Sound stopped working under Hardy - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Sound stopped working under Hardy - Ubuntu ; I have Ubuntu Hardy 64 bit version. Suddenly sound stopped working. To be more exact, sound is extremely quiet. As in, if I turn up my stereo (which is used as a speaker) all the way up, I can barely ...

  1. Sound stopped working under Hardy

    I have Ubuntu Hardy 64 bit version.

    Suddenly sound stopped working. To be more exact, sound is extremely
    quiet. As in, if I turn up my stereo (which is used as a speaker) all
    the way up, I can barely hear the music along with a lot of noise. It
    is as if the sound level was turned down by 40 decibel or some such.

    I verified this condition by using headphones.

    Since I have two sound outputs, the build in sound on the Dell mobo,
    and an old Creative Labs card, I also tried outputs of both cards.

    I am fairly sure that I have sound device connected to the active
    card (mobo built in).

    I then ran pulse audio volume control. The volume is set to 100%. If I
    mute, the sound mutes. If I un-mute, the sound resumes but it is the
    same old super quiet sound that is no good.

    The sound level applet on the gnome-panel is set to 100% also.

    I rebooted and it did not help.

    The most annoying aspect of all this is that everything was working
    great.

    Somewhere in the guts of the most advanced sound architecture in the
    world something is not working, and I have no idea why.
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  2. Re: Sound stopped working under Hardy

    Another discovery. If I switch to OSS in System/Preferences/Sound, and
    run mplayer with "-ao oss" option, the sound works normally.

    I would be cool with this, if only I could know how to swotch the
    Flash player to OSS in Firefox.

  3. Re: Sound stopped working under Hardy

    Ignoramus7406 wrote:
    > I have Ubuntu Hardy 64 bit version.
    >
    > Suddenly sound stopped working. To be more exact, sound is extremely
    > quiet. As in, if I turn up my stereo (which is used as a speaker) all
    > the way up, I can barely hear the music along with a lot of noise. It
    > is as if the sound level was turned down by 40 decibel or some such.
    >
    > I verified this condition by using headphones.
    >
    > Since I have two sound outputs, the build in sound on the Dell mobo,
    > and an old Creative Labs card, I also tried outputs of both cards.
    >
    > I am fairly sure that I have sound device connected to the active
    > card (mobo built in).
    >
    > I then ran pulse audio volume control. The volume is set to 100%. If I
    > mute, the sound mutes. If I un-mute, the sound resumes but it is the
    > same old super quiet sound that is no good.
    >
    > The sound level applet on the gnome-panel is set to 100% also.
    >
    > I rebooted and it did not help.
    >
    > The most annoying aspect of all this is that everything was working
    > great.
    >
    > Somewhere in the guts of the most advanced sound architecture in the
    > world something is not working, and I have no idea why.

    The only notes I have pertaining to sound, which might help, at least to
    eliminate rebooting:

    Start xmms player: xmms -q

    Restart sound: sudo /etc/init.d/alsautils restart

    If sound fails to restart, first kill any hanging PIDs. Find the PIDs
    here: lsof | grep pcm

    Then again try: sudo /etc/init.d/alsautils restart

    HTH.

    --
    John

  4. Re: Sound stopped working under Hardy

    Ignoramus7406 wrote:
    > Another discovery. If I switch to OSS in System/Preferences/Sound, and
    > run mplayer with "-ao oss" option, the sound works normally.
    >
    > I would be cool with this, if only I could know how to swotch the
    > Flash player to OSS in Firefox.

    I have the same on my old laptop, but setting the default outputs to OSS
    via the Gnome app resolves the problem (Flash included).

    Probably not much help, but that's what I did.

  5. Re: Sound stopped working under Hardy

    Ignoramus7406 wrote:
    > Another discovery. If I switch to OSS in System/Preferences/Sound, and
    > run mplayer with "-ao oss" option, the sound works normally.
    >
    > I would be cool with this, if only I could know how to swotch the
    > Flash player to OSS in Firefox.

    In volume control under the switches tab do you have the Audigy
    Analog/Digital Output Jack unchecked? That's if you have an Audigy sound
    card. As I had that problem with no sound but a lot of noise until I
    found that.
    caver1

  6. Re: Sound stopped working under Hardy

    On 2008-05-27, caver1 wrote:
    > Ignoramus7406 wrote:
    >> Another discovery. If I switch to OSS in System/Preferences/Sound, and
    >> run mplayer with "-ao oss" option, the sound works normally.
    >>
    >> I would be cool with this, if only I could know how to swotch the
    >> Flash player to OSS in Firefox.

    > In volume control under the switches tab do you have the Audigy
    > Analog/Digital Output Jack unchecked? That's if you have an Audigy sound
    > card. As I had that problem with no sound but a lot of noise until I
    > found that.
    > caver1

    You see, my output is plugged into the motherboard's sound card, not
    into Creative Labs.

    Maybe I will remove the Creative sound card, as it should not be
    needed for what I do.

    Anyway, though I can ssh to home from work, I cannot test sound, so I
    will mess some more tonight.

    The problem with OSS is that the sound device is locked when in use,
    and that is not too good as it gets locked by Firefox and is not
    released.

    I think that I will make a systematic attempt to to move to Pulse
    Audio and to remove the SB sound card that I am not using anyway.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  7. Re: Sound stopped working under Hardy

    Ignoramus8233 wrote:
    > On 2008-05-27, caver1 wrote:
    >> Ignoramus7406 wrote:
    >>> Another discovery. If I switch to OSS in System/Preferences/Sound, and
    >>> run mplayer with "-ao oss" option, the sound works normally.
    >>>
    >>> I would be cool with this, if only I could know how to swotch the
    >>> Flash player to OSS in Firefox.

    >> In volume control under the switches tab do you have the Audigy
    >> Analog/Digital Output Jack unchecked? That's if you have an Audigy sound
    >> card. As I had that problem with no sound but a lot of noise until I
    >> found that.
    >> caver1

    > You see, my output is plugged into the motherboard's sound card, not
    > into Creative Labs.
    >
    > Maybe I will remove the Creative sound card, as it should not be
    > needed for what I do.
    >
    > Anyway, though I can ssh to home from work, I cannot test sound, so I
    > will mess some more tonight.
    >
    > The problem with OSS is that the sound device is locked when in use,
    > and that is not too good as it gets locked by Firefox and is not
    > released.
    >
    > I think that I will make a systematic attempt to to move to Pulse
    > Audio and to remove the SB sound card that I am not using anyway.

    There was another fix posted that worked for some. Load VLC player. For
    some strange reason that got the sound back for some. Don't have to use it.
    caver1

  8. Re: Sound stopped working under Hardy

    On 2008-05-27, caver1 wrote:
    > Ignoramus8233 wrote:

    >>> In volume control under the switches tab do you have the Audigy
    >>> Analog/Digital Output Jack unchecked? That's if you have an Audigy sound
    >>> card. As I had that problem with no sound but a lot of noise until I
    >>> found that.
    >>> caver1

    >> You see, my output is plugged into the motherboard's sound card, not
    >> into Creative Labs.
    >>
    >> Maybe I will remove the Creative sound card, as it should not be
    >> needed for what I do.
    >>
    >> Anyway, though I can ssh to home from work, I cannot test sound, so I
    >> will mess some more tonight.
    >>
    >> The problem with OSS is that the sound device is locked when in use,
    >> and that is not too good as it gets locked by Firefox and is not
    >> released.
    >>
    >> I think that I will make a systematic attempt to to move to Pulse
    >> Audio and to remove the SB sound card that I am not using anyway.
    >>

    > There was another fix posted that worked for some. Load VLC player. For
    > some strange reason that got the sound back for some. Don't have to use it.

    I used to have a command line command called "volume" in
    Fedora. volume 100 would set volume to max. It accessed another layer
    of sound volume and also could set it. Maybe I should look into
    something similar.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

+ Reply to Thread