Ubuntu Tweak - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu Tweak - Ubuntu ; Don't know if this is old news or not but just ran across the following: http://ubuntu-tweak.com/ Ubuntu Tweak is an application designed to config Ubuntu easier for everyone. It provided many usefull desktop and system options that the default desktop ...

  1. Ubuntu Tweak

    Don't know if this is old news or not but just ran across the following:

    http://ubuntu-tweak.com/

    Ubuntu Tweak is an application designed to config Ubuntu easier for
    everyone.

    It provided many usefull desktop and system options that the default
    desktop environment isn’t provided.

    At present, It is only designed for Ubuntu GNOME Desktop, and often
    follows the newest Ubuntu distribution.

    LICENSE

    Ubuntu Tweak is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
    under th
    e terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free
    Software Foun
    dation. More information can see at the the package’s LICENSE.

    Features of Ubuntu Tweak

    * View of Basic System Information(Distribution, Kernel, CPU, Memory,
    etc.)
    * GNOME Session Control
    * Auto Start Program Control
    * Show/Hide and Change Splash screen
    * Show/Hide desktop icons or Mounted Volumes
    * Show/Hide/Rename Computer, Home, Trash icon or Network icon
    * Tweak Metacity Window Manager’s Style and Behavior
    * Compiz Fusion settings, Screen Edge Settings, Window Effects
    Settings, Menu Effect Settins
    * GNOME Panel Settings
    * Nautilus Settings
    * Advanced Power Management Settings
    * System Security Settings

    FWIW.....cut and pasted the instructions from the download page and the
    install went without a hitch.

  2. Re: Ubuntu Tweak

    On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 03:28:51 GMT
    propman wrote:

    > Don't know if this is old news or not but just ran across the following:
    >
    > http://ubuntu-tweak.com/
    >
    > Ubuntu Tweak is an application designed to config Ubuntu easier for
    > everyone.
    >
    > It provided many usefull desktop and system options that the default
    > desktop environment isn’t provided.
    >
    > At present, It is only designed for Ubuntu GNOME Desktop, and often
    > follows the newest Ubuntu distribution.
    >
    > [...]
    > * Show/Hide and Change Splash screen
    > * Show/Hide desktop icons or Mounted Volumes
    > * Show/Hide/Rename Computer, Home, Trash icon or Network icon

    Reminds me of a similar tool which existed for Windows 95... "Hey, I can
    rename the Trash Can to 'Microsoft Headquarter'!" ;-)

    --
    Was ist ist, was nicht ist ist moeglich

  3. Re: Ubuntu Tweak

    "propman" wrote in message

    > Don't know if this is old news or not but just ran across the following:
    >
    > http://ubuntu-tweak.com/
    >
    > Ubuntu Tweak is an application designed to config Ubuntu easier for
    > everyone.
    >
    > It provided many usefull desktop and system options that the default
    > desktop environment isn't provided.
    >
    > At present, It is only designed for Ubuntu GNOME Desktop, and often
    > follows the newest Ubuntu distribution.
    >
    > LICENSE
    >
    > Ubuntu Tweak is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
    > under th
    > e terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free
    > Software Foun
    > dation. More information can see at the the package's LICENSE.
    >
    > Features of Ubuntu Tweak
    >
    > * View of Basic System Information(Distribution, Kernel, CPU, Memory,
    > etc.)
    > * GNOME Session Control
    > * Auto Start Program Control
    > * Show/Hide and Change Splash screen
    > * Show/Hide desktop icons or Mounted Volumes
    > * Show/Hide/Rename Computer, Home, Trash icon or Network icon
    > * Tweak Metacity Window Manager's Style and Behavior
    > * Compiz Fusion settings, Screen Edge Settings, Window Effects
    > Settings, Menu Effect Settins
    > * GNOME Panel Settings
    > * Nautilus Settings
    > * Advanced Power Management Settings
    > * System Security Settings
    >

    > FWIW.....cut and pasted the instructions from the download page and the
    > install went without a hitch.

    Old news Lintard

  4. Re: Ubuntu Tweak

    On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 12:57:56 +0200, Johannes Kroll wrote:

    > Reminds me of a similar tool which existed for Windows 95... "Hey, I can
    > rename the Trash Can to 'Microsoft Headquarter'!" ;-)

    Heh, at work one of our network drives is all the client folders, I put a
    recycle bin on there called "Unpopular Clients", it's permanent if you
    drag one there though.

    --
    Q: Want to lower petrol prices?
    A: Easy, just boycott BP & Esso

  5. Re: Ubuntu Tweak

    Trevor Best wrote:
    > On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 12:57:56 +0200, Johannes Kroll wrote:
    >
    >> Reminds me of a similar tool which existed for Windows 95... "Hey, I can
    >> rename the Trash Can to 'Microsoft Headquarter'!" ;-)

    > Heh, at work one of our network drives is all the client folders, I put a
    > recycle bin on there called "Unpopular Clients", it's permanent if you
    > drag one there though.

    I installed tweak and while it was fun to go through I didn't see any
    really compelling reason for it to be on my system. No performance gains
    but some eye candy stuff.
    My opinion, yours may vary.
    Bill Baka

  6. Re: Ubuntu Tweak

    On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 11:51:18 -0700, Bill wrote:

    > Trevor Best wrote:
    >> On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 12:57:56 +0200, Johannes Kroll wrote:
    >>
    >>> Reminds me of a similar tool which existed for Windows 95... "Hey, I
    >>> can rename the Trash Can to 'Microsoft Headquarter'!" ;-)

    >> Heh, at work one of our network drives is all the client folders, I put
    >> a recycle bin on there called "Unpopular Clients", it's permanent if you
    >> drag one there though.
    >>

    > I installed tweak and while it was fun to go through I didn't see any
    > really compelling reason for it to be on my system. No performance gains
    > but some eye candy stuff.
    > My opinion, yours may vary.
    > Bill Baka

    It may be an easier way to get a lot of disparate options under one roof,
    I know TweakUI in Windows was a favourite of mine, still is in fact. I may
    give this a try, after all what harm can it do? (I have backups :-)

    --
    Q: Want to lower petrol prices?
    A: Easy, just boycott BP & Esso

  7. Re: Ubuntu Tweak

    On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 20:42:08 +0100, Trevor Best wrote:

    > On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 11:51:18 -0700, Bill wrote:
    >
    >> Trevor Best wrote:

    >>> Heh, at work one of our network drives is all the client folders, I
    >>> put a recycle bin on there called "Unpopular Clients", it's permanent
    >>> if you drag one there though.
    >>>

    >> I installed tweak and while it was fun to go through I didn't see any
    >> really compelling reason for it to be on my system. No performance
    >> gains but some eye candy stuff.
    >> My opinion, yours may vary.
    >> Bill Baka

    > It may be an easier way to get a lot of disparate options under one
    > roof, I know TweakUI in Windows was a favourite of mine, still is in
    > fact. I may give this a try, after all what harm can it do? (I have
    > backups :-)

    FWIW, there is also a TweakVI for Vista but it's a non-MS product; basic
    version is a freebie.

    Here's the url for anyone that's interested:

    http://www.totalidea.com/content/twe...akvi-index.php

    PS...and for anyone who is NOT interested, save the flames, press the
    Enter Key and look for something that does interest ya.

  8. Re: Ubuntu Tweak

    On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 20:53:29 +0000, propman wrote:

    > FWIW, there is also a TweakVI

    Do they do a tweak for a certain Linux editor? :-)

    --
    Q: Want to lower petrol prices?
    A: Easy, just boycott BP & Esso

  9. Re: Ubuntu Tweak

    * Trevor Best wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 20:53:29 +0000, propman wrote:
    >
    >> FWIW, there is also a TweakVI

    > Do they do a tweak for a certain Linux editor? :-)

    Why, yes...

    http://cream.sourceforge.net/features.html

    --
    David