Help w. Nautilus annoyances: icon created in Nautilus forpermanently mounted partition, etc. - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Help w. Nautilus annoyances: icon created in Nautilus forpermanently mounted partition, etc. - Ubuntu ; Nautilus annoyance #1: ---------------------- I have a large partition on my 200GB HDD with some bunch of unrelated data. I want to mount it into /home/user_name/data folder I created. I edited my fstab to my wish and rebooted. The partition ...

  1. Help w. Nautilus annoyances: icon created in Nautilus forpermanently mounted partition, etc.

    Nautilus annoyance #1:
    ----------------------

    I have a large partition on my 200GB HDD with some bunch of unrelated
    data. I want to mount it into /home/user_name/data folder I created. I
    edited my fstab to my wish and rebooted.

    The partition is mounted and I can happily use it accessing my ~/data
    folder but...

    Nautilus is dumb enough to create an absolutely unneeded and unwanted
    icon in the Tree view of its browser Side Pane.

    While I want instead my mounted partition being absolutely transparent
    for a user. I want the user to use /home/user_name/data folder as it
    would be just a regular folder with a bunch of data in it.

    I do not want additional icons providing and additional and confusing to
    the user point of access to the same ~/data folder in his/her home
    directory.

    Is there any way to stop this icons creation? Anybody knows whether it
    is achievable? Anny suggestions, please?

    Nautilus annoyance #2:
    ----------------------

    In addition to all above an icon is created on my desktop. Yes, I can go
    to Configuration Manager and uncheck volumes_visible properties. It will
    remove the icon from the desktop.

    But it would also stop the icons for removable media being created. And I
    do want icons for removable media being created.

    Is there a solution for this, please?

    Nautilus annoyance #3:
    ----------------------

    While creating the icon to partition in ~/data as described above,
    Nautilus gives it irritable name "50GB Media".

    It actually names this way any manually mounted partition too. When such
    a default name for removable drives and removable media would be more or
    less appropriate this is quite stupid default name choice for each
    partition on you own hard drive.

    I'm not asking any questions here, since I still can survive with this.
    It just annoyed me to death and had to say it out. :-)))

    Thank you.

  2. Re: Help w. Nautilus annoyances... WORKAROUND FOUND for #1

    "Vitorio Okio" wrote in message
    > Nautilus annoyance #1:
    > ----------------------
    >
    > I have a large partition on my 200GB HDD with some bunch of
    > unrelated
    > data. I want to mount it into /home/user_name/data folder I
    > created. I
    > edited my fstab to my wish and rebooted.
    >
    > The partition is mounted and I can happily use it accessing my
    > ~/data
    > folder but...
    >
    > Nautilus is dumb enough to create an absolutely unneeded and
    > unwanted
    > icon in the Tree view of its browser Side Pane.
    >
    > While I want instead my mounted partition being absolutely
    > transparent
    > for a user. I want the user to use /home/user_name/data folder as
    > it
    > would be just a regular folder with a bunch of data in it.
    >
    > I do not want additional icons providing and additional and
    > confusing to
    > the user point of access to the same ~/data folder in his/her home
    > directory.
    >
    > Is there any way to stop this icons creation? Anybody knows whether
    > it
    > is achievable? Anny suggestions, please?

    First I forgotten to mention that I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 LTS.

    Second it looks like I myself found an acceptable for now workarround
    for the annoyance #1.

    The behaviour as decribed was the same with any other chosen mount
    point. I've tried to mount in /mnt/data, /var/data, and
    /home/user_name/data with the same trouble.

    Just a minute ago I tried to create folder in /home directory
    instead of /home/user_name/ directory and then mounted it there.
    Weiredly enough it get mounted and Nautilus did not create any icons
    at this time neither in its Browser nor on my desktop.

    Then I just created a link named from /home/user_name/data directory
    to /home/data and bingo. I can work with that partition the way I
    wanted without unneded icons clutter.

    I still think its a kind of buggy behaviour of Nautilus though.

  3. Re: Help w. Nautilus annoyances: icon created in Nautilus for permanentlymounted partition, etc.

    Vitorio Okio wrote:

    > Nautilus annoyance #3:
    > ----------------------
    >
    > While creating the icon to partition in ~/data as described above,
    > Nautilus gives it irritable name "50GB Media".
    >
    > It actually names this way any manually mounted partition too. When such
    > a default name for removable drives and removable media would be more or
    > less appropriate this is quite stupid default name choice for each
    > partition on you own hard drive.

    Give the partition a new label, and that's what will be displayed:

    sudo e2label /dev/sdxy label_name

    Unmount/remount (or reboot).

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5

  4. Re: Help w. Nautilus annoyances: icon created in Nautilus for permanently mounted partition, etc.

    "Mark Warner" wrote in message
    > Vitorio Okio wrote:
    >
    >> Nautilus annoyance #3:
    >> ----------------------
    >>
    >> While creating the icon to partition in ~/data as described above,
    >> Nautilus gives it irritable name "50GB Media". It actually names
    >> this way any manually mounted partition too. When such a default
    >> name for removable drives and removable media would be more or less
    >> appropriate this is quite stupid default name choice for each
    >> partition on you own hard drive.

    > Give the partition a new label, and that's what will be displayed:
    >
    > sudo e2label /dev/sdxy label_name
    >
    > Unmount/remount (or reboot).

    Great. #3, I expected the least, is resolved too. Thought the
    biggest trouble for me was actually #1, #3 is very nice to have.
    Thanks.

    Now only #2 remained. I'm myself not sure it can be actually
    achieved. It looks more like a current Nautilus limitation. Well, I
    guess I can live with it.

    The only my concern with the workaround I found for #1 is that
    Nautilus team may "fix" :-) it eventually, and I will face it up again
    after some update. :-(

+ Reply to Thread