Swapping hard drives - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Swapping hard drives - Ubuntu ; Sort of a strange question. I have two laptops. My older laptop has a much larger hard drive then my newer one. I would like to put my bigger hard drive in the faster newer laptop. (Replacing it's drive completely.) ...

  1. Swapping hard drives

    Sort of a strange question. I have two laptops. My older laptop has a
    much larger hard drive then my newer one. I would like to put my bigger
    hard drive in the faster newer laptop. (Replacing it's drive
    completely.) I have Ubuntu 8.04 installed on the drive. Both computers
    are very different. The old one is a Compaq Prosignia, my newer one is a
    Dell. So with all that being said...

    Can I just swap them out. Will Linux be smart enough to know there is
    different hardware, recognize it, save the changes and move on... or will
    it choke like it would with Windows? (Not bashing Windows, just know
    that the registry has everything set, and would likely not even boot up.)

    Or is the best bet, doing a complete reload after installing the larger
    drive in the faster system? Thanks for your help with this matter.

    Lee

  2. Re: Swapping hard drives

    On 2008-06-02, Lee A. Wentzel wrote:
    > Sort of a strange question. I have two laptops. My older laptop has a
    > much larger hard drive then my newer one. I would like to put my bigger
    > hard drive in the faster newer laptop. (Replacing it's drive
    > completely.) I have Ubuntu 8.04 installed on the drive. Both computers
    > are very different. The old one is a Compaq Prosignia, my newer one is a
    > Dell. So with all that being said...
    >
    > Can I just swap them out. Will Linux be smart enough to know there is
    > different hardware, recognize it, save the changes and move on... or will
    > it choke like it would with Windows? (Not bashing Windows, just know
    > that the registry has everything set, and would likely not even boot up.)
    >
    > Or is the best bet, doing a complete reload after installing the larger
    > drive in the faster system? Thanks for your help with this matter.

    I did this before and it worked fine for me.

    It does not mean that it will work fine for you, but it is worth a
    try.

    Some things may need to be re-setup, like your modem settings or maybe
    wifi settings.

    But Linux has been designed for the exact thing that you want to do.

    Save a backup of your data, obviously.
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  3. Re: Swapping hard drives

    On 2008-06-02, Ignoramus27711 wrote:
    > On 2008-06-02, Lee A. Wentzel wrote:
    >> Sort of a strange question. I have two laptops. My older laptop has a
    >> much larger hard drive then my newer one. I would like to put my bigger
    >> hard drive in the faster newer laptop. (Replacing it's drive
    >> completely.) I have Ubuntu 8.04 installed on the drive. Both computers
    >> are very different. The old one is a Compaq Prosignia, my newer one is a
    >> Dell. So with all that being said...
    >>
    >> Can I just swap them out. Will Linux be smart enough to know there is
    >> different hardware, recognize it, save the changes and move on... or will
    >> it choke like it would with Windows? (Not bashing Windows, just know
    >> that the registry has everything set, and would likely not even boot up.)
    >>
    >> Or is the best bet, doing a complete reload after installing the larger
    >> drive in the faster system? Thanks for your help with this matter.

    > I did this before and it worked fine for me.
    >
    > It does not mean that it will work fine for you, but it is worth a
    > try.
    >
    > Some things may need to be re-setup, like your modem settings or maybe
    > wifi settings.
    >
    > But Linux has been designed for the exact thing that you want to do.
    >
    > Save a backup of your data, obviously.

    Also check your fstab settings to see if there is anything stupid.

    You can post your /etc/fstab here.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  4. Re: Swapping hard drives

    Lee A. Wentzel wrote:
    > I have two laptops.

    LTs don't always swap things well.

    > My older laptop has a
    > much larger hard drive then my newer one.

    How old is old and how new is new? New LTs are SATA, old are IDE.

    > Or is the best bet, doing a complete reload after installing the larger
    > drive in the faster system?

    I would approach this problem from the perspective of hardware
    identification on both systems.

    If the hardware were compatible, I'm pretty sure I would prefer to
    reinstall, but maybe that is because I'm lazy and it seems so easy that
    way.

    --
    Mike Easter

  5. Re: Swapping hard drives

    Off topic for this post, I know. But how do you get that little devil's
    head icon to show next to your From in the header?

    Cheers

  6. Re: Swapping hard drives

    On Monday 02 Jun 2008 17:43 Coffeeman licked a pencil and jotted:

    > Off topic for this post, I know. But how do you get that little devil's
    > head icon to show next to your From in the header?
    >
    > Cheers

    Tip: Google x-face

    David
    --
    Knowledge is of two kinds: we know a subject ourselves, or we know where we
    can find information upon it. (Samuel Johnson)

  7. Re: Swapping hard drives

    Lee A. Wentzel wrote:

    > Can I just swap them out. Will Linux be smart enough to know there is
    > different hardware, recognize it, save the changes and move on...

    You might be surprised.
    My sisters 2K box got rooted so I went over to reinstall. Grabbed an old
    HDD out of the drawer with the intention of slaving it and dragging off
    all her stuff before reinstalling.
    Plugged in the drive, fired it up and it booted to Linux!
    This HDD had last seen service in an old PII box (Elsa video?) that I
    was tinkering with Edgy on.
    Still, it managed to figure out how to boot on a P4 with on board Intel
    graphics.

  8. Re: Swapping hard drives

    On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 17:28:59 +0000, Baldylocks-Ubuntu passed an empty day
    by writing:

    > On Monday 02 Jun 2008 17:43 Coffeeman licked a pencil and jotted:
    >

    >> Off topic for this post, I know. But how do you get that little devil's
    >> head icon to show next to your From in the header?
    >>
    >> Cheers

    > Tip: Google x-face
    >
    > David

    Cool! - if I could figure how to get it into Evolution I would be cooking
    on gas!

  9. Re: Swapping hard drives

    Coffeeman wrote:

    > Off topic for this post, I know. But how do you get that little devil's
    > head icon to show next to your From in the header?

    Your Pan supports X-Face display which is why you can see it in those
    posts which have such a header.

    I think that you can add one of your own in your Pan by editing your
    posting profile in Pan's 'extra headers'.

    I see in Pan 0.126 Edit menu/ Edit posting profiles/ (select your profile)
    edit/ Optional information section - Extra headers: (edit)

    I think you could put a X-Face: with values in there and you would get
    one, but I haven't tried it, and searching shows me old commentary which
    sez that Pan doesn't. That's also what the wikipedia sez, but the
    wikipedia is good when it is right and 'bad'/misleading when it is wrong.

    --
    Mike Easter

  10. Re: Swapping hard drives

    On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 11:25:55 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:

    > Coffeeman wrote:
    >
    >> Off topic for this post, I know. But how do you get that little devil's
    >> head icon to show next to your From in the header?

    > Your Pan supports X-Face display which is why you can see it in those
    > posts which have such a header.
    >
    > I think that you can add one of your own in your Pan by editing your
    > posting profile in Pan's 'extra headers'.
    >
    > I see in Pan 0.126 Edit menu/ Edit posting profiles/ (select your
    > profile) edit/ Optional information section - Extra headers: (edit)
    >
    > I think you could put a X-Face: with values in there and you would get
    > one, but I haven't tried it, and searching shows me old commentary which
    > sez that Pan doesn't. That's also what the wikipedia sez, but the
    > wikipedia is good when it is right and 'bad'/misleading when it is
    > wrong.

    I used an X-face generator at: http://www.dairiki.org/xface/xface.php

    Seems to work pretty good. Had a couple of failures because the
    generator makes 2 lines of the code, and PAN won't handle the break. It
    worked when I backed the space out.

    The version of Pan in the repositories--0.132 has a place for extra
    headers in Edit | edit posting profiles | edit | extra headers. Don't
    know about the stable version of Pan everyone seems to be using except
    moi.

    Thanks to Baldylocks for pointing me in the right direction.

    Cheers

  11. Re: Swapping hard drives

    On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 17:28:59 +0000, Baldylocks-Ubuntu wrote:

    > On Monday 02 Jun 2008 17:43 Coffeeman licked a pencil and jotted:
    >

    >> Off topic for this post, I know. But how do you get that little devil's
    >> head icon to show next to your From in the header?
    >>
    >> Cheers

    > Tip: Google x-face
    >
    > David

    Did it. Thank you.

    How do you like Knode vs Pan? I'm an ex-Agent user.

    Cheers

  12. Re: Swapping hard drives

    On Monday 02 Jun 2008 21:09 Coffeeman licked a pencil and jotted:

    > On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 17:28:59 +0000, Baldylocks-Ubuntu wrote:
    >
    >> On Monday 02 Jun 2008 17:43 Coffeeman licked a pencil and jotted:
    >>

    >>> Off topic for this post, I know. But how do you get that little devil's
    >>> head icon to show next to your From in the header?
    >>>
    >>> Cheers

    >> Tip: Google x-face
    >>
    >> David

    > Did it. Thank you.
    >
    > How do you like Knode vs Pan? I'm an ex-Agent user.
    >
    > Cheers

    Only ever really used knode in anger, it was OE before that lol. I came to
    Linux just over a year ago, tried blunderbird as it was the first one that
    came to mind when I started in Gnome - hated it with a passion, then found
    that I could add knode to kontact.

    I like kontact as a container for mail, calendar, rss, contacts, news etc
    and find knode does everything I require of a news reader (except offline,
    but I am going to be looking at leafnode again soon for that) and does it
    quickly and simply.

    I am a KDE user in case you hadn't guessed btw

    David
    --
    Knowledge is of two kinds: we know a subject ourselves, or we know where we
    can find information upon it. (Samuel Johnson)
    Only the mediocre are always at their best. (Jean Giraudoux)
    (Reply address genuine - Checked occasionally)

  13. Re: Swapping hard drives

    On Monday 02 Jun 2008 21:04 Coffeeman licked a pencil and jotted:

    > On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 11:25:55 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:
    >
    >> Coffeeman wrote:
    >>
    >>> Off topic for this post, I know. But how do you get that little devil's
    >>> head icon to show next to your From in the header?

    >> Your Pan supports X-Face display which is why you can see it in those
    >> posts which have such a header.
    >>
    >> I think that you can add one of your own in your Pan by editing your
    >> posting profile in Pan's 'extra headers'.
    >>
    >> I see in Pan 0.126 Edit menu/ Edit posting profiles/ (select your
    >> profile) edit/ Optional information section - Extra headers: (edit)
    >>
    >> I think you could put a X-Face: with values in there and you would get
    >> one, but I haven't tried it, and searching shows me old commentary which
    >> sez that Pan doesn't. That's also what the wikipedia sez, but the
    >> wikipedia is good when it is right and 'bad'/misleading when it is
    >> wrong.

    > I used an X-face generator at: http://www.dairiki.org/xface/xface.php
    >
    > Seems to work pretty good. Had a couple of failures because the
    > generator makes 2 lines of the code, and PAN won't handle the break. It
    > worked when I backed the space out.
    >
    > The version of Pan in the repositories--0.132 has a place for extra
    > headers in Edit | edit posting profiles | edit | extra headers. Don't
    > know about the stable version of Pan everyone seems to be using except
    > moi.
    >
    > Thanks to Baldylocks for pointing me in the right direction.
    >
    > Cheers

    Heh, glad to be of some small assistance, about time I was able to start
    putting something back into the group, albeit not much yet

    David
    --
    Knowledge is of two kinds: we know a subject ourselves, or we know where we
    can find information upon it. (Samuel Johnson)
    Only the mediocre are always at their best. (Jean Giraudoux)
    (Reply address genuine - Checked occasionally)

  14. Re: Swapping hard drives

    On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 21:36:56 +0000, Baldylocks-Ubuntu wrote:

    > On Monday 02 Jun 2008 21:09 Coffeeman licked a pencil and jotted:
    >
    >> On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 17:28:59 +0000, Baldylocks-Ubuntu wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Monday 02 Jun 2008 17:43 Coffeeman licked a pencil and jotted:

    >>> Tip: Google x-face
    >>>
    >>> David

    >> Did it. Thank you.
    >>
    >> How do you like Knode vs Pan? I'm an ex-Agent user.
    >>
    >> Cheers

    > Only ever really used knode in anger, it was OE before that lol. I came
    > to Linux just over a year ago, tried blunderbird as it was the first one
    > that came to mind when I started in Gnome - hated it with a passion,
    > then found that I could add knode to kontact.
    >
    > I like kontact as a container for mail, calendar, rss, contacts, news
    > etc and find knode does everything I require of a news reader (except
    > offline, but I am going to be looking at leafnode again soon for that)
    > and does it quickly and simply.
    >
    > I am a KDE user in case you hadn't guessed btw
    >
    > David

    I suspected you were KDE. I'm Gnome by default because it seems more
    minimal than KDE. Tried Xubuntu, but it was a bit too simple. KDE loads
    K-everything, and it seems a bit heavy on eye candy, though I've found
    some of it necessary such as the k3b burner.

    I loved Agent newsreader,and Gimp isn't Photoshop. But had to ditch them
    when I made the decision to shun Vista, The cost for upgrading all the
    software from XP to Vista more than equaled a new system!

    I pretty much got pushed into Linux about a year or so ago with the A+,
    Network+ and Linux+ coursework. I tried the top dozen distributions on
    distrowatch and settled on Ubuntu--so Gnome.

    I've been aching to try the new KDE 4, and just torrented down the DVD. I
    use Google/ig to package everything up sort of like you use Kontact, but
    it's good to know about Kontact as a container for all that.

    Cheers

  15. Re: Swapping hard drives

    On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 19:15:17 -0700, Coffeeman
    wrote:

    > On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 21:36:56 +0000, Baldylocks-Ubuntu wrote:

    >>> Did it. Thank you.
    >>>
    >>> How do you like Knode vs Pan? I'm an ex-Agent user.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers

    >> Only ever really used knode in anger, it was OE before that lol. I came
    >> to Linux just over a year ago, tried blunderbird as it was the first one
    >> that came to mind when I started in Gnome - hated it with a passion,
    >> then found that I could add knode to kontact.
    >>
    >> I like kontact as a container for mail, calendar, rss, contacts, news
    >> etc and find knode does everything I require of a news reader (except
    >> offline, but I am going to be looking at leafnode again soon for that)
    >> and does it quickly and simply.
    >>
    >> I am a KDE user in case you hadn't guessed btw
    >>
    >> David

    > I suspected you were KDE. I'm Gnome by default because it seems more
    > minimal than KDE. Tried Xubuntu, but it was a bit too simple. KDE loads
    > K-everything, and it seems a bit heavy on eye candy, though I've found
    > some of it necessary such as the k3b burner.
    >
    > I loved Agent newsreader,and Gimp isn't Photoshop. But had to ditch them
    > when I made the decision to shun Vista, The cost for upgrading all the
    > software from XP to Vista more than equaled a new system!
    >
    > I pretty much got pushed into Linux about a year or so ago with the A+,
    > Network+ and Linux+ coursework. I tried the top dozen distributions on
    > distrowatch and settled on Ubuntu--so Gnome.
    >
    > I've been aching to try the new KDE 4, and just torrented down the DVD. I
    > use Google/ig to package everything up sort of like you use Kontact, but
    > it's good to know about Kontact as a container for all that.
    >
    > Cheers

    Have you checked out WINE for running your Win32 programs yet? It has
    been getting better at running some of the mainstream programs.
    You can check out the program's status at http://appdb.winehq.org

    Also, KDE 4 wasn't quite ready the last time I saw it (It was on the
    Kubuntu_8.04_KDE4-remix CD). It will be a very cool DE when it matures
    though.

    ~Jon

  16. Re: Swapping hard drives

    On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 08:51:46 -0700, Lee A. Wentzel
    wrote:

    > Sort of a strange question. I have two laptops. My older laptop has a
    > much larger hard drive then my newer one. I would like to put my bigger
    > hard drive in the faster newer laptop. (Replacing it's drive
    > completely.) I have Ubuntu 8.04 installed on the drive. Both computers
    > are very different. The old one is a Compaq Prosignia, my newer one is a
    > Dell. So with all that being said...
    >
    > Can I just swap them out. Will Linux be smart enough to know there is
    > different hardware, recognize it, save the changes and move on... or will
    > it choke like it would with Windows? (Not bashing Windows, just know
    > that the registry has everything set, and would likely not even boot up.)
    >
    > Or is the best bet, doing a complete reload after installing the larger
    > drive in the faster system? Thanks for your help with this matter.
    >
    > Lee

    It should work. I was able to install 8.04 through a Via Pico-ITX
    motherboard and transfer it over to an IBM X20 series laptop with only
    having to reconfigure xserver's driver (sudo dpkg-reconfigure
    xserver-xorg) and install the laptop packages. 7.10 is much more
    forgiving for swappage such as this though.

    As long as they are both SATA or the old PATA (IDE) style, it should work.

    If worse comes to worse, just put it back in the original laptop.

  17. Re: Swapping hard drives

    On 2008-06-02, Lee A. Wentzel wrote:
    > Sort of a strange question. I have two laptops. My older laptop has a
    > much larger hard drive then my newer one. I would like to put my bigger
    > hard drive in the faster newer laptop. (Replacing it's drive
    > completely.) I have Ubuntu 8.04 installed on the drive. Both computers
    > are very different. The old one is a Compaq Prosignia, my newer one is a
    > Dell. So with all that being said...
    >
    > Can I just swap them out. Will Linux be smart enough to know there is
    > different hardware, recognize it, save the changes and move on... or will
    > it choke like it would with Windows? (Not bashing Windows, just know
    > that the registry has everything set, and would likely not even boot up.)
    >
    > Or is the best bet, doing a complete reload after installing the larger
    > drive in the faster system? Thanks for your help with this matter.

    I've done this on desktop machines with success before. Amazing.

    --
    -Toby