Lotus Notes 8.5 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Lotus Notes 8.5 - Ubuntu ; Has anyone had success in installing the Linux version of Lotus Notes 8.5 on Ubuntu Hardy Heron? I've installed it and set it up to receive my GMAIL via IMAP. I am successful in receiving my email as well as ...

  1. Lotus Notes 8.5

    Has anyone had success in installing the Linux version of Lotus Notes 8.5 on
    Ubuntu Hardy Heron? I've installed it and set it up to receive my GMAIL via
    IMAP. I am successful in receiving my email as well as all of the GMAIL
    IMAP folders, however, I am not able to send. My outgoing mail settings are
    definitely correct. The error message I am receiving is as follows: File
    '/tmp/notes192447/WCT8525745B000F9C70.gif' does not exist. The options are
    as follows: Search IBM Technotes or select OK. I've done both to no avail.
    Bear in mind that my rationale for installing Lotus Notes was for
    curiosity's sake. I have no plans to keep it installed, unless it turns out
    to be a very good program. In the meantime, I plan on tinkering with it
    until I get it to work.

    --
    __________
    Just Me, D

  2. Re: Lotus Notes 8.5

    Doug Jamal wrote in

    > Has anyone had success in installing the Linux version of Lotus Notes
    > 8.5 on Ubuntu Hardy Heron? I've installed it and set it up to receive
    > my GMAIL via IMAP. I am successful in receiving my email as well as
    > all of the GMAIL IMAP folders, however, I am not able to send. My
    > outgoing mail settings are definitely correct. The error message I am
    > receiving is as follows: File
    > '/tmp/notes192447/WCT8525745B000F9C70.gif' does not exist. The
    > options are as follows: Search IBM Technotes or select OK. I've done
    > both to no avail. Bear in mind that my rationale for installing Lotus
    > Notes was for curiosity's sake. I have no plans to keep it installed,
    > unless it turns out to be a very good program. In the meantime, I
    > plan on tinkering with it until I get it to work.

    Not sure if this means anything but

    http://computerworld.com/action/article.do?
    command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=hardware&articleId=9058900
    &taxonomyId=12&intsrc=kc_top

    I read the headline as

    Lotus Notes 8.5 to (not) fully support Ubuntu Linux 7.10 (until) mid-
    2008

    So I'd wait until at least a couple more months after that just to make
    sure.

    --
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary
    and those who don't.

  3. Re: Lotus Notes 8.5

    On 01 Jun 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.ubuntu, in article
    <48430819$0$4100$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>, Doug Jamal wrote:

    >Has anyone had success in installing the Linux version of Lotus Notes 8.5

    Good Mother of GHOD!!! Why?

    >I am successful in receiving my email as well as all of the GMAIL IMAP
    >folders, however, I am not able to send. My outgoing mail settings are
    >definitely correct. The error message I am receiving is as follows:
    >File '/tmp/notes192447/WCT8525745B000F9C70.gif' does not exist.

    Well, let's start with the obvious. Does the directory '/tmp/notes192447'
    exist? What is the ownership and permissions? Does the file
    '/tmp/notes192447/WCT8525745B000F9C70.gif' exist? What is the ownership
    and permissions? Find a terminal, and use the command 'ls -l' to look
    at them.

    A frequent problem with mail systems is permissions and ownerships of the
    binaries and files. Often, the mail system is run as user 'mail' or
    even user 'sendmail' while the group might be something similar. Mail is
    normally private, and the messages are usually owned by the user, but
    the group may be one associated with the mail process. For example

    [compton ~]$ ls -ld /var/spool/mail
    drwxrwxr-x 2 root mail 1024 May 31 13:52 /var/spool/mail
    [compton ~]$ ls -l /var/spool/mail/ibuprofin
    -rw------- 1 ibuprofi mail 0 May 29 19:07 /var/spool/mail/ibuprofin
    [compton ~]$

    >Bear in mind that my rationale for installing Lotus Notes was for
    >curiosity's sake. I have no plans to keep it installed, unless it turns
    >out to be a very good program.

    Mail administrators usually call it "Blotus Goats" for some humorous
    reason. It really does have some advantages over some alternatives,
    and some disadvantages compared to others.

    >In the meantime, I plan on tinkering with it until I get it to work.

    That is a good idea.

    Old guy

  4. Re: Lotus Notes 8.5

    On 2008-06-03, Moe Trin wrote:
    > On 01 Jun 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.ubuntu, in article
    ><48430819$0$4100$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>, Doug Jamal wrote:
    >
    >>Has anyone had success in installing the Linux version of Lotus Notes 8.5

    > Good Mother of GHOD!!! Why?
    >
    >>I am successful in receiving my email as well as all of the GMAIL IMAP
    >>folders, however, I am not able to send. My outgoing mail settings are
    >>definitely correct. The error message I am receiving is as follows:
    >>File '/tmp/notes192447/WCT8525745B000F9C70.gif' does not exist.

    > Well, let's start with the obvious. Does the directory '/tmp/notes192447'
    > exist? What is the ownership and permissions? Does the file
    > '/tmp/notes192447/WCT8525745B000F9C70.gif' exist? What is the ownership
    > and permissions? Find a terminal, and use the command 'ls -l' to look
    > at them.
    >
    > A frequent problem with mail systems is permissions and ownerships of the
    > binaries and files. Often, the mail system is run as user 'mail' or
    > even user 'sendmail' while the group might be something similar. Mail is
    > normally private, and the messages are usually owned by the user, but
    > the group may be one associated with the mail process. For example
    >
    > [compton ~]$ ls -ld /var/spool/mail
    > drwxrwxr-x 2 root mail 1024 May 31 13:52 /var/spool/mail
    > [compton ~]$ ls -l /var/spool/mail/ibuprofin
    > -rw------- 1 ibuprofi mail 0 May 29 19:07 /var/spool/mail/ibuprofin
    > [compton ~]$
    >
    >>Bear in mind that my rationale for installing Lotus Notes was for
    >>curiosity's sake. I have no plans to keep it installed, unless it turns
    >>out to be a very good program.

    > Mail administrators usually call it "Blotus Goats" for some humorous
    > reason. It really does have some advantages over some alternatives,
    > and some disadvantages compared to others.
    >
    >>In the meantime, I plan on tinkering with it until I get it to work.

    > That is a good idea.
    >
    > Old guy

    Thanks Moe Trin for your reply and advice. I'm always grateful to those who
    help. Anyway, I have Lotus Notes 7 installed on my work laptop and I'm
    really not a fan of it although I'm familiar with it...to a point. I guess
    I was hoping that the Linux version would be...well...better and easier to
    manipulate. Like I said, I'm a tinkerer and I was just curious. As for the
    issue I was having, you were right. The .gif did not exist. Oh well. I gave
    it some thought and concluded that it was not worth my time at this time so
    I uninstalled it, however, I kept the tar archive that I downloaded from the
    Lotus website on my backup partition for a rainy day (smile). Anyway,
    thanks again for your reply. Take care.
    --
    Just Me, D

+ Reply to Thread