ZULU time - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on ZULU time - Ubuntu ; On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 09:40:55 -0500, John F. Morse wrote: > As for the homeless, we never know why they choose to live on the > streets. Some are certainly under the grip of alcohol and other dope. > ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 30 of 30

  1. Re: ZULU time

    On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 09:40:55 -0500, John F. Morse wrote:

    > As for the homeless, we never know why they choose to live on the
    > streets. Some are certainly under the grip of alcohol and other dope.
    > Some may have just fell so far down they cannot even bathe or wear
    > clothes that don't smell so bad they can't even get a job

    Some are natural folk, that don't support the drain on the earth by
    having a car, house, electricity, or running water.

    Too bad it is so hard in our society to be homeless. It is almost a
    crime in some places. Also people look down on them, and treat them like
    dogs in most places. ( Pitty them, throw them a bone, or scrap of meat,
    and give em a bath once in a while. )

    stonerfish

  2. Re: ZULU time

    jellybean stonerfish wrote:
    > On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 09:40:55 -0500, John F. Morse wrote:
    >
    >> As for the homeless, we never know why they choose to live on the
    >> streets. Some are certainly under the grip of alcohol and other dope.
    >> Some may have just fell so far down they cannot even bathe or wear
    >> clothes that don't smell so bad they can't even get a job

    > Some are natural folk, that don't support the drain on the earth by
    > having a car, house, electricity, or running water.
    >
    > Too bad it is so hard in our society to be homeless. It is almost a
    > crime in some places. Also people look down on them, and treat them like
    > dogs in most places. ( Pitty them, throw them a bone, or scrap of meat,
    > and give em a bath once in a while. )
    >
    > stonerfish

    That sounds exactly like the American Indian.

    Maybe the Aboriginal Australian as well?

    --
    John

    No Microsoft, Apple, Intel, Novell, Trend Micro, nor Ford products were used
    in the preparation or transmission of this message.

    The EULA sounds like it was written by a team of lawyers who want to tell me
    what I can't do. The GPL sounds like it was written by a human being, who
    wants me to know what I can do.

  3. Re: ZULU time

    On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 12:17:22 -0500, John F. Morse wrote:

    > That sounds exactly like the American Indian.
    >
    > Maybe the Aboriginal Australian as well?

    They are of many races, and exist in even the most destroyed eco-systems,
    such as most metropolisis (metropoli?), where they are often forced to
    forage on trash and leftovers, as the wildlife is gone, and most public
    plantings are non-edible. This leads to poor health. Also, clear
    running water, in many places, is off limits to public bathing. This
    leads to poor hygiene. They are better off unseen, as their outward
    appearance, will often lead to arrest for loitering, or trespassing, or
    something.

    stonerfish
    --
    One check away from being homeless.

  4. Re: ZULU time

    On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 18:10:50 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:

    > Strobe wrote:
    >> Ubuntu 8.04 GUI gives a wide selection of time zones - but I can't see
    >> a GMT option.
    >>
    >> How can I set my computer to Zulu/UTC time?

    > Ub 8.04 likes to do it by 'location' rather than timezone, which might
    > seem a little awkward to some. But the prime meridian is Greenwich
    > which can be considered Europe/ London.

    Okay, here's a question. I installed NTP today and now the clock on my
    panel (top right) shows GMT. When I go to System>Admin>Time and Date to
    change it, the time is correct there. When I run "date" on a terminal,
    the time is correct there as well (local time that is). So why would the
    panel clock show GMT and the other show the correct local time? I'm on
    CDT and have the correct time zone selected (America/Chicago) for Central
    time.
    I uninstalled NTP and set the clock back to manual...which did no good.
    Still shows GMT on the panel.

    Any ideas? I've run out of steam on this one for the day.

    Thanks!

  5. Re: ZULU time

    AllenSco wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >> Strobe wrote:
    >>
    >>> Ubuntu 8.04 GUI gives a wide selection of time zones - but I
    >>> can't see a GMT option.
    >>>
    >>> How can I set my computer to Zulu/UTC time?

    >> Ub 8.04 likes to do it by 'location' rather than timezone,
    >> which might seem a little awkward to some. But the prime
    >> meridian is Greenwich which can be considered Europe/London.

    > Okay, here's a question. I installed NTP today and now the clock
    > on my panel (top right) shows GMT. When I go to System>Admin>
    > Time and Date to change it, the time is correct there. When I
    > run "date" on a terminal, the time is correct there as well
    > (local time that is). So why would the panel clock show GMT and
    > the other show the correct local time? I'm on CDT and have the
    > correct time zone selected (America/Chicago) for Central time.

    There are two major possibilities - using local time, or GMT, as
    the central clock value. Unix generally chooses GMT. So does
    Linux, unless the system has to co-exist with a Windows system,
    which uses local time. Once you know the correct time zone it is
    possible to generate all times from either.

    However, notice that using Local time as the standard means that
    the recorded file times, etc. will change when you move to a
    different time zone (barring a monstrous script updating
    everything). That is why the Unix system is preferred on Linux.
    What it uses is configured in the boot mechanism.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  6. Re: ZULU time

    AllenSco wrote:

    > Okay, here's a question. I installed NTP today and now the clock on my
    > panel (top right) shows GMT. When I go to System>Admin>Time and Date to
    > change it, the time is correct there. When I run "date" on a terminal,
    > the time is correct there as well (local time that is). So why would the
    > panel clock show GMT and the other show the correct local time? I'm on
    > CDT and have the correct time zone selected (America/Chicago) for Central
    > time.
    > I uninstalled NTP and set the clock back to manual...which did no good.
    > Still shows GMT on the panel.
    >
    > Any ideas? I've run out of steam on this one for the day.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Right-click the clock, select Preferences, and uncheck the Use UTC box?

    I'm on CDT, have all hardware clocks set to UTC, use ntpd on all clients, with one running ntpd as a Stratum 2 server, and all of myclocks show CDT correctly.

    --
    John

  7. Re: ZULU time

    CBFalconer wrote:

    > That is why the Unix system is preferred on Linux.
    > What it uses is configured in the boot mechanism.

    I can see it's five o'clock somewhere, Chuck! ;-)

    --
    John

  8. Re: ZULU time

    On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 19:14:45 -0500, John F. Morse wrote:

    I tried everything I could. No UTC selection in preferences. Could use
    NTP or not and it made no difference. The system time was correct when I
    ran "date" from a terminal...the clock applet was showing GMT.
    I got it fixed though....but had to do a clean install to get it that
    way. I had upgraded this system from Gutsy to Hardy. I thought a clean
    install from the Hardy image would be better..and so it is.

    Thanks for the help guys!
    Allen

  9. Re: ZULU time

    Allen wrote:
    > On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 19:14:45 -0500, John F. Morse wrote:
    >

    > I tried everything I could. No UTC selection in preferences. Could use
    > NTP or not and it made no difference. The system time was correct when I
    > ran "date" from a terminal...the clock applet was showing GMT.
    > I got it fixed though....but had to do a clean install to get it that
    > way. I had upgraded this system from Gutsy to Hardy. I thought a clean
    > install from the Hardy image would be better..and so it is.
    >
    > Thanks for the help guys!
    > Allen

    You may have "fixed" your problem Allen, but remember in the future that
    you never need to do a complete OS install (which is a replacement) to
    simply "fix" (repair) something.

    Not only is it a big waste of time, and usually losing your data and
    configuration settings, you also miss a good opportunity to learn how to
    locate and repair problems. The "shotgun" approach is not the best
    method in any case, for any problem.

    In this case, I wouldn't consider the small bother of the panel clock
    showing GMT instead of CDT, warranting the time expense of a complete
    new install. For instance, you could have used this time to learn, which
    would remain with you in the future.

    Not only learning about the GNOME panel clock applet, but the side
    education doing things like ls, vi, cd, and other opportunities to
    master your OS. You would have learned that the problem is in a text
    file somewhere, and a simple edit would have fixed it.

    What did you actually profit from the time you spent doing a clean
    install? Anything in addition to a CDT clock? ;-)

    --
    John

  10. Re: ZULU time

    On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 08:46:52 -0500, John F. Morse wrote:

    > What did you actually profit from the time you spent doing a clean
    > install? Anything in addition to a CDT clock? ;-)

    John, thank you and you are correct. Doing a clean install cost me a
    little time...around an hour and a half (or so). I didn't have much info
    on this system as it had not been in use very long. I did back up what
    data I had on it for restoration to the new system. Didn't take long at
    all to put it back like it was.

    I had looked for the better part of two days...spending all my evening
    hours online (and while at work using idle time) looking through this
    newsgroup as well as the Ubuntu forum and other online sources trying to
    find an answer. I wasn't able to come up with anything referring to why
    the clock applet would show GMT while the system time was correct. I say
    "system time" meaning that when I ran "date" on a terminal, the return
    was correct as CDT. The actual system time is in GMT. Most all of what I
    could find relating to system time had to do with NTP not working
    correctly. I installed NTP, uninstalled NTP and did everything I possibly
    could using every bit of info I could find to try and find out why this
    was happening. No doubt, it's trivial...BUT, it's not supposed to do
    that and I wanted my system to work like it should including the clock.
    I have no idea when the clock applet started showing GMT...just noticed
    while surfing around. My better half will tell you that things like that
    will pester me until it's resolved...one way or the other.

    As far as my profit, aside from reading alot of posts and trying some
    different things, pretty much zilch. The problem was not fixed properly.

    Thanks for time, I really do appreciate it. Just another reason to love
    the newsgroups....there are many helpful people.

    Allen

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2