Question about application servers - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Question about application servers - Ubuntu ; Just out of curiousity, does anyone here run an application server under Ubuntu? If so, what do you run? I have installed Tomcat Sun Glassfish JBoss and would like to have Oracle as well. Websphere isn't available outside of a ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Question about application servers

  1. Question about application servers


    Just out of curiousity, does anyone here run an application server under
    Ubuntu? If so, what do you run?

    I have installed
    Tomcat
    Sun Glassfish
    JBoss

    and would like to have Oracle as well. Websphere isn't available outside
    of a demo so I can't try it. I was looking here:
    http://www.theserverside.com/tt/arti...l=ServerMatrix

    and was thinking about trying ObjectWeb from JOnAS.

    --
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary
    and those who don't.



  2. Re: Question about application servers

    On 2008-05-28, I_Am_The_Walrus wrote:
    >
    > Just out of curiousity, does anyone here run an application server under
    > Ubuntu? If so, what do you run?
    >
    > I have installed
    > Tomcat
    > Sun Glassfish
    > JBoss
    >
    > and would like to have Oracle as well. Websphere isn't available outside
    > of a demo so I can't try it. I was looking here:
    > http://www.theserverside.com/tt/arti...l=ServerMatrix
    >
    > and was thinking about trying ObjectWeb from JOnAS.


    When I finish getting it set up - soon -, my goal is to have kubuntu
    8.04 running Ruby/Rails and MySQL and/or Postgres; might run Tomcat,
    too.


    --


  3. Re: Question about application servers

    On Wed, 28 May 2008 00:51:23 +0000, I_Am_The_Walrus wrote:

    > Just out of curiousity, does anyone here run an application server under
    > Ubuntu? If so, what do you run?
    >
    > I have installed
    > Tomcat
    > Sun Glassfish
    > JBoss
    >
    > and would like to have Oracle as well. Websphere isn't available
    > outside of a demo so I can't try it. I was looking here:
    > http://www.theserverside.com/tt/arti...l=ServerMatrix
    >
    > and was thinking about trying ObjectWeb from JOnAS.


    not under Linux but my jobs is as a WebSphere consultant(AIX and Windows)
    for a blue chip bank in the UK. I've been using WAS since V3.5. You could
    have a look at the community version. Its free to use even in enterprise
    scenarios.

    http://www-306.ibm.com/software/info...?tab=landings/
    was-ce

    Its normally a red hat or suse package so you might have to hack a bit




  4. Re: Question about application servers

    On 2008-05-29, entwisi wrote:
    > On Wed, 28 May 2008 00:51:23 +0000, I_Am_The_Walrus wrote:
    >
    >> Just out of curiousity, does anyone here run an application server under
    >> Ubuntu? If so, what do you run?
    >>
    >> I have installed
    >> Tomcat
    >> Sun Glassfish
    >> JBoss
    >>
    >> and would like to have Oracle as well. Websphere isn't available
    >> outside of a demo so I can't try it. I was looking here:
    >> http://www.theserverside.com/tt/arti...l=ServerMatrix
    >>
    >> and was thinking about trying ObjectWeb from JOnAS.

    >
    > not under Linux but my jobs is as a WebSphere consultant(AIX and Windows)
    > for a blue chip bank in the UK. I've been using WAS since V3.5. You could
    > have a look at the community version. Its free to use even in enterprise
    > scenarios.
    >
    > http://www-306.ibm.com/software/info...?tab=landings/
    > was-ce
    >
    > Its normally a red hat or suse package so you might have to hack a bit
    >
    >
    >


    I have just recently started to work with a team that supports WAS 6.0
    and 4.0 so if I can get some experience with it at home, it will
    benefit me.

    Thanks

    --
    * I am the walrus. *
    * RLU 451587 *
    * Running Vista Ultimate SP1 and Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon *
    * Sea creatures unite and take back usenet http://improve-usenet.org/ *

  5. Re: Question about application servers

    On Fri, 30 May 2008 01:27:01 +0000, I_Am_The_Walrus wrote:

    >>

    > I have just recently started to work with a team that supports WAS 6.0
    > and 4.0 so if I can get some experience with it at home, it will benefit
    > me.
    >
    > Thanks


    Feel free to ask me over email etc if you want. I'm pretty much as geeky
    as it comes with WAS having gone through so many different applications
    from design/build/support.


  6. Re: Question about application servers

    entwisi wrote in
    news:6a8kt1F36itl5U2@mid.individual.net:

    > On Wed, 28 May 2008 00:51:23 +0000, I_Am_The_Walrus wrote:
    >
    >> Just out of curiousity, does anyone here run an application server
    >> under Ubuntu? If so, what do you run?
    >>
    >> I have installed
    >> Tomcat
    >> Sun Glassfish
    >> JBoss
    >>
    >> and would like to have Oracle as well. Websphere isn't available
    >> outside of a demo so I can't try it. I was looking here:
    >> http://www.theserverside.com/tt/arti...l=ServerMatrix
    >>
    >> and was thinking about trying ObjectWeb from JOnAS.

    >
    > not under Linux but my jobs is as a WebSphere consultant(AIX and
    > Windows) for a blue chip bank in the UK. I've been using WAS since
    > V3.5. You could have a look at the community version. Its free to use
    > even in enterprise scenarios.
    >
    > http://www-306.ibm.com/software/info...ere/index.jsp?

    tab=landings/
    > was-ce
    >
    > Its normally a red hat or suse package so you might have to hack a bit
    >
    >
    >
    >


    Finally got WAS6 CE to work under Gutsy Gibbon. Took some doing.
    Now I just need to settle on one. I'm actually leaning towards
    Sun Glassfish, but JBoss and WAS are looking good as well.


    --
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary
    and those who don't.



  7. Re: Question about application servers

    On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 01:18:33 +0000, I_Am_The_Walrus wrote:

    > entwisi wrote in
    > news:6a8kt1F36itl5U2@mid.individual.net:
    >
    >> On Wed, 28 May 2008 00:51:23 +0000, I_Am_The_Walrus wrote:
    >>
    >>> Just out of curiousity, does anyone here run an application server
    >>> under Ubuntu? If so, what do you run?
    >>>
    >>> I have installed
    >>> Tomcat
    >>> Sun Glassfish
    >>> JBoss
    >>>
    >>> and would like to have Oracle as well. Websphere isn't available
    >>> outside of a demo so I can't try it. I was looking here:
    >>> http://www.theserverside.com/tt/arti...l=ServerMatrix
    >>>
    >>> and was thinking about trying ObjectWeb from JOnAS.

    >>
    >> not under Linux but my jobs is as a WebSphere consultant(AIX and
    >> Windows) for a blue chip bank in the UK. I've been using WAS since
    >> V3.5. You could have a look at the community version. Its free to use
    >> even in enterprise scenarios.
    >>
    >> http://www-306.ibm.com/software/info...ere/index.jsp?

    > tab=landings/
    >> was-ce
    >>
    >> Its normally a red hat or suse package so you might have to hack a bit
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>

    > Finally got WAS6 CE to work under Gutsy Gibbon. Took some doing. Now I
    > just need to settle on one. I'm actually leaning towards Sun Glassfish,
    > but JBoss and WAS are looking good as well.


    WAS is the industry leader by a country mile. If you are looking for
    something on your CV then WebSphere is the way to go.


+ Reply to Thread