Replacing a network card - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Replacing a network card - Ubuntu ; I want to replace a 10M NIC in the Xubuntu server with a 100M one. What is the proper procedure to do it? I meant do I need to use a command to unplug the old one before shutting down ...

  1. Replacing a network card

    I want to replace a 10M NIC in the Xubuntu server with a 100M one.

    What is the proper procedure to do it? I meant do I need to
    use a command to unplug the old one before shutting down the
    server.

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.24-16-generic

  2. Re: Replacing a network card

    Dragomir Kollaric wrote:

    > On 2008-05-27, Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >>
    >> I want to replace a 10M NIC in the Xubuntu server with a 100M one.
    >>
    >> What is the proper procedure to do it? I meant do I need to
    >> use a command to unplug the old one before shutting down the
    >> server.

    > ???????
    >
    > When you shut down the server, it will unload all modules
    > and when you power of the PC and unplug the power-cord, you
    > may safely remove the NIC and replace it. I'd make sure
    > first that the replacement NIC is supported by GNU/Linux,
    > and maybe if this server is connected directly to the net
    > you need to tell the ISP the MAC addressee of the new NIC. I
    > had to do this every time I changed a NIC. Maybe in your
    > case this is not needed YMMV :-)

    The OP may notice the other netcard getting a device id of eth1 because
    udev/persistent network rules memorizes the old card together with the MAC
    address somewhere buried under /etc/.udev/rules or so.

    Linux 2.6.24. [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

  3. Re: Replacing a network card

    > The OP may notice the other netcard getting a device id of eth1 because
    > udev/persistent network rules memorizes the old card together with the MAC
    > address somewhere buried under /etc/.udev/rules or so.

    Could I manually remove that entry first, before plugging in
    my new card?

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.24-16-generic
    ^ ^ 10:31:01 up 22:35 3 users load average: 1.09 1.12 1.14
    (CSSA):

  4. Re: Replacing a network card

    Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote:
    >> The OP may notice the other netcard getting a device id of eth1 because
    >> udev/persistent network rules memorizes the old card together with the MAC
    >> address somewhere buried under /etc/.udev/rules or so.

    > Could I manually remove that entry first, before plugging in
    > my new card?

    Just swap the bloody cards!

+ Reply to Thread