If a troll is this, what do you call that? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on If a troll is this, what do you call that? - Ubuntu ; On Thu, 29 May 2008 02:03:55 -0400, CBFalconer wrote: > Some peoples 'help' is totally worthless, and you > have to learn to tell them apart. This is true, and good advice. One quick way to tell if something is ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 49 of 49

  1. Re: If a troll is this, what do you call that?

    On Thu, 29 May 2008 02:03:55 -0400, CBFalconer wrote:

    > Some peoples 'help' is totally worthless, and you
    > have to learn to tell them apart.

    This is true, and good advice. One quick way to tell if something is
    worthless is to note if it came from someone called "CBFalconer", who is
    widely known as an ignorant and clueless stooge, who uses Windows98 to
    this day. Ask him, he won't deny it.

    Hey stooge, fix your non-Usenet-compliant signature block, which is
    *STILL* broken.

    Now filtering out all posts originating from Google Groups.

  2. Re: If a troll is this, what do you call that?

    John F. Morse wrote:
    > Wes Groleau wrote:
    >> Either way, I figure that whenever someone succeeds in irritating
    >> me, the most productive response is to direct a few keystrokes
    >> at the killfile rather than the source of irritation.

    > That may be a solution, but it certainly cuts off any chance to learn
    > something from the dead.

    There aren't enough hours in the day to learn from
    everyone who remains "living"

    --
    Wes Groleau

    Even if you do learn to speak correct English,
    whom are you going to speak it to?
    -- Clarence Darrow

  3. Re: If a troll is this, what do you call that?

    In Wes Groleau:

    [Snip...]

    > aren't enough hours in the day to learn from everyone who remains "living"

    Indeed. I generally silently plonk persistent dumbasses and trolls. I am
    an old man, and I've found the willfully ignorant rarely "see the light"
    or suddenly overcome their megalomania in a flash of insight.

    If it's persistent, willful noise to me, it's history, ASAP.

    I toss GoogleGroup posts from gitgo (http://improve-usenet.org).

  4. Re: If a troll is this, what do you call that?

    On Wed, 28 May 2008 15:56:22 -0700
    Bill wrote:

    [...]
    > I had OS/2 working nicely in 1995, along with an early Linux, and DOS
    > with windows 3.1. Then I made the mistake of putting a windows 95 CD in
    > my computer and it ran a scandisk /f on all my drives and killed about a
    > years worth of work and data. I almost frisbeed the CD into a wall but
    > managed to exchange it for a Warp 4 CD, but that version of OS/2 was
    > just the death throes, last gasp, for Os/2.

    [...]

    I guess you have not tried eComStation then? If one like(d|s) OS/2 then
    eComStation (eCS) is the current choice for that as OS/2 is still under thehood
    of eCS. Go check out www.ecomstation.com and my recent web log articles about
    building computers for eCS:

    http://blog.eracc.com/2008/04/07/bui...onal-computer/
    http://blog.eracc.com/2008/05/26/mul...d-ecomstation/

    There are many folks still using OS/2 under the name of eComStation right now.
    The OS/2 Workplace Shell is still the finest concept for a GUI to date that
    lives on with eComStation. Hopefully the Voyager Project at Netlabs will get us
    an OSS version of the WPS that is ported to several operating environments
    including Linux:

    http://blog.eracc.com/2008/03/29/oh-...s-my-os2-gone/

    Gene (e-mail: usenet0 \a\t eracc \d\o\t com)
    My latest Blog article: http://preview.tinyurl.com/6nkhsq
    'FedEx.com Says “Not You” to Linux Users?'
    Got Rute? http://www.anrdoezrs.net/email-25465...sbn=0130333514
    ERA Computers & Consulting - http://www.eracc.com/
    Preloaded PCs - eComStation, Linux, FreeBSD, OpenServer & UnixWare

  5. Re: If a troll is this, what do you call that?

    ERACC wrote:
    > On Wed, 28 May 2008 15:56:22 -0700
    > Bill wrote:
    >
    > [...]
    >> I had OS/2 working nicely in 1995, along with an early Linux, and DOS
    >> with windows 3.1. Then I made the mistake of putting a windows 95 CD in
    >> my computer and it ran a scandisk /f on all my drives and killed about a
    >> years worth of work and data. I almost frisbeed the CD into a wall but
    >> managed to exchange it for a Warp 4 CD, but that version of OS/2 was
    >> just the death throes, last gasp, for Os/2.

    > [...]
    >
    > I guess you have not tried eComStation then? If one like(d|s) OS/2 then
    > eComStation (eCS) is the current choice for that as OS/2 is still under the hood
    > of eCS. Go check out www.ecomstation.com and my recent web log articles about
    > building computers for eCS:

    Well, I do build my one and did like OS/2 so either I have to remember
    what I did 13 years back or just try to jump into eComStation.

    > http://blog.eracc.com/2008/04/07/bui...onal-computer/
    > http://blog.eracc.com/2008/05/26/mul...d-ecomstation/
    >
    > There are many folks still using OS/2 under the name of eComStation right now.
    > The OS/2 Workplace Shell is still the finest concept for a GUI to date that
    > lives on with eComStation. Hopefully the Voyager Project at Netlabs will get us
    > an OSS version of the WPS that is ported to several operating environments
    > including Linux:
    >
    > http://blog.eracc.com/2008/03/29/oh-...s-my-os2-gone/
    >
    > Gene (e-mail: usenet0 \a\t eracc \d\o\t com)
    > My latest Blog article: http://preview.tinyurl.com/6nkhsq
    > 'FedEx.com Says “Not You” to Linux Users?'

    Sounds good, and thanks for the URL's. If I can work that into my
    multi-boot scheme I will be happy. I'm not quite running a server farm
    yet but my computer area at home is getting clogged.
    Thanks again,
    Bill Baka

  6. Re: If a troll is this, what do you call that?

    ERACC wrote:
    > On Wed, 28 May 2008 15:56:22 -0700
    > Bill wrote:
    >
    > [...]
    >> I had OS/2 working nicely in 1995, along with an early Linux, and DOS
    >> with windows 3.1. Then I made the mistake of putting a windows 95 CD in
    >> my computer and it ran a scandisk /f on all my drives and killed about a
    >> years worth of work and data. I almost frisbeed the CD into a wall but
    >> managed to exchange it for a Warp 4 CD, but that version of OS/2 was
    >> just the death throes, last gasp, for Os/2.

    > [...]
    >
    > I guess you have not tried eComStation then? If one like(d|s) OS/2 then
    > eComStation (eCS) is the current choice for that as OS/2 is still under the hood
    > of eCS. Go check out www.ecomstation.com and my recent web log articles about
    > building computers for eCS:

    Well, I do build my one and did like OS/2 so either I have to remember
    what I did 13 years back or just try to jump into eComStation.

    > http://blog.eracc.com/2008/04/07/bui...onal-computer/
    > http://blog.eracc.com/2008/05/26/mul...d-ecomstation/
    >
    > There are many folks still using OS/2 under the name of eComStation right now.
    > The OS/2 Workplace Shell is still the finest concept for a GUI to date that
    > lives on with eComStation. Hopefully the Voyager Project at Netlabs will get us
    > an OSS version of the WPS that is ported to several operating environments
    > including Linux:
    >
    > http://blog.eracc.com/2008/03/29/oh-...s-my-os2-gone/
    >
    > Gene (e-mail: usenet0 \a\t eracc \d\o\t com)
    > My latest Blog article: http://preview.tinyurl.com/6nkhsq
    > 'FedEx.com Says “Not You” to Linux Users?'

    Sounds good, and thanks for the URL's. If I can work that into my
    multi-boot scheme I will be happy. I'm not quite running a server farm
    yet but my computer area at home is getting clogged.
    Thanks again,
    Bill Baka

  7. Re: If a troll is this, what do you call that?

    On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 06:21:14 -0700
    Bill wrote:

    > ERACC wrote:
    > > On Wed, 28 May 2008 15:56:22 -0700
    > > Bill wrote:
    > >
    > > [...]
    > >> I had OS/2 working nicely in 1995, along with an early Linux, and DOS
    > >> with windows 3.1. Then I made the mistake of putting a windows 95 CD in
    > >> my computer and it ran a scandisk /f on all my drives and killed abouta
    > >> years worth of work and data. I almost frisbeed the CD into a wall but
    > >> managed to exchange it for a Warp 4 CD, but that version of OS/2 was
    > >> just the death throes, last gasp, for Os/2.

    > > [...]
    > >
    > > I guess you have not tried eComStation then? If one like(d|s) OS/2 then
    > > eComStation (eCS) is the current choice for that as OS/2 is still underthe
    > > hood of eCS. Go check out www.ecomstation.com and my recent web log
    > > articles about building computers for eCS:

    [...]
    > Sounds good, and thanks for the URL's. If I can work that into my
    > multi-boot scheme I will be happy. I'm not quite running a server farm
    > yet but my computer area at home is getting clogged.

    If you want to get information on your hardware check the eCS hardware database
    at (http://en.ecomstation.ru/hardware.php). Uhm, we should also probably be
    discussing this in comp.os.os2.ecomstation so I am adding that group and
    putting it in as the followup-to on this reply. There is an eCS specific news
    server at news.ecomstation.nl where one can get official and semi-official
    support. I think it is the better choice for information should you be
    considering eComStation.

    Gene (e-mail: usenet0 \a\t eracc \d\o\t com)
    My latest Blog article: http://preview.tinyurl.com/6nkhsq
    'FedEx.com Says “Not You” to Linux Users?'
    Got Rute? http://www.anrdoezrs.net/email-25465...sbn=0130333514
    ERA Computers & Consulting - http://www.eracc.com/
    Preloaded PCs - eComStation, Linux, FreeBSD, OpenServer & UnixWare

  8. Re: If a troll is this, what do you call that?

    ERACC wrote:
    > On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 06:21:14 -0700
    > Bill wrote:
    >
    >> ERACC wrote:
    >>> On Wed, 28 May 2008 15:56:22 -0700
    >>> Bill wrote:
    >>>
    >>> [...]
    >>> [...]
    >>>
    >>> I guess you have not tried eComStation then? If one like(d|s) OS/2 then
    >>> eComStation (eCS) is the current choice for that as OS/2 is still under the
    >>> hood of eCS. Go check out www.ecomstation.com and my recent web log
    >>> articles about building computers for eCS:

    > [...]
    >> Sounds good, and thanks for the URL's. If I can work that into my
    >> multi-boot scheme I will be happy. I'm not quite running a server farm
    >> yet but my computer area at home is getting clogged.

    > If you want to get information on your hardware check the eCS hardware database
    > at (http://en.ecomstation.ru/hardware.php).

    I did find a hardware checker in the repository that is now in my menu
    and attempts to find and list all the hardware. Ecomstation will get
    tried but time is a problem. It's summer and I am bicycling during the
    days of the summer for my super fitness program. Health first, gets the
    blood flowing to the brain better.

    Uhm, we should also probably be
    > discussing this in comp.os.os2.ecomstation so I am adding that group and
    > putting it in as the followup-to on this reply. There is an eCS specific news
    > server at news.ecomstation.nl where one can get official and semi-official
    > support. I think it is the better choice for information should you be
    > considering eComStation.

    This looks good so that will be my evening chore.
    Thanks,
    Bill Baka

    > Gene (e-mail: usenet0 \a\t eracc \d\o\t com)
    > My latest Blog article: http://preview.tinyurl.com/6nkhsq
    > 'FedEx.com Says “Not You” to Linux Users?'

  9. Re: If a troll is this, what do you call that?

    In <20080531155302.3d52909f@eracc.UUCP>, on 05/31/08
    at 03:53 PM, ERACC said:

    >I guess you have not tried eComStation then? If one like(d|s) OS/2 then
    >eComStation (eCS) is the current choice for that as OS/2 is still under
    >the hood of eCS. Go check out www.ecomstation.com and my recent web log
    >articles about building computers for eCS:

    >http://blog.eracc.com/2008/04/07/bui...onal-computer/
    >http://blog.eracc.com/2008/05/26/mul...d-ecomstation/

    >There are many folks still using OS/2 under the name of eComStation right
    >now. The OS/2 Workplace Shell is still the finest concept for a GUI to
    >date that lives on with eComStation. Hopefully the Voyager Project at
    >Netlabs will get us an OSS version of the WPS that is ported to several
    >operating environments including Linux:

    I'm using it. I'm far from a computer expert, but OS/2 was the OS I used,
    so I went to eCS when it came out. I have an XP partition I rarely use
    (usually just to update antivirus and antispyware databases), and I added
    Ubuntu last year to try to learn a little about it (not much luck so far -
    I'm used to command lines more than anything else.)

    I'm having a problem with Ubuntu that perhaps can be helped. I upgraded
    7.10 to 8.04. When I booted, the desktop was off-center. If I use the
    monitor controls to center the desktop, will that affect the displays of
    eCS and XP?

    Alan

    Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.2R

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3