Good news for Linux. - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Good news for Linux. - Ubuntu ; propman wrote: > On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 17:25:45 -0700, Bill wrote: > >> there are naysayers on just about any group. I read an article today >> that ran through the steps to set up a computer or even ...

  1. Re: Good news for Linux.

    propman wrote:
    > On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 17:25:45 -0700, Bill wrote:
    >
    >> there are naysayers on just about any group. I read an article today
    >> that ran through the steps to set up a computer or even laptop to dual
    >> boot either XP or UBUNTU.

    > Ummm.....one of the current choices is to install Ubuntu as a Windows
    > program.....which I did and am quite happy with that arrangement.

    It seems like it would be safer the other way around. If winders crashes
    then it could kill the Ubuntu.

    >> Once a competent person sets it up the user
    >> can happily use Linux,

    > One could say that about any of the OS's/variants that have appeared over
    > the years.

    True. Even my old OS/2 was a dream once I worked out the kinks, err,
    differences.

    >> or if desperate for a windows app, boot into it
    >> long enough to do the deed.

    > No need for desperation to implement the use of alternative
    > tools...mainly, as is the case with a lot of tool (ie coffee maker,
    > wrenches, hammers, modes of transportation etc) utilization is what the
    > user deems as the appropriate choice for *them*....it is often bandied
    > about that "linux is about choice" and IMHO, the legitimacy of that
    > stance has been strengthened by the inclusion of the Wubi installation
    > feature.

    I know since I have Wubi, but haven't had time to fully figure it out.
    Too much on my plate.

    >> Ubuntu was mentioned as THE choice for
    >> newbies and little old ladies.

    > Can't say I agree with this but to each his own....

    That's a semi quote from what I read. It seems Ubuntu is the system of
    choice for new computer users. Some grade schools are teaching their
    students to use Linux and not windows. I'll bet Gates is pissed that
    when they grow up and look for work they will want Linux and not M$ junk.

    >> Even if I posted the magazine URLs somebody here would probably say I
    >> faked it somehow.

    > Bill, from reading your previous messages on this subject, it's old news
    > and information is readily available on this topic from numerous sources;
    > including the Microsoft site where the proceedure for downgrading (or
    > upgrading depending on one's perspective) XP from Vista is clearly
    > outlined and readily offered by Microsoft.
    >
    > From what I gather most of the bones of contention with Vista are from
    > rascals who have become extremely comfortable using XP and can't be
    > bothered with the learning curve involved when utilizing a new OS.

    What I have been hearing is the same as always, it makes a fast computer
    crawl. I won't buy it to find out and my computer literate friends
    aren't either.

    > Another bone of contention is the constant nagging by the UAC......which
    > actually brings us back to the "little old ladies" comment; not much
    > difference between the UAC and the "sudo this, sudo that" nagging in
    > Linux, IMHO.....but again, to each his own.

    Not much harder than DOS commands that you could add parameters to.
    DIR /s/p, or whatever display you wanted.

    > From what I see right now with Vista, it's going through the usual
    > problems associated with the release of a new OS....lack of drivers,
    > learning curve, people trying to run it on old underpowered systems,

    So my 3 year old system is now junk and I have to spend the better part
    of a grand to get a fast enough mother board, CPU, PCI-X boards, and GHz
    memory?
    No thanks.

    > coding farts etc etc; no real big difference than pretty much any other
    > release that has been put out over the years.
    >
    >> The tide is turning against M$, even if slowing. Bill Baka

    > In the long run, so what? "The king is dead, long live the king"....even
    > if Linux does become the defacto OS, one day it too will die. Nature of
    > the beast, history tells us....etc etc. :-)

    That is the nature of life, die and make room for the new generation.
    Just for laughs, I formatted my boot partition as 1.5GB FAT16, and put
    DOS and windows 3.1 on it. When I run that, it is so fast it is
    ridiculous. I only put it on so I could use Borland C++ 3.1 and GWbasic
    for some quickie programs, but wow, I wish it was that fast when it was
    the standard.
    Bill Baka

  2. Re: Good news for Linux.

    On 2008-06-13, propman wrote:
    > On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 17:25:45 -0700, Bill wrote:
    >
    >> there are naysayers on just about any group. I read an article today
    >> that ran through the steps to set up a computer or even laptop to dual
    >> boot either XP or UBUNTU.

    > Ummm.....one of the current choices is to install Ubuntu as a Windows
    > program.....which I did and am quite happy with that arrangement.
    >
    >> Once a competent person sets it up the user
    >> can happily use Linux,

    > One could say that about any of the OS's/variants that have appeared over
    > the years.

    You're over-generalizing - Try setting up, e.g., AIX (IBM UNIX) and see
    if the typical Windows user can deal with it without crying. :-)

    --

  3. Re: Good news for Linux.

    On 2008-06-13, Bill wrote:
    > Jim Cochrane wrote:

    >>> I can do better than that. I just read that people are upgrading from
    >>> Vista back to XP, and that a fair number of people are moving to Linux,

    >> Do you have any references or statistics on this? Not meant as a
    >> challenge, but just out of curiosity - e.g., it'd be interesting to see
    >> what "fair number" translates to in approximate percentage value. Of
    >> course, if this % becomes significant (say 10+), it will undoubtedly
    >> start making it to mainstream news media (I can imagine a headline like:
    >> "Microsoft financial health threatened by increasing Linux sales." - It
    >> could possibly happen some day.).

    > You asked for it, so here is a list of the ones I have right now.

    I did, indeed - Thanks.

    > They are not all software, but when any of them talks about it, it is
    > bad M$, and good Linux. Embedded design is going more to linux, because
    > who in the hell wants windows, CE or not, running their washing machine?
    > Here goes the list (partial).
    > Microwave Journal, www.mwjournal.com.
    > CRN, about building custom systems, comes bundled with another mag.
    > Information Week, informationweek.com
    > Software test and performance, www.stpmag.com.
    > EDN, www.edn.com
    > ECN, www.ecnmag.com
    > Product design and development, www.pdnet.com

    25 - 30 references - That will do fine :-)

    It'd take a lot of work to take these URLs, do the needed
    searching/research, and turn them into statistics - work for a good IT
    journalist, I'd say (not me). But I'll save them for reference and
    maybe check out a few. (Here's one example from a search at www.edn.com:

    Linux is de facto OS for TV set-top boxes
    Source: Electronics Weekly | Date: Mar 22, 2007

    ....Services... About Us Linux is de facto OS for TV set-top boxes Staff
    Reporter...digital TV software, has released a Linux version of its
    Sunrise, Voyager...Bristol, England-based company, Linux is emerging as
    the preferred platform...
    http://www.edn.com/article/CA6426925.html?ref=nbsa&q=
    [
    http://www.edn.com/article/CA6426925...&text=linux+tv
    ]

    )

    --

  4. Re: Good news for Linux.

    "Canuck57" wrote in message

    > Linux is plenty read. They are shipping more Linux now than ever before.
    > You should go to the Vista group and help them get Vista ready.

    Like you do with your repeated accounts of how you are too stupid to get a
    simple OS like vista working?

  5. Re: Good news for Linux.

    "Bill" wrote in message
    >A friend of mine told me he had heard that M$ was going to stop shipping
    >OEM XP and stop even supporting it in an attempt to force people to have
    >Vista on their new machines.
    > This could be great news for the Linux community as that might be the
    > proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.
    > Bill Baka

    Why? Vista is miles ahead of linsux. You linsuckians will never work
    together long enough to ever make a dent in the computer world. And .6%
    isn't a dent. What a fool you are.

  6. Re: Good news for Linux.

    WhoKnew wrote:
    > "Bill" wrote in message
    >> A friend of mine told me he had heard that M$ was going to stop shipping
    >> OEM XP and stop even supporting it in an attempt to force people to have
    >> Vista on their new machines.
    >> This could be great news for the Linux community as that might be the
    >> proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.
    >> Bill Baka

    > Why? Vista is miles ahead of linsux.

    Yet you're posting from XP.

    > You linsuckians will never work
    > together long enough to ever make a dent in the computer world. And .6%
    > isn't a dent. What a fool you are.

    No, chum, you're the fool. Now shouldn't you be updating your AV, anti
    malware apps and doing a defrag?

    Alias

  7. Re: Good news for Linux.

    Alias wrote:
    > WhoKnew wrote:
    >> "Bill" wrote in message
    >>> This could be great news for the Linux community as that might be the
    >>> proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.
    >>> Bill Baka

    >> Why? Vista is miles ahead of linsux.

    > Yet you're posting from XP.

    Read the message code and header and you will see that I am, in fact, in
    Ubuntu right now and don't post from Winsux (your language, not mine).

    >> You linsuckians will never work together long enough to ever make a
    >> dent in the computer world. And .6% isn't a dent. What a fool you are.

    > No, chum, you're the fool. Now shouldn't you be updating your AV, anti
    > malware apps and doing a defrag?
    >
    > Alias

    Yawn, flame wars again.
    Bill Baka

  8. Re: Good news for Linux.

    On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 06:04:13 -0700, Bill wrote:

    >> No, chum, you're the fool. Now shouldn't you be updating your AV, anti
    >> malware apps and doing a defrag?

    > Yawn, flame wars again.

    Must be just a coincidence that your posts/threads always end up that way,
    eh?

    Bugger off, troll.

    Now filtering out all posts originating from Google Groups.

  9. Re: Good news for Linux.

    WhoKnew wrote:

    > Why? Vista is miles ahead of linsux. You linsuckians will never work
    > together long enough to ever make a dent in the computer world. And .6%
    > isn't a dent. What a fool you are.

    Hahahaha, what an idiot!

  10. Re: Good news for Linux.

    Harold Stevens illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > In <6bdk5vF3aejpfU5@mid.individual.net> Moog:
    >
    > [Snip...]
    >
    >> Ooooh....another entrant for the troll of the week competition.

    > Ooooh....another entrant for the troll of the weAk competition.
    > ^
    > Fixed your post for you --------------------------|

    Bugger. How could I have missed such an obvious spleling mishctake?

    --
    Moog

    “Are you going to come quietly, or do I have to use earplugs?”

  11. Re: Good news for Linux.

    Bill wrote:
    > Alias wrote:
    >> WhoKnew wrote:
    >>> "Bill" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Why? Vista is miles ahead of linsux.

    >> Yet you're posting from XP.

    > Read the message code and header and you will see that I am, in fact, in
    > Ubuntu right now and don't post from Winsux (your language, not mine).

    I wasn't replying to you.

    >>> You linsuckians will never work together long enough to ever make a
    >>> dent in the computer world. And .6% isn't a dent. What a fool you are.

    >> No, chum, you're the fool. Now shouldn't you be updating your AV, anti
    >> malware apps and doing a defrag?
    >>
    >> Alias

    > Yawn, flame wars again.
    > Bill Baka

    Yawn, Bill doesn't know who replies to him again.

    Alias

  12. Re: Good news for Linux.

    Bill wrote:
    > Alias wrote:
    >> WhoKnew wrote:
    >>> "Bill" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Why? Vista is miles ahead of linsux.

    >> Yet you're posting from XP.

    > Read the message code and header and you will see that I am, in fact,
    > in Ubuntu right now and don't post from Winsux (your language, not mine).

    The "fact" is: you didn't read the message carefully, and then assumed
    incorrectly that Alias replied his message to you, when it actually was
    a reply to WhoKnew.

    >>> You linsuckians will never work together long enough to ever make a
    >>> dent in the computer world. And .6% isn't a dent. What a fool you are.

    >> No, chum, you're the fool. Now shouldn't you be updating your AV,
    >> anti malware apps and doing a defrag?
    >>
    >> Alias

    > Yawn, flame wars again.

    Then I'd suggest you not pour flammable words when it is obvious you
    made a boo-boo.

    --
    John

  13. Re: Good news for Linux.

    "Bill" wrote in message
    > ERACC wrote:
    >> On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 15:33:14 +0000 (UTC)
    >> Peter J Ross wrote:
    >>
    >>> In alt.os.linux.ubuntu on Thu, 12 Jun 2008 07:40:08 -0700, Bill
    >>> wrote:
    >>>

    >> [...]
    >>> news:comp.os.linux.advocacy is over there.

    >> Bill, since you are wanting to AVOID the dimwits that post nonsense then
    >> advise AGAINST going to any .advocacy news group. The
    >> comp.os.linux.advocacy
    >> group is mostly trolls and those who like USENET flame wars. Keep on
    >> posting
    >> your Linux news here or in comp.os.linux.misc (if it is *real* news).
    >> Anyone
    >> that has a clue will NEVER see your post if you use a .advocacy group.
    >>
    >> It is not a crime to be pro-Linux in a Linux newsgroup. Just be aware the
    >> various self-appointed net nannies and net cops will whine at you if it
    >> does not fit their idea of a "proper post".
    >>
    >> Gene (e-mail: usenet0 \a\t eracc \d\o\t com)
    >> blog.eracc.com latest article: http://preview.tinyurl.com/6qa5qr
    >> 'What is Spring Football?'

    > I can do better than that. I just read that people are upgrading from
    > Vista back to XP, and that a fair number of people are moving to Linux,
    > Ubuntu in particular. M$ seems to be getting pretty good at shooting
    > themselves in the foot. The magazines I am reading are not available to
    > the general public as they are for engineers and scientists only by invite
    > and profession.
    > If I posted links, they would be associated with my name, so don't expect
    > me to get stupid to prove a point.
    > Bill Baka

    You don't need to is right. Let the Microsoft fanboys stay in the dark and
    wake up one day to find they are on sinking ship that has seen batter days.
    Just read this article:

    http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/...me=061308linux

    Looks like Wall Street is Linux. Go figure.

    -------
    MS-Windows for boys, X-Windows for men

  14. Re: Good news for Linux.

    "propman" wrote in message
    > On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 17:25:45 -0700, Bill wrote:

    >> The tide is turning against M$, even if slowing. Bill Baka

    > In the long run, so what? "The king is dead, long live the king"....even
    > if Linux does become the defacto OS, one day it too will die. Nature of
    > the beast, history tells us....etc etc. :-)

    Quite true, someday Linux as we know it may die. But I suspect with Linux,
    unlike MS-DOS, RSX, MVS, TSO, Multics, CPM and others that evolution and
    morphing is the future path. That is, Linux will constantly evolving.

  15. Re: Good news for Linux.

    "dennis@home" wrote in message

    > "Canuck57" wrote in message
    >

    >> Linux is plenty read. They are shipping more Linux now than ever before.
    >> You should go to the Vista group and help them get Vista ready.
    >>

    > Like you do with your repeated accounts of how you are too stupid to get a
    > simple OS like vista working?

    Every MVP (Microsoft Vista Pusher) in the Vista group blames the user or the
    hardware. But say it is so simple to get Vista working properly.... LOL.

  16. Re: Good news for Linux.

    "WhoKnew" wrote in message

    > "Bill" wrote in message
    >>A friend of mine told me he had heard that M$ was going to stop shipping
    >>OEM XP and stop even supporting it in an attempt to force people to have
    >>Vista on their new machines.
    >> This could be great news for the Linux community as that might be the
    >> proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.
    >> Bill Baka

    > Why? Vista is miles ahead of linsux. You linsuckians will never work
    > together long enough to ever make a dent in the computer world. And .6%
    > isn't a dent. What a fool you are.

    MS-Troll. Vista is far behind Ubuntu big time.

    Ubuntu menus are cleaner, better organized and not complex.

    Ubuntu disk and network performance makes Vista look like a constipated
    snail on a cold winter day.

    Ubuntu works with more devices than Vista, including older ones.

    Ubuntu has one superior version and not the class based Vista complexity.

    Ubuntu Compiz, you have to try it. Blows away Vista real bad. Bet MS will
    borrow/steal ideas for Win 7....

    Ubuntu is still in active development, Vista dead in maintenance mode as MS
    moves to Win 7.

    Ubuntu works well with other vendors, Vista only (marginally) works with
    Microsoft stuff.

    Ubuntu works with Apples better than Vista can.

    Ubuntu network is quiet and relatively error free, while Vista sends out
    some of the strangest stuff like BGP.

    Ubuntu GNU chess can beat the living crap out of Vista Titans chess.

    Ubuntu will not license nag ever, even if you load it on 30 machines, Vista
    is a bitter nag and more $$.

    What is not to like about Ubuntu/Linux? Here is the answer:

    It does not worship the Microsoft gorilla nor does it embrace RIAA DRM. Nor
    does Ubuntu have _NSAKEY for remote control of your PC. Does not employ as
    many people hours per PC to maintain. It does not make Ballmer/Gates
    richer. Does not come with adware and time bombed applications.

  17. Re: Good news for Linux.

    "Alias" wrote in message
    > WhoKnew wrote:
    >> "Bill" wrote in message
    >>> A friend of mine told me he had heard that M$ was going to stop shipping
    >>> OEM XP and stop even supporting it in an attempt to force people to have
    >>> Vista on their new machines.
    >>> This could be great news for the Linux community as that might be the
    >>> proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.
    >>> Bill Baka

    >> Why? Vista is miles ahead of linsux.

    > Yet you're posting from XP.

    Alias, good catch. He likes Vista so much, he uses XP - LOL.

    Before some clown hits me for posting this in XP, I run XP and Linux.
    Depends which machine I am using. Bet Microsoft is going to release
    XP-Classic, like Coke did.

    >> You linsuckians will never work together long enough to ever make a dent
    >> in the computer world. And .6% isn't a dent. What a fool you are.

    > No, chum, you're the fool. Now shouldn't you be updating your AV, anti
    > malware apps and doing a defrag?

    Good one too. But at least XP is old enough now to be semi-stable.

  18. Re: Good news for Linux.

    "Canuck57" wrote in message

    > "dennis@home" wrote in message
    >>

    >> "Canuck57" wrote in message
    >>

    >>> Linux is plenty read. They are shipping more Linux now than ever
    >>> before. You should go to the Vista group and help them get Vista ready.
    >>>

    >> Like you do with your repeated accounts of how you are too stupid to get
    >> a simple OS like vista working?

    > Every MVP (Microsoft Vista Pusher) in the Vista group blames the user or
    > the hardware. But say it is so simple to get Vista working properly....
    > LOL.

    You're the one that keeps saying its hard, I just installed it and use it.
    I think its easy, I think most linux distros are easy, I also think Solaris
    and unixware were easy to install, I have never tried installing an OS on a
    Mac but I expect it to be easy.

    There are about 80 million other user s that think its easy too.

    I still think its you, not that you can't do it but that you have never
    tried and just make it up.

  19. Re: Good news for Linux.

    > "Canuck57" wrote in message
    >>
    >> "dennis@home" wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> "Canuck57" wrote in message

    >>> Like you do with your repeated accounts of how you are too stupid to get
    >>> a simple OS like vista working?

    >> Every MVP (Microsoft Vista Pusher) in the Vista group blames the user or
    >> the hardware. But say it is so simple to get Vista working properly....
    >> LOL.
    >>

    > You're the one that keeps saying its hard, I just installed it and use it.
    > I think its easy, I think most linux distros are easy, I also think
    > Solaris and unixware were easy to install, I have never tried installing
    > an OS on a Mac but I expect it to be easy.
    >
    > There are about 80 million other user s that think its easy too.
    >
    > I still think its you, not that you can't do it but that you have never
    > tried and just make it up.

    I never said it was hard, but not as easy as Ubuntu perhaps. And Ubuntu is
    ready for prime time.

  20. Re: Good news for Linux.

    Canuck57 wrote:
    > "WhoKnew" wrote in message
    >> "Bill" wrote in message
    >>> A friend of mine told me he had heard that M$ was going to stop shipping
    >>> OEM XP and stop even supporting it in an attempt to force people to have
    >>> Vista on their new machines.
    >>> This could be great news for the Linux community as that might be the
    >>> proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.
    >>> Bill Baka

    >> Why? Vista is miles ahead of linsux. You linsuckians will never work
    >> together long enough to ever make a dent in the computer world. And .6%
    >> isn't a dent. What a fool you are.

    > MS-Troll. Vista is far behind Ubuntu big time.
    >
    > Ubuntu menus are cleaner, better organized and not complex.
    >
    > Ubuntu disk and network performance makes Vista look like a constipated
    > snail on a cold winter day.
    >
    > Ubuntu works with more devices than Vista, including older ones.
    >
    > Ubuntu has one superior version and not the class based Vista complexity.
    >
    > Ubuntu Compiz, you have to try it. Blows away Vista real bad. Bet MS will
    > borrow/steal ideas for Win 7....
    >
    > Ubuntu is still in active development, Vista dead in maintenance mode as MS
    > moves to Win 7.
    >
    > Ubuntu works well with other vendors, Vista only (marginally) works with
    > Microsoft stuff.
    >
    > Ubuntu works with Apples better than Vista can.
    >
    > Ubuntu network is quiet and relatively error free, while Vista sends out
    > some of the strangest stuff like BGP.
    >
    > Ubuntu GNU chess can beat the living crap out of Vista Titans chess.
    >
    > Ubuntu will not license nag ever, even if you load it on 30 machines, Vista
    > is a bitter nag and more $$.
    >
    > What is not to like about Ubuntu/Linux? Here is the answer:
    >
    > It does not worship the Microsoft gorilla nor does it embrace RIAA DRM. Nor
    > does Ubuntu have _NSAKEY for remote control of your PC. Does not employ as
    > many people hours per PC to maintain. It does not make Ballmer/Gates
    > richer. Does not come with adware and time bombed applications.

    http://www.caffeinecrazy.com/
    caver1