Stop Tor from loading on boot - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Stop Tor from loading on boot - Ubuntu ; This might seem like a silly question, but then I am a n00b, and I can't find a useful article via Google, nor can I think what to search for. I have Tor installed on a Hardy Server machine. I ...

  1. Stop Tor from loading on boot

    This might seem like a silly question, but then I am a n00b, and I can't
    find a useful article via Google, nor can I think what to search for.

    I have Tor installed on a Hardy Server machine. I don't want to
    uninstall it, I just don't want it loading during boot, but want to keep
    the ability to start it when needed (currently via /etc/init.d/tor start)

    How do I do this? I have no idea how to prevent daemons from loading
    during boot. I have no idea where to look. Maybe, I have no idea.

    TIA

  2. Re: Stop Tor from loading on boot

    Le Wed, 28 May 2008 16:31:57 +0100, Cork Soaker a √©crit¬*:

    > This might seem like a silly question, but then I am a n00b, and I can't
    > find a useful article via Google, nor can I think what to search for.
    >
    > I have Tor installed on a Hardy Server machine. I don't want to
    > uninstall it, I just don't want it loading during boot, but want to keep
    > the ability to start it when needed (currently via /etc/init.d/tor start)
    >
    > How do I do this? I have no idea how to prevent daemons from loading
    > during boot. I have no idea where to look. Maybe, I have no idea.
    >
    > TIA

    Try to edit /etc/default/tor
    where you can change

    RUN_DAEMON="yes"