If a troll is this, what do you call that? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on If a troll is this, what do you call that? - Ubuntu ; Everybody knows that a troll is somebody who posts to a newsgroup to get attention, particularly to rile people up and start flame wars. Like Goldfart. But what do you call the people who, when a newby like me comes ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 49

  1. If a troll is this, what do you call that?

    Everybody knows that a troll is somebody who posts to a newsgroup to
    get attention, particularly to rile people up and start flame wars.
    Like Goldfart.

    But what do you call the people who, when a newby like me comes in and
    starts asking questions, tell him, read the faq, look it up in google,
    and other answers that basically say this is our corner of usenet and
    we don't want you here?

  2. Re: If a troll is this, what do you call that?

    Todd wrote:
    > Everybody knows that a troll is somebody who posts to a newsgroup to
    > get attention, particularly to rile people up and start flame wars.
    > Like Goldfart.
    >
    > But what do you call the people who, when a newby like me comes in and
    > starts asking questions, tell him, read the faq, look it up in google,
    > and other answers that basically say this is our corner of usenet and
    > we don't want you here?

    This is Usenet and all kinds show up. You'll learn pretty quickly who is
    friendly and who gives good advice and who isn't and who doesn't.

    Alias

  3. Re: If a troll is this, what do you call that?

    asshole is the word you were lookig for

    aOn 2008-05-26, Todd wrote:
    > Everybody knows that a troll is somebody who posts to a newsgroup to
    > get attention, particularly to rile people up and start flame wars.
    > Like Goldfart.
    >
    > But what do you call the people who, when a newby like me comes in and
    > starts asking questions, tell him, read the faq, look it up in google,
    > and other answers that basically say this is our corner of usenet and
    > we don't want you here?

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  4. Re: If a troll is this, what do you call that?

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 15:56:11 -0700, Todd wrote:

    > Everybody knows that a troll is somebody who posts to a newsgroup to
    > get attention, particularly to rile people up and start flame wars.
    > Like Goldfart.

    Don't know any "Goldfart", but you certainly fit the above description.

    > But what do you call the people who, when a newby like me comes in and
    > starts asking questions, tell him, read the faq, look it up in google,
    > and other answers that basically say this is our corner of usenet and
    > we don't want you here?

    How about: "Ignorant Win-droid scumbag troll asswipe"?

    Now filtering out all posts originating from Google Groups.

  5. Re: If a troll is this, what do you call that?

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 15:56:11 -0700, Todd wrote:

    > Everybody knows that a troll is somebody who posts to a newsgroup to
    > get attention, particularly to rile people up and start flame wars.
    > Like Goldfart.
    >
    > But what do you call the people who, when a newby like me comes in and
    > starts asking questions, tell him, read the faq, look it up in google,
    > and other answers that basically say this is our corner of usenet and
    > we don't want you here?

    Assholes, every news group has a few and they are abundant here. Ignore
    them.

  6. Re: If a troll is this, what do you call that?

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 19:30:50 -0500, Dan C wrote:

    > On Mon, 26 May 2008 15:56:11 -0700, Todd wrote:
    >
    >> Everybody knows that a troll is somebody who posts to a newsgroup to
    >> get attention, particularly to rile people up and start flame wars.
    >> Like Goldfart.

    > Don't know any "Goldfart", but you certainly fit the above description.
    >
    >> But what do you call the people who, when a newby like me comes in and
    >> starts asking questions, tell him, read the faq, look it up in google,
    >> and other answers that basically say this is our corner of usenet and
    >> we don't want you here?

    > How about: "Ignorant Win-droid scumbag troll asswipe"?

    Too long. Dan C is short and well fitting the description.

  7. Re: If a troll is this, what do you call that?

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 15:56:11 -0700, Todd wrote:

    > But what do you call the people who, when a newby like me comes in and
    > starts asking questions, tell him, read the faq, look it up in google,
    > and other answers that basically say this is our corner of usenet and
    > we don't want you here?

    Looking at that last part of the sentence, I would suggest
    might be a good read and book marking
    http://groups.google.com/advanced_search
    might help.

    As for the other posters, after awhile you choose who to put in your
    kill file.

  8. Re: If a troll is this, what do you call that?

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Mon, 26 May 2008 15:56:11 -0700, Todd wrote:
    >> But what do you call the people who, when a newby like me comes in and
    >> starts asking questions, tell him, read the faq, look it up in google,
    >> and other answers that basically say this is our corner of usenet and
    >> we don't want you here?

    > Looking at that last part of the sentence, I would suggest

    > http://groups.google.com/advanced_search
    > might help.

    Love advanced search,,,,,but multiple phrase search doesn't seem to work
    as well as it did a year ago. Don't know if it's my imagination or not,
    but the quotes around the separate phrases seems to disappear as soon as
    I click on the search button.....ending up with a multiple "or" search
    results on individual words.

    My imagination or.......?? :-)

  9. Re: If a troll is this, what do you call that?

    On Tue, 27 May 2008 01:38:32 GMT, propman wrote:

    >> http://groups.google.com/advanced_search
    >> might help.

    > Love advanced search,,,,,but multiple phrase search doesn't seem to work
    > as well as it did a year ago. Don't know if it's my imagination or not,
    > but the quotes around the separate phrases seems to disappear as soon as
    > I click on the search button.....ending up with a multiple "or" search
    > results on individual words.
    >
    > My imagination or.......?? :-)

    I do not know, I am usually pasting in an error message and it is pretty
    easy to see posts which apply.

  10. Re: If a troll is this, what do you call that?

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 15:56:11 -0700, Todd wrote:

    > Everybody knows that a troll is somebody who posts to a newsgroup to get
    > attention, particularly to rile people up and start flame wars. Like
    > Goldfart.
    >
    > But what do you call the people who, when a newby like me comes in and
    > starts asking questions, tell him, read the faq, look it up in google,
    > and other answers that basically say this is our corner of usenet and we
    > don't want you here?

    I'm going to echo the posters who said "asshole." The real bastards,
    though, are the ones who tell you "RTFM" or suggest "man (command)"
    without reading your post -- where you say "I read the man page and don't
    understand." Being told to RTFM after RTFMing is infuriating.
    Sometimes, the man page, faqs, google and forums don't turn anything up.

    You just have to learn who is worth a damn and who isn't.

    By Goldfart do you mean Moshe Goldfarb?

  11. Re: If a troll is this, what do you call that?

    In Mon, 26 May 2008 18:56:11, Todd wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    > Everybody knows that a troll is somebody who posts to a newsgroup to
    > get attention, particularly to rile people up and start flame wars.
    > Like Goldfart.
    >
    > But what do you call the people who, when a newby like me comes in and
    > starts asking questions, tell him, read the faq, look it up in google,
    > and other answers that basically say this is our corner of usenet and
    > we don't want you here?

    Assholes... Although "Dan C" is shorter.

    Saludos,
    AHG
    --
    Laughing Stock: A herd of cows with ticklish teats.

  12. Re: If a troll is this, what do you call that?

    Todd wrote:
    > Everybody knows that a troll is somebody who posts to a newsgroup to
    > get attention, particularly to rile people up and start flame wars.
    > Like Goldfart.
    >
    > But what do you call the people who, when a newby like me comes in and
    > starts asking questions, tell him, read the faq, look it up in google,
    > and other answers that basically say this is our corner of usenet and
    > we don't want you here?

    I'd call those who point you in a direction for assistance a "helper."

    The others I'd say are just a figment of your misunderstanding.

    Did you question your school teachers when you didn't understand their
    method of teaching? You may have asked for a different explanation, but
    I doubt you would tell the teacher their style of teaching was "wrong."

    My telling you to look something up saves me from looking it up, copying
    it, pasting it into a reply, posting it, and then you having to read it
    anyway.

    I want you to learn how and where to find information, instead of
    relying on spoon-feeding, which may be something you don't like.

    Besides, how do you know something you read in a group like this is the
    truth, or just someone's "opinion"?

    I try to point people to the sources where I find the answers. Then if
    they have a problem with the answer, they can take it up with the author
    -- and not shoot the messenger. I don't appreciate it when I have to
    dodge bullets when I provide help. The reader can either use it or not.
    They can thank me, or keep quiet. They can add additional information or
    not.

    Learn one important fact now: there are usually multiple methods to do
    anything in a Unix-based system. One answer is not always the way you
    might prefer, at least not in this stage of your Linux education.

    Nobody has said they didn't want you here. I made a statement that if
    you liked so-and-so on Windows better, then why aren't you using Windows.

    You are here because you evidentially do want to learn, and because you
    know Windows is not secure nor stable. Free of monetary cost might be
    somewhat influential too, as well as freedom from restrictive EULAs
    being far more important. Those ideals alone are worth the possible loss
    of some familiar Windows way of doing something.

    Most of us already know that, and we really don't want to hear about
    Windows stuff. It's all water under the bridge. When you mention
    something that is despised by so many, you are going to attract
    attention, and flames. The solution is to not bring up that subject.
    It's always off-topic here. ;-)

    However, you are free to roam USENET and post whatever you want. You
    should weigh the cost of your time to the expected results. Fine-tune
    your requests so there are no openings for flaming.

    Reading FAQs, man pages, and learning how to effectively use search
    engines, is extremely critical to your Linux education. Listen to the
    hard-earned wisdom of those who have been there and done that. Some of
    us wear many scars, and don't want to see you reinventing the wheel when
    you don't need to.

    --
    John

  13. Re: If a troll is this, what do you call that?

    On 2008-05-27, Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Tue, 27 May 2008 01:38:32 GMT, propman wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://groups.google.com/advanced_search
    >>> might help.

    >> Love advanced search,,,,,but multiple phrase search doesn't seem to work
    >> as well as it did a year ago. Don't know if it's my imagination or not,
    >> but the quotes around the separate phrases seems to disappear as soon as
    >> I click on the search button.....ending up with a multiple "or" search
    >> results on individual words.
    >>
    >> My imagination or.......?? :-)

    > I do not know, I am usually pasting in an error message and it is pretty
    > easy to see posts which apply.

    You might try typing it directly into the search slot instead of using

    "ubuntu kernel" OR "kubuntu kernel" OR "xubuntu kernel"

    To look for info about [kx]untuntu kernels.

    --

  14. Re: If a troll is this, what do you call that?

    "John F. Morse" wrote:

    >Nobody has said they didn't want you here. I made a statement that if
    >you liked so-and-so on Windows better, then why aren't you using Windows.

    Vista.

    Actually, I like Windows XP, but I don't like Bill Gates, and I
    despise Microsoft.

    I hoped OS2 would take off, but I knew, especially when they had to
    sell it as OS2 *for Windows*, that it was doomed.

  15. Re: If a troll is this, what do you call that?

    >Todd
    >But what do you call the people who, when a newby like me comes in and
    >starts asking questions, tell him, read the faq, look it up in google,
    >and other answers that basically say this is our corner of usenet and
    >we don't want you here?

    Ubuntu "advocates". Really.

    They're the best thing that ever happened to all the other Linux distros.

  16. Re: If a troll is this, what do you call that?

    Jim Cochrane wrote:
    >>> Love advanced search,,,,,but multiple phrase search doesn't seem to work
    >>> as well as it did a year ago. Don't know if it's my imagination or not,
    >>> but the quotes around the separate phrases seems to disappear as soon as
    >>> I click on the search button.....ending up with a multiple "or" search
    >>> results on individual words.
    >>>
    >>> My imagination or.......?? :-)

    >> I do not know, I am usually pasting in an error message and it is pretty
    >> easy to see posts which apply.

    > You might try typing it directly into the search slot instead of using
    >
    > "ubuntu kernel" OR "kubuntu kernel" OR "xubuntu kernel"
    >
    > To look for info about [kx]untuntu kernels.

    Thanks for the tip.....went to the regular search and tried ""ubuntu
    kernel" AND "kubuntu kernel" AND "xubuntu kernel"" which worked fine.
    Thought it was weird that it would work in normal search but not in
    in advanced search. Found out I was entering the search data in the
    wrong field due to some old habits of mine dating back to the time when
    searches were only done with boolean operators.

    Just needed to twist my frame of view on this topic and you provided the
    trigger....thanks again. :-)

  17. Re: If a troll is this, what do you call that?

    Jeff Glatt illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > Ubuntu "advocates". Really.
    >
    > They're the best thing that ever happened to all the other Linux distros.

    Oh. Hello Jeff. Here again? You cannot resist the place can you?

    Is Ubuntu still *too* "brown" and "over-hyped" for you?

    --
    Moog

    "The G is for the gnarled face of someone who's on ninety thousand
    pounds a week who reckoned he should have had a throw in"

  18. Re: If a troll is this, what do you call that?

    On Tue, 27 May 2008 19:22:29 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > Is Ubuntu still *too* "brown" and "over-hyped" for you?

    It is for me.

    Now filtering out all posts originating from Google Groups.

  19. Re: If a troll is this, what do you call that?

    Adam Lawson wrote:

    >By Goldfart do you mean Moshe Goldfarb?

    Because of the width of the sender column on my reader, on his current
    name format (with the , and .), the round part of the b was cut off,
    making it look like a t. And I thought, how appropriate.

  20. Re: If a troll is this, what do you call that?

    Dan C wrote:
    > On Tue, 27 May 2008 19:22:29 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >
    >> Is Ubuntu still *too* "brown" and "over-hyped" for you?

    > It is for me.

    Not for me.

    TBH it's no more restricted to brown than Windows is restricted to telly
    tubby ball-pit colours.

    I'm a first time /Ubuntu home/ PC user (used lots in work server
    environments where *nix excels)

    From install to personal tweak it's been nothing but a smooth ride. I
    had to do a similar amount of work on a desktop level in Windows to get
    it how I like it but to be honest, Ubuntu is just a smoother experience.
    I can't see it being the killer of OS installs in its current form
    because of one major sales flaw .. Linux is regarded as running on the
    majority of hardware... which it may do to some degree, but then so did
    Windows ME (which I had no issues with either btw). I have had a test
    laptop for some time now, consisting of crap hardware, wierd wireless
    card, all sorts of wierd stuff I could find to make it as hard as I
    could etc etc .. windows just worked.. whereas every Linux distro failed
    even running the text based install.

    Then there was Gutsy.

    For the first time it worked, I knew the right path was being taken.

    Where it (*nix) really pulls punches is in the ethos of its existence ..
    corporations be damned, its head and shoulders above that; people
    actually care about it instead of spouting the intolerant tripe
    associated with trolls and such.

    Z.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast