AVI to DVD Authoring software? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on AVI to DVD Authoring software? - Ubuntu ; Hello all Now I've got the latest Ubuntu up and working on my spare PC (And loving it!) is there free software that will turn an avi file into a dvd that will play on a normal standalone dvd player?...

  1. AVI to DVD Authoring software?

    Hello all

    Now I've got the latest Ubuntu up and working on my spare PC
    (And loving it!) is there free software that will turn an avi file into a
    dvd that will play on a normal standalone dvd player?

  2. Re: AVI to DVD Authoring software?

    On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 07:59:24 +0100, SJP wrote:

    > Hello all
    >
    > Now I've got the latest Ubuntu up and working on my spare PC
    > (And loving it!) is there free software that will turn an avi file into a
    > dvd that will play on a normal standalone dvd player?

    DeVeDe

    --
    Q: Want to lower petrol prices?
    A: Easy, just boycott BP & Esso

  3. Re: AVI to DVD Authoring software?

    SJP wrote:
    > Now I've got the latest Ubuntu up and working on my spare PC
    > (And loving it!) is there free software that will turn an avi file into a
    > dvd that will play on a normal standalone dvd player?

    I second Devede. But there are others, check here:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DVDAuthoring

    mplayer and ffmpeg can convert your avi to a dvd-compatible mpeg file if
    you're looking for something quick. In fact most of these other packages
    probably use mplayer or ffmpeg. Hell, even avidemux will do it.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  4. Re: AVI to DVD Authoring software?

    On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 07:59:24 +0100, SJP wrote:

    > Hello all
    >
    > Now I've got the latest Ubuntu up and working on my spare PC
    > (And loving it!) is there free software that will turn an avi file into a
    > dvd that will play on a normal standalone dvd player?

    I use AVIDemux and Varsha.

  5. Re: AVI to DVD Authoring software?

    On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 08:21:00 +0100, Trevor Best wrote:

    > On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 07:59:24 +0100, SJP wrote:
    >
    >> Hello all
    >>
    >> Now I've got the latest Ubuntu up and working on my spare PC
    >> (And loving it!) is there free software that will turn an avi file into
    >> a dvd that will play on a normal standalone dvd player?

    > DeVeDe

    WOW! Just checked DeVeDe out, thanks mucho.

  6. Re: AVI to DVD Authoring software?

    In alt.os.linux.ubuntu on Thu, 12 Jun 2008 13:37:26 -0400, Meat Plow
    wrote:

    > On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 08:21:00 +0100, Trevor Best wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 07:59:24 +0100, SJP wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello all
    >>>
    >>> Now I've got the latest Ubuntu up and working on my spare PC
    >>> (And loving it!) is there free software that will turn an avi file into
    >>> a dvd that will play on a normal standalone dvd player?

    >> DeVeDe

    > WOW! Just checked DeVeDe out, thanks mucho.

    I've used mplayer to convert the avi files and qdvdauthor to make a
    nice-looking DVD menu.

    http://www.mplayerhq.hu/
    http://qdvdauthor.sourceforge.net/

    (There are Ubuntu packages for both.)

    --
    PJR :-)

  7. Re: AVI to DVD Authoring software?

    On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 07:59:24 +0100, SJP wrote:

    > Hello all
    >
    > Now I've got the latest Ubuntu up and working on my spare PC
    > (And loving it!) is there free software that will turn an avi file into a
    > dvd that will play on a normal standalone dvd player?

    I have been dabbling in this myself for several months. After trying
    several GUI programs (DeVeDe, etc), I have settled on "tovid.org" and
    their suite of CLI tools.

    Go to tovid.org, and follow the link to "making a basic DVD." With a few
    very simple commands, you can create/transcode/author/burn a DVD with
    ease. As is often the case, once you learn a few simple CLI programs,
    they are easier to use than their GUI counterparts.

    --
    MarkA
    Keeper of Things Put There Only Just The Night Before

  8. Re: AVI to DVD Authoring software?

    On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 07:59:24 +0100, SJP wrote:

    > Now I've got the latest Ubuntu up and working on my spare PC
    > (And loving it!) is there free software that will turn an avi file into
    > a dvd that will play on a normal standalone dvd player?

    How about the other way around please? DVD -> AVI (XviD codec)? Thank
    you.

  9. Re: AVI to DVD Authoring software?

    On 2008-06-29, Dane Beko wrote:
    > On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 07:59:24 +0100, SJP wrote:
    >
    >> Now I've got the latest Ubuntu up and working on my spare PC
    >> (And loving it!) is there free software that will turn an avi file into
    >> a dvd that will play on a normal standalone dvd player?

    > How about the other way around please? DVD -> AVI (XviD codec)? Thank
    > you.

    Transcode. Rip the vobs off the DVD first.

  10. Re: AVI to DVD Authoring software?

    On 2008-06-29, Dane Beko wrote:
    > On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 07:59:24 +0100, SJP wrote:
    >
    >> Now I've got the latest Ubuntu up and working on my spare PC
    >> (And loving it!) is there free software that will turn an avi file into
    >> a dvd that will play on a normal standalone dvd player?

    > How about the other way around please? DVD -> AVI (XviD codec)? Thank
    > you.

    All to AVI, the name of the programme.

    Find it at http://www.shareup.com/dvd-to-avi.html Note the bit about it
    being cross platform

    Another

    http://www.shareup.com/dvd-to-avi.html

    Then again, Google is bursting with other options.

  11. Re: AVI to DVD Authoring software?

    On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 09:04:11 +0000, Gordon wrote:

    > Find it at http://www.shareup.com/dvd-to-avi.html Note the bit about it
    > being cross platform
    >
    > Another
    >
    > http://www.shareup.com/dvd-to-avi.html
    >
    > Then again, Google is bursting with other options.

    Are they all exactly the same link like yours above? ;-)

    --
    A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.

  12. Re: AVI to DVD Authoring software?

    On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 06:54:49 +0000, Dane Beko wrote:

    > On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 07:59:24 +0100, SJP wrote:
    >
    >> Now I've got the latest Ubuntu up and working on my spare PC (And loving
    >> it!) is there free software that will turn an avi file into a dvd that
    >> will play on a normal standalone dvd player?

    > How about the other way around please? DVD -> AVI (XviD codec)? Thank
    > you.

    DeVeDe.

    AVIDemux.

  13. Re: AVI to DVD Authoring software?

    Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 06:54:49 +0000, Dane Beko wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 07:59:24 +0100, SJP wrote:
    >>
    >>> Now I've got the latest Ubuntu up and working on my spare PC (And loving
    >>> it!) is there free software that will turn an avi file into a dvd that
    >>> will play on a normal standalone dvd player?

    >> How about the other way around please? DVD -> AVI (XviD codec)? Thank
    >> you.

    > DeVeDe.
    >
    > AVIDemux.

    There is that. I have done this just this past week for the first time. I
    use Kino in "Capture" mod to get the file off the Mini-DV tape and I export
    it as a DV AVI type 2. Now I could go directly to an MPEG2 *and* a WAV
    file for audio if I didn't want to edit with Cuinelerra first. Once you
    have the MPEG2 and WAV files, (two seperate files) generated, you
    open "k3b" which has some power behind it. When it opens you see a line of
    project types on the buttons. Look just below, and you'll see a long line
    that I had previously ignored. But it says, "Further Actions." Click on
    that and then select, "New Video DVD Project." You then put the MPEG2 file
    into the "VIDEO_TS" folder and the audio into the "AUDIO_TS" folder and
    burn the DVD.
    Now there is a prgram called "QDVDauthor" or something like that which will
    allow you to set up DVD menues and artwork and I think you need multiple
    MPEG@ files and WAV files for that, but I haven't used it and I'm not sure.
    It is doable, though and it's not hard once you know the procedure.
    --
    Peace,
    Fred

  14. Re: AVI to DVD Authoring software?

    On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 13:47:17 -0400, Fred wrote:

    > Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> How about the other way around please? DVD -> AVI (XviD codec)? Thank
    >>> you.

    >> DeVeDe.
    >>
    >> AVIDemux.

    > There is that. I have done this just this past week for the first
    > time. I
    > use Kino in "Capture" mod to get the file off the Mini-DV tape and I
    > export it as a DV AVI type 2. Now I could go directly to an MPEG2 *and* a
    > WAV file for audio if I didn't want to edit with Cuinelerra first. Once
    > you have the MPEG2 and WAV files, (two seperate files) generated, you open
    > "k3b" which has some power behind it. When it opens you see a line of
    > project types on the buttons. Look just below, and you'll see a long line
    > that I had previously ignored. But it says, "Further Actions." Click on
    > that and then select, "New Video DVD Project." You then put the MPEG2
    > file into the "VIDEO_TS" folder and the audio into the "AUDIO_TS" folder
    > and burn the DVD.
    > Now there is a prgram called "QDVDauthor" or something like that
    > which will
    > allow you to set up DVD menues and artwork and I think you need multiple
    > MPEG@ files and WAV files for that, but I haven't used it and I'm not
    > sure.
    > It is doable, though and it's not hard once you know the
    > procedure.

    Google -- Varsha. It is a Java client for authoring DVD. I've used it to
    make DVD movies from DV capture run through AVIDemux. I think however you
    can eliminate both and use grabdv from the command line 'dvgrab' to
    import. Then demux and transcode the DV file and create the disc structure
    including menus with DeVeDe. Then burn the resulting ISO file with K3B or
    Brasero.

    I've used various tools in XP to transcode XVID back to DVD and other
    transcoding/demuxing situations but DeVeDe blows them away with ease of
    use and quality.

  15. Re: AVI to DVD Authoring software?

    Dane Beko wrote:
    > On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 07:59:24 +0100, SJP wrote:
    >
    >> Now I've got the latest Ubuntu up and working on my spare PC
    >> (And loving it!) is there free software that will turn an avi file into
    >> a dvd that will play on a normal standalone dvd player?

    > How about the other way around please? DVD -> AVI (XviD codec)? Thank
    > you.

    k9copy does exactly this - in the repo

+ Reply to Thread