Using Evolution in Debian/Ubuntu Linux - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Using Evolution in Debian/Ubuntu Linux - Ubuntu ; Hi Gang I tried Evolution as an Email Client and was not able to send mail at all. It was correctly configured with the POP settings etc. Does any of you Ubuntu usaers manage to recieve and send Email with ...

  1. Using Evolution in Debian/Ubuntu Linux

    Hi Gang

    I tried Evolution as an Email Client and was not able to send mail at
    all. It was correctly configured with the POP settings etc.

    Does any of you Ubuntu usaers manage to recieve and send Email with
    Evolution? If so what are you doing that I might not be doing?

    Again your assistance is gratefully received.

    Kindest Regards

    Derryl Killan

    Calgary

  2. Re: Using Evolution in Debian/Ubuntu Linux

    Derryl Killan illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Hi Gang
    >
    > I tried Evolution as an Email Client and was not able to send mail at
    > all. It was correctly configured with the POP settings etc.
    >
    > Does any of you Ubuntu usaers manage to recieve and send Email with
    > Evolution? If so what are you doing that I might not be doing?
    >
    > Again your assistance is gratefully received.
    >
    > Kindest Regards
    >
    > Derryl Killan
    >
    > Calgary

    Had your ISP changed their authentication recently?

    It sounds like they well have done.

    You need to set Evolution to

    Edit -> Preferences

    Select the Account involved in "mail accounts"

    Then click the "edit" button.

    Select the "Sending E-Mail" tab and make sure the "server requires
    authentication" box is ticked.

    Ensure the settings are what your ISP require.

    HTH.

    --
    Moog

    "The G is for the gnarled face of someone who's on ninety thousand
    pounds a week who reckoned he should have had a throw in"

  3. Re: Using Evolution in Debian/Ubuntu Linux

    On Fri, 30 May 2008 22:16:24 GMT
    Derryl Killan wrote:

    > Hi Gang
    >
    > I tried Evolution as an Email Client and was not able to send mail at
    > all. It was correctly configured with the POP settings etc.
    >
    > Does any of you Ubuntu usaers manage to recieve and send Email with
    > Evolution? If so what are you doing that I might not be doing?
    >
    > Again your assistance is gratefully received.
    >
    > Kindest Regards
    >
    > Derryl Killan
    >
    > Calgary

    Incoming and outgoing servers should read: shawmail.cg.shawcable.net
    User name: derrylkillan (anything to the left of the at symbol in your Shaw email address)
    Password: whatever it is.
    SMTP: port 25
    POP: port 110

    Send a test email from a given address to the same address.

  4. Re: Using Evolution in Debian/Ubuntu Linux

    On 2008-05-30, Derryl Killan wrote:
    > Hi Gang
    >
    > I tried Evolution as an Email Client and was not able to send mail at
    > all. It was correctly configured with the POP settings etc.
    >
    > Does any of you Ubuntu usaers manage to recieve and send Email with
    > Evolution? If so what are you doing that I might not be doing?
    >
    > Again your assistance is gratefully received.
    >
    > Kindest Regards
    >
    > Derryl Killan
    >
    > Calgary

    Yes, I am currently using Evolution to access my Gmail (IMAP) until I decide
    to return to using MUTT and it is working flawlessly. Did you check with
    your ISP for changes on their end? Recheck your settings in Evolution's
    preference section.
    --
    __________
    Just Me, D

  5. Re: Using Evolution in Debian/Ubuntu Linux

    On Fri, 30 May 2008 22:16:24 +0000, Derryl Killan wrote:

    > Hi Gang
    >
    > I tried Evolution as an Email Client and was not able to send mail at
    > all. It was correctly configured with the POP settings etc.
    >
    > Does any of you Ubuntu usaers manage to recieve and send Email with
    > Evolution? If so what are you doing that I might not be doing?
    >
    > Again your assistance is gratefully received.
    >
    > Kindest Regards
    >
    > Derryl Killan
    >
    > Calgary

    Not an expert, but had a similar problem.
    As a fumbling newbie, tried different set-up options.
    Finally found my answer; my SMPT server DID NOT require authentication.

    Solution:
    Email/"deselect the radio button "Server requires authentication"

    May be worth a try
    However may not be your solution ;-)
    Good luck!

    Regards, Jon

  6. Re: Using Evolution in Debian/Ubuntu Linux

    Doug Jamal wrote:
    > On 2008-05-30, Derryl Killan wrote:
    >> Hi Gang
    >>
    >> I tried Evolution as an Email Client and was not able to send mail at
    >> all. It was correctly configured with the POP settings etc.
    >>
    >> Does any of you Ubuntu usaers manage to recieve and send Email with
    >> Evolution? If so what are you doing that I might not be doing?
    >>
    >> Again your assistance is gratefully received.
    >>
    >> Kindest Regards
    >>
    >> Derryl Killan
    >>
    >> Calgary

    > Yes, I am currently using Evolution to access my Gmail (IMAP) until I decide
    > to return to using MUTT and it is working flawlessly. Did you check with
    > your ISP for changes on their end? Recheck your settings in Evolution's
    > preference section.

    Hi

    Yeah I worked with Shaw Cable and nothing has changed. The server is
    POP and the rest is shawmail.cg.shawcable.net. The User Name is
    derrylkillan.

  7. Re: Using Evolution in Debian/Ubuntu Linux

    jon wrote:
    > On Fri, 30 May 2008 22:16:24 +0000, Derryl Killan wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Gang
    >>
    >> I tried Evolution as an Email Client and was not able to send mail at
    >> all. It was correctly configured with the POP settings etc.
    >>
    >> Does any of you Ubuntu usaers manage to recieve and send Email with
    >> Evolution? If so what are you doing that I might not be doing?
    >>
    >> Again your assistance is gratefully received.
    >>
    >> Kindest Regards
    >>
    >> Derryl Killan
    >>
    >> Calgary

    > Not an expert, but had a similar problem.
    > As a fumbling newbie, tried different set-up options.
    > Finally found my answer; my SMPT server DID NOT require authentication.
    >
    > Solution:
    > > Email/"deselect the radio button "Server requires authentication"
    >
    > May be worth a try
    > However may not be your solution ;-)
    > Good luck!
    >
    > Regards, Jon

    Hi Jon Thanks for the tip I will try that

    Derryl

  8. Re: Using Evolution in Debian/Ubuntu Linux

    On Fri, 30 May 2008 22:16:24 +0000, Derryl Killan wrote:

    > Hi Gang
    >
    > I tried Evolution as an Email Client and was not able to send mail at
    > all. It was correctly configured with the POP settings etc.
    >
    > Does any of you Ubuntu usaers manage to recieve and send Email with
    > Evolution? If so what are you doing that I might not be doing?

    My wife and I use it. You might have to specify username@domain.site
    rather than just username.

    --
    // This is my opinion.

  9. Re: Using Evolution in Debian/Ubuntu Linux

    In article , Derryl Killan wrote:
    >Hi Gang
    >
    >I tried Evolution as an Email Client and was not able to send mail at
    >all. It was correctly configured with the POP settings etc.
    >
    >Does any of you Ubuntu usaers manage to recieve and send Email with
    >Evolution? If so what are you doing that I might not be doing?
    >
    >Again your assistance is gratefully received.

    Interesting. I prefer kmail ... but after struggling with it for a week or
    so last year after installing kubuntu 7.10, I tried evolution. It just
    worked (as they say) so I've stuck with it since (though I miss the file
    size filter from kmail).
    What does it do for you ?

+ Reply to Thread