ZULU time - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on ZULU time - Ubuntu ; Ubuntu 8.04 GUI gives a wide selection of time zones - but I can't see a GMT option. How can I set my computer to Zulu/UTC time?...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

  1. ZULU time

    Ubuntu 8.04 GUI gives a wide selection of time zones - but I can't see a GMT
    option.

    How can I set my computer to Zulu/UTC time?

  2. Re: ZULU time

    Strobe wrote:
    > Ubuntu 8.04 GUI gives a wide selection of time zones - but I can't see
    > a GMT option.
    >
    > How can I set my computer to Zulu/UTC time?

    Ub 8.04 likes to do it by 'location' rather than timezone, which might
    seem a little awkward to some. But the prime meridian is Greenwich which
    can be considered Europe/ London.

    --
    Mike Easter

  3. Re: ZULU time

    On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 18:10:50 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:

    > Strobe wrote:
    >> Ubuntu 8.04 GUI gives a wide selection of time zones - but I can't see a
    >> GMT option.
    >>
    >> How can I set my computer to Zulu/UTC time?

    > Ub 8.04 likes to do it by 'location' rather than timezone, which might
    > seem a little awkward to some. But the prime meridian is Greenwich which
    > can be considered Europe/ London.

    Are you sure he wants to set his time zone to London or set the system
    clock to UTC and have the OS do an offset for where he is as opposed to
    setting the hardware clock to the timezome he's in. I would suspect he's
    about GMT-4

    There was an option about that during install but I haven't had cause to
    ever change it since.

    --
    Q: Want to lower petrol prices?
    A: Easy, just boycott BP & Esso

  4. Re: ZULU time

    On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 20:33:48 -0400, Strobe wrote:

    > Ubuntu 8.04 GUI gives a wide selection of time zones - but I can't see a
    > GMT option.
    >
    > How can I set my computer to Zulu/UTC time?

    Try the command

    tzselect

    After you answer the questions, the output will tell you how to set your
    profile.
    That might do the trick.

    stonerfish

  5. Re: ZULU time

    Strobe wrote:
    > Ubuntu 8.04 GUI gives a wide selection of time zones - but I can't see a GMT
    > option.
    >
    > How can I set my computer to Zulu/UTC time?

    If you do not have Windows on the computer, GMT/UTC/Z is preferred for a
    Unix-like OS. If you do have Windows, then local time is usually all
    Windows can properly handle.

    Start off by setting the computer's hardware clock in the BIOS to the
    correct GMT/UTC/Z. Or local time if you multi-boot with Windows.

    The Unix/Linux OS will then read the hardware clock and adjust the
    system clock -- the one it keeps in software -- to whatever time zone
    you prefer in the system settings. When you shut down, the system clock,
    including any adjustments, will be written back to the hardware clock in
    the hardware clock's original preferred time zone.

    IOW, the sloppy CMOS hardware clock is just used for a ball-park startup
    time until the Unix/Linux system can fetch and make adjustments to the
    system time to correct the CMOS drift.

    Get more info here:

    http://www.ntp.org

    http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Main/WebHome

    You should install the ntp package so your computer's system clock will
    be automatically adjusted to the correct time. This is important and
    will provide accuracy when checking logs and message headers. Having the
    wrong time is only acceptable if you are away from Earth, and not
    connected to any other computer over a network via wire or radio, and
    playing computer solitaire.

    You will never need to worry about time again. Not even when the silly
    governments play God, and do their leaping and falling every year.

    Here is info on ntp, but if available, you should use Synaptic to
    install it. This info is also provided by right-clicking the package
    name in Synaptic and choosing "Properties" and looking under the various
    tabs. However, that GUI display can't be shown here.

    john@ubuntu8.04:~$ apt-cache show ntp
    Package: ntp

    Architecture: i386
    Version: 1:4.2.4p4+dfsg-3ubuntu2
    Replaces: logcheck-database, ntp-refclock (<= 1:4.2.0a+stable-9ubuntu2),
    ntp-server, ntp-simple (<= 1:4.2.0a+stable-9ubuntu2)
    Provides: ntp-server
    Depends: adduser, libc6 (>= 2.7-1), libcap1, libreadline5 (>= 5.2),
    libssl0.9.8 (>= 0.9.8f-1), lsb-base (>= 3.0-3), netbase, sysv-rc (>=
    2.86.ds1-14.1ubuntu2)
    Recommends: perl
    Suggests: ntp-doc
    Conflicts: ntp-refclock (<= 1:4.2.0a+stable-9ubuntu2), ntp-server,
    ntp-simple (<= 1:4.2.0a+stable-9ubuntu2)
    Filename: pool/main/n/ntp/ntp_4.2.4p4+dfsg-3ubuntu2_i386.deb
    Size: 432044
    MD5sum: cf6cdfb742f399bb322b8e5c9e62e7ba
    SHA1: 46177ae62a444de4dc34d9a80865e86ee4f77160
    SHA256: cd4ff566d4cd6379157bfbc7c6d2e31e84a323d0d239705baf 5432f0e46bd2b5
    NTP, the Network Time Protocol, is used to keep computer clocks
    accurate by synchronizing them over the Internet or a local network,
    or by following an accurate hardware receiver that interprets GPS,
    DCF-77, NIST or similar time signals.

  6. Re: ZULU time

    Trevor Best wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >> Strobe wrote:
    >>
    >>> Ubuntu 8.04 GUI gives a wide selection of time zones - but I
    >>> can't see a GMT option.
    >>>
    >>> How can I set my computer to Zulu/UTC time?

    >> Ub 8.04 likes to do it by 'location' rather than timezone, which
    >> might seem a little awkward to some. But the prime meridian is
    >> Greenwich which can be considered Europe/ London.

    > Are you sure he wants to set his time zone to London or set the
    > system clock to UTC and have the OS do an offset for where he is
    > as opposed to setting the hardware clock to the timezome he's in.
    > I would suspect he's about GMT-4
    >
    > There was an option about that during install but I haven't had
    > cause to ever change it since.

    In general Unix sets the system clock to GMT and marks everything
    accordingly. For display it can then convert to local time.
    However Winders is not smart enough, and sets the clock to local
    time. For this reason Linux is setup to accept either clock system
    and do the necessary conversions when installed in a dual-boot
    setup.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  7. Re: ZULU time

    On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 10:20:31 -0400, CBFalconer wrote:

    > Trevor Best wrote:
    >> Mike Easter wrote:

    >>> Ub 8.04 likes to do it by 'location' rather than timezone, which might
    >>> seem a little awkward to some. But the prime meridian is Greenwich
    >>> which can be considered Europe/ London.

    >> Are you sure he wants to set his time zone to London or set the system
    >> clock to UTC and have the OS do an offset for where he is as opposed to
    >> setting the hardware clock to the timezome he's in. I would suspect
    >> he's about GMT-4
    >>
    >> There was an option about that during install but I haven't had cause
    >> to ever change it since.

    > In general Unix sets the system clock to GMT and marks everything
    > accordingly. For display it can then convert to local time. However
    > Winders is not smart enough, and sets the clock to local time. For this
    > reason Linux is setup to accept either clock system and do the necessary
    > conversions when installed in a dual-boot setup.

    You can change this setting in
    /etc/default/rcS

    stonerfish

  8. Re: ZULU time

    On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 20:33:48 -0400, Strobe wrote:

    > Ubuntu 8.04 GUI gives a wide selection of time zones - but I can't see a
    > GMT option.
    >
    > How can I set my computer to Zulu/UTC time?

    It'd be great if everyone on the planet would use GMT. Then 3:45 GMT
    would the be same no matter where one is located. The time zone map as
    it exists today is a tangle of zones not always demarcated by straight
    lines north/south. Then there are some places which refuse to adjust for
    daylight savings.

    GMT would sure keep it simple and less confusing.

    Franz Fripplfrappl

  9. Re: ZULU time

    franz fripplfrappl wrote:
    > On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 20:33:48 -0400, Strobe wrote:

    Notice the time stamp you attributed on Stobe's post. That is a perfectly
    acceptable way to express time, in localtime with timezone offset to UTC.

    > It'd be great if everyone on the planet would use GMT.

    In the first place, the GMT term is actually 'outmoded' in favor of UTC.

    In the second place, localtime 'means something'. It means something if
    something is 4 oclock in the afternoon or if it is 4 oclock in the morning
    localtime, whether you choose to express that as 04:00 or 16:00 or 4 AM or
    4 PM. When I express something as 22:00 UTC, my local timeofday effect
    (4am vs 4pm) is missing from my communication to someone in my same
    timezone.

    > Then 3:45 GMT
    > would the be same no matter where one is located.

    That method of expressing time you used above is improper/noncompliant;
    and 03:45 UTC *IS* the same no matter where one is located.

    > The time zone map as
    > it exists today is a tangle of zones not always demarcated by straight
    > lines north/south. Then there are some places which refuse to adjust
    > for daylight savings.

    People who are expressing time in 'mixed' company of people from all over
    the world should not use timezone letters to express their localtime.
    They should express their localtime with the correct offset for UTC, and
    they should do so compliantly, which your 3:45 GMT was not, just as the
    time stamp in the attribution line above.

    > GMT would sure keep it simple and less confusing.

    Forget about GMT, except for its historical significance and its
    'relationship' as a precedent to UTC and the fact that the term is often
    used 'in place of' to mean UTC.

    --
    Mike Easter

  10. Re: ZULU time

    In article ,
    Strobe wrote:

    > Ubuntu 8.04 GUI gives a wide selection of time zones - but I can't see a GMT
    > option.
    >
    > How can I set my computer to Zulu/UTC time?

    Tell it you're in Monrovia, Liberia. Its time zone is UTC+0.

    I see someone has suggested using London. That *almost* works, except
    the Brits observe daylight savings time. Liberia does not.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  11. Re: ZULU time

    In article ,
    "Mike Easter" wrote:
    > > It'd be great if everyone on the planet would use GMT.

    > In the first place, the GMT term is actually 'outmoded' in favor of UTC.
    >
    > In the second place, localtime 'means something'. It means something if
    > something is 4 oclock in the afternoon or if it is 4 oclock in the morning
    > localtime, whether you choose to express that as 04:00 or 16:00 or 4 AM or
    > 4 PM. When I express something as 22:00 UTC, my local timeofday effect
    > (4am vs 4pm) is missing from my communication to someone in my same
    > timezone.

    Someone in your time zone would presumably know whether 22:00 UTC is in
    the morning or the evening, because it is the same every day. There are
    enough fixed things in most people's lives, they would have plenty of
    references. E.g., they would know that they normally get off work at
    23:00 UTC, or 22:00 UTC if daylight savings time is in effect, so could
    easily relate your proposed event at 22:00 to that, and know it is in
    the late afternoon or early evening, depending on the season.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  12. Re: ZULU time

    Tim Smith wrote:
    > Strobe wrote:
    >
    >> Ubuntu 8.04 GUI gives a wide selection of time zones - but I
    >> can't see a GMT option.
    >>
    >> How can I set my computer to Zulu/UTC time?

    > Tell it you're in Monrovia, Liberia. Its time zone is UTC+0.
    >
    > I see someone has suggested using London. That *almost* works,
    > except the Brits observe daylight savings time. Liberia does not.

    That's because Liberia is near the equator. No need for daylight
    savings time.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  13. Re: ZULU time

    On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 20:23:33 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article ,
    > "Mike Easter" wrote:
    >> > It'd be great if everyone on the planet would use GMT.

    >> In the first place, the GMT term is actually 'outmoded' in favor of
    >> UTC.
    >>
    >> In the second place, localtime 'means something'. It means something
    >> if something is 4 oclock in the afternoon or if it is 4 oclock in the
    >> morning localtime, whether you choose to express that as 04:00 or 16:00
    >> or 4 AM or 4 PM. When I express something as 22:00 UTC, my local
    >> timeofday effect (4am vs 4pm) is missing from my communication to
    >> someone in my same timezone.

    > Someone in your time zone would presumably know whether 22:00 UTC is in
    > the morning or the evening, because it is the same every day. There are
    > enough fixed things in most people's lives, they would have plenty of
    > references. E.g., they would know that they normally get off work at
    > 23:00 UTC, or 22:00 UTC if daylight savings time is in effect, so could
    > easily relate your proposed event at 22:00 to that, and know it is in
    > the late afternoon or early evening, depending on the season.

    Even in the United States, we use Zulu for many scientific and military
    purposes that require synchronization across time zones. Using Z for
    other purposes would require amendment of a huge body of law and
    procedure, much of it based on the pre-tech (indeed, pre-human) prejudice
    against being abroad at night.

  14. Re: ZULU time

    On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 08:31:41 GMT, jellybean stonerfish
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 20:33:48 -0400, Strobe wrote:
    >
    >> Ubuntu 8.04 GUI gives a wide selection of time zones - but I can't see a
    >> GMT option.
    >>
    >> How can I set my computer to Zulu/UTC time?

    >Try the command
    >
    >tzselect
    >
    >After you answer the questions, the output will tell you how to set your
    >profile.
    >That might do the trick.

    Thank you.
    Tzselect didn't like 'GST' alone but seems to accept 'GST-0'.
    It looks like "TZ='GST-0'; exportTZ" will do what I want, since tzselect shows
    local and UTC time to be identical with that selection.

    Now, I'm off to find where Ubuntu keeps my profile and change it...

  15. Re: ZULU time

    On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 20:00:46 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Strobe wrote:
    >
    >> Ubuntu 8.04 GUI gives a wide selection of time zones - but I can't see a
    >> GMT option.
    >>
    >> How can I set my computer to Zulu/UTC time?

    > Tell it you're in Monrovia, Liberia. Its time zone is UTC+0.
    >
    > I see someone has suggested using London. That *almost* works, except the
    > Brits observe daylight savings time. Liberia does not.

    Only because the farmers want their point of ciderrr at 'afv pas' ten, ooh
    arrrr!

    --
    Q: Want to lower petrol prices?
    A: Easy, just boycott BP & Esso

  16. Re: ZULU time

    On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 02:50:10 -0400, Strobe wrote:

    > On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 08:31:41 GMT, jellybean stonerfish
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 20:33:48 -0400, Strobe wrote:
    >>
    >>> Ubuntu 8.04 GUI gives a wide selection of time zones - but I can't see
    >>> a GMT option.
    >>>
    >>> How can I set my computer to Zulu/UTC time?

    >>Try the command
    >>
    >>tzselect
    >>
    >>After you answer the questions, the output will tell you how to set your
    >>profile.
    >>That might do the trick.

    > Thank you.
    > Tzselect didn't like 'GST' alone but seems to accept 'GST-0'. It looks
    > like "TZ='GST-0'; exportTZ" will do what I want, since tzselect shows
    > local and UTC time to be identical with that selection.
    >
    > Now, I'm off to find where Ubuntu keeps my profile and change it...

    Add the line

    TZ='GST-0'; export TZ

    to the end of the file ~/.profile

    stonerfish

  17. Re: ZULU time

    Trevor Best wrote:
    > On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 20:00:46 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:
    >
    >> Tell it you're in Monrovia, Liberia. Its time zone is UTC+0.
    >>
    >> I see someone has suggested using London. That *almost* works, except the
    >> Brits observe daylight savings time. Liberia does not.

    > Only because the farmers want their point of ciderrr at 'afv pas' ten, ooh
    > arrrr!

    Windows has a time setting utility that calls WWV here in the states and
    get GMT time and then converts it to whatever your location and
    preferences are. Linux should have something similar since it is a tiny
    application.
    Bill Baka

  18. Re: ZULU time

    Bill wrote:
    > Trevor Best wrote:
    >> On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 20:00:46 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:
    >>
    >>> Tell it you're in Monrovia, Liberia. Its time zone is UTC+0.
    >>>
    >>> I see someone has suggested using London. That *almost* works,
    >>> except the
    >>> Brits observe daylight savings time. Liberia does not.

    >> Only because the farmers want their point of ciderrr at 'afv pas'
    >> ten, ooh
    >> arrrr!
    >>

    > Windows has a time setting utility that calls WWV here in the states
    > and get GMT time and then converts it to whatever your location and
    > preferences are. Linux should have something similar since it is a
    > tiny application.
    > Bill Baka

    I thought you were a (self-proclaimed) smart engineer type, Bill.
    Someone who listed several dozen technical journals.

    But you must have failed to read my rather lengthy post in this group
    yesterday about the ntp program in Unix/Linux.

    Seeing the spew of newsgroup articles you posted yesterday, I'm
    beginning to wonder if you've mis-adjusted your communication balancer
    to favor output above input. ;-)

    --
    John

  19. Re: ZULU time

    On 2008-06-13, Bill wrote:
    > Trevor Best wrote:
    >> On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 20:00:46 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:
    >>
    >>> Tell it you're in Monrovia, Liberia. Its time zone is UTC+0.
    >>>
    >>> I see someone has suggested using London. That *almost* works, except the
    >>> Brits observe daylight savings time. Liberia does not.

    >> Only because the farmers want their point of ciderrr at 'afv pas' ten, ooh
    >> arrrr!
    >>

    > Windows has a time setting utility that calls WWV here in the states and
    > get GMT time and then converts it to whatever your location and
    > preferences are. Linux should have something similar since it is a tiny
    > application.
    > Bill Baka

    It does. NTP clients exist on pretty much every OS on the planet.
    You don't even have to install anything in Ubuntu, just go in to your
    time and date settings, and set the configuration to "keep
    synchronized with Internet time servers". It will install NTP
    support, and you are all set.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  20. Re: ZULU time

    John F. Morse wrote:
    > Bill wrote:
    >> Trevor Best wrote:

    >>> Only because the farmers want their point of ciderrr at 'afv pas'
    >>> ten, ooh
    >>> arrrr!
    >>>

    >> Windows has a time setting utility that calls WWV here in the states
    >> and get GMT time and then converts it to whatever your location and
    >> preferences are. Linux should have something similar since it is a
    >> tiny application.
    >> Bill Baka

    > I thought you were a (self-proclaimed) smart engineer type, Bill.
    > Someone who listed several dozen technical journals.

    I have to skim read and just get the juicy parts, except for things like
    DR. Dobbs which I try to digest in full.
    Have YOU ever tried to read 30 journals a month and keep up with the
    daily update emails? I'm an engineer (mostly) but also a chemist of
    sorts, Medical research addict, sub-atomic nuclear physics, designing
    neat things for the military (Those balls under the UAV planes have a
    lot of my designs in them, and time out to exercise. I just can't read
    and be an expert on everything, but if I get a contract to do something
    next Monday, then the whole weekend goes to getting up to speed.

    > But you must have failed to read my rather lengthy post in this group
    > yesterday about the ntp program in Unix/Linux.

    Like I said I can't read everything. I'm busy working on three possibly
    patentable inventions now so I am scattered pretty thin.
    One was just inspired by the death of a pregnant 17 year old Mexican
    girl from heatstroke. If an invention can save lives then I will do it.
    Then maybe some homeless, undereducated Americans might do the work
    instead of looking for a government handout.

    > Seeing the spew of newsgroup articles you posted yesterday, I'm
    > beginning to wonder if you've mis-adjusted your communication balancer
    > to favor output above input. ;-)

    I post in spurts because I am out a lot and turn off the computer to
    avoid adding to the A/C load and save the power bill from the greedy
    computer. Where I post may be proper netquette, but I will answer line
    by line.
    Enough for now.
    Bill Baka

+ Reply to Thread