Not booting anymore after Ubuntu update today - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Not booting anymore after Ubuntu update today - Ubuntu ; I just installed the new updates and now I get an error, something like "the number of cylinders is higher then supported by the bios" In the boot menu I find from top Ubuntu something 17 Ubuntu something 17 recovery ...

  1. Not booting anymore after Ubuntu update today

    I just installed the new updates and now I get an
    error, something like
    "the number of cylinders is
    higher then supported by the bios"

    In the boot menu I find from top
    Ubuntu something 17
    Ubuntu something 17 recovery mode
    Ubuntu something 14
    Windows XP ( sorry )

    I tried to boot from the top down and I got the same
    error until the " Ubuntu 14 " which booted fine and
    that is what I use at this very moment.
    Since I never had anything like this I don't know what
    I should do now.
    Uninstall one of these updates, if so which one and how?
    How do I make a bug repport and where do I send it?
    Anyone else with this problem?

    Suggestions are appreciated

    Edmund

  2. Re: Not booting anymore after Ubuntu update today

    Edmund wrote:
    > I just installed the new updates and now I get an
    > error, something like
    > "the number of cylinders is
    > higher then supported by the bios"
    >
    > In the boot menu I find from top
    > Ubuntu something 17
    > Ubuntu something 17 recovery mode
    > Ubuntu something 14
    > Windows XP ( sorry )
    >

    > I tried to boot from the top down and I got the same
    > error until the " Ubuntu 14 " which booted fine and
    > that is what I use at this very moment.
    > Since I never had anything like this I don't know what
    > I should do now.
    > Uninstall one of these updates, if so which one and how?
    > How do I make a bug repport and where do I send it?
    > Anyone else with this problem?
    >
    > Suggestions are appreciated
    >
    > Edmund

    Just use the older kernel like you are right now. You don't know what
    the numbers mean so I can't imagine you need to use the newer kernel.

  3. Re: Not booting anymore after Ubuntu update today

    On Tue, 27 May 2008 11:11:36 +0100, Cork Soaker wrote:

    > Edmund wrote:
    >> I just installed the new updates and now I get an error, something like
    >> "the number of cylinders is
    >> higher then supported by the bios"
    >>
    >> In the boot menu I find from top
    >> Ubuntu something 17
    >> Ubuntu something 17 recovery mode
    >> Ubuntu something 14
    >> Windows XP ( sorry )
    >>

    >> I tried to boot from the top down and I got the same error until the "
    >> Ubuntu 14 " which booted fine and that is what I use at this very
    >> moment. Since I never had anything like this I don't know what I should
    >> do now.
    >> Uninstall one of these updates, if so which one and how? How do I make
    >> a bug repport and where do I send it? Anyone else with this problem?
    >>
    >> Suggestions are appreciated
    >>
    >> Edmund
    >>

    > Just use the older kernel like you are right now. You don't know what
    > the numbers mean so I can't imagine you need to use the newer kernel.

    Do you like to explain a bit?
    My guess was the message was about the Hard Disk and
    I have a hard time believing it changed because of
    some software update.

    Edmund

  4. Re: Not booting anymore after Ubuntu update today

    Edmund wrote:
    > I just installed the new updates and now I get an
    > error, something like
    > "the number of cylinders is
    > higher then supported by the bios"

    something like?

    > In the boot menu I find from top
    > Ubuntu something 17
    > Ubuntu something 17 recovery mode
    > Ubuntu something 14
    > Windows XP ( sorry )
    >

    > I tried to boot from the top down and I got the same
    > error until the " Ubuntu 14 " which booted fine and
    > that is what I use at this very moment.
    > Since I never had anything like this I don't know what
    > I should do now.
    > Uninstall one of these updates, if so which one and how?
    > How do I make a bug repport and where do I send it?
    > Anyone else with this problem?
    >
    > Suggestions are appreciated
    >
    > Edmund

    Try a google search on the EXACT error message, or post the EXACT error
    messages here.
    This might help you:

  5. Re: Not booting anymore after Ubuntu update today

    Edmund wrote:
    > On Tue, 27 May 2008 11:11:36 +0100, Cork Soaker wrote:
    >
    >> Edmund wrote:
    >>> I just installed the new updates and now I get an error, something like
    >>> "the number of cylinders is
    >>> higher then supported by the bios"
    >>>
    >>> In the boot menu I find from top
    >>> Ubuntu something 17
    >>> Ubuntu something 17 recovery mode
    >>> Ubuntu something 14
    >>> Windows XP ( sorry )
    >>>

    >>> I tried to boot from the top down and I got the same error until the "
    >>> Ubuntu 14 " which booted fine and that is what I use at this very
    >>> moment. Since I never had anything like this I don't know what I should
    >>> do now.
    >>> Uninstall one of these updates, if so which one and how? How do I make
    >>> a bug repport and where do I send it? Anyone else with this problem?
    >>>
    >>> Suggestions are appreciated
    >>>
    >>> Edmund
    >>>

    >> Just use the older kernel like you are right now. You don't know what
    >> the numbers mean so I can't imagine you need to use the newer kernel.

    > Do you like to explain a bit?
    > My guess was the message was about the Hard Disk and
    > I have a hard time believing it changed because of
    > some software update.

    Nothing to do with the hard drive. Run .14, problem solved.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_kernel

  6. Re: Not booting anymore after Ubuntu update today

    On 2008-05-27, Edmund hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > On Tue, 27 May 2008 11:11:36 +0100, Cork Soaker wrote:
    >

    >> Just use the older kernel like you are right now. You don't know what
    >> the numbers mean so I can't imagine you need to use the newer kernel.

    > Do you like to explain a bit?
    > My guess was the message was about the Hard Disk and
    > I have a hard time believing it changed because of
    > some software update.

    Well I did a update and the new /boot/grub/menu.lst has
    entries pointing to (hd4,0) even though the install of 64bit
    Ubuntu Studio is on (hd0,0). The other funny thing I noticed
    is, some install will see the two first drives as /dev/sdaX
    (used to be SCSI-drives) while another /dev/hdaX the normal
    IDE-drives.

    OK I looked up /boot/device.map
    The first is the 64-bit Ubuntu:

    (hd0) /dev/hde
    (hd1) /dev/hdf
    (hd2) /dev/hdg
    (hd3) /dev/hdh

    these drives are hooked up on a raid-controller card, but
    not used as raid.

    Now those next two drives are connected to a nominal
    ide-controller on the motherboard...

    (hd4) /dev/sda
    (hd5) /dev/sdb

    And here is the list for the 32-bit Ubuntu (both versions are Hardy
    Heron,) just to be clear.

    (hd0) /dev/hda
    (hd1) /dev/hdb
    (hd2) /dev/hde
    (hd3) /dev/hdf
    (hd4) /dev/hdg
    (hd5) /dev/hdh

    Now for a experienced Gnu/Linux user like myself this
    doesn't pose a big problem, but how many others have
    raid-controller card SATA and the like, and as soon
    something changes the user can't boot his/her PC. So those
    of you who have a simple one HDD set-up should not be too
    quick to dismiss such problems encountered by inexperienced
    users.

    > Edmund

    Dragomir Kollaric

  7. Re: Not booting anymore after Ubuntu update today

    On Tue, 27 May 2008 11:28:43 -0500, User wrote:

    > Try a google search on the EXACT error message, or post the EXACT error
    > messages here.
    > This might help you:

    OK thank you

    Edmund