x86_64 -- AMD compatible with Intel? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on x86_64 -- AMD compatible with Intel? - Ubuntu ; I currently have a AMD based x86_64 mobo and 64 bit Hardy. I am thinking of upgrading to the latest and greatest CPU and wanted to try Intel (64 bit). Does anyone know if AMD64 and Intel 64 are compatible ...

  1. x86_64 -- AMD compatible with Intel?

    I currently have a AMD based x86_64 mobo and 64 bit Hardy. I am
    thinking of upgrading to the latest and greatest CPU and wanted to try
    Intel (64 bit).

    Does anyone know if AMD64 and Intel 64 are compatible and will run the
    same install of Hardy that I have right now?
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  2. Re: x86_64 -- AMD compatible with Intel?

    On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 07:52:47 -0500, Ignoramus28189 wrote:

    > I currently have a AMD based x86_64 mobo and 64 bit Hardy. I am
    > thinking of upgrading to the latest and greatest CPU and wanted to try
    > Intel (64 bit).

    Wise move.

    > Does anyone know if AMD64 and Intel 64 are compatible and will run the
    > same install of Hardy that I have right now?

    Of course they are "compatible". You'll need a new mobo, of course.
    Either will run Hardy-64 just fine.

    Now filtering out all posts originating from Google Groups.

  3. Re: x86_64 -- AMD compatible with Intel?

    On 2008-06-03, Dan C wrote:
    > On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 07:52:47 -0500, Ignoramus28189 wrote:
    >
    >> I currently have a AMD based x86_64 mobo and 64 bit Hardy. I am
    >> thinking of upgrading to the latest and greatest CPU and wanted to try
    >> Intel (64 bit).

    > Wise move.

    Just curious why you think so?

    Myself, I just want to try something new for no particular reason.
    I have a feeling that Intels are a little faster nowadays.

    >> Does anyone know if AMD64 and Intel 64 are compatible and will run the
    >> same install of Hardy that I have right now?

    > Of course they are "compatible". You'll need a new mobo, of course.

    Sure.

    > Either will run Hardy-64 just fine.

    That's great to know.
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  4. Re: x86_64 -- AMD compatible with Intel?

    On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 09:00:51 -0500, Ignoramus28189 wrote:

    >>> I currently have a AMD based x86_64 mobo and 64 bit Hardy. I am
    >>> thinking of upgrading to the latest and greatest CPU and wanted to try
    >>> Intel (64 bit).

    >> Wise move.

    > Just curious why you think so?

    Well, I was always a fan of AMD processors in days gone by, but nowadays,
    I don't think you can beat the cost/performance provided by the Core2Duo
    (or even Core2Quad) processors by Intel. Especially the Duo's, as they
    are now fairly cheap and really are very powerful.

    I've got a desktop with a Core2Duo E6600 (2.4 Ghz) and a new Sony Vaio
    laptop with the Core2Duo T8300 (2.4Ghz), and they are both screamers.

    Now filtering out all posts originating from Google Groups.

  5. Re: x86_64 -- AMD compatible with Intel?

    On 2008-06-03, Dan C wrote:

    >>> Wise move.

    >> Just curious why you think so?

    > Well, I was always a fan of AMD processors in days gone by, but nowadays,
    > I don't think you can beat the cost/performance provided by the Core2Duo
    > (or even Core2Quad) processors by Intel. Especially the Duo's, as they
    > are now fairly cheap and really are very powerful.
    >
    > I've got a desktop with a Core2Duo E6600 (2.4 Ghz) and a new Sony Vaio
    > laptop with the Core2Duo T8300 (2.4Ghz), and they are both screamers.

    I would like to buy something very fast that is compatible with my 800
    MHZ memory (of which I have 8 gig).

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  6. Re: x86_64 -- AMD compatible with Intel?

    On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 07:44:29 -0700, Ignoramus28189
    wrote:

    >>> Just curious why you think so?

    >> Well, I was always a fan of AMD processors in days gone by, but
    >> nowadays,
    >> I don't think you can beat the cost/performance provided by the Core2Duo
    >> (or even Core2Quad) processors by Intel. Especially the Duo's, as they
    >> are now fairly cheap and really are very powerful.
    >>
    >> I've got a desktop with a Core2Duo E6600 (2.4 Ghz) and a new Sony Vaio
    >> laptop with the Core2Duo T8300 (2.4Ghz), and they are both screamers.

    > I would like to buy something very fast that is compatible with my 800
    > MHZ memory (of which I have 8 gig).

    Here you go:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...nd&Pagesize=50

    They are all Intel compatable motherboards that have a maximum between 8
    and 16 GB RAM @ 800 mhz.

  7. Re: x86_64 -- AMD compatible with Intel?

    On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 07:52:47 -0500, Ignoramus28189 wrote:

    > I currently have a AMD based x86_64 mobo and 64 bit Hardy. I am thinking
    > of upgrading to the latest and greatest CPU and wanted to try Intel (64
    > bit).
    >
    > Does anyone know if AMD64 and Intel 64 are compatible and will run the
    > same install of Hardy that I have right now?

    Software compatible yes, hardware compatible no. You will need a new
    motherboard if you want to switch to a Core2. You won't have to do
    anything to your Linux install, it will work just fine with the new
    hardware. When you boot the new hardware it will recognize the new
    devices and configure them.

    The only difference between a Core2 and the A64 from a software point of
    view are the virtualization instructions, AMD and Intel went their own
    way on those. However both are supported by all of the different
    virtualization packages. If you are using vmware then you will have to
    run vmware-config.pl again but you have to do that everytime you upgrade
    the kernel anyway. My guess is that Xen and KVM will just work without
    having to do anything.

  8. Re: x86_64 -- AMD compatible with Intel?

    Dan C wrote:

    >>> Wise move.

    >> Just curious why you think so?

    > Well, I was always a fan of AMD processors in days gone by, but nowadays,
    > I don't think you can beat the cost/performance provided by the Core2Duo
    > (or even Core2Quad) processors by Intel. Especially the Duo's, as they
    > are now fairly cheap and really are very powerful.
    >
    > I've got a desktop with a Core2Duo E6600 (2.4 Ghz) and a new Sony Vaio
    > laptop with the Core2Duo T8300 (2.4Ghz), and they are both screamers.

    I can't side with that argument, since I hate the Wintel deal, both
    companies. If people jump back to Intel and AMD sinks do you really
    think Intel is going to give a rat's ass about innovating? Not!

    Bill Baka

+ Reply to Thread