Odd Keyboard Character Problem - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Odd Keyboard Character Problem - Ubuntu ; Here's an odd problem I haven't seen before--different problem than Daniel on 23 Apr. When I type a single quote ' or a hat ^ character, the character does not appear until I type the next character/spacebar--then both characters appear. ...

  1. Odd Keyboard Character Problem

    Here's an odd problem I haven't seen before--different problem than
    Daniel on 23 Apr.

    When I type a single quote ' or a hat ^ character, the character does not
    appear until I type the next character/spacebar--then both characters
    appear. I would expect them to appear as they are typed.

    This is evident in all typing apps--Pan, Open Office, Gedit.

    Both ' and ^ require me to use the alt key to get them to appear in the
    gnome-terminal.wrapper [applications | accessories | terminal]. In
    terminal, there is a different single quote character for alt' than plain
    '. Such as apostrophe vs single quote.

    Additionally, hereś how an apostrophe s appears: ś

    I am using the Generic 105 Int´l setting with default options [system |
    preferences | keyboard].

    Evidently, I have inadvertently changed a setting on this recent Hardy
    8.04 install.

    Any ideas on how to get my keyboard back to US standard without having to

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Odd Keyboard Character Problem

    Coffeeman wrote:

    > When I type a single quote ' or a hat ^ character, the character does
    > not appear until I type the next character/spacebar--then both
    > characters appear.

    There is a discussion^1 in the wikipedia about what is called (there)
    US-International (for typing accents efficiently) -- which is what you are
    describing.

    ^1 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboar...-International Keyboard
    layout - 3.1.16 US-International - Using the same layout as the US
    keyboard, accented characters can be typed by pressing the appropriate
    accent key, then the letter on the keyboard in its unaccented form.

    > I am using the Generic 105 Int´l setting with default options [system |
    > preferences | keyboard].

    I'm looking at my ub804/System/Preferences/Keyboard/ Layouts tab - which
    calls my Keyboard model 'Generic 105-key (Intl) PC' and the USA part is in
    the selected layouts section.

    > Any ideas on how to get my keyboard back to US standard without having
    > to go back to a complete reinstall?

    I would think you could do it at the place above, but I don't know exactly
    what you call the normal one, since the wikipedia is calling the 'crazy'
    one US International and my Ub is calling my normal one USA and generic
    105-key Intl

    In the graphic tool there is Add buttons and Layout Options. Someone here
    probably knows a command.

    --
    Mike Easter

  3. Re: Odd Keyboard Character Problem

    On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 08:45:48 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:

    > Coffeeman wrote:
    >
    >> When I type a single quote ' or a hat ^ character, the character does
    >> not appear until I type the next character/spacebar--then both
    >> characters appear.

    > There is a discussion^1 in the wikipedia about what is called (there)
    > US-International (for typing accents efficiently) -- which is what you
    > are describing.
    >
    > ^1 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboar...-International
    > Keyboard layout - 3.1.16 US-International - Using the same layout as the
    > US keyboard, accented characters can be typed by pressing the
    > appropriate accent key, then the letter on the keyboard in its
    > unaccented form.
    >
    >> I am using the Generic 105 Int´l setting with default options [system
    >> | preferences | keyboard].

    > I'm looking at my ub804/System/Preferences/Keyboard/ Layouts tab - which
    > calls my Keyboard model 'Generic 105-key (Intl) PC' and the USA part is
    > in the selected layouts section.
    >
    >> Any ideas on how to get my keyboard back to US standard without having
    >> to go back to a complete reinstall?

    > I would think you could do it at the place above, but I don't know
    > exactly what you call the normal one, since the wikipedia is calling the
    > 'crazy' one US International and my Ub is calling my normal one USA and
    > generic 105-key Intl
    >
    > In the graphic tool there is Add buttons and Layout Options. Someone
    > here probably knows a command.

    Right! Thank you for that Wikipedia reference! You certainly helped me
    solve that problem!

    I'm using UB804 as well. I needed the layout the wikipedia is calling US
    vs. US intl.

    In keyboard prefs, my Ubuntu default keyboard model= Generic 105-key
    (intl) PC. System default layout = US intl (with dead keys).

    To solve the problem, I tried adding USA and setting it as default layout
    during this discussion--worked as you recommended.

    You're right that somewhere in system setup I had made the wikipedia
    version of US International as my default--I remember doing that. Odd.
    Haven't run into this on any other system I installed.

    I am using an old Gateway Anykey programmable keyboard w/o windows keys
    on this system. wonder if that's how Ubuntu detected it?

    Thanks very much! It's guys like you who make this group such a valuable
    resource. I appreciate your help.

    Cheers

  4. Re: Odd Keyboard Character Problem

    Coffeeman wrote:
    >Mike Easter wrote:

    >> In the graphic tool there is Add buttons and Layout Options. Someone
    >> here probably knows a command.

    > Thanks very much!

    YW.

    I would also like for one of the commandline mavens who is around here to
    illustrate that it would also be easy to do that command way as an
    alternative to the graphics tool. Usually/Sometimes there are actually
    less 'clicks' with the command.

    It seems like it would be in xorg.conf XkbLayout

    --
    Mike Easter

  5. Re: Odd Keyboard Character Problem

    On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 12:12:23 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:

    > Coffeeman wrote:
    >>Mike Easter wrote:

    >>> In the graphic tool there is Add buttons and Layout Options. Someone
    >>> here probably knows a command.

    >> Thanks very much!

    > YW.
    >
    > I would also like for one of the commandline mavens who is around here
    > to illustrate that it would also be easy to do that command way as an
    > alternative to the graphics tool. Usually/Sometimes there are actually
    > less 'clicks' with the command.
    >
    > It seems like it would be in xorg.conf XkbLayout

    Here's what I thought I had done. There are actually seven available
    terminal emulators in Linux according to this author who shows how to
    switch between emulators. I wrongly believed I had remapped my keyboard
    to match one of the emulators.

    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/ubunt...inal-emulator-
    on-ubuntu-linux/

    Here's where I was heading--setting the individual keystrokes--before we
    chatted earlier.
    http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO...HOWTO.html#s14

    Cheers. I also want to hear from the masters and mavens as well.

    Cheers

+ Reply to Thread