Good news for Linux. - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Good news for Linux. - Ubuntu ; A friend of mine told me he had heard that M$ was going to stop shipping OEM XP and stop even supporting it in an attempt to force people to have Vista on their new machines. This could be great ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 123

Thread: Good news for Linux.

  1. Good news for Linux.

    A friend of mine told me he had heard that M$ was going to stop shipping
    OEM XP and stop even supporting it in an attempt to force people to have
    Vista on their new machines.
    This could be great news for the Linux community as that might be the
    proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.
    Bill Baka

  2. Re: Good news for Linux.

    Bill wrote:
    > A friend of mine told me he had heard that M$ was going to stop shipping
    > OEM XP and stop even supporting it in an attempt to force people to have
    > Vista on their new machines.
    > This could be great news for the Linux community as that might be the
    > proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.
    > Bill Baka


    Your friend is sort of right. For low end laptops, XP will be available
    until 2010. This is being done specifically to combat Linux.

    Alias

  3. Re: Good news for Linux.

    In alt.os.linux.ubuntu on Thu, 12 Jun 2008 07:40:08 -0700, Bill
    wrote:

    > A friend of mine told me he had heard that M$ was going to stop shipping
    > OEM XP and stop even supporting it in an attempt to force people to have
    > Vista on their new machines.


    It's always good to get news from an authoritative source.

    > This could be great news for the Linux community as that might be the
    > proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.


    news:comp.os.linux.advocacy is over there. -->

    --
    PJR :-)



  4. Re: Good news for Linux.

    Bill wrote:
    > A friend of mine told me he had heard that M$ was going to stop shipping
    > OEM XP and stop even supporting it in an attempt to force people to have
    > Vista on their new machines.
    > This could be great news for the Linux community as that might be the
    > proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.
    > Bill Baka


    Ancient news, where've you been? Also, not Ubuntu.

  5. Re: Good news for Linux.

    On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 15:33:14 +0000 (UTC)
    Peter J Ross wrote:

    > In alt.os.linux.ubuntu on Thu, 12 Jun 2008 07:40:08 -0700, Bill
    > wrote:
    >

    [...]
    >
    > > This could be great news for the Linux community as that might be the
    > > proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

    >
    > news:comp.os.linux.advocacy is over there.


    Bill, since you are wanting to AVOID the dimwits that post nonsense then I
    advise AGAINST going to any .advocacy news group. The comp.os.linux.advocacy
    group is mostly trolls and those who like USENET flame wars. Keep on posting
    your Linux news here or in comp.os.linux.misc (if it is *real* news). Anyone
    that has a clue will NEVER see your post if you use a .advocacy group.

    It is not a crime to be pro-Linux in a Linux newsgroup. Just be aware the
    various self-appointed net nannies and net cops will whine at you if it
    does not fit their idea of a "proper post".

    Gene (e-mail: usenet0 \a\t eracc \d\o\t com)
    blog.eracc.com latest article: http://preview.tinyurl.com/6qa5qr
    'What is Spring Football?'
    --
    Mandriva Linux release 2007.1 (Official) for i586
    Got Rute? http://www.anrdoezrs.net/email-25465...sbn=0130333514
    ERA Computers & Consulting - http://www.eracc.com/
    Preloaded PCs - eComStation, Linux, FreeBSD, OpenServer & UnixWare


  6. Re: Good news for Linux.

    In alt.os.linux.ubuntu on Thu, 12 Jun 2008 11:37:39 -0500, ERACC
    wrote:

    > On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 15:33:14 +0000 (UTC)
    > Peter J Ross wrote:
    >
    >> In alt.os.linux.ubuntu on Thu, 12 Jun 2008 07:40:08 -0700, Bill
    >> wrote:
    >>

    > [...]
    >>
    >> > This could be great news for the Linux community as that might be the
    >> > proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

    >>
    >> news:comp.os.linux.advocacy is over there.

    >
    > Bill, since you are wanting to AVOID the dimwits that post nonsense then I
    > advise AGAINST going to any .advocacy news group. The comp.os.linux.advocacy
    > group is mostly trolls and those who like USENET flame wars.


    That's a fair description, and I usually ignore anything crossposted
    to a *.advocacy newsgroup.

    > Keep on posting
    > your Linux news here


    Why? It's Microsoft news, not Linux news.

    > or in comp.os.linux.misc (if it is *real* news).


    It's still not Linux news.

    > Anyone
    > that has a clue will NEVER see your post if you use a .advocacy group.


    The readers of the *.advocacy group will presumably see it.

    > It is not a crime to be pro-Linux in a Linux newsgroup.


    Nobody said it was.

    > Just be aware the
    > various self-appointed net nannies and net cops will whine at you if it
    > does not fit their idea of a "proper post".


    Am I a net nanny, a net cop or both?


    --
    PJR :-)



  7. Re: Good news for Linux.

    Bill wrote:

    >A friend of mine told me he had heard that M$ was going to stop shipping
    >OEM XP and stop even supporting it in an attempt to force people to have
    >Vista on their new machines.
    >This could be great news for the Linux community as that might be the
    >proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.



    Too bad Linux isn't quite ready. Still too much use of the command
    line for the average user.



  8. Re: Good news for Linux.

    Todd illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Bill wrote:
    >
    >>A friend of mine told me he had heard that M$ was going to stop shipping
    >>OEM XP and stop even supporting it in an attempt to force people to have
    >>Vista on their new machines.
    >>This could be great news for the Linux community as that might be the
    >>proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

    >
    >
    > Too bad Linux isn't quite ready. Still too much use of the command
    > line for the average user.


    Ooooh....another entrant for the troll of the week competition.

    Troll-O-Meter

    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

    *----+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+-----*
    .^.
    / | \
    |

    Must try harder.

    --
    Moog

    “Are you going to come quietly, or do I have to use earplugs?”

  9. Re: Good news for Linux.

    Todd wrote:

    > Too bad Linux isn't quite ready.


    It was "ready" five years ago.

    > Still too much use of the command
    > line for the average user.


    The "average user" need *never* go near the command line. You're roughly 8
    years behind the times.

    C.

  10. Re: Good news for Linux.


    "Todd" wrote in message
    news:73635413ut6log7dpogdd2jjlftb5tvqem@4ax.com...
    > Bill wrote:
    >
    >>A friend of mine told me he had heard that M$ was going to stop shipping
    >>OEM XP and stop even supporting it in an attempt to force people to have
    >>Vista on their new machines.
    >>This could be great news for the Linux community as that might be the
    >>proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

    >
    >
    > Too bad Linux isn't quite ready. Still too much use of the command
    > line for the average user.


    Linux is plenty read. They are shipping more Linux now than ever before.
    You should go to the Vista group and help them get Vista ready.



  11. Re: Good news for Linux.

    Christopher Hunter wrote:
    > Todd wrote:
    >
    >> Too bad Linux isn't quite ready.

    >
    > It was "ready" five years ago.



    Unlike, er, Ubuntu, which wasn't ready until just under four years ago...

    --
    JimP

  12. Re: Good news for Linux.

    Jim Price wrote:
    > Christopher Hunter wrote:
    >> Todd wrote:
    >>
    >>> Too bad Linux isn't quite ready.

    >>
    >> It was "ready" five years ago.

    >
    >
    > Unlike, er, Ubuntu, which wasn't ready until just under four years ago...
    >


    And?

  13. Re: Good news for Linux.

    In <6bdk5vF3aejpfU5@mid.individual.net> Moog:

    [Snip...]

    > Ooooh....another entrant for the troll of the week competition.


    Ooooh....another entrant for the troll of the weAk competition.
    ^
    Fixed your post for you --------------------------|

    --
    Regards, Weird (Harold Stevens) * IMPORTANT EMAIL INFO FOLLOWS *
    Pardon any bogus email addresses (wookie) in place for spambots.
    Really, it's (wyrd) at airmail, dotted with net. DO NOT SPAM IT.
    I toss GoogleGroup posts from gitgo (http://improve-usenet.org).

  14. Re: Good news for Linux.

    ERACC wrote:
    > On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 15:33:14 +0000 (UTC)
    > Peter J Ross wrote:
    >
    >> In alt.os.linux.ubuntu on Thu, 12 Jun 2008 07:40:08 -0700, Bill
    >> wrote:
    >>

    > [...]
    >>> This could be great news for the Linux community as that might be the
    >>> proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

    >> news:comp.os.linux.advocacy is over there.

    >
    > Bill, since you are wanting to AVOID the dimwits that post nonsense then I
    > advise AGAINST going to any .advocacy news group. The comp.os.linux.advocacy
    > group is mostly trolls and those who like USENET flame wars. Keep on posting
    > your Linux news here or in comp.os.linux.misc (if it is *real* news). Anyone
    > that has a clue will NEVER see your post if you use a .advocacy group.
    >
    > It is not a crime to be pro-Linux in a Linux newsgroup. Just be aware the
    > various self-appointed net nannies and net cops will whine at you if it
    > does not fit their idea of a "proper post".
    >
    > Gene (e-mail: usenet0 \a\t eracc \d\o\t com)
    > blog.eracc.com latest article: http://preview.tinyurl.com/6qa5qr
    > 'What is Spring Football?'


    I can do better than that. I just read that people are upgrading from
    Vista back to XP, and that a fair number of people are moving to Linux,
    Ubuntu in particular. M$ seems to be getting pretty good at shooting
    themselves in the foot. The magazines I am reading are not available to
    the general public as they are for engineers and scientists only by
    invite and profession.
    If I posted links, they would be associated with my name, so don't
    expect me to get stupid to prove a point.
    Bill Baka

  15. Re: Good news for Linux.

    Canuck57 wrote:
    > "Todd" wrote in message
    > news:73635413ut6log7dpogdd2jjlftb5tvqem@4ax.com...
    >> Bill wrote:
    >>
    >>> A friend of mine told me he had heard that M$ was going to stop shipping
    >>> OEM XP and stop even supporting it in an attempt to force people to have
    >>> Vista on their new machines.
    >>> This could be great news for the Linux community as that might be the
    >>> proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

    >>
    >> Too bad Linux isn't quite ready. Still too much use of the command
    >> line for the average user.

    >
    > Linux is plenty read. They are shipping more Linux now than ever before.
    > You should go to the Vista group and help them get Vista ready.
    >
    >

    Whether anybody wants to believe what I post is not relevant to me since
    there are naysayers on just about any group. I read an article today
    that ran through the steps to set up a computer or even laptop to dual
    boot either XP or UBUNTU. Once a competent person sets it up the user
    can happily use Linux, or if desperate for a windows app, boot into it
    long enough to do the deed. Ubuntu was mentioned as THE choice for
    newbies and little old ladies.
    Even if I posted the magazine URLs somebody here would probably say I
    faked it somehow.
    The tide is turning against M$, even if slowing.
    Bill Baka

  16. Re: Good news for Linux.

    On 2008-06-13, Bill wrote:
    > ERACC wrote:
    >> On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 15:33:14 +0000 (UTC)
    >> Peter J Ross wrote:
    >>
    >>> In alt.os.linux.ubuntu on Thu, 12 Jun 2008 07:40:08 -0700, Bill
    >>> wrote:
    >>>

    >> [...]
    >>>> This could be great news for the Linux community as that might be the
    >>>> proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.
    >>> news:comp.os.linux.advocacy is over there.

    >>
    >> Bill, since you are wanting to AVOID the dimwits that post nonsense then I
    >> advise AGAINST going to any .advocacy news group. The comp.os.linux.advocacy
    >> group is mostly trolls and those who like USENET flame wars. Keep on posting
    >> your Linux news here or in comp.os.linux.misc (if it is *real* news). Anyone
    >> that has a clue will NEVER see your post if you use a .advocacy group.
    >>
    >> It is not a crime to be pro-Linux in a Linux newsgroup. Just be aware the
    >> various self-appointed net nannies and net cops will whine at you if it
    >> does not fit their idea of a "proper post".
    >>
    >> Gene (e-mail: usenet0 \a\t eracc \d\o\t com)
    >> blog.eracc.com latest article: http://preview.tinyurl.com/6qa5qr
    >> 'What is Spring Football?'

    >
    > I can do better than that. I just read that people are upgrading from
    > Vista back to XP, and that a fair number of people are moving to Linux,


    Do you have any references or statistics on this? Not meant as a
    challenge, but just out of curiosity - e.g., it'd be interesting to see
    what "fair number" translates to in approximate percentage value. Of
    course, if this % becomes significant (say 10+), it will undoubtedly
    start making it to mainstream news media (I can imagine a headline like:
    "Microsoft financial health threatened by increasing Linux sales." - It
    could possibly happen some day.).

    > Ubuntu in particular. M$ seems to be getting pretty good at shooting
    > themselves in the foot. The magazines I am reading are not available to
    > the general public as they are for engineers and scientists only by
    > invite and profession.
    > If I posted links, they would be associated with my name, so don't
    > expect me to get stupid to prove a point.
    > Bill Baka



    --


  17. Re: Good news for Linux.

    On 2008-06-12, Todd wrote:
    > Bill wrote:
    >
    >>A friend of mine told me he had heard that M$ was going to stop shipping
    >>OEM XP and stop even supporting it in an attempt to force people to have
    >>Vista on their new machines.
    >>This could be great news for the Linux community as that might be the
    >>proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

    >
    >
    > Too bad Linux isn't quite ready. Still too much use of the command
    > line for the average user.
    >
    >


    The average user needs to educate themselves. I found Windows less
    and less usable as they attempted to eliminate more and more of the
    tasks done at the command line...


    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    "Hate is baggage, life is too short to go around pissed off all the
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  18. Re: Good news for Linux.

    Jim Cochrane wrote:
    > On 2008-06-13, Bill wrote:
    >> ERACC wrote:
    >>> On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 15:33:14 +0000 (UTC)
    >>> Peter J Ross wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> In alt.os.linux.ubuntu on Thu, 12 Jun 2008 07:40:08 -0700, Bill
    >>>> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>> [...]
    >>>>> This could be great news for the Linux community as that might be the
    >>>>> proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.
    >>>> news:comp.os.linux.advocacy is over there.
    >>> Bill, since you are wanting to AVOID the dimwits that post nonsense then I
    >>> advise AGAINST going to any .advocacy news group. The comp.os.linux.advocacy
    >>> group is mostly trolls and those who like USENET flame wars. Keep on posting
    >>> your Linux news here or in comp.os.linux.misc (if it is *real* news). Anyone
    >>> that has a clue will NEVER see your post if you use a .advocacy group.
    >>>
    >>> It is not a crime to be pro-Linux in a Linux newsgroup. Just be aware the
    >>> various self-appointed net nannies and net cops will whine at you if it
    >>> does not fit their idea of a "proper post".
    >>>
    >>> Gene (e-mail: usenet0 \a\t eracc \d\o\t com)
    >>> blog.eracc.com latest article: http://preview.tinyurl.com/6qa5qr
    >>> 'What is Spring Football?'

    >> I can do better than that. I just read that people are upgrading from
    >> Vista back to XP, and that a fair number of people are moving to Linux,

    >
    > Do you have any references or statistics on this? Not meant as a
    > challenge, but just out of curiosity - e.g., it'd be interesting to see
    > what "fair number" translates to in approximate percentage value. Of
    > course, if this % becomes significant (say 10+), it will undoubtedly
    > start making it to mainstream news media (I can imagine a headline like:
    > "Microsoft financial health threatened by increasing Linux sales." - It
    > could possibly happen some day.).


    You asked for it, so here is a list of the ones I have right now.
    They are not all software, but when any of them talks about it, it is
    bad M$, and good Linux. Embedded design is going more to linux, because
    who in the hell wants windows, CE or not, running their washing machine?
    Here goes the list (partial).
    Microwave Journal, www.mwjournal.com.
    CRN, about building custom systems, comes bundled with another mag.
    Information Week, informationweek.com
    Software test and performance, www.stpmag.com.
    EDN, www.edn.com
    ECN, www.ecnmag.com
    Product design and development, www.pdnet.com
    Electronic Products, electronicproducts.com
    Dr. Dobb's Journal, www.ddj.com
    Eweek, www.eweek.com
    Electronic Engineering Times, www.eetimes.com
    CRN, www.crn.com
    NASA Tech Briefs, www.techbriefs.com
    Power Electronics, www.powerelectronics.com
    Drug Discovery news, www.drugdiscoverynews.com
    R&D, www.omeda.com
    Wireless design and Development, wirelessdesignmag.com
    Drug Discovery & Development, www.dddmag.com
    Lightwave, www.lightwaveonline.com
    Medical Design Technology, www.mdtmag.com
    Aerospace Engineering, aero-online.org
    NetworkWorld, www.networkworld.com
    Scientific Computing, scientificcomputing.com
    Defense Tech Briefs, www.defensetechbriefs.com
    Evaluation Engineering, www.evaluationengineering.com
    Embedded Systems Design, www.embedded.com
    Military & Aerospace Electronics, www.milaero.com
    I have more but I don't feel like digging them out or typing the whole
    list. Between trying to keep up with reading them and the e-mail alerts
    they send me, I have to squeeze out some time for me, and for some work
    once in a while. Don't complain about wasted space, since I am only
    answering your request. I'm into a hell of a lot more than just playing
    Linux.
    Oh, I forgot, somebody thinks I'm sub-Mensa, ROTFLMAO.
    Try some of those links but do not mention my name since I have been
    published in some of them.
    Now that I dug them out, I found one that needs renewal, so this wasn't
    a totally wasted time for me.
    See ya,
    Bill Baka
    President, Baka Engineering Services.
    >
    >> Ubuntu in particular. M$ seems to be getting pretty good at shooting
    >> themselves in the foot. The magazines I am reading are not available to
    >> the general public as they are for engineers and scientists only by
    >> invite and profession.
    >> If I posted links, they would be associated with my name, so don't
    >> expect me to get stupid to prove a point.
    >> Bill Baka

    >
    >


  19. Re: Good news for Linux.

    Joe wrote:
    > On 2008-06-12, Todd wrote:
    >> Bill wrote:
    >>
    >>> A friend of mine told me he had heard that M$ was going to stop shipping
    >>> OEM XP and stop even supporting it in an attempt to force people to have
    >>> Vista on their new machines.
    >>> This could be great news for the Linux community as that might be the
    >>> proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

    >>
    >> Too bad Linux isn't quite ready. Still too much use of the command
    >> line for the average user.
    >>
    >>

    >
    > The average user needs to educate themselves. I found Windows less
    > and less usable as they attempted to eliminate more and more of the
    > tasks done at the command line...
    >
    >

    I'm with you on that. I was pissed off from day one when I had to use
    windows at work (3.1), and ducked into DOS command line and wrote a
    batch file when I had to have something work my way and not the windows
    way. Programming huge projects under windows tended to screw up so we
    made batch files that called other batch files to do a compile, make,
    update, etc. Windows has, at best, a few command line utilities that
    work. Ipconfig, Ftp, etc. It's my computer and I want control, period.
    Bill Baka (heading off to bed).

  20. Re: Good news for Linux.

    On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 17:25:45 -0700, Bill wrote:

    > there are naysayers on just about any group. I read an article today
    > that ran through the steps to set up a computer or even laptop to dual
    > boot either XP or UBUNTU.


    Ummm.....one of the current choices is to install Ubuntu as a Windows
    program.....which I did and am quite happy with that arrangement.

    > Once a competent person sets it up the user
    > can happily use Linux,


    One could say that about any of the OS's/variants that have appeared over
    the years.

    > or if desperate for a windows app, boot into it
    > long enough to do the deed.


    No need for desperation to implement the use of alternative
    tools...mainly, as is the case with a lot of tool (ie coffee maker,
    wrenches, hammers, modes of transportation etc) utilization is what the
    user deems as the appropriate choice for *them*....it is often bandied
    about that "linux is about choice" and IMHO, the legitimacy of that
    stance has been strengthened by the inclusion of the Wubi installation
    feature.

    > Ubuntu was mentioned as THE choice for
    > newbies and little old ladies.


    Can't say I agree with this but to each his own....

    > Even if I posted the magazine URLs somebody here would probably say I
    > faked it somehow.


    Bill, from reading your previous messages on this subject, it's old news
    and information is readily available on this topic from numerous sources;
    including the Microsoft site where the proceedure for downgrading (or
    upgrading depending on one's perspective) XP from Vista is clearly
    outlined and readily offered by Microsoft.

    From what I gather most of the bones of contention with Vista are from
    rascals who have become extremely comfortable using XP and can't be
    bothered with the learning curve involved when utilizing a new OS.
    Another bone of contention is the constant nagging by the UAC......which
    actually brings us back to the "little old ladies" comment; not much
    difference between the UAC and the "sudo this, sudo that" nagging in
    Linux, IMHO.....but again, to each his own.
    From what I see right now with Vista, it's going through the usual
    problems associated with the release of a new OS....lack of drivers,
    learning curve, people trying to run it on old underpowered systems,
    coding farts etc etc; no real big difference than pretty much any other
    release that has been put out over the years.

    > The tide is turning against M$, even if slowing. Bill Baka


    In the long run, so what? "The king is dead, long live the king"....even
    if Linux does become the defacto OS, one day it too will die. Nature of
    the beast, history tells us....etc etc. :-)


+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast