
    > 7.1 Q: Everyone in here says linux is perfect, why would they say that
    > if it isn't?
    > A: We really don't know. Maybe they've used Linux so long that
    > they've gotten used to it. Some of these people haven't used
    > Windows in years so they are comparing Linux to the
    > last windows they used, maybe Windows 3.1 or 95.
    >
    > 7.2 Q: Why does everyone call you a troll when you ask something that
    > questions linux?
    > A: Most of the people here in C.O.L.A. think of Linux more like a
    > religion than an OS. They mostly are MS haters and feel that
    > Linux is the greatest thing to ever hit computing. So when
    > someone questions Linux it's like questioning their belief
    > system. Instead of looking at it with some logic and
    > reasonable judgment, they will lash out at you can't claim your
    > are a troll or a paid MS supporter.
    >
    > 7.3 Q: Why does everyone you if you question Linux?
    > A: Fairly similar to above, Linux advocates can not argue their
    > point rationally. So to make it look like you are under them
    > or you are not worth it, and at the same time find an easy
    > way out of having to prove themselves, they will you.
    >
    > (more to come...)
    > SECTION EIGHT - LINUX EVANGELISM, ZEALOTS
    >
    > 8.1 Q: There are some people that call this FAQ lies and seem to treat
    > it like it's a conspiracy against them, and post all sorts of links
    > to anti-microsoft articles. Why are they reacting so strongly?
    > A: The people that are reacting so strongly are most likely the
    > Linux extremists that believe everything negitive that is said about
    > Linux comes from Microsoft. Like many cult-like groups, the people
    > that belong to them don't have the ability to see things rationally
    > or outside of their view. If someone replies to the FAQ, or
    > anything questioning a non-favorable view on Linux, that seems a
    > little "over the edge", do a google search on the person
    > (http://groups.google.com/) and look at his/her posting history
    > then decide for yourself if the person is credible or not.

  2. Re: C.O.L.A. Newcomer FAQ and Primer

    On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 03:30:05 +0200 (CEST), Nomen Nescio wrote:

> [...]
    >>
    >> (more to come...)
    >> SECTION EIGHT - LINUX EVANGELISM, ZEALOTS
    >>
    >> 8.1 Q: There are some people that call this FAQ lies and seem to treat
    >> it like it's a conspiracy against them, and post all sorts of links
    >> to anti-microsoft articles. Why are they reacting so strongly?
    >> A: The people that are reacting so strongly are most likely the
    >> Linux extremists that believe everything negitive that is said about
    >> Linux comes from Microsoft. Like many cult-like groups, the people
    >> that belong to them don't have the ability to see things rationally
    >> or outside of their view. If someone replies to the FAQ, or
    >> anything questioning a non-favorable view on Linux, that seems a
    >> little "over the edge", do a google search on the person
    >> (http://groups.google.com/) and look at his/her posting history
    >> then decide for yourself if the person is credible or not.

    Nice to see the REAL FAq posted here for a change.
    That tripe written my mjcr (aka 7) is pure garbage.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: TROLL ALERT - C.O.L.A. Newcomer FAQ and Primer

    TROLLS: http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/

    >> Welcome to comp.os.linux.advocacy, otherwise known as cola. This FAQ
    >> will try to address most of the issues regarding Linux and this group.
    >> Unlike the other FAQs, this one will try to be as realistic as possible.
    >> If you want the straight information from real people, continue
    >> reading. If you would like to be told what you want to hear, or read a
    >> bunch of misinformation that you will regret later as you find things
    >> don't work as they should, feel free to read one of the other "FAQS" in
    >> here.
    >>
    >> OK, on to the info! ADDED NEW SECTION BELOW!

    >> SECTION EIGHT - LINUX EVANGELISM, ZEALOTS
    >>
    >> 8.1 Q: There are some people that call this FAQ lies [SNIP]

    because it simply is.

    There are several lying, worthless trolls who falsely attribute this FAQ
    to me. There is the official FAQ, original is available at

    ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet-by-hie...inux/advocacy/
    %5Bcomp.os.linux.advocacy%5D_FAQ_and_Primer_for_CO LA,_Edition_III

    or http://tinyurl.com/4obfht

    Alternates:

    ftp://sipb.mit.edu/pub/usenet-by-hie...inux/advocacy/
    http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/faqs/faqs-hie...inux.advocacy/
    http://faqs.cs.uu.nl/na-dir/linux/ad...nd-primer.html
    http://www.opennet.ru/docs/FAQ/OS/Li...nd-primer.html
    http://static.slated.org/cola-faq.html

    I use Ubuntu Feisty on both my desktop and laptop, and have Debian
    installed on another. In spite of the stupid crap these trolls keep
    parroting, I have had none of the problems described.

    It is interesting to note the length these worthless trolls will go, to
    defend, uphold, behold, and trash all competition to their lovely
    Microsoft Windows, even to the point of breaking privacy laws with most
    nations to post a Linux advocate's home address, phone number and other
    personal information and libel them.

    --
    HPT

    --
    HPT

  4. Re: TROLL ALERT - C.O.L.A. Newcomer FAQ and Primer

    On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 18:45:09 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:

    Why did you feel the need to post some kind of COLA bull**** here, where
    it's completely irrelevant?

    Damn, talk about trolls. Pot, meet Kettle.

    **** off and leave, troll. You're not even good at that.

    Now filtering out all posts originating from Google Groups.

  5. Re: TROLL ALERT - C.O.L.A. Newcomer FAQ and Primer

    Dan C wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >> Anonymising Remailer coward Nomen Nescio wrote:
    >>> High Plains Thumper a[^hDID NOT] écrit:
    >>> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    >>> + C.O.L.A. Newcomer FAQ and Primer
    >>> + Edition: 23 - 10/24/07
    >>> + Group: comp.os.linux.advocacy
    >>> + Copyright (c) 2002-2006 Linux Reality Team
    >>> + PLEASE VISIT OUR HALL OF LINUX [SNIP]

    > TROLLS: http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/

    >> I use Ubuntu Feisty on both my desktop and laptop, and have Debian
    >> installed on another. In spite of the stupid crap these trolls keep
    >> parroting, I have had none of the problems described.
    >>
    >> It is interesting to note the length these worthless trolls will go, to
    >> defend, uphold, behold, and trash all competition to their lovely
    >> Microsoft Windows, even to the point of breaking privacy laws with most
    >> nations to post a Linux advocate's home address, phone number and other
    >> personal information and libel them.

    > Wh

    Case in point, another deadbeat troll in Ubuntu. The idiots post a bogus
    FAQ falsely using my nym and say nothing. I defend myself and this troll
    responds, showing who is the real troll. These freakers are everywhere.

    --
    HPT

  6. Re: TROLL ALERT - C.O.L.A. Newcomer FAQ and Primer

    On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 22:51:44 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > Case in point, another deadbeat troll in Ubuntu. The idiots post a bogus
    > FAQ falsely using my nym and say nothing. I defend myself and this troll
    > responds, showing who is the real troll. These freakers are everywhere.

    I didn't see the original until you posted it here, probably because it
    was posted to COLA, something a lot of have blocked. So if you feel the
    need to defend yourself, do it back in the groups it was originally posted
    to. That way, those of us who didn't see the original won't see the
    replies.

    --
    Q: Want to lower petrol prices?
    A: Easy, just boycott BP & Esso

  7. Re: TROLL ALERT - C.O.L.A. Newcomer FAQ and Primer

    Trevor Best wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >
    >> Case in point, another deadbeat troll in Ubuntu. The idiots post a
    >> bogus FAQ falsely using my nym and say nothing. I defend myself and
    >> this troll responds, showing who is the real troll. These freakers are
    >> everywhere.

    > I didn't see the original until you posted it here, probably because it
    > was posted to COLA, something a lot of have blocked. So if you feel the
    > need to defend yourself, do it back in the groups it was originally
    > posted to. That way, those of us who didn't see the original won't see
    > the replies.

    Clogwog troll crossposted to AOLU, but my ISP does not permit simultaneous
    replies to both COLA and AOLU. Hence why the separate reply in AOLU.

    --
    HPT

  8. Re: TROLL ALERT - C.O.L.A. Newcomer FAQ and Primer

    * High Plains Thumper wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > Trevor Best wrote:
    >> High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >>
    >>> Case in point, another deadbeat troll in Ubuntu. The idiots post a
    >>> bogus FAQ falsely using my nym and say nothing. I defend myself and
    >>> this troll responds, showing who is the real troll. These freakers
    >>> are everywhere.

    >> I didn't see the original until you posted it here, probably because
    >> it was posted to COLA, something a lot of have blocked. So if you
    >> feel the need to defend yourself, do it back in the groups it was
    >> originally posted to. That way, those of us who didn't see the
    >> original won't see the replies.

    > Clogwog troll crossposted to AOLU, but my ISP does not permit
    > simultaneous replies to both COLA and AOLU. Hence why the separate
    > reply in AOLU.

    Did you even read the above? Dont do that, it avoids killfiles and you
    are now multiposting which is another netiquette no-no

    --
    David

  9. Re: TROLL ALERT - C.O.L.A. Newcomer FAQ and Primer

    Trevor Best wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >
    >> Case in point, another deadbeat troll in Ubuntu. The idiots post a
    >> bogus FAQ falsely using my nym and say nothing. I defend myself and
    >> this troll responds, showing who is the real troll. These freakers are
    >> everywhere.

    > I didn't see the original until you posted it here, probably because it
    > was posted to COLA, something a lot of have blocked. So if you feel the
    > need to defend yourself, do it back in the groups it was originally
    > posted to. That way, those of us who didn't see the original won't see
    > the replies.

    Troll clogwog crossposted it to AOLU. Reason for separate reply in AOLU
    was Usenet ISP does not allow posting to both COLA and AOLU at the same
    time.

    I noticed: '"Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard
    for me"' statement in this Dan C's sig, which ought to have been a
    tip-off that he is out to denigrate Ubuntu.

    --
    HPT

  10. Re: TROLL ALERT - C.O.L.A. Newcomer FAQ and Primer

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 22:21:26 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > Trevor Best wrote:
    >> High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >>
    >>> Case in point, another deadbeat troll in Ubuntu. The idiots post a
    >>> bogus FAQ falsely using my nym and say nothing. I defend myself and
    >>> this troll responds, showing who is the real troll. These freakers are
    >>> everywhere.

    >> I didn't see the original until you posted it here, probably because it
    >> was posted to COLA, something a lot of have blocked. So if you feel the
    >> need to defend yourself, do it back in the groups it was originally
    >> posted to. That way, those of us who didn't see the original won't see
    >> the replies.

    > Troll clogwog crossposted it to AOLU. Reason for separate reply in AOLU
    > was Usenet ISP does not allow posting to both COLA and AOLU at the same
    > time.
    >
    > I noticed: '"Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard
    > for me"' statement in this Dan C's sig, which ought to have been a tip-off
    > that he is out to denigrate Ubuntu.

    Dan and Trevor both troll Ubuntu. Trevor being the troll's "ass kisser,
    back patting, hah hah hah man sycophant." They want to scare off the newbs
    for some odd reason. I guess if you're not a savvy user you're troll
    fodder.

  11. Re: TROLL ALERT - C.O.L.A. Newcomer FAQ and Primer

    On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 00:29:27 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

    > Dan and Trevor both troll Ubuntu. Trevor being the troll's "ass kisser,
    > back patting, hah hah hah man sycophant." They want to scare off the newbs
    > for some odd reason. I guess if you're not a savvy user you're troll
    > fodder.

    Ahhhh, look. Man-Meat-Plower has got himself a new buddy.

    Birds of a feather.

    The only real trolls around here are these two dimwits.

    --
    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he wiped the vomit from his chin.

  12. Re: TROLL ALERT - C.O.L.A. Newcomer FAQ and Primer

    On 2008-06-29, Dan C wrote:
    > On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 00:29:27 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:
    >
    >> Dan and Trevor both troll Ubuntu. Trevor being the troll's "ass kisser,
    >> back patting, hah hah hah man sycophant." They want to scare off the newbs
    >> for some odd reason. I guess if you're not a savvy user you're troll
    >> fodder.

    > Ahhhh, look. Man-Meat-Plower has got himself a new buddy.
    >
    > Birds of a feather.
    >
    > The only real trolls around here are these two dimwits.

    Nahhh, it's an imaginary friend. Meat lover is talking to himself...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

+ Reply to Thread