Interesting Printer Fault - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Interesting Printer Fault - Ubuntu ; I've been printing remotely from my 7.10 Box in my basement workshop to a USB printer that is connected to an Apple Airport Extreme on the second floor. It's worked great for weeks. One day, the little printer Icon on ...

  1. Interesting Printer Fault

    I've been printing remotely from my 7.10 Box in my basement workshop to a
    USB printer that is connected to an Apple Airport Extreme on the second
    floor. It's worked great for weeks.

    One day, the little printer Icon on the panel did not blink out. I
    clicked on it and found that printing was halted. I couldn't print
    anything.

    I went upstairs and found that half a page had printed out. So what
    happened? I tried again and no more printing and NO ERROR MESSAGES.

    I took the ink carts. out and weighed them. Yes, I weigh them before I
    insert them and when I take them out. I'm compiling some statistics on
    how much ink is actually in them.

    Back to the story. I found that the black ink cart. was empty. This is
    the first time one had gone empty on this setup. I replaced the black
    cart. and printing resumed normally. When I used to connect directly to
    the printer from my Mac, the HP software would tell me that the cart. is
    empty and to replace it. No such feedback here.

    Why do I care? Because I'm printing remotely and I don't want to be
    running up and down two flights of stairs every time I get a glitch in
    the printing. (Maybe I should for the exercise.)

    There should be a mechanism that sends back status to the Ubuntu
    environment. Obviously Ubuntu knows enough to say printing has stopped.

    Am I missing something?

    Al

  2. Re: Interesting Printer Fault

    Al illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > Am I missing something?

    Yes. You're not taking into account third party nonsense from Apple.

    Of course it works with Apple Macs, take it away from that environment
    though and it will work (due to neat hacking from FOSS developers) but
    your proprietory Apple malarkey is tied up like a monkeys clackers.

    Hence. Improper, oe none existent reporting back.

    HTH.

    --
    Moog

    "The G is for the gnarled face of someone who's on ninety thousand
    pounds a week who reckoned he should have had a throw in"

  3. Re: Interesting Printer Fault

    Al schreef:
    > I've been printing remotely from my 7.10 Box in my basement workshop to a
    > USB printer that is connected to an Apple Airport Extreme on the second
    > floor. It's worked great for weeks.
    >
    > One day, the little printer Icon on the panel did not blink out. I
    > clicked on it and found that printing was halted. I couldn't print
    > anything.
    >
    > I went upstairs and found that half a page had printed out. So what
    > happened? I tried again and no more printing and NO ERROR MESSAGES.
    >
    > I took the ink carts. out and weighed them. Yes, I weigh them before I
    > insert them and when I take them out. I'm compiling some statistics on
    > how much ink is actually in them.
    >
    > Back to the story. I found that the black ink cart. was empty. This is
    > the first time one had gone empty on this setup. I replaced the black
    > cart. and printing resumed normally. When I used to connect directly to
    > the printer from my Mac, the HP software would tell me that the cart. is
    > empty and to replace it. No such feedback here.
    >
    > Why do I care? Because I'm printing remotely and I don't want to be
    > running up and down two flights of stairs every time I get a glitch in
    > the printing. (Maybe I should for the exercise.)
    >
    > There should be a mechanism that sends back status to the Ubuntu
    > environment. Obviously Ubuntu knows enough to say printing has stopped.
    >
    > Am I missing something?

    As far as I can tell from the story above you must have one of these
    elusive Generic Printers.

    But if I'm wrong and it does have a brand name you might know the
    manufacturer supplied you with with drivers, either on a disk, from the
    net or as part of your OS install.
    Have you installed/ used their Linux drivers?
    If not why don't you?

    > Al

  4. Re: Interesting Printer Fault

    On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 22:28:23 +0200, Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:

    > Al schreef:
    >> I've been printing remotely from my 7.10 Box in my basement workshop to
    >> a USB printer that is connected to an Apple Airport Extreme on the
    >> second floor. It's worked great for weeks.
    >>
    >> One day, the little printer Icon on the panel did not blink out. I
    >> clicked on it and found that printing was halted. I couldn't print
    >> anything.
    >>
    >> I went upstairs and found that half a page had printed out. So what
    >> happened? I tried again and no more printing and NO ERROR MESSAGES.
    >>
    >> I took the ink carts. out and weighed them. Yes, I weigh them before I
    >> insert them and when I take them out. I'm compiling some statistics on
    >> how much ink is actually in them.
    >>
    >> Back to the story. I found that the black ink cart. was empty. This is
    >> the first time one had gone empty on this setup. I replaced the black
    >> cart. and printing resumed normally. When I used to connect directly to
    >> the printer from my Mac, the HP software would tell me that the cart.
    >> is empty and to replace it. No such feedback here.
    >>
    >> Why do I care? Because I'm printing remotely and I don't want to be
    >> running up and down two flights of stairs every time I get a glitch in
    >> the printing. (Maybe I should for the exercise.)
    >>
    >> There should be a mechanism that sends back status to the Ubuntu
    >> environment. Obviously Ubuntu knows enough to say printing has stopped.
    >>
    >> Am I missing something?

    > As far as I can tell from the story above you must have one of these
    > elusive Generic Printers.
    >
    > But if I'm wrong and it does have a brand name you might know the
    > manufacturer supplied you with with drivers, either on a disk, from the
    > net or as part of your OS install.
    > Have you installed/ used their Linux drivers? If not why don't you?
    >

    >> Al

    I picked up the printer, an HP 6110, at our town's recycling center
    bereft of all documentation. But, at your advice, I checked out the HP
    support site and found the linux drivers. I've been using the ones
    supplied by Ubuntu. Are they the same?

    Al

+ Reply to Thread