Cudo's for graphical frontend for ndiswrapper - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Cudo's for graphical frontend for ndiswrapper - Ubuntu ; Finally got around to trying to get my Dlink DWA-142 wireless working with Ubuntu v8.04...and was dreading slogging through the ndiswrapper docs etc. Remembered some previous comments here about an installation frontend and found the following via Synaptic: ndisgtk: graphical ...

  1. Cudo's for graphical frontend for ndiswrapper

    Finally got around to trying to get my Dlink DWA-142 wireless working
    with Ubuntu v8.04...and was dreading slogging through the ndiswrapper
    docs etc.

    Remembered some previous comments here about an installation frontend and
    found the following via Synaptic:

    ndisgtk:

    graphical frontend for ndiswrapper (installation of Windows WiFi drivers)
    ndisgtk is a GTK+ based frontend for ndiswrapper, allowing an easy way to
    install Windows wireless drivers.

    Copied the drivers and inf files from my Dlink install CD to one of my
    home directories and then pointed ndisgtk to the location of the inf file.

    I was *blown* away.....the process was so quick and transparent that at
    first I thought nothing had happened but upon plugging in the DWA-142 to
    one of my USB ports it immediately started working!

    FWIW....I'd tried using this particular wireless while running the Live
    CD versions of Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Linux Mint....none of them recognized
    the unit.

    Definitely my hat's off and hearty thanks to the developers of
    ndiswrapper and ndisgtk!

  2. Re: Cudo's for graphical frontend for ndiswrapper

    On 2008-06-02, propman User wrote:

    > Finally got around to trying to get my Dlink DWA-142 wireless working
    > with Ubuntu v8.04...and was dreading slogging through the ndiswrapper
    > docs etc.
    >
    > Remembered some previous comments here about an installation frontend and
    > found the following via Synaptic:
    >
    > ndisgtk:
    >
    > graphical frontend for ndiswrapper (installation of Windows WiFi drivers)
    > ndisgtk is a GTK+ based frontend for ndiswrapper, allowing an easy way to
    > install Windows wireless drivers.
    >
    > Copied the drivers and inf files from my Dlink install CD to one of my
    > home directories and then pointed ndisgtk to the location of the inf file.
    >
    > I was *blown* away.....the process was so quick and transparent that at
    > first I thought nothing had happened but upon plugging in the DWA-142 to
    > one of my USB ports it immediately started working!
    >
    > FWIW....I'd tried using this particular wireless while running the Live
    > CD versions of Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Linux Mint....none of them recognized
    > the unit.
    >
    > Definitely my hat's off and hearty thanks to the developers of
    > ndiswrapper and ndisgtk!

    I've been blessed enough to have the type of system where all of my hardware
    is recognized by Ubuntu with the exception of my fingerprint scanner. I had
    it working under Feisty, but I rarely used it. Hmmm. That'll be my excuse
    for giving the ndisgtk thingy a try. (smile) Anyway, thanks for the tip.
    Take care.

    --
    __________
    Just Me, D

  3. Re: Cudo's for graphical frontend for ndiswrapper

    Doug Jamal wrote:

    > I've been blessed enough to have the type of system where all of my hardware
    > is recognized by Ubuntu with the exception of my fingerprint scanner. I had
    > it working under Feisty, but I rarely used it. Hmmm. That'll be my excuse
    > for giving the ndisgtk thingy a try. (smile) Anyway, thanks for the tip.
    > Take care.

    What does NDIS have to do with a fingerprint scanner?

  4. Re: Cudo's for graphical frontend for ndiswrapper

    On 2008-06-03, Cork Soaker wrote:
    > Doug Jamal wrote:
    >
    >> I've been blessed enough to have the type of system where all of my hardware
    >> is recognized by Ubuntu with the exception of my fingerprint scanner. I had
    >> it working under Feisty, but I rarely used it. Hmmm. That'll be my excuse
    >> for giving the ndisgtk thingy a try. (smile) Anyway, thanks for the tip.
    >> Take care.
    >>

    > What does NDIS have to do with a fingerprint scanner?

    Nothing at all. Dang...don't I feel like the village idiot. (laughing)
    --
    __________
    Just Me, D

  5. Re: Cudo's for graphical frontend for ndiswrapper

    On 2008-06-03, Trevor Best wrote:
    > On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 07:11:43 +0100, Cork Soaker wrote:
    >
    >> Doug Jamal wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've been blessed enough to have the type of system where all of my
    >>> hardware is recognized by Ubuntu with the exception of my fingerprint
    >>> scanner. I had it working under Feisty, but I rarely used it. Hmmm.
    >>> That'll be my excuse for giving the ndisgtk thingy a try. (smile)
    >>> Anyway, thanks for the tip. Take care.
    >>>

    >> What does NDIS have to do with a fingerprint scanner?

    > Doug's point ->o
    >

    > Cork's POV ->[ ]
    >

    > Total miss.
    > ;-)