Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 46

  1. Re: Whoops, didn't mean to send that... (what do you call...)

    On 2008-05-29, Bill wrote:
    > I'm overqualified for MENSA.

    What is it that you think is the qualification for MENSA? And how do
    you become "overqualified"?

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  2. Re: Whoops, didn't mean to send that... (what do you call...)

    Joe wrote:
    > On 2008-05-29, Bill wrote:
    >> I'm overqualified for MENSA.

    > What is it that you think is the qualification for MENSA? And how do
    > you become "overqualified"?

    Judging by numerous items I've read, written by Mensans,
    you have to be extremely good at intellectual tasks of
    absolutely no practical value, yet able to make statements
    that most people can recognize as very stupid.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    You're all individuals!
    Yes, we're all individuals!
    You're all different!
    Yes, we are all different!
    I'm not!

    ("Life of Brian")

  3. Re: Whoops, didn't mean to send that... (what do you call...)

    On Fri, 30 May 2008 22:14:09 -0500, Joe wrote:

    >> **** off, Win-droid. Go troll the Windoze groups.

    > **** off, Slack-droid. Go troll the slackware groups.

    Pretty poor imitation. Not the same thing at all.

    Bugger off, n00b.

    Now filtering out all posts originating from Google Groups.

  4. Re: Whoops, didn't mean to send that... (what do you call...)

    On 2008-05-31, Dan C wrote:
    > On Fri, 30 May 2008 22:14:09 -0500, Joe wrote:
    >
    >>> **** off, Win-droid. Go troll the Windoze groups.

    >> **** off, Slack-droid. Go troll the slackware groups.

    > Pretty poor imitation. Not the same thing at all.

    Same thing entirely. You don't use Ubuntu, and don't provide any real
    positive to the newsgroup. You like to belittle people asking for
    help, or anyone that is new to linux in general. You serve no other
    purpose in life...

    > Bugger off, n00b.

    Get a life outside of the PC, sparkie...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  5. Re: Whoops, didn't mean to send that... (what do you call...)

    Joe wrote:

    > Not at all. Though I'm not a member, I believe I would likely qualify.
    > The only real requirement is to be in the top 2% of an approved IQ test,
    > or the top 2% of Mensa's test.
    >
    > I could never really determine any real benefit to joining such a
    > "club". It seems to be mostly a group of folks that like to pat each
    > other on the back. I'd imagine that the bulk of people with IQ's in
    > the top 2% do not join, since it doesn't give any real benefit. But
    > many people in that group do have self-esteem issues (picked on a lot
    > in HS, I'd imagine) that likely make them need to be a member of
    > something...

    When I was at University, it was only the /most/ /stupid/ students that felt
    the need to bolster their egos by joining MENSA. The rest of us used to
    just laugh at them.

    C.

  6. Re: Whoops, didn't mean to send that... (what do you call...)

    Joe wrote:

    > I never met a member that I felt was "stupid".

    I had a MENSA member for a flatmate when I was at University. One evening,
    she came rushing into the living room yelling that "the tap's stuck and the
    water is overflowing!". Rather than explain the cure to the problem, I
    went into the bathroom and removed the sink plug and then freed the tap!

    In my experience, most MENSA members are exceptionally good at IQ tests,
    but /entirely/ /useless/ at "real world" problems!

    > Most that I met were very insecure, though. The antithesis of the
    > normal "jock" or whatever. Seemed that they had spent so much time being
    > picked on for whatever reason that they needed something to make them feel
    > superior.

    For fun, some friends and I took the MENSA tests at Uni - we all passed with
    extremely high marks, mostly higher than the MENSA members. This simply
    added to the insecurity of the MENSA types!

    C.

  7. Re: Whoops, didn't mean to send that... (what do you call...)

    On Sat, 31 May 2008 00:43:34 -0500, Joe wrote:

    >>> **** off, Slack-droid. Go troll the slackware groups.

    >> Pretty poor imitation. Not the same thing at all.

    > Same thing entirely. You don't use Ubuntu, and don't provide any real
    > positive to the newsgroup.

    No, it isn't. I'll try to simplify it so you can understand: First of
    all, I *have* used Ubuntu, and still do occasionally. It's installed on a
    test box here. The "win-droids" that I refer to frequently do *NOT* use
    Linux in any form. Secondly (or is it thirdly?), Slackware is Linux, just
    as Ubuntu is, whereas Windoze is not. Get it?

    > You like to belittle people asking for help, or anyone that is new to
    > linux in general. You serve no other purpose in life...

    Well now, that's a pretty silly statement, isn't it? You have no idea
    what I do with my life. Makes your statements in another thread about
    being Mensa-ish in intelligence look pretty suspect, eh?

    >> Bugger off, n00b.

    > Get a life outside of the PC, sparkie...

    You'd be amazed.... Again, bugger off, n00b.

    Now filtering out all posts originating from Google Groups.

  8. Re: Whoops, didn't mean to send that... (what do you call...)

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Bill wrote:
    >
    >> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >>> So .. that tells me you need Internet Exploder and Outhouse Distress
    >>> to read all the things your sister sends you, eh? Do you really read
    >>> it? When I get crap like that from my 84 year old uncle - who uses
    >>> Incredimail to make things worse - I just hit the Delete key.

    >> Nah, she sends me good stuff, lots of animal pictures and cutesy
    >> things but she keeps sending me those damned 'Blue Mountain' animated
    >> cards.

    > I usually reply to the card senders with "Thanks for the sentiment, but
    > please don't send any more of those."

    I did and she finally stopped.

    >> I disabled Outhouse and only use IE because MickeySoft will
    >> only do updates that way. The bastards make it a PITA to download
    >> updates with FF, Opera, or even Avant.

    > Before I stopped using Windows (Win2K), I got updates just fine without
    > ever using IE. The update manager popped an icon in the Systray and said
    > updates were ready to download. Click it and go.

    That one is called "Automatic Updates" and if you don't have it set to
    preview before it installs stuff....well???

    >> BTW, I said she was my sister, not my aunt, and definitely not stupid.
    >> She and I both are health freaks and workout every day, both physically
    >> and mentally.

    > Right, I said "your sister" but "my uncle." None of us are health nuts.
    > I try to convince my doctor that motorcycle riding is exercise.

    Even semi-serious dirt biking is. My favorite is oval dirt track racing,
    full throttle and sideways.

    >> Heh. I am about to become a great grandfather thanks to my 22 year old
    >> grandson.

    > Aha. My grandbabies are only four years, and eight weeks. I started
    > late.
    >
    >> Now, back to my sci-fi PDF.

    > A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

    Heinlein, 1957, "Citizen of the Galaxy".
    Bill

  9. Re: Whoops, didn't mean to send that... (what do you call...)

    Dan C wrote:
    > On Fri, 30 May 2008 22:14:09 -0500, Joe wrote:
    >
    >>> **** off, Win-droid. Go troll the Windoze groups.

    >> **** off, Slack-droid. Go troll the slackware groups.

    > Pretty poor imitation. Not the same thing at all.
    >
    > Bugger off, n00b.

    Do we need a alt.os.ubuntu.insults group?
    Bill

  10. Re: Whoops, didn't mean to send that... (what do you call...)

    Joe wrote:
    > On 2008-05-31, Wes Groleau wrote:
    >> Joe wrote:
    >>> What is it that you think is the qualification for MENSA? And how do
    >>> you become "overqualified"?

    Having an IQ over the 132 minimum.

    >> Judging by numerous items I've read, written by Mensans,
    >> you have to be extremely good at intellectual tasks of
    >> absolutely no practical value, yet able to make statements
    >> that most people can recognize as very stupid.

    A lot of them do that to each other as the 2 who worked for me took me
    to a meeting once and it was a night of either really bad puns, or
    trying to look smarter than the rest. I went out with them on Wednesdays
    after work for pizza and (too much) beer, and the conversations got way
    out of hand.

    > Not at all. Though I'm not a member, I believe I would likely qualify.
    > The only real requirement is to be in the top 2% of an approved IQ test,
    > or the top 2% of Mensa's test.

    I said above it was 132, but that may have evolved downward a bit. It
    used to be called the upper 1%.

    > I could never really determine any real benefit to joining such a
    > "club". It seems to be mostly a group of folks that like to pat each
    > other on the back. I'd imagine that the bulk of people with IQ's in
    > the top 2% do not join, since it doesn't give any real benefit. But
    > many people in that group do have self-esteem issues (picked on a lot
    > in HS, I'd imagine) that likely make them need to be a member of
    > something...

    There were people there from some pretty jobs but smart and I just
    figured that maybe they were smart but not motivated. Since I went in
    Silicon Valley, almost everyone there was an engineer or technician or
    something to do with electronics.
    The only benefit that you get is to pay your annual membership fee and
    hope to find some people worth getting to know, like CEO's.
    Other than that, it did seem possible to steer a few people into a
    conversation on Rocket Science, Nuclear Physics, Astronomy, or whatever
    I felt like, so the night wasn't a total wash.
    I would give credit here, as most Linux users tend to be in the upper 5%
    anyway, or close. Windows (exclusive) users (office drones) tend to be
    on the other side of the bell curve.

    BTW, Whoops seems to be a good name for this thread.
    Bill Baka

  11. Re: Whoops, didn't mean to send that... (what do you call...)

    Christopher Hunter wrote:
    > Joe wrote:
    >
    >> I never met a member that I felt was "stupid".

    > I had a MENSA member for a flatmate when I was at University. One evening,
    > she came rushing into the living room yelling that "the tap's stuck and the
    > water is overflowing!". Rather than explain the cure to the problem, I
    > went into the bathroom and removed the sink plug and then freed the tap!
    >
    > In my experience, most MENSA members are exceptionally good at IQ tests,
    > but /entirely/ /useless/ at "real world" problems!

    I see some glimmer of truth in that. Me, the non-Mensa guy as the
    engineer in charge, and the 2 Mensa guys who worked for me as
    engineering technicians. They could have been engineers but they always
    seemed to need me to point them in the right direction.

    >> Most that I met were very insecure, though. The antithesis of the
    >> normal "jock" or whatever. Seemed that they had spent so much time being
    >> picked on for whatever reason that they needed something to make them feel
    >> superior.

    Try picked on in 4th to 6th grades, school handle for me was 'The
    brain.', yet I was a soccer and baseball jock (as much as you can be in
    grade school). Life is weird.

    > For fun, some friends and I took the MENSA tests at Uni - we all passed with
    > extremely high marks, mostly higher than the MENSA members. This simply
    > added to the insecurity of the MENSA types!
    >
    > C.

    If I get really bored I might join for my 65th birthday, so I have time
    to think about it.
    Bill (Ehh!) Baka

  12. Re: Whoops, didn't mean to send that... (what do you call...)

    Dan C wrote:

    >>> Pretty poor imitation. Not the same thing at all.

    >> Same thing entirely. You don't use Ubuntu, and don't provide any real
    >> positive to the newsgroup.

    > No, it isn't. I'll try to simplify it so you can understand: First of
    > all, I *have* used Ubuntu, and still do occasionally. It's installed on a
    > test box here. The "win-droids" that I refer to frequently do *NOT* use
    > Linux in any form. Secondly (or is it thirdly?), Slackware is Linux, just
    > as Ubuntu is, whereas Windoze is not. Get it?
    >
    >> You like to belittle people asking for help, or anyone that is new to
    >> linux in general. You serve no other purpose in life...

    > Well now, that's a pretty silly statement, isn't it? You have no idea
    > what I do with my life. Makes your statements in another thread about
    > being Mensa-ish in intelligence look pretty suspect, eh?
    >
    >>> Bugger off, n00b.

    >> Get a life outside of the PC, sparkie...

    > You'd be amazed.... Again, bugger off, n00b.

    What's funny here is that the original thread was 'Whoops' and here we are.
    Bill Baka

  13. Re: Whoops, didn't mean to send that... (what do you call...)

    Bill wrote:
    > Joe wrote:

    > Having an IQ over the 132 minimum.
    >
    >>> Judging by numerous items I've read, written by Mensans,
    >>> you have to be extremely good at intellectual tasks of
    >>> absolutely no practical value, yet able to make statements
    >>> that most people can recognize as very stupid.
    >>>

    > A lot of them do that to each other as the 2 who worked for me took me
    > to a meeting once and it was a night of either really bad puns, or
    > trying to look smarter than the rest. I went out with them on Wednesdays
    > after work for pizza and (too much) beer, and the conversations got way
    > out of hand.
    >>
    >> Not at all. Though I'm not a member, I believe I would likely
    >> qualify. The only real requirement is to be in the top 2% of an
    >> approved IQ test,
    >> or the top 2% of Mensa's test.

    > I said above it was 132, but that may have evolved downward a bit. It
    > used to be called the upper 1%.
    >

    >> I could never really determine any real benefit to joining such a
    >> "club". It seems to be mostly a group of folks that like to pat each
    >> other on the back. I'd imagine that the bulk of people with IQ's in
    >> the top 2% do not join, since it doesn't give any real benefit. But
    >> many people in that group do have self-esteem issues (picked on a lot
    >> in HS, I'd imagine) that likely make them need to be a member of
    >> something...
    >>

    > There were people there from some pretty jobs but smart and I just
    > figured that maybe they were smart but not motivated. Since I went in
    > Silicon Valley, almost everyone there was an engineer or technician or
    > something to do with electronics.
    > The only benefit that you get is to pay your annual membership fee and
    > hope to find some people worth getting to know, like CEO's.
    > Other than that, it did seem possible to steer a few people into a
    > conversation on Rocket Science, Nuclear Physics, Astronomy, or whatever
    > I felt like, so the night wasn't a total wash.
    > I would give credit here, as most Linux users tend to be in the upper 5%
    > anyway, or close. Windows (exclusive) users (office drones) tend to be
    > on the other side of the bell curve.
    >
    > BTW, Whoops seems to be a good name for this thread.

    I don't remember any Mensa groups from my college or graduate school
    days. I think the membership level was always 2% (there are other groups
    with more demanding qualifications), although I didn't join until after
    the death of my partner and I was looking for new activities. I am a
    member of message groups about my hobbies (movies, astronomy--several
    professional astronomers guide the discussion with us amateurs, and
    others from time to time). There are no required meetings. The only
    "meetings" I attend are of a dining group. Conversation is at a more
    intellectual level than other such groups, as is also true for the
    message groups. There is no petty bickering or ad hominem arguments, but
    I mostly deal with mature persons. I wish some knowledgeable persons
    would start a Mensa-linux group.

    --
    ++====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====+====+=====+=== ==+=====+=====+====++
    ||Arnold VICTOR, New York City, i. e., ||

  14. Re: Whoops, didn't mean to send that... (what do you call...)

    Wes Groleau wrote:
    > BUT, I'd venture to say that neither you
    > nor I probably meant very many of the thousands
    > of Mensans. And probably of all the ones we met,

    MET, not meant. Where are the brains when you need them?

    --
    Wes Groleau

    Words of the Wild Wes(t) = http://Ideas.Lang-Learn.us/WWW

  15. Re: Whoops, didn't mean to send that... (what do you call...)

    Wes Groleau wrote:
    > Christopher Hunter wrote:
    >> In my experience, most MENSA members are exceptionally good at IQ tests,
    >> but /entirely/ /useless/ at "real world" problems!

    > Although I started the anti-Mensa subthread,
    > let me backpedal a little. The official
    > entrance standard is 98th percentile of IQ
    > By accepting the 98% percentile on lots of
    > different tests, they probably expand to
    > about the 95th percentile. But the number
    > of people in that five percent who actually
    > join is probably less than one percent.
    > And how many of those do what I did?
    > (Discover you've joined a club dominated
    > by pompous blowhards and drop out.)
    >
    > BUT, I'd venture to say that neither you
    > nor I probably meant very many of the thousands
    > of Mensans. And probably of all the ones we met,
    > only the worst ones bothered to tell you they
    > were members. I know I'm usually reluctant to
    > reveal I once joined.
    >
    > On four IQ tests, one person scored less
    > than percentile 75, over 99.5, and two
    > values in between. Not very reliable,
    > are they?

    When I applied there were two ways of qualifying: submitting the result
    of a professionally administered IQ test taken fairly recently, or
    taking a test administered by the local club. I took the local club test
    and had the impression that it had seldom been updated. It was said that
    few flunked it, possibly because few people would submit themselves to
    humiliation without having felt well qualified to pass the test. I
    remember preparing myself by trying out a sample test on some website.

    --
    ++====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====+====+=====+=== ==+=====+=====+====++
    ||Arnold VICTOR, New York City, i. e., ||
    ||Arnoldo VIKTORO, Nov-jorkurbo, t. e., ||
    ||Remove capital letters from e-mail address for correct address/ ||
    || Forigu majusklajn literojn el e-poŝta adreso por ĝusta adreso ||
    ++====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====+====+=====+=== ==+=====+=====+====++
    NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the National Security
    Agency may have read this email without warning, warrant, or notice.
    They may do this without any judicial or legislative oversight. You
    have no recourse or protection.

  16. Re: Whoops, didn't mean to send that... (what do you call...)

    CBFalconer wrote:
    > AV3 wrote:
    > ... snip ...
    >> I wish some knowledgeable persons would start a Mensa-linux group.

    > Well, I see:
    >
    > alt.mensa.boston
    > alt.mensa
    > uk.org.mensa
    >
    > among others on my Usenet server.

    To be sure, most local groups have a public website, but the more
    interesting groups are called Special Interest Groups (SIGs), which have
    activities and message groups restricted to Mensa members. Websites
    probably wouldn't be in the alt.* groups.

    There are local, national, and international meetings, which I presume
    have websites, but I have yet to attend even one. There was a Mensa
    section meeting at the U. S. national astronomers meeting last fall, but
    it unfortunately conflicted with another activity and I missed it.

    --
    ++====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====+====+=====+=== ==+=====+=====+====++
    ||Arnold VICTOR, New York City, i. e., ||
    ||Arnoldo VIKTORO, Nov-jorkurbo, t. e., ||
    ||Remove capital letters from e-mail address for correct address/ ||
    || Forigu majusklajn literojn el e-poŝta adreso por ĝusta adreso ||
    ++====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====+====+=====+=== ==+=====+=====+====++
    NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the National Security
    Agency may have read this email without warning, warrant, or notice.
    They may do this without any judicial or legislative oversight. You
    have no recourse or protection.

  17. Re: Whoops, didn't mean to send that... (what do you call...)

    Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Sat, 31 May 2008 06:47:21 -0700, Bill wrote:
    >
    >> Dan C wrote:

    >>> Pretty poor imitation. Not the same thing at all.
    >>>
    >>> Bugger off, n00b.
    >>>

    >> Do we need a alt.os.ubuntu.insults group? Bill

    > Then this one would empty :-(

    Bugger off, n00b!
    ;-)

    --
    Moog

    "The G is for the gnarled face of someone who's on ninety thousand
    pounds a week who reckoned he should have had a throw in"

  18. Re: Whoops, didn't mean to send that... (what do you call...)

    Wes Groleau wrote:
    > Wes Groleau wrote:
    >> BUT, I'd venture to say that neither you
    >> nor I probably meant very many of the thousands
    >> of Mensans. And probably of all the ones we met,

    > MET, not meant. Where are the brains when you need them?

    I was going to let that slip, but you caught it.
    Brilliant minds have more neurons to keep track of.
    Anyway, what you said about scores is probably true.
    I've gotten 132 (hung over at the Army draft center).
    150 on line while talking to my boss.
    Something over 160 on the 'cream of the crop' test that was published in
    Omni magazine in 1979. I'm in there somewhere but I thing the Army test
    maxed at 132 because I was accused of 'cheating'. To get drafted???
    The meeting I went to was around 30 people on that night and the pompous
    asses probably sums it up. Bad puns, "I'm smarter than you." games of
    one upmanship, and some, only a little, good technical chatter.
    All for me,
    I goofed and stayed up all night.
    This Sunday will be groggy day for me.
    Bill Baka

  19. Re: Whoops, didn't mean to send that... (what do you call...)

    AV3 wrote:
    > Wes Groleau wrote:
    >> Christopher Hunter wrote:
    >>> In my experience, most MENSA members are exceptionally good at IQ tests,
    >>> but /entirely/ /useless/ at "real world" problems!

    >> On four IQ tests, one person scored less
    >> than percentile 75, over 99.5, and two
    >> values in between. Not very reliable,
    >> are they?
    >>

    > When I applied there were two ways of qualifying: submitting the result
    > of a professionally administered IQ test taken fairly recently, or
    > taking a test administered by the local club. I took the local club test
    > and had the impression that it had seldom been updated. It was said that
    > few flunked it, possibly because few people would submit themselves to
    > humiliation without having felt well qualified to pass the test. I
    > remember preparing myself by trying out a sample test on some website.

    I heard about that and that the Mensa battery took all day. I don't
    usually have all day, and if it isn't updated, what good is it?
    Bill Baka

  20. Re: Whoops, didn't mean to send that... (what do you call...)

    Bill wrote:
    > AV3 wrote:
    >> Wes Groleau wrote:
    >>>
    >>> On four IQ tests, one person scored less
    >>> than percentile 75, over 99.5, and two
    >>> values in between. Not very reliable,
    >>> are they?
    >>>

    >> When I applied there were two ways of qualifying: submitting the
    >> result of a professionally administered IQ test taken fairly recently,
    >> or taking a test administered by the local club. I took the local club
    >> test and had the impression that it had seldom been updated. It was
    >> said that few flunked it, possibly because few people would submit
    >> themselves to humiliation without having felt well qualified to pass
    >> the test. I remember preparing myself by trying out a sample test on
    >> some website.
    >>

    > I heard about that and that the Mensa battery took all day. I don't
    > usually have all day, and if it isn't updated, what good is it?

    Mine took two or three hours, and I was out in good time for lunch. As
    to outdated, it is purely a personal judgement that the test they gave
    me in 2001 seemed little different in character from the previous such
    test I took in junior high school. I pride myself on a good memory, but
    I wasn't taking notes for comparison back in the 1950's. YMMD.

    --
    ++====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====+====+=====+=== ==+=====+=====+====++
    ||Arnold VICTOR, New York City, i. e., ||
    ||Arnoldo VIKTORO, Nov-jorkurbo, t. e., ||
    ||Remove capital letters from e-mail address for correct address/ ||
    || Forigu majusklajn literojn el e-poŝta adreso por ĝusta adreso ||
    NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the National Security
    Agency may have read this email without warning, warrant, or notice.
    They may do this without any judicial or legislative oversight. You
    have no recourse or protection.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast