Wireless Problems - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Wireless Problems - Ubuntu ; Ive installed 7.10 on two laptops with both wireless and wired connections. I did all of the configuration identically on both. But they do not work the same. Laptop 1: a) can browse on wireless and wired b) can do ...

  1. Wireless Problems

    Ive installed 7.10 on two laptops with both wireless and wired
    connections. I did all of the configuration identically on both. But they
    do not work the same.

    Laptop 1:

    a) can browse on wireless and wired
    b) can do email, send and receive wireless and wired
    c) can print on ethernet enabled printer wireless and wired

    Laptop 2:

    a) can browse on wireless and wired
    b) can do some email, can send and receive wired, can only receive
    wireless, can't send wireless
    c) can print on ethernet enabled printer wired, can't print wireless

    On Laptop 2 I've tried 8.04 with the same results.
    On laptop 2 I've tried using WICD with both 7.10 and 8.04 with same bad
    result.

    I've browsed various Ubuntu forums and haven't found a solution yet.
    Others who have had similar problems have found solutions, but they seem
    to be specific only to the wireless card they have.

    So what do I have? On laptop 1, it is built in.
    On Laptop 2, I use a Lucent WaveLan plugin. It's circa 1999. Is it too
    old?

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks in advance,
    Al

  2. Re: Wireless Problems

    Al wrote:
    > Ive installed 7.10 on two laptops with both wireless and wired
    > connections. I did all of the configuration identically on both. But they
    > do not work the same.
    >> So what do I have? On laptop 1, it is built in.

    > On Laptop 2, I use a Lucent WaveLan plugin. It's circa 1999. Is it too
    > old?
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...CardsSupported

    You may have to install ndiswrapper; here's their website:

    http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/joomla/

    PS ndiswrapper comes with Ubuntu.

+ Reply to Thread