update manager not working - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on update manager not working - Ubuntu ; All of a sudden update manager just hangs without bringing up enter password dialog box. Any ideas would be graciously appreciated and accepted. Even Add/Remove Programs is not working (version 8.04) Fred...

  1. update manager not working

    All of a sudden update manager just hangs without bringing up enter
    password dialog box. Any ideas would be graciously appreciated and
    accepted. Even Add/Remove Programs is not working (version 8.04)

    Fred

  2. Re: update manager not working

    FM - No static at all wrote:
    > All of a sudden update manager just hangs without bringing up enter
    > password dialog box. Any ideas would be graciously appreciated and
    > accepted. Even Add/Remove Programs is not working (version 8.04)
    >
    > Fred

    I have the same problem in Gutsy 7.10. Synaptic does work, however. Also
    "edit menus" doesn't work anymore. "Alacarte" in the terminal returns this:

    /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/apt/progress.py: inconsistent use of
    tabs and spaces in indentation
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/bin/alacarte", line 22, in
    from Alacarte.MainWindow import MainWindow
    File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Alacarte/MainWindow.py", line
    19, in
    import gtk, gtk.glade, gmenu, gobject, gnomevfs, gnome.ui
    File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py",
    line 60, in
    from gtk.deprecation import _Deprecated, _DeprecatedConstant
    ImportError: No module named deprecation

    looks like I've been really deprecated

  3. Re: update manager not working

    User wrote:
    > FM - No static at all wrote:
    >> All of a sudden update manager just hangs without bringing up enter
    >> password dialog box. Any ideas would be graciously appreciated and
    >> accepted. Even Add/Remove Programs is not working (version 8.04)
    >>
    >> Fred

    > I have the same problem in Gutsy 7.10. Synaptic does work, however. Also
    > "edit menus" doesn't work anymore. "Alacarte" in the terminal returns this:
    >
    > /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/apt/progress.py: inconsistent use of
    > tabs and spaces in indentation
    > Traceback (most recent call last):
    > File "/usr/bin/alacarte", line 22, in
    > from Alacarte.MainWindow import MainWindow
    > File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Alacarte/MainWindow.py", line
    > 19, in
    > import gtk, gtk.glade, gmenu, gobject, gnomevfs, gnome.ui
    > File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py", line
    > 60, in
    > from gtk.deprecation import _Deprecated, _DeprecatedConstant
    > ImportError: No module named deprecation
    >
    > looks like I've been really deprecated

    I cannot even get Synaptic to work. I see the Satrting Administrative
    Application but it never asks for the password...just disappears.
    Checking with htop or System monitor shows several instances of
    /usr/bin/sudo -H -S -p GNOME SUO PASS -u root -- /usr/bin/synaptic
    There are two instances with different pids.

    Fred

  4. Re: update manager not working

    FM - No static at all illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > I cannot even get Synaptic to work. I see the Satrting Administrative
    > Application but it never asks for the password...just disappears.
    > Checking with htop or System monitor shows several instances of
    > /usr/bin/sudo -H -S -p GNOME SUO PASS -u root -- /usr/bin/synaptic
    > There are two instances with different pids.
    >
    > Fred

    Fred, open a terminal
    Applications -> Accesories -> Terminal

    Type
    $ sudo synaptic

    Post any error messages you get as a follow up to this message.

    Cheers

    --
    Moog

    "The G is for the gnarled face of someone who's on ninety thousand
    pounds a week who reckoned he should have had a throw in"

  5. Re: update manager not working

    Moog wrote:
    > FM - No static at all illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >

    >> I cannot even get Synaptic to work. I see the Satrting Administrative
    >> Application but it never asks for the password...just disappears.
    >> Checking with htop or System monitor shows several instances of
    >> /usr/bin/sudo -H -S -p GNOME SUO PASS -u root -- /usr/bin/synaptic
    >> There are two instances with different pids.
    >>
    >> Fred

    > Fred, open a terminal
    > Applications -> Accesories -> Terminal
    >
    > Type
    > $ sudo synaptic
    >
    > Post any error messages you get as a follow up to this message.
    >
    > Cheers

    Here is what I got on the terminal display:
    fred@fred-desktop:~$ sudo synaptic
    sudo: unable to resolve host fred-desktop
    [sudo] password for fred:

    (synaptic:8023): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_view_unref_tree_helper:
    assertion `node != NULL' failed

    (synaptic:8023): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_view_unref_tree_helper:
    assertion `node != NULL' failed

    (synaptic:8023): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_view_unref_tree_helper:
    assertion `node != NULL' failed

    (synaptic:8023): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_view_unref_tree_helper:
    assertion `node != NULL' failed

    (synaptic:8023): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_view_unref_tree_helper:
    assertion `node != NULL' failed

    (synaptic:8023): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_view_unref_tree_helper:
    assertion `node != NULL' failed

    (synaptic:8023): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_view_unref_tree_helper:
    assertion `node != NULL' failed

    (synaptic:8023): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_view_unref_tree_helper:
    assertion `node != NULL' failed
    fred@fred-desktop:~$

    Good new is that it ran and I was able to perform the updates. Thank you
    kindly!

    Fred

  6. Re: update manager not working

    Moog wrote:

    > Fred, open a terminal
    > Applications -> Accesories -> Terminal
    >
    > Type
    > $ sudo synaptic
    >
    > Post any error messages you get as a follow up to this message.
    >
    > Cheers

    Error messages as follows:
    (synaptic:8023): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_view_unref_tree_helper:
    assertion `node != NULL' failed

    (synaptic:8023): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_view_unref_tree_helper:
    assertion `node != NULL' failed

    (synaptic:8023): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_view_unref_tree_helper:
    assertion `node != NULL' failed

    (synaptic:8023): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_view_unref_tree_helper:
    assertion `node != NULL' failed

    (synaptic:8023): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_view_unref_tree_helper:
    assertion `node != NULL' failed

    (synaptic:8023): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_view_unref_tree_helper:
    assertion `node != NULL' failed

    (synaptic:8023): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_view_unref_tree_helper:
    assertion `node != NULL' failed

    (synaptic:8023): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_view_unref_tree_helper:
    assertion `node != NULL' failed

    Thanks again,
    Fred

  7. Re: update manager not working

    FM - No static at all illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > Moog wrote:
    >> FM - No static at all illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>

    >>> I cannot even get Synaptic to work. I see the Satrting Administrative
    >>> Application but it never asks for the password...just disappears.
    >>> Checking with htop or System monitor shows several instances of
    >>> /usr/bin/sudo -H -S -p GNOME SUO PASS -u root -- /usr/bin/synaptic
    >>> There are two instances with different pids.
    >>>
    >>> Fred

    >> Fred, open a terminal
    >> Applications -> Accesories -> Terminal
    >>
    >> Type
    >> $ sudo synaptic
    >>
    >> Post any error messages you get as a follow up to this message.
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>

    > Here is what I got on the terminal display:
    > fred@fred-desktop:~$ sudo synaptic
    > sudo: unable to resolve host fred-desktop
    > [sudo] password for fred:

    Got it.

    Right. You have a hostanme setting that sudo doesnt like and therefore
    doesn't work correctly

    You need to open a terminal and type

    $ gksudo gedit /etc/hosts

    In the first two lines, you'll see something like

    127.0.0.1 localhost
    192.168.1.15 hardy hardy.mooggravy

    Do you see "Hardy"?
    That's my machine name
    Do you see "Hardy.mooggravy"
    That's my Machine name and Domain.

    You'll need to have something similar in yours. Obviously they're
    different in *every* machine. Also the "192.168.1.15" is likely to be
    different too.

    Edit it with your own settings, save. Log out of X (ctrl-alt-bkspc)
    and log back in again and you should be able to graphical sudo as
    you'd expect.

    HTH.

    --
    Moog

    "The G is for the gnarled face of someone who's on ninety thousand
    pounds a week who reckoned he should have had a throw in"

+ Reply to Thread