Program R - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Program R - Ubuntu ; Starting today (May 29th), when I pull up the Terminal screen, I now see the following at the startup of Terminal: The program 'R' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing: sudo apt-get install r-base-core bash: R: ...

  1. Program R

    Starting today (May 29th), when I pull up the Terminal screen, I now see the
    following at the startup of Terminal:

    The program 'R' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
    sudo apt-get install r-base-core
    bash: R: command not found

    What is program R and why is the above information being displayed at the
    startup of Terminal? Any assistance is always appreciated. Thank you.

    --
    __________
    Just Me, D

  2. Re: Program R

    On 2008-05-30, Doug Jamal wrote:
    > Starting today (May 29th), when I pull up the Terminal screen, I now see the
    > following at the startup of Terminal:
    >
    > The program 'R' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
    > sudo apt-get install r-base-core
    > bash: R: command not found
    >
    > What is program R and why is the above information being displayed at the
    > startup of Terminal? Any assistance is always appreciated. Thank you.

    Your terminal starts a shell, which on startup executes an
    initialization script, most likely .bashrc. Somewhere in there you
    refer to R as a program for any reason.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  3. Re: Program R

    Am Fri, 30 May 2008 05:05:46 +0000 schrieb Moog:
    >> Starting today (May 29th), when I pull up the Terminal screen,
    >> I now see the following at the startup of Terminal:
    >>
    >> The program 'R' is currently not installed. You can install
    >> it by typing: sudo apt-get install r-base-core
    >> bash: R: command not found
    >>
    >> What is program R [...]

    apt-cache show r-base-core
    will tell you that.

    >> [...] and why is the above information being displayed
    >> at the startup of Terminal?

    A lonely R has been inserted somewhere into a script.
    As the command R is not found, your installation tries to
    find it in the installation packages and offers it for
    installation.

    > What is it?
    > http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/r-base-core
    >
    > What to do?
    > $ sudo apt-get install r-base-core
    >
    > Why?
    > Well. It would stop the error message generated when
    > you start up your terminal.

    But then the statistics program R will be started, which is
    probably not what the OP wants.

    HTH
    Martin

  4. Re: Program R

    mblume illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >> Why?
    >> Well. It would stop the error message generated when
    >> you start up your terminal.

    > But then the statistics program R will be started, which is
    > probably not what the OP wants.

    How do you know?

    Isn't for the original poster to state that?
    Obviously, at some point in time, he or a package he has installed has
    looked to install R.

    You think he "probably" doesn't want to do that. Tell me. How the hell
    did you come to that conclusion?

    --
    Moog

    "The G is for the gnarled face of someone who's on ninety thousand
    pounds a week who reckoned he should have had a throw in"

  5. Re: Program R

    On 2008-05-30, Moog wrote:
    > Doug Jamal illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Starting today (May 29th), when I pull up the Terminal screen, I now see the
    >> following at the startup of Terminal:
    >>
    >> The program 'R' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
    >> sudo apt-get install r-base-core
    >> bash: R: command not found
    >>
    >> What is program R and why is the above information being displayed at the
    >> startup of Terminal? Any assistance is always appreciated. Thank you.

    > What is it?
    > http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/r-base-core
    >
    > What to do?
    > $ sudo apt-get install r-base-core
    >
    > Why?
    > Well. It would stop the error message generated when you start up your
    > terminal. It is possibly being called by some script (the bashrc file
    > is likely - as pointed out by someone else)

    Thanks Moog, however, I didn't have to install r-base-core. Ignoramus was
    correct in his assessment, as are you. I looked at the .bashrc file and
    found my mistake. All is well again. Thanks again for your response and
    take care.
    --
    __________
    Just Me, D

  6. Re: Program R

    On 2008-05-30, mblume wrote:
    > Am Fri, 30 May 2008 05:05:46 +0000 schrieb Moog:
    >>> Starting today (May 29th), when I pull up the Terminal screen,
    >>> I now see the following at the startup of Terminal:
    >>>
    >>> The program 'R' is currently not installed. You can install
    >>> it by typing: sudo apt-get install r-base-core
    >>> bash: R: command not found
    >>>
    >>> What is program R [...]

    > apt-cache show r-base-core
    > will tell you that.
    >
    >>> [...] and why is the above information being displayed
    >>> at the startup of Terminal?

    > A lonely R has been inserted somewhere into a script.
    > As the command R is not found, your installation tries to
    > find it in the installation packages and offers it for
    > installation.
    >

    >> What is it?
    >> http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/r-base-core
    >>
    >> What to do?
    >> $ sudo apt-get install r-base-core
    >>
    >> Why?
    >> Well. It would stop the error message generated when
    >> you start up your terminal.

    > But then the statistics program R will be started, which is
    > probably not what the OP wants.
    >

    > HTH
    > Martin

    You are correct Martin. I did located the errant R in the .bashrc file and
    removed it. All is now well. Thanks for your reply and take care.
    --
    __________
    Just Me, D

  7. Re: Program R

    Doug Jamal wrote:

    .... snip ...

    > Thanks Moog, however, I didn't have to install r-base-core.
    > Ignoramus was correct in his assessment, as are you. I looked at
    > the .bashrc file and found my mistake. All is well again. Thanks
    > again for your response and take care.

    For future reference, you don't need all those 'thankyou'
    messages. Just write one, mention the names to be thanked, and be
    done. Much less clutter.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  8. Re: Program R

    Doug Jamal illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 2008-05-30, Moog wrote:
    >> Doug Jamal illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> Starting today (May 29th), when I pull up the Terminal screen, I now see the
    >>> following at the startup of Terminal:
    >>>
    >>> The program 'R' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
    >>> sudo apt-get install r-base-core
    >>> bash: R: command not found
    >>>
    >>> What is program R and why is the above information being displayed at the
    >>> startup of Terminal? Any assistance is always appreciated. Thank you.

    >> What is it?
    >> http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/r-base-core
    >>
    >> What to do?
    >> $ sudo apt-get install r-base-core
    >>
    >> Why?
    >> Well. It would stop the error message generated when you start up your
    >> terminal. It is possibly being called by some script (the bashrc file
    >> is likely - as pointed out by someone else)
    >>

    > Thanks Moog, however, I didn't have to install r-base-core. Ignoramus was
    > correct in his assessment, as are you. I looked at the .bashrc file and
    > found my mistake. All is well again. Thanks again for your response and
    > take care.

    No problem Doug. I've read your explanation of the error. It is very
    easy to make these mistakes, isn't it?

    --
    Moog

    "The G is for the gnarled face of someone who's on ninety thousand
    pounds a week who reckoned he should have had a throw in"

  9. Re: Program R

    On 2008-05-31, CBFalconer wrote:
    > Doug Jamal wrote:
    >>

    > ... snip ...
    >>
    >> Thanks Moog, however, I didn't have to install r-base-core.
    >> Ignoramus was correct in his assessment, as are you. I looked at
    >> the .bashrc file and found my mistake. All is well again. Thanks
    >> again for your response and take care.

    > For future reference, you don't need all those 'thankyou'
    > messages. Just write one, mention the names to be thanked, and be
    > done. Much less clutter.

    Yeah, I know. I was just in the mood to thank everyone for their
    assistance. I am grateful to them. Take care.
    --
    __________
    Just Me, D

  10. Re: Program R

    On 2008-05-31, Moog wrote:
    > Doug Jamal illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> On 2008-05-30, Moog wrote:
    >>> Doug Jamal illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> What is it?
    >>> http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/r-base-core
    >>>
    >>> What to do?
    >>> $ sudo apt-get install r-base-core
    >>>
    >>> Why?
    >>> Well. It would stop the error message generated when you start up your
    >>> terminal. It is possibly being called by some script (the bashrc file
    >>> is likely - as pointed out by someone else)
    >>>

    >> Thanks Moog, however, I didn't have to install r-base-core. Ignoramus was
    >> correct in his assessment, as are you. I looked at the .bashrc file and
    >> found my mistake. All is well again. Thanks again for your response and
    >> take care.

    > No problem Doug. I've read your explanation of the error. It is very
    > easy to make these mistakes, isn't it?

    It sure is, Moog, but hey, we learn from our mistakes and pass that
    knowledge along to others. Take care, Moog and stay safe.

    --
    __________
    Just Me, D

  11. Re: Program R

    Doug Jamal illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >> No problem Doug. I've read your explanation of the error. It is very
    >> easy to make these mistakes, isn't it?
    >>

    > It sure is, Moog, but hey, we learn from our mistakes and pass that
    > knowledge along to others. Take care, Moog and stay safe.

    Cheers Doug.

    In fact, making mistakes and rectifying them *is* undoubtedly the
    best way to learn.

    --
    Moog

    "The G is for the gnarled face of someone who's on ninety thousand
    pounds a week who reckoned he should have had a throw in"

  12. Re: Program R

    "Moog" wrote in message

    > In fact, making mistakes and rectifying them *is* undoubtedly the
    > best way to learn.

    That make me the fastest learner on the planet. 8-)

  13. Re: Program R

    dennis@home illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > "Moog" wrote in message
    >

    >> In fact, making mistakes and rectifying them *is* undoubtedly the
    >> best way to learn.

    > That make me the fastest learner on the planet. 8-)

    Heh. You're not alone in that Dennis.

    --
    Moog

    "The G is for the gnarled face of someone who's on ninety thousand
    pounds a week who reckoned he should have had a throw in"

  14. Re: Program R

    On 2008-06-01, Moog wrote:
    > Doug Jamal illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >

    >>> No problem Doug. I've read your explanation of the error. It is very
    >>> easy to make these mistakes, isn't it?
    >>>

    >> It sure is, Moog, but hey, we learn from our mistakes and pass that
    >> knowledge along to others. Take care, Moog and stay safe.

    > Cheers Doug.
    >
    > In fact, making mistakes and rectifying them *is* undoubtedly the
    > best way to learn.

    No arguments here, brotha. (laughing) Over the years, I've destroyed more
    motherboards, crashed more OSes, programs and apps that I care to recall.
    But with each failure or mishap, knowledge was gained and that is what it's
    all about. Take care and happy computing.
    --
    __________
    Just Me, D

  15. Re: Program R

    Doug Jamal illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 2008-06-01, Moog wrote:
    >> Doug Jamal illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> It sure is, Moog, but hey, we learn from our mistakes and pass that
    >>> knowledge along to others. Take care, Moog and stay safe.

    >> Cheers Doug.
    >>
    >> In fact, making mistakes and rectifying them *is* undoubtedly the
    >> best way to learn.
    >>

    > No arguments here, brotha. (laughing) Over the years, I've destroyed more
    > motherboards, crashed more OSes, programs and apps that I care to recall.
    > But with each failure or mishap, knowledge was gained and that is what it's
    > all about. Take care and happy computing.

    For me, it's the lost date due to the tinkering that made me learn
    "quicker". It's like an Atom Bomb placed up the anus. ;-)

    --
    Moog

    "The G is for the gnarled face of someone who's on ninety thousand
    pounds a week who reckoned he should have had a throw in"

+ Reply to Thread