Vista users. Why bother to answer them? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Vista users. Why bother to answer them? - Ubuntu ; I just read a post by a user whose first line said he was using Vista HP. Why even bother to answer someone so obviously stupid? Yes, I said Vista users are STUPID, and I actually meant it. I'm busy ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 100

  1. Vista users. Why bother to answer them?

    I just read a post by a user whose first line said he was using Vista
    HP. Why even bother to answer someone so obviously stupid?
    Yes, I said Vista users are STUPID, and I actually meant it.
    I'm busy saving my data and getting rid of any and all applications that
    can be done in Linux, especially Ubuntu. Once that is done, my XP home
    will just be a non-internet shell for a few bitchy CAD programs.
    Again,
    Vista users who actually admit it top (almost) my stupid list.
    Advice==sudo apt-get brains.
    Bill Baka

  2. Re: Vista users. Why bother to answer them?

    Bill wrote:

    > sudo apt-get brains.

    Or:

    dpkg-reconfigure -phigh brains

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5

  3. Re: Vista users. Why bother to answer them?

    Bill wrote:
    > I just read a post by a user whose first line said he was using Vista
    > HP. Why even bother to answer someone so obviously stupid?
    > Yes, I said Vista users are STUPID, and I actually meant it.
    > I'm busy saving my data and getting rid of any and all applications that
    > can be done in Linux, especially Ubuntu. Once that is done, my XP home
    > will just be a non-internet shell for a few bitchy CAD programs.
    > Again,
    > Vista users who actually admit it top (almost) my stupid list.
    > Advice==sudo apt-get brains.
    > Bill Baka

    Of course Vista users are stupid!

    But the underlying fact is that Vista itself is rubbish!

    http://www.vistaisrubbish.com

    toe

  4. Re: Vista users. Why bother to answer them?

    On 2008-06-07, Bill wrote:

    > Bill Baka (now 90% Ubuntu).

    O_o

    We are the Ubuntu. We will assimilate you. Resistance is futile.

    Scary, although I'd die to see 7-of-9 in a Human-themed outfit.

    --
    Een vrouw in haren blote, dat is een monument.
    Maar ne vent in zijne pure is en bleft nen blote vent.

  5. Re: Vista users. Why bother to answer them?

    On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 15:23:42 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:

    > If you want to find a good deal on a computer, I would recommend that you
    > buy one with Vista preinstalled. If you don't want Vista on a partition,
    > blast it off there and install a linux distro -- but you won't have a
    > chance to downgrade the Vista to XP or anything like that.

    You can always install a copy of XP that you already own, of course. The
    secondary problem these days is that it can be nearly impossible to find
    XP drivers for the newly purchased hardware, especially with laptops.
    This makes it very difficult or even impossible to run XP on a system
    purchased with Vista preinstalled.

    Now filtering out all posts originating from Google Groups.

  6. Re: Vista users. Why bother to answer them?

    Dan C wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >
    >> If you want to find a good deal on a computer, I would recommend that
    >> you buy one with Vista preinstalled. If you don't want Vista on a
    >> partition, blast it off there and install a linux distro -- but you
    >> won't have a chance to downgrade the Vista to XP or anything like that.

    > You can always install a copy of XP that you already own, of course.

    The most common way that XP license has been sold in the past is not with
    providing the computer purchaser with a 'genuine' MS XP disk, but instead
    to provide the purchaser with an installed XP, and with an image of that
    install, or maybe with some disks with an image of that install. So, no,
    you can't install a copy of XP in your Vista box under those
    circumstances. How many people do you know who own a genuine legitimate
    MS install disk? Where did they get it and at what cost?

    > The secondary problem these days is that it can be nearly impossible to
    > find XP drivers for the newly purchased hardware, especially with
    > laptops. This makes it very difficult or even impossible to run XP on a
    > system purchased with Vista preinstalled.

    That's what OEMs such as HP are telling the people who ask them questions
    about using XP on the HP machines which have been sold with Vista. They
    are telling them that they aren't providing HP XP drivers.

    If you 'follow my advice' (above) and buy a box with Vista preinstalled,
    you would be better off in terms of general compatibility in many cases,
    to replace it with a linux distro, not with XP. The Vista isn't going to
    have any drivers for older peripherals and the Vista isn't going to be
    able to run some of the old software for XP.

    --
    Mike Easter

  7. Re: Vista users. Why bother to answer them?

    > Bill wrote:>

    >> Yes, I said Vista users are STUPID, and I actually meant it.

    C'mon, Sir. That is a STUPID comment and you know it.

    --
    __________
    Just Me, D

  8. Re: Vista users. Why bother to answer them?

    Mike Easter illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Dan C wrote:
    >> Mike Easter wrote:
    >>
    >>> If you want to find a good deal on a computer, I would recommend that
    >>> you buy one with Vista preinstalled. If you don't want Vista on a
    >>> partition, blast it off there and install a linux distro -- but you
    >>> won't have a chance to downgrade the Vista to XP or anything like that.

    >> You can always install a copy of XP that you already own, of course.

    > The most common way that XP license has been sold in the past is not with
    > providing the computer purchaser with a 'genuine' MS XP disk, but instead
    > to provide the purchaser with an installed XP, and with an image of that
    > install, or maybe with some disks with an image of that install. So, no,
    > you can't install a copy of XP in your Vista box under those
    > circumstances. How many people do you know who own a genuine legitimate
    > MS install disk? Where did they get it and at what cost?
    >
    >> The secondary problem these days is that it can be nearly impossible to
    >> find XP drivers for the newly purchased hardware, especially with
    >> laptops. This makes it very difficult or even impossible to run XP on a
    >> system purchased with Vista preinstalled.

    > That's what OEMs such as HP are telling the people who ask them questions
    > about using XP on the HP machines which have been sold with Vista. They
    > are telling them that they aren't providing HP XP drivers.
    >
    > If you 'follow my advice' (above) and buy a box with Vista preinstalled,
    > you would be better off in terms of general compatibility in many cases,
    > to replace it with a linux distro, not with XP. The Vista isn't going to
    > have any drivers for older peripherals and the Vista isn't going to be
    > able to run some of the old software for XP.

    Mike, I'm a linux advocate....I love the thing.

    However, Vista can run on just about any hardware I've thrown it at .
    XP too.

    My opinion regarding people who have problems with certain OS's or
    programs is easy to describe.

    "You put **** in, you get **** out".

    In other words, the operator is generally the person at fault.

    --
    Moog

    “Are you going to come quietly, or do I have to use earplugs?”

  9. Re: Vista users. Why bother to answer them?

    Moog wrote:
    > Mike Easter

    >> That's what OEMs such as HP are telling the people who ask them
    >> questions about using XP on the HP machines which have been sold with
    >> Vista. They are telling them that they aren't providing HP XP drivers.
    >>
    >> If you 'follow my advice' (above) and buy a box with Vista
    >> preinstalled, you would be better off in terms of general
    >> compatibility in many cases, to replace it with a linux distro, not
    >> with XP. The Vista isn't going to have any drivers for older
    >> peripherals and the Vista isn't going to be able to run some of the
    >> old software for XP.

    > Mike, I'm a linux advocate....I love the thing.
    >
    > However, Vista can run on just about any hardware I've thrown it at .
    > XP too.

    I have zero experience with Vista and very little with XP.

    I have one computer with XP preinstalled and no XP install disks except
    that which I have made for myself for 'experimental' purposes, since the
    OEM XP license with the XP box didn't include a MS XP install disk.

    What I see in newsgroups is a lot of Vista problems, and also websites for
    'Vista newbies' where there are lots of problems and not all of those
    problems seem to be entirely up to the Vista 'newbie' -- because the vista
    newbies are not all newbies, they are oldies to MS OSes and newbies to
    vista.

    --
    Mike Easter

  10. Re: Vista users. Why bother to answer them?

    Mike Easter illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >> Mike Easter

    >>> That's what OEMs such as HP are telling the people who ask them
    >>> questions about using XP on the HP machines which have been sold with
    >>> Vista. They are telling them that they aren't providing HP XP drivers.
    >>>
    >>> If you 'follow my advice' (above) and buy a box with Vista
    >>> preinstalled, you would be better off in terms of general
    >>> compatibility in many cases, to replace it with a linux distro, not
    >>> with XP. The Vista isn't going to have any drivers for older
    >>> peripherals and the Vista isn't going to be able to run some of the
    >>> old software for XP.

    >> Mike, I'm a linux advocate....I love the thing.
    >>
    >> However, Vista can run on just about any hardware I've thrown it at .
    >> XP too.

    > I have zero experience with Vista and very little with XP.
    >
    > I have one computer with XP preinstalled and no XP install disks except
    > that which I have made for myself for 'experimental' purposes, since the
    > OEM XP license with the XP box didn't include a MS XP install disk.
    >
    > What I see in newsgroups is a lot of Vista problems, and also websites for
    > 'Vista newbies' where there are lots of problems and not all of those
    > problems seem to be entirely up to the Vista 'newbie' -- because the vista
    > newbies are not all newbies, they are oldies to MS OSes and newbies to
    > vista.

    You also see a lot of "problems" in AOLU too.

    These arent imaginary. They are as real as they are in any other OS.

    What you do not get in Vista, XP, or Ubuntu newsgroups are posts
    saying. "Hey. I have no problems at all. See you soon"

    People are there for the troubleshooting and to glean advice. The
    very nature of newsgroups means someone has a problem and they are
    hoping someone has solved it.

    I love newsgroups. They have helped me with a myriad of issue's, and
    hopefully I've helped a couple of people solve theirs too.

    --
    Moog

    “Are you going to come quietly, or do I have to use earplugs?”

  11. Re: Vista users. Why bother to answer them?

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > Perhaps you haven't gone shopping lately.

    Funnily enough, I did today. I needed two desktop machines in a big hurry
    (we identified the need at 11:00, and I had them installed by 15:00 - I
    even had time for lunch!). A little shopping around, and I was able to get
    brand new machines without the encumbrance of Windoze, and they each cost
    (roughly) £100 less than if they had MS crapware on them.

    They were both loaded with a minimal disk image that we use for our basic
    machines, and were connected to the network in minutes.

    It seems that retailers are entirely happy to sell clean machines at reduced
    prices. The current financial climate means that they are glad of /any/
    business!

    C.

  12. Re: Vista users. Why bother to answer them?

    Moog wrote:

    > However, Vista can run on just about any hardware I've thrown it at .
    > XP too.

    XP perhaps, but Vista chokes on *most* hardware I've tried it with. There
    are simply no Vista drivers for older hardware.

    C.

  13. Re: Vista users. Why bother to answer them?

    Bill wrote:

    > That too. After all the useless crap of windows, crashing and making me
    > re-install, I can only wish M$ a rapid and painful death.

    I work for a very small company, and am the go-to IT guy by default.
    This week I bought components to build another basic workstation, and
    threw the thing together this afternoon.

    In the last couple of hours I've just been foolin' around, and have
    installed four Linux distros on this thing. Every one of them -- Ubuntu,
    PCLinuxOS, Zenwalk, and MEPIS -- have installed quickly and flawlessly.

    Anymore I dread doing Windows installs. Even clean installs on new
    hardware with all the disks and everything take forever to install,
    update, and lock down. Not to mention all the additional software that
    has to be added. That whole exercise takes hours, while a Linux install
    with applications takes minutes.

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5
    Registered Linux User #415318
    ....lose .inhibitions when replying

  14. Re: Vista users. Why bother to answer them?

    On 06/07/2008 02:51 PM Bill scribbled:

    sudo apt-get brains

    great sig material...

  15. Re: Vista users. Why bother to answer them?

    "Christopher Hunter" wrote in message
    news2F2k.5143$pu3.4730@newsfe05.ams2...
    > Moog wrote:
    >
    >> However, Vista can run on just about any hardware I've thrown it at .
    >> XP too.

    > XP perhaps, but Vista chokes on *most* hardware I've tried it with. There
    > are simply no Vista drivers for older hardware.
    >
    > C.

    I have no experience with vista. I have next to no problems with xp though.
    The question that comes to mind (for me) is, if xp is running ok, why
    change? It seems to me that every iteration of Windows is successively
    resource hungry and forward facing with drivers and such. Whenever it has
    been worth "upgrading" (i.e. going to the next higher version) for added
    functionality, it has been worth upgrading hardware.

    It seems to me the overwhelming majority of problems I have heard of with
    vista are in trying to run it on hardware not designed for it. It smacks of
    operator error to me.

    Ed

  16. Re: Vista users. Why bother to answer them?

    On 2008-06-07, Christopher Hunter wrote:
    > Moog wrote:
    >
    >> However, Vista can run on just about any hardware I've thrown it at .
    >> XP too.

    > XP perhaps, but Vista chokes on *most* hardware I've tried it with. There
    > are simply no Vista drivers for older hardware.
    >
    > C.

    I read somewhere, probably on the Vista ng, or perhaps it was Paul
    Thurrott talking, that Vista needs a fairly new machine to run on.
    I'm running it on a quad-core 3GB Ram with 2.2GHz processor
    and Ultimate runs fine. It's the software (like FFVIII) that doesn't
    work.

    My advice to anyone who wants to run Vista is to make sure that you
    have at least 2GB of Ram and a fairly fast processor. And make sure
    that you check your software for Vista compatibility before buying.
    The stuff I have problems with is software I already owned.

    Ubuntu, on the other hand will run on pretty much everything I have,
    and the only hardware I've had problems with is my Creative Labs
    webcam. No issues with sound or video... very happy with performance.

    --
    * I am the walrus. *
    * RLU 451587 *

  17. Re: Vista users. Why bother to answer them?

    On 06/07/2008 03:23 PM Mike Easter scribbled:

    > It has been many many months, actually years, since the local stores
    > offered a good deal on a rig with Linspire preinstalled instead of
    > something like Vista.

    has it been years? Seems like yesterday. But in reality, if you want a
    linux install, wouldn't it be better to buy a blank box with a CD
    included? I don't see folks in general just jumping into linux
    preinstalled - one /needs/ to understand the structure and usage of
    things because the provided GUIs aren't intuitive to a lot of folks.

    > If you want to find a good deal on a computer, I would recommend that you
    > buy one with Vista preinstalled. If you don't want Vista on a partition,
    > blast it off there and install a linux distro -- but you won't have a
    > chance to downgrade the Vista to XP or anything like that.

    I just went through a nightmare ridding a box of XP. BTW, you provided
    help to me in the SC geeks group a couple weeks ago, TYVM. Mepis ain't
    all that review said it was - had a lot more problems than Ubuntu -
    staying with gnome...

  18. Re: Vista users. Why bother to answer them?

    On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 00:42:00 +0100, Christopher Hunter wrote:

    > Moog wrote:
    >
    >> However, Vista can run on just about any hardware I've thrown it at . XP
    >> too.

    > XP perhaps, but Vista chokes on *most* hardware I've tried it with. There
    > are simply no Vista drivers for older hardware.

    And XP on newer hardware, particularly HP laptops, not that I got the
    chance to try it, it required that I activate upon my first login, this is
    before I had a chance to find and install *any* drivers. I was left with a
    "Activate Windows" window, actually the title read "Activate Windows (not
    responding)". Needless to say I didn't get far with XPee, that reminds I
    have to re-enable the SATA on that laptop as XP needed it disabled
    otherwise it wouldn't find any disks.

    --
    $HOME = /dev/null

  19. Re: Vista users. Why bother to answer them?

    "TomB" wrote in message
    > On 2008-06-07, Bill wrote:
    >
    >> Bill Baka (now 90% Ubuntu).

    > O_o
    >
    > We are the Ubuntu. We will assimilate you. Resistance is futile.
    >
    > Scary, although I'd die to see 7-of-9 in a Human-themed outfit.

    http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...h+Images&gbv=2

    May you die a happy man.......

  20. Re: Vista users. Why bother to answer them?

    jrg wrote:
    >Mike Easter scribbled:

    >> If you want to find a good deal on a computer, I would recommend that
    >> you buy one with Vista preinstalled. If you don't want Vista on a
    >> partition, blast it off there and install a linux distro -- but you
    >> won't have a chance to downgrade the Vista to XP or anything like that.
    >>

    > I just went through a nightmare ridding a box of XP. BTW, you provided
    > help to me in the SC geeks group a couple weeks ago, TYVM. Mepis ain't
    > all that review said it was - had a lot more problems than Ubuntu -
    > staying with gnome...

    If I recall, you had some gnome vs kde questions and someone else

    --
    Mike Easter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast