Vista users. Why bother to answer them? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Vista users. Why bother to answer them? - Ubuntu ; dennis@home illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing: > > > "Moog" wrote in message > news:6b9kbnF390658U1@mid.individual.net... >> dennis@home illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing: >> >>> >>> Linux wouldn't be much use as I can't find much in the way of software >>> that ...

  1. Re: Vista users. Why bother to answer them?

    dennis@home illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > "Moog" wrote in message
    >> dennis@home illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>

    >>> Linux wouldn't be much use as I can't find much in the way of software
    >>> that
    >>> actually helps an 87 yo with cataracts to be able to use a computer.

    >> Just as a matter of interest, what software *does* am 87yo with
    >> cateracts use in Windows?
    >>
    >> IMHO, the accesibility tools in Windows are bloody awful.

    > I don't really know, I didn't provide them.

    You didn't provide what? The software? It would seem from your
    previous comment that you could find something for windows, but not
    Linux, yet you now say you don't know!!!

    I'm a little confused.

    > What I am doing is putting a camera on the ceiling pointing down at the
    > table so he can put anything on the table on a 32" screen.

    That would be extremely easy to organise using Linux.

    > He is due for an op soon if he can have it, he has heart failure too so its
    > not just a routine op.

    Good luck to him.

    --
    Moog

    “Are you going to come quietly, or do I have to use earplugs?”

  2. Re: Vista users. Why bother to answer them?

    On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 21:26:29 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

    [nothing worth repeating]

    twat

    --
    Q: Want to lower petrol prices?
    A: Easy, just boycott BP & Esso

  3. Re: Vista users. Why bother to answer them?

    "Moog" wrote in message
    > dennis@home illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>

    >> "Moog" wrote in message
    >>> dennis@home illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> Just as a matter of interest, what software *does* am 87yo with
    >>> cateracts use in Windows?
    >>>
    >>> IMHO, the accesibility tools in Windows are bloody awful.

    >> I don't really know, I didn't provide them.

    > You didn't provide what? The software? It would seem from your
    > previous comment that you could find something for windows, but not
    > Linux, yet you now say you don't know!!!
    >
    > I'm a little confused.

    Sorry, I didn't put the software on that he is using as far as I know.
    I don't know what it is, I can have a look next time I am there if you want.

    >> What I am doing is putting a camera on the ceiling pointing down at the
    >> table so he can put anything on the table on a 32" screen.

    > That would be extremely easy to organise using Linux.

    Its even easier without a pc. KISS applies.

    >> He is due for an op soon if he can have it, he has heart failure too so
    >> its
    >> not just a routine op.

    > Good luck to him.

    He should have had it done a couple of years ago but he was scared, now its
    more of a risk.
    I think it is worth it, its not much of a life sitting there with a fuzzy
    view and he is virtually deaf too. (He uses msn to talk to people.)

    Anyway this has nowt to do with linux so it probably best to stop here.

  4. Re: Vista users. Why bother to answer them?

    "Trevor Best" wrote in message
    newsan.2008.06.11.22.22.57.118522@besty.org.uk...

    [nothing worth repeating]

    > --
    > twat

  5. Re: Vista users. Why bother to answer them?

    On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 18:55:00 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

    >>> I don't really know, I didn't provide them.

    >> In other words, your story is complete bull****.

    > Sod off if you can't contribute something useful.

    That's all you got? Let me get this straight... Your *father* uses his
    laptop "a lot", and yet you have no idea what software he uses. Is that
    about right? Yep. Hard to believe, isn't it?

    Like I said, you're full of ****, and so is your story. Just another
    (weak) attempt at taking a shot at Linux.

    **** off and leave, you transparent little win-troll worm. You're boring,
    and not even good at trolling. I don't imagine you're good at *anything*,
    nor will you ever be. **** off.

    Now filtering out all posts originating from Google Groups.

  6. Re: Vista users. Why bother to answer them?

    "Dan C" wrote in message
    newsan.2008.06.12.00.11.01.203421@moria2.lan...

    Do not feed the troll!

  7. Re: Vista users. Why bother to answer them?

    On 2008-06-07, Mike Easter wrote:
    > Dan C wrote:
    >> Mike Easter wrote:
    >>
    >>> If you want to find a good deal on a computer, I would recommend that
    >>> you buy one with Vista preinstalled. If you don't want Vista on a
    >>> partition, blast it off there and install a linux distro -- but you
    >>> won't have a chance to downgrade the Vista to XP or anything like that.

    >> You can always install a copy of XP that you already own, of course.

    > The most common way that XP license has been sold in the past is not with
    > providing the computer purchaser with a 'genuine' MS XP disk, but instead
    > to provide the purchaser with an installed XP, and with an image of that
    > install, or maybe with some disks with an image of that install. So, no,
    > you can't install a copy of XP in your Vista box under those
    > circumstances. How many people do you know who own a genuine legitimate
    > MS install disk? Where did they get it and at what cost?

    Even if your PC did come with an actual XP disc (or Vista), as all of
    mine have, it is an OEM license. You are not (legally) allowed to
    install it on another machine, besides the one it was purchased with.

    I do have a legitimate XP Retail install disc, but then you are back
    to the drivers issue. I have a Toshiba Laptop. It came with Vista.
    Toshiba does not publish XP drivers for it. Blowing away Vista and
    installing XP took many hours of work to get all of the generic
    drivers for all of the hardware, and make them all work right.

    >> The secondary problem these days is that it can be nearly impossible to
    >> find XP drivers for the newly purchased hardware, especially with
    >> laptops. This makes it very difficult or even impossible to run XP on a
    >> system purchased with Vista preinstalled.

    > That's what OEMs such as HP are telling the people who ask them questions
    > about using XP on the HP machines which have been sold with Vista. They
    > are telling them that they aren't providing HP XP drivers.
    >
    > If you 'follow my advice' (above) and buy a box with Vista preinstalled,
    > you would be better off in terms of general compatibility in many cases,
    > to replace it with a linux distro, not with XP. The Vista isn't going to
    > have any drivers for older peripherals and the Vista isn't going to be
    > able to run some of the old software for XP.

    Sometimes, you just need a Windows system for something. For me, it
    is my GPS, Logitech Harmony remote, and a couple of other things. I
    rarely need to update those things, but when I do, I need Windows.
    So, I spent the time to get XP working, and dual-boot with Hardy on it
    for normal use. Every time I boot into Windows, the amount of time
    wasted installing updates is almost staggering... ;-)

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  8. Re: Vista users. Why bother to answer them?

    On 2008-06-07, Moog wrote:
    > What you do not get in Vista, XP, or Ubuntu newsgroups are posts
    > saying. "Hey. I have no problems at all. See you soon"

    Hey. I have no problems at all, and I use Ubuntu... ;-)

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  9. Re: Vista users. Why bother to answer them?

    On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 15:23:42 -0700
    "Mike Easter" wrote:

    > [...] If you want to find a good deal on a computer, I would recommend that
    > you buy one with Vista preinstalled. [...]

    I would recommend you shop with companies that actually offer a choice for
    your bargain dollar. My company is a "white box" system builder that only offers
    preinstalled "alternative" operating systems including Linux choices and we
    offer builds with no OS installed so one can install whatever one wishes. There
    are many more companies like mine out there. See more choices at lxer.com
    preinstalled Linux system builder database:

    http://lxer.com/module/db/index.php?dbn=14
    (FWIW, I am having trouble getting to lxer.com today)

    Gene (e-mail: usenet0 \a\t eracc \d\o\t com)
    blog.eracc.com latest article: http://preview.tinyurl.com/6qa5qr
    'What is Spring Football?'
    Got Rute? http://www.anrdoezrs.net/email-25465...sbn=0130333514
    ERA Computers & Consulting - http://www.eracc.com/
    Preloaded PCs - eComStation, Linux, FreeBSD, OpenServer & UnixWare

  10. Re: Vista users. Why bother to answer them?

    "Ed Edelenbos" wrote in message

    > If you buy hardware that won't run your software or software that won't
    > run on your hardware, whose fault is it?

    Funny. Never heard of a piece of hardware that runs Vista up to par.

    My Vista certified quad core, 8GB RAM copies files like a slug. While a
    grandmother using mail on a slow internet connection might not notice, Vista
    has issues inside. Ubuntu has not had these issues.

  11. Re: Vista users. Why bother to answer them?

    dennis@home illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > "Moog" wrote in message
    >> dennis@home illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>>

    >>> "Moog" wrote in message

    >>> I don't really know, I didn't provide them.

    >> You didn't provide what? The software? It would seem from your
    >> previous comment that you could find something for windows, but not
    >> Linux, yet you now say you don't know!!!
    >>
    >> I'm a little confused.

    > Sorry, I didn't put the software on that he is using as far as I know.
    > I don't know what it is, I can have a look next time I am there if you want.

    OK. So you don't know what software he uses, but you know that Linux
    wouldn't be much use in replicating the tasks. That crystal ball you
    have must be mighty powerful.

    >>> What I am doing is putting a camera on the ceiling pointing down at the
    >>> table so he can put anything on the table on a 32" screen.

    >> That would be extremely easy to organise using Linux.

    > Its even easier without a pc. KISS applies.

    Errmm. OK. I naturally assumed you meant by using a computer.
    Assumptions eh?

    >>> He is due for an op soon if he can have it, he has heart failure too so
    >>> its
    >>> not just a routine op.

    >> Good luck to him.

    > He should have had it done a couple of years ago but he was scared, now its
    > more of a risk.
    > I think it is worth it, its not much of a life sitting there with a fuzzy
    > view and he is virtually deaf too. (He uses msn to talk to people.)
    >
    > Anyway this has nowt to do with linux so it probably best to stop here.

    Perhaps.

    --
    Moog

    “Are you going to come quietly, or do I have to use earplugs?”

  12. Re: Vista users. Why bother to answer them?

    Bill wrote:
    > 95 was flat out the worst thing Microsoft has ever done.

    Having used both 95 and ME, I disagree.

    I think ME sucked the worst. But I'll admit that it was
    only one system, so perhaps the owner had screwed up something
    to make it worse.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    "A man with an experience is never
    at the mercy of a man with an argument."
    -- Ron Allen

  13. Re: Vista users. Why bother to answer them?

    On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 00:37:01 +0000, Wes Groleau wrote:

    > Bill wrote:
    >> 95 was flat out the worst thing Microsoft has ever done.

    > Having used both 95 and ME, I disagree.
    >
    > I think ME sucked the worst. But I'll admit that it was only one system,
    > so perhaps the owner had screwed up something to make it worse.

    I wasn't just you that found that, rest assured a whole bundle of others
    found ME to be utter crap too.

    95 with IE4 thrust upon it in the days of so little RAM and slow CPUs was
    also a major headache, enabling/disabling active desktop would make the
    difference between a usable machine and a one legged man in an arse
    kicking contest.

    --
    Q: Want to lower petrol prices?
    A: Easy, just boycott BP & Esso

  14. Re: Vista users. Why bother to answer them?

    Bill wrote:
    > Cork Soaker wrote:
    >> TomB wrote:

    >>> O_o
    >>>
    >>> We are the Ubuntu. We will assimilate you. Resistance is futile.
    >>>
    >>> Scary, although I'd die to see 7-of-9 in a Human-themed outfit.
    >>>

    >> I prefer T'pol. I'd pray to her.

    > Since you guys went Off Topic, how about Trisha Helfer from BSG?
    > Those skin tight red dresses always make me forget the plot.
    > Bill Baka

    Ah, you are quite right. Maybe the two of them together?

    Oh dear, accident.

  15. Re: Vista users. Why bother to answer them?

    * dennis@home wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > "Trevor Best" wrote in message
    > newsan.2008.06.11.19.22.06.476943@besty.org.uk...

    [...]

    >> He did have a point, you slated Linux for lack of software for
    >> someone partially blind and seemed to favour Windows

    > No I did not!
    > You really are an idiot.

    No, you're the idiot, here:

    [Q]
    Linux wouldn't be much use as I can't find much in the way of software that
    actually helps an 87 yo with cataracts to be able to use a computer.
    [/Q]

    > I said *I* couldn't find anything, that is not knocking linux.

    How about explaing WHY it wouldnt be much use? Why is it any worse than
    Windows? That was a blatant slag and youve been called on it, no pony up a
    valid response.

    > You should get a life or bugger off.
    >
    >> for that but could not
    >> elaborate on it. So it would appear your original statement was
    >> unfounded.

    > It is perfectly sound you may be too stupid to understand what is said
    > but that is your fault.

    Still trolling I see...

    --
    David

  16. Re: Vista users. Why bother to answer them?

    "SINNER" wrote in message
    news:Xns9ABC67B1C32Flouiscypherhellorg@140.99.99.1 30...
    > * dennis@home wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >
    >> "Trevor Best" wrote in message
    >> newsan.2008.06.11.19.22.06.476943@besty.org.uk...

    > [...]
    >

    >>> He did have a point, you slated Linux for lack of software for
    >>> someone partially blind and seemed to favour Windows

    >> No I did not!
    >> You really are an idiot.

    > No, you're the idiot, here:
    >
    > [Q]
    > Linux wouldn't be much use as I can't find much in the way of software
    > that
    > actually helps an 87 yo with cataracts to be able to use a computer.
    > [/Q]
    >

    >> I said *I* couldn't find anything, that is not knocking linux.

    > How about explaing WHY it wouldnt be much use? Why is it any worse than
    > Windows? That was a blatant slag and youve been called on it, no pony up a
    > valid response.

    Oh dear the morons back.
    Lets explain it in English that is so simple even you can understand what
    you quoted..

    He is using the windows with some software which I don't know where it came
    from so windows is OK.
    Got it so far?

    If he is going to use linux I am going to have to put it on.

    Still with me?

    I can't find any linux software to do what he wants, there may be software
    that does it but I don't know what.

    So is that simple enough?

    Now sod off!
    You really aren't worth the stress on the electrons needed to post.

  17. Re: Vista users. Why bother to answer them?

    "dennis@home" wrote in message

    > "SINNER" wrote in message
    > news:Xns9ABC67B1C32Flouiscypherhellorg@140.99.99.1 30...
    >> * dennis@home wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >>
    >>> "Trevor Best" wrote in message
    >>> newsan.2008.06.11.19.22.06.476943@besty.org.uk...

    >> [...]
    >>>
    >>> No I did not!
    >>> You really are an idiot.

    >> No, you're the idiot, here:
    >>
    >> [Q]
    >> Linux wouldn't be much use as I can't find much in the way of software
    >> that
    >> actually helps an 87 yo with cataracts to be able to use a computer.
    >> [/Q]
    >>

    >>> I said *I* couldn't find anything, that is not knocking linux.

    >> How about explaing WHY it wouldnt be much use? Why is it any worse than
    >> Windows? That was a blatant slag and youve been called on it, no pony up
    >> valid response.

    > Oh dear the morons back.
    > Lets explain it in English that is so simple even you can understand what
    > you quoted..
    >
    > He is using the windows with some software which I don't know where it
    > came from so windows is OK.
    > Got it so far?
    >
    > If he is going to use linux I am going to have to put it on.
    >
    > Still with me?
    >
    > I can't find any linux software to do what he wants, there may be software
    > that does it but I don't know what.
    >
    > So is that simple enough?
    >

    > Now sod off!
    > You really aren't worth the stress on the electrons needed to post.

    I nominate dennis as the resident troll in this ng.

  18. Re: Vista users. Why bother to answer them?

    On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 17:10:53 +0000, Canuck57 wrote:

    >> Now sod off!
    >> You really aren't worth the stress on the electrons needed to post.

    > I nominate dennis as the resident troll in this ng.

    That's been established for a while now, n00b.

    Quit feeding the trolls.

    Now filtering out all posts originating from Google Groups.

  19. Re: Vista users. Why bother to answer them?

    * dennis@home wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    Funny, my thoughts exactly and your trolling ability has gotten rusty, you
    seem out or practice.

    > Oh dear the morons back.
    > Lets explain it in English that is so simple even you can understand
    > what you quoted..
    >
    > He is using the windows with some software which I don't know where it
    > came from so windows is OK.
    > Got it so far?

    We ALL got that except you let me re quote the relevant part for this
    discussion

    >I don't know where it
    > came from

    So you dont have any idea what the software he uses is or where he got it,
    got that so far?

    > If he is going to use linux I am going to have to put it on.

    Right, which we have already determined that you are incapable of, please
    reference your thread regarding WUBI.

    > Still with me?
    >
    > I can't find any linux software to do what he wants,

    You dont know that, since you dont know what that software is yet you still
    said:

    [Q]
    Linux wouldn't be much use as I can't find much in the way of software
    that actually helps an 87 yo with cataracts to be able to use a computer.
    [/Q]

    > there may be
    > software that does it but I don't know what.
    >
    > So is that simple enough?

    Not for you to see where the error in your previous statements are. Dont
    you find it the least bit curious that EVERYONE that responded to your post
    had the exact same sentiement? NB: you already told me that we need 10
    Moog's to 'correct the damage I do' but even Moog agrees! Now what?

    > Now sod off!
    > You really aren't worth the stress on the electrons needed to post.

    It takes dozens of us REAL Linux users to correct your trolls and blatently
    incorrect statments.

    --
    David

  20. Re: Vista users. Why bother to answer them?

    * Dan C wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 17:10:53 +0000, Canuck57 wrote:
    >
    >>> Now sod off!
    >>> You really aren't worth the stress on the electrons needed to post.

    >> I nominate dennis as the resident troll in this ng.

    > That's been established for a while now, n00b.
    >
    > Quit feeding the trolls.

    Ah but come on dad, dont spoil our fun, we have so few trolls in this
    group!

    --
    David