Whoops, didn't mean to send that... (what do you call...) - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Whoops, didn't mean to send that... (what do you call...) - Ubuntu ; AV3 wrote: > Bill wrote: Stuff snipped. >> I heard about that and that the Mensa battery took all day. I don't >> usually have all day, and if it isn't updated, what good is it? >> > > > ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 46 of 46

Thread: Whoops, didn't mean to send that... (what do you call...)

  1. Re: Whoops, didn't mean to send that... (what do you call...)

    AV3 wrote:
    > Bill wrote:


    Stuff snipped.

    >> I heard about that and that the Mensa battery took all day. I don't
    >> usually have all day, and if it isn't updated, what good is it?
    >>

    >
    >
    > Mine took two or three hours, and I was out in good time for lunch. As
    > to outdated, it is purely a personal judgement that the test they gave
    > me in 2001 seemed little different in character from the previous such
    > test I took in junior high school. I pride myself on a good memory, but
    > I wasn't taking notes for comparison back in the 1950's. YMMD.
    >
    >

    My first test was in second grade and the result was that the school
    wanted me to skip third grade, which my overly protective mother shot
    down, because the big kids would pick on me. I vaguely remember that one
    came out at 128, but that was about 1956, and I didn't really take the
    test seriously. Not skipping backfired because all the kids my age
    picked on me for always being the first to raise my hand, winning all
    the spelling bees, and just plain kids being brats.
    Anyway if the test can be done in 2-3 hours I might do it on a whim.
    Maybe.
    Bill Baka

  2. Re: Whoops, didn't mean to send that... (what do you call...)

    On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 11:03:33 -0700, Bill wrote:

    > My first test was in second grade and the result was that the school
    > wanted me to skip third grade, which my overly protective mother shot
    > down, because the big kids would pick on me. I vaguely remember that one
    > came out at 128, but that was about 1956, and I didn't really take the
    > test seriously. Not skipping backfired because all the kids my age
    > picked on me for always being the first to raise my hand, winning all
    > the spelling bees, and just plain kids being brats.


    Yeah. Ummm, right.

    If you were so smart back then, what caused you to be so clueless by this
    stage of your life?


    --
    "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".
    Now filtering out all posts originating from Google Groups.
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org


  3. Re: Whoops, didn't mean to send that... (what do you call...)

    Bill wrote:
    > AV3 wrote:
    >> Bill wrote:

    >
    > Stuff snipped.
    >

    ....

    >>
    >>

    > My first test was in second grade and the result was that the school
    > wanted me to skip third grade, which my overly protective mother shot
    > down, because the big kids would pick on me. I vaguely remember that one
    > came out at 128, but that was about 1956, and I didn't really take the
    > test seriously. Not skipping backfired because all the kids my age
    > picked on me for always being the first to raise my hand, winning all
    > the spelling bees, and just plain kids being brats.
    > Anyway if the test can be done in 2-3 hours I might do it on a whim.
    > Maybe.
    >



    I, too, am outdated. Checking out my old link to us.mensa.org, I find
    the free sample online test now costs $14US, and you just missed a
    discount period. Different national organizations may still have a free
    sample test, and your local chapter might provide some guidance,
    particularly about test dates. Any further communication on this topic
    probably should pass between our private email addresses. Mine requires
    your being admitted to my mailing list, and I check daily for valid new
    arrivals not yet accepted.


    --
    ++====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====+====+=====+=== ==+=====+=====+====++
    ||Arnold VICTOR, New York City, i. e., ||
    ||Arnoldo VIKTORO, Nov-jorkurbo, t. e., ||
    ||Remove capital letters from e-mail address for correct address/ ||
    || Forigu majusklajn literojn el e-po\uc0\u349 ta adreso por \u285
    usta adreso ||
    ++====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====+====+=====+=== ==+=====+=====+====++
    NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the National Security \
    Agency may have read this email without warning, warrant, or notice. \
    They may do this without any judicial or legislative oversight. You \
    have no recourse or protection.}

  4. Re: Whoops, didn't mean to send that... (what do you call...)

    On 2008-05-31, Bill wrote:

    > Having an IQ over the 132 minimum.
    >
    >> Not at all. Though I'm not a member, I believe I would likely qualify.
    >> The only real requirement is to be in the top 2% of an approved IQ test,
    >> or the top 2% of Mensa's test.

    >
    > I said above it was 132, but that may have evolved downward a bit. It
    > used to be called the upper 1%.


    To my knowledge, it has always been the upper 2%. They don't set a
    numeric limit, as your IQ will "vary" based on which test you take.
    One one test you could be a 130, while on another be 145, and yet have
    the same actual intelligence. Therefore, Mensa looks at the certified
    test taken, and requires the applicant to be in the upper 2% of that
    tests results.

    On one test, my IQ was 136. Another put it at 148. Which one is
    right? Chances are, they are the same.

    > There were people there from some pretty jobs but smart and I just
    > figured that maybe they were smart but not motivated. Since I went in
    > Silicon Valley, almost everyone there was an engineer or technician or
    > something to do with electronics.
    > The only benefit that you get is to pay your annual membership fee and
    > hope to find some people worth getting to know, like CEO's.


    Maybe it is my upbringing, and where I live, but I find things to be
    much more interesting in a local pub. I've met plenty of CEO's out
    drinking... ;-)

    > Other than that, it did seem possible to steer a few people into a
    > conversation on Rocket Science, Nuclear Physics, Astronomy, or whatever
    > I felt like, so the night wasn't a total wash.


    Heh. At a local bar, you can get whatever conversation you want. Of
    course, everyone's drunk, but that just adds to the fun... ;-)

    > I would give credit here, as most Linux users tend to be in the upper 5%
    > anyway, or close. Windows (exclusive) users (office drones) tend to be
    > on the other side of the bell curve.
    >
    > BTW, Whoops seems to be a good name for this thread.


    LOL @ Both... ;-)


    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    "Hate is baggage, life is too short to go around pissed off all the
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  5. Re: Whoops, didn't mean to send that... (what do you call...)

    AV3 wrote:
    > Bill wrote:
    >> AV3 wrote:
    >>> Bill wrote:

    >>
    >> Stuff snipped.
    >>

    > ...
    >
    >>>
    >>>

    >> My first test was in second grade and the result was that the school
    >> wanted me to skip third grade, which my overly protective mother shot
    >> down, because the big kids would pick on me. I vaguely remember that
    >> one came out at 128, but that was about 1956, and I didn't really take
    >> the test seriously. Not skipping backfired because all the kids my age
    >> picked on me for always being the first to raise my hand, winning all
    >> the spelling bees, and just plain kids being brats.
    >> Anyway if the test can be done in 2-3 hours I might do it on a whim.
    >> Maybe.
    >>

    >
    >
    > I, too, am outdated. Checking out my old link to us.mensa.org, I find
    > the free sample online test now costs $14US, and you just missed a
    > discount period. Different national organizations may still have a free
    > sample test, and your local chapter might provide some guidance,
    > particularly about test dates. Any further communication on this topic
    > probably should pass between our private email addresses. Mine requires
    > your being admitted to my mailing list, and I check daily for valid new
    > arrivals not yet accepted.
    >
    >

    Yeah,
    I'm dropping this thread today, so that's it for wasting bandwidth.
    Bill Baka

  6. Re: Whoops, didn't mean to send that... (what do you call...)

    Dan C wrote:
    > On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 11:03:33 -0700, Bill wrote:
    >
    >> My first test was in second grade and the result was that the school
    >> wanted me to skip third grade, which my overly protective mother shot
    >> down, because the big kids would pick on me. I vaguely remember that one
    >> came out at 128, but that was about 1956, and I didn't really take the
    >> test seriously. Not skipping backfired because all the kids my age
    >> picked on me for always being the first to raise my hand, winning all
    >> the spelling bees, and just plain kids being brats.

    >
    > Yeah. Ummm, right.
    >
    > If you were so smart back then, what caused you to be so clueless by this
    > stage of your life?
    >
    >

    Who's clueless? I'm just not as turned on by playing with the computer
    all day, and will be out bicycling in the summer days. Meet people,
    enjoy the outdoors, and get healthy fast. I said I am mostly retired,
    which is why I don't have to do anything I don't want to.
    Try riding 40-100 miles on a bicycle in the mountains and this 60 year
    old will kick any cubicle rat's ass.
    Last post on this thread by me.
    Enjoy.
    Whoops--->killfile.
    Bill Baka

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3